nbr
BHPian

Exclamation TATA warned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
News reports of low floor DTC buses catching fire/smoke in New Delhi

Low-floor Delhi bus catches fire; thi... - Google News

-- Wind
The Delhi govt has warned TATA motors to rectify the issues immediatley .I feel this is a bad image created about TATA low floor buses.
Old 14th December 2009, 00:33   #1982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
The Delhi govt has warned TATA motors to rectify the issues immediatley .I feel this is a bad image created about TATA low floor buses.
We had this problem in BEST Bombay also initially, not heard of any incidents lately..
Old 14th December 2009, 19:10   #1983
BHPian

Quote:
Humorous take on this from Faking news
Tata Group to perform corporate Yajna to please Agni devta | Faking News
Old 14th December 2009, 20:49   #1984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold class View Post
MERCEDES BENZ - New Multi-Axle.
Wow. The bus looks just looks awesome. Check out their website

Mercedes-Benz India - Commercial Vehicles - Bus
Old 14th December 2009, 21:51   #1985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
Wow. The bus looks just looks awesome. Check out their website

Mercedes-Benz India - Commercial Vehicles - Bus
Oh! The bus finally makes an appearance on the Merc India Website! Am glad!

To be really honest, the bus looks damn cute on some pics on the website - especially those with the headlamps on - am lovin the bus for the first time.
Old 14th December 2009, 22:38   #1986
BHPian

Quote:
TATA motors has been fined 4 crores.

Delhi government fines Tata Motors Rs.4 crore- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 14th December 2009, 22:45   #1987
Senior - BHPian

1) Out of approx. 700 bus inspected by Tata. 10-20% have some error.

2) There is a 5 member team from Tata motors currently in Delhi.

3) Delhi government has give 45 days time to overhaul/inspect the busses.

4) Further order for around 100 busses are now on hold. ( Somebody please confirm ).

5) There were 6 incidents in 14 days reported for these low floor busses.

6) Initial reports suggest some Bush issue as culprit.

7) Rs. 4 crore fine in slapped on Tata.

Heard all this on Zee News.
Old 14th December 2009, 23:06   #1988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Oh! The bus finally makes an appearance on the Merc India Website! Am glad!

To be really honest, the bus looks damn cute on some pics on the website - especially those with the headlamps on - am lovin the bus for the first time.
Thanks for the link, kadri007.
The multi-axle model features cruise control as standard.
Seeing from the pics that the rear axles have a wheel each, making it 6 wheels in total. Is it similar on the Volvo 9400 series as well?
Old 15th December 2009, 00:56   #1989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats due to a very simple reason - these buses are front engined, while the ones delivered to DTC are rear-engined!
The buses delivered to BMTC are SLFs.
Thanks binaiks. So it looks like BMTC got Tata SLF buses built by ACGL, Veera etc and also front engined Tata Marcopolo SLF buses. Is there any difference between the two as far as spec goes (LP1618?), or just happened to made in 2 different body designs, probably at 2 different plants.

By the way, the link i posted earlier quotes Mr Garg "The cost incurred for these (AC Tata Marcopolo) buses is less than half of Volvo buses (around Rs. 30 lakh)". Not sure how far it is true though, if it is true, i would say it is defenitely VFM.
Old 15th December 2009, 07:57   #1990
Senior - BHPian

I could not take a picture, but I saw a TATA 709 LP bus, with a different body, under the SKOOL brand, which was badged as a MARCOPOLO. Should be able to get some pictures since the school is in the vicinity.
Old 15th December 2009, 09:23   #1991
BHPian

^^^^ That was launched last year. The body is simply one step ahead of the rest of the vehicles.
Old 15th December 2009, 16:45   #1992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Thanks binaiks. So it looks like BMTC got Tata SLF buses built by ACGL, Veera etc and also front engined Tata Marcopolo SLF buses. Is there any difference between the two as far as spec goes (LP1618?), or just happened to made in 2 different body designs, probably at 2 different plants.
Both are LPO1618 FE chassis. No difference other than the body. There are 1618 buses built by KMS coach, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
By the way, the link i posted earlier quotes Mr Garg "The cost incurred for these (AC Tata Marcopolo) buses is less than half of Volvo buses (around Rs. 30 lakh)". Not sure how far it is true though, if it is true, i would say it is defenitely VFM.
Sure! A Bajaj Autorickshaw would be more VFM when compared with the Marcopolo!

The Volvo is a true low-floor bus with a 290hp rear-mounted engine. This bus comes with all bells and whistles including kneel-function, etc, etc.

The Marcopolo is a Semi-Low Floor Chassis (650mm entry height) with a 180hp engine powering the AC as well. Other than the AC, the bus has nothing extra to boast about - in short, the Marcopolo just a normal body mounted on a rear-engine chassis.

Do you still prefer compare the two buses? If Yes, I have no comments. I'd have a comment only when the comparison is equal.
Old 15th December 2009, 16:53   #1993
BHPian

Quote:
The Volvo is a true low-floor bus with a 290hp rear-mounted engine. This bus comes with all bells and whistles including kneel-function, etc, etc.

The Marcopolo is a Semi-Low Floor Chassis (650mm entry height) with a 180hp engine powering the AC as well. Other than the AC, the bus has nothing extra to boast about - in short, the Marcopolo just a normal body mounted on a rear-engine chassis.

Do you still prefer compare the two buses? If Yes, I have no comments. I'd have a comment only when the comparison is equal.
But its BMTC which decided to buy Marco Polo on 1618 and not a 1623 (is the 1625 offered only as CNG?) which is readily available from Marco Polo itself with decent features. Obviously the question is whether they need these bells and whistles? If not, why did they choose to go for a basic 1618 despite the availability of superior variants?

Last edited by Trapezio : 15th December 2009 at 16:55.
Old 15th December 2009, 17:52   #1994
BHPian

I saw a Orange Tata Marcopolo bus today near Hebbal in bangalore. The bus was brand new but was not looking that shiny and impressive.
Old 15th December 2009, 21:43   #1995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
But its BMTC which decided to buy Marco Polo on 1618 and not a 1623 (is the 1625 offered only as CNG?) which is readily available from Marco Polo itself with decent features. Obviously the question is whether they need these bells and whistles? If not, why did they choose to go for a basic 1618 despite the availability of superior variants?
Did I say BMTC was "given" the low powered version? My answer was to the point that Marcopolo at 31 Lakhs is VFM, since one has to pay 80 for a Volvo. The post was just to provide the difference between the two versions, which is essential to know before saying the model is VFM compared to the other.

The normal product from Marcopolo (230hp for AC versions and 205hp for non-AC versions. There is NO 250hp variant) is a low-floor product. The idea behind BMTC's Marcopolo is to provide a low-cost AC service, in addition to the premium Volvo service.

According to BMTC's own claims, these Marcopolos would be used to provide AC service to sections who may not be able to afford the fare structure of a Volvo. However, there would be efforts not to have both the service on a particular route (obviously because a low cost service would eat into the Volvo's revenue). Since BMTC plans a low cost service, they are obviously not looking for bells and whistles (which would anyways be provided by the Volvo service).

Plus - the AC bus was offered by TATA for no extra cost. Yes! Records obtained from JNNURM website show that the estimate submitted by BMTC for "100 Semi-Low Floor Non AC buses" show the same amount as it is for "100 Semi-Low Floor AC buses"! This means that TATA was charging 31 Lakhs a piece for the non-AC Marcopolo, but later offered to provide the AC variant at 31 Lakhs!
Closed Thread