Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 24th December 2009, 16:50   #2056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
Tata Cummins makes B series engines at Jamshedpur plant. More that 90% of the output is for Tata. Eicher, AMW etc also use this engines, but dont think its supplied by Tata cummins (JV).

The AL 3531 and some defence application models is fitted with Cummins L series which is made at Pune plant of "Cummins India". Even the ISBE series for Tata World truck and C series on Novus is made at Pune.

AFAIK AL CNG buses for DTC are the only bus models fitted with cummins B series gas engines. Its so, as per the specifications of DTC.

AL right now produces 3 models of MDV bus with Cummins B series engine. 2 in SLF platform ( 145 and 172 KW power) and 1 in ULE platform (172 KW power).

Apart from that AL is producing CNG powered Lynx with H series 4DG engine with 63 KW power.

AL is not producing any defence models with CNG fuel option.

The 3135 (and not 3531) is a concept and based on that the product is yet to the launched in FVDP platform, in diesel.
This engine initially sourced from cummins was later derated to
300 BHP from 350 and was fitted in 4930 LHD Tractors supplied to Honduras in Jan earlier this year.
But AL is unlikely to use this engine in domestic market yet.
Old 24th December 2009, 17:05   #2057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
I am not at all pleased with the engines of these buses. They are too noisy. I would prefer Tata CNG engines over these.

EDIT: I am referring to the engines of JNNURM CNG posted on earlier page.
Engine noise is more a function of the exhaust design, not the engines themselves.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 24th December 2009, 17:10   #2058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

A smaller engine mounted (usually at the back) just to drive the AC compressor.

Slave engines are used by Volvo, Mercedes, Neoplan in Air conditioned Vestibule buses, double decker buses to power Ac compressor. This is quite common in abroad.
In India we are unused to Ac in this type of buses.
Old 25th December 2009, 17:24   #2059
BANNED

These AL buses have the same platform, if i am nt wrong, if the BEST MUTP SLF buses. BS3
Old 25th December 2009, 17:48   #2060
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : Engine noise is more a function of the exhaust design, not the engines themselves.
Dont think so. To help understand this better, check out engine noise & exhaust note in a front engine bus. The engine & exhaust pipe in a front engine bus are sufficiently spaced to make out the difference. One factor that can blur the difference is that the both sounds will rise/fall depending upon engine speed.

Also, have you noticed that some private busses have a more aggressive exhaust note than others ? I'd bet that if we were able to get two such examples for checking, the engines would still sound similar.
Old 25th December 2009, 20:57   #2061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Also, have you noticed that some private busses have a more aggressive exhaust note than others ? I'd bet that if we were able to get two such examples for checking, the engines would still sound similar.

If you are meaning AL buses, Ican assure you that this is due to "tuning". Some buses are err.... "hyper tuned" for better performance. Some operators prefer FE; and some prefer factory settings. Most do not care.

Edit:- This is particularly true of the long distance / fast / express buses.

OTOH, ever noticed how almost all SRTC buses sound almost same?

bnaiks, from the pics, the badging says "viking". Viking chassis has always been extra long, with extra front over hang. What is different in the chassis you posted is that unlike the older viking chasses, which had 50% rear over hang, this one has less than 40% rear over hang, which is compensated by extra front overhang.

A typical SRTC bus from TN is almost always on a viking chassis. Most KeSRTC buses are on Cheeta chassis.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 25th December 2009 at 21:03.
Old 25th December 2009, 21:49   #2062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
A typical SRTC bus from TN is almost always on a viking chassis. Most KeSRTC buses are on Cheeta chassis.
For Your Kind Information: KeSRTC's Leyland buses are based on Viking Chassis - they were introduced during Ganesh Kumar's regime. The newer buses built by KeSRTC's Workshops are all on Viking Chassis. The "Cut-Chassis" buses are on Cheetah Chassis.

This bus was certainly longer than regular buses - this one had 60 seats compared to only 51 in regular buses. I doubt if the extra 9 seats can be fitted without extra chassis length - and there is no reduction in seating space as well.
Old 25th December 2009, 23:11   #2063
BHPian

Hi Guys,

While returning back from Palakkad to Thrissur., i saw this Volvo lying in real battered condition at Kuthiraan But cant identify the operator though!!
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00153.jpg  

Old 26th December 2009, 02:22   #2064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
Here are some pics from Bangalore.
I have seen some buses (esp Tata buses) with the front grill lifted/opened up (such as in the blue BMTC bus in this picture, and even some Tata Globus buses). Any idea why this is done? It totally spoils the looks of the bus.

Is it for better ventilation, meaning that the ventilation-as-designed-for is not sufficient?

/Venkat
Old 26th December 2009, 10:20   #2065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
For Your Kind Information: KeSRTC's Leyland buses are based on Viking Chassis - they were introduced during Ganesh Kumar's regime. The newer buses built by KeSRTC's Workshops are all on Viking Chassis. The "Cut-Chassis" buses are on Cheetah Chassis.

This bus was certainly longer than regular buses - this one had 60 seats compared to only 51 in regular buses. I doubt if the extra 9 seats can be fitted without extra chassis length - and there is no reduction in seating space as well.

Dude, I said "most"!!!!

All buses with door in front of front wheel (extra front over hang) are on viking chassis.

What you say about changes brought in by Gansesh Kumar are true - most bodies built by Irizar - TVS for KeSRTC are on Viking chassis.

Vikings are certainly longer than Cheetahs. (I mean the chassis). The other difference, apart from overhangs, IIRC was in leaf springs were of different thickness in cheetahs and vikings.

What else? None IIRC.
Old 26th December 2009, 10:20   #2066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Is it for better ventilation, meaning that the ventilation-as-designed-for is not sufficient?
/Venkat
I think its for better cooling of engine especially when they drive in slow moving traffics.
Old 26th December 2009, 13:37   #2067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
AL right now produces 3 models of MDV bus with Cummins B series engine. 2 in SLF platform ( 145 and 172 KW power) and 1 in ULE platform (172 KW power).

Apart from that AL is producing CNG powered Lynx with H series 4DG engine with 63 KW power.

AL is not producing any defence models with CNG fuel option.

The 3135 (and not 3531) is a concept and based on that the product is yet to the launched in FVDP platform, in diesel.
This engine initially sourced from cummins was later derated to
300 BHP from 350 and was fitted in 4930 LHD Tractors supplied to Honduras in Jan earlier this year.
But AL is unlikely to use this engine in domestic market yet.
Thankyou Ashley2 for your updates.
Pls clarify ...(Other than those Cummins CNG engines fitted in DTC/ULE)
1. Cummins B 145 & 172KW power engines you mentioned are CNG ones, right!

2. Has AL stopped Hino 6cyl. CNG engines which were fitted on Viking SuperCNG chassis? (like the first CNG buses of DTC)

3. Is it that all AL CNG bus chassis (except Lynx) are now fitted with Cummins gas engines? If so, the new ones supplied to BEST, APSRTC etc are having cummins gas engine, right!.

I did not say AL defence model has Cummins gas engine but i remember that AL had some defence models (like FAT etc) with Cummins L series(which is not a CNG engine) as optional (may be for export). I am not sure whether it is offered now!
Old 27th December 2009, 22:30   #2068
Senior - BHPian

Default EICHER Bus

Found this picture of an EICHER Bus on the net.

Note the slave engine to run the AC, the low placed headlights confirming to the new regulations on head light height.

One of the Chinese designs. Why does everyone have to copy VOLVO? Can't they get original like this one?
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-luxurypassengerbus.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by TheARUN : 27th December 2009 at 22:39.
Old 28th December 2009, 00:07   #2069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
@wind & @foby, in TVM / Quilon, city service buses are blue in colour.
Ya, Kollam city service buses are blue in colour. In Trivandrum also the private city service buses are blue. But they are only about 10-20% of the total city buses.

Trivandrum city services operated by KSRTC had mainly two liveries. The ordinary buses having Yellow & Red combination and the City Fasts with Green and yellow colour. Later in 2005, when Ananthapuri Fasts were introduced the colour scheme was blue and white. Now for Volvos, the colour scheme has become Orange.
Old 28th December 2009, 11:58   #2070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
Thankyou Ashley2 for your updates.
Pls clarify ...(Other than those Cummins CNG engines fitted in DTC/ULE)
1. Cummins B 145 & 172KW power engines you mentioned are CNG ones, right!

2. Has AL stopped Hino 6cyl. CNG engines which were fitted on Viking SuperCNG chassis? (like the first CNG buses of DTC)

3. Is it that all AL CNG bus chassis (except Lynx) are now fitted with Cummins gas engines? If so, the new ones supplied to BEST, APSRTC etc are having cummins gas engine, right!.

I did not say AL defence model has Cummins gas engine but i remember that AL had some defence models (like FAT etc) with Cummins L series(which is not a CNG engine) as optional (may be for export). I am not sure whether it is offered now!

1.Cummins engines which I have mentioned are CNG engines only.

2.AL continue to produce H series 6E CNG engines with 90KW power. This is fitted in Viking 222" E+3 and E+2(SLF) MDV buses. Apart from that Stag (both 3600 wb and 4200 wb) are having a CNG option fitted with H series 4DG - 58 KW power - AL engines.
AL is also offering 1613 - 172.5" wb and 1112 Ecomet in CNG - both powered by AL engines only.
( Sorry for incomplete info in my last post)

3.AL CNG engines are used in FE models and Cummins CNG engines are used in RE models.

4.Yes, FAT is produced with Cummins engines.
Closed Thread