Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 6th January 2010, 19:21   #2116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Also, I had a specific question for you Binai. Why is that KeSRTC fleet is predominantly Vikings and not Cheetahs?
Honestly speaking, I have no idea. My guesses are that these buses have longer chassis and hence can carry more passengers. I'll try getting a firm word through my sources.
Old 6th January 2010, 21:07   #2117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
Finally Eicher has come out with the RESLF bus.....its a 48seater when compared with competition which are 42seaters. I guss this one will also have a Cummins 180Hp engine as in Tera25 which was also launched at the autoexpo2010.
A Little late, but the effort is surely worth it. Hope some RTCs show interest in this product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
And Volvo has now introduced the CNG version of its popular 8400LE bus.
Another late entry! Had this bus been launched last year, Volvo would've surely walked out with atleast 50% more orders than what it made this year. Delhi and Mumbai would've tasted Volvo as well (Mumbai already does it in the form of buses from Navi Mumbai).

Any idea if the engine is from Volvo itself, or are they getting engines from elsewhere?
Old 6th January 2010, 21:14   #2118
BHPian

So we have tremendous international products from Tata motors, Hino, Merc etc in Auto Expo...but where the heck is Ashok Leyland????
Waiting for your products AL!!
Old 6th January 2010, 22:51   #2119
Senior - BHPian

The Tata Marcopolo bus looks really pert! Except the wheels and a little high GC
Old 6th January 2010, 23:02   #2120
Senior - BHPian

I think KeSRTC is going for Vikings for the bigger size and therefore, passenger capacity. With same engines, suspensions, transmission, etc, only difference between the Cheetah and Viking is the wheel base and overhangs.

There is a separate thread on Tata motors @ AutoExpo 2010 - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/auto-e...po-2010-a.html

Pics and specs of the Prima truck look stunning (by Indian standards, that is).
Old 7th January 2010, 10:00   #2121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Honestly speaking, I have no idea. My guesses are that these buses have longer chassis and hence can carry more passengers. I'll try getting a firm word through my sources.
Cheetah's are available in 203",210" WB aganist Viking with 210", and 222" WB.
Cheetah basically a shorter WB with lesser FR and RR overhangs compared to Viking there by facilitating wider approach and departure angles.So they are mostly used in hilly terrain with U -bends and S bends
SO its no surprise that long run buses are from Viking Chassis and Short run routes in hilly terrains are occupied with Cheetah.
You can very well see these buses in APSRTC in and around Tirupathi. The buses going for Thirumala will be of Cheetah were as a Inter city bus will be a Viking.

Hope I have answered you !!!
Old 7th January 2010, 10:04   #2122
BHPian

Thanks Ashley2, BaCkSeAtDrIVeR and Binai.

I still find it odd. In Kerala regardless of hills, ghats and plains the Vikings are being used. I have never seen a Cheetah with KeSRTC. Funnily I have never seen a Viking with a private company in the Ghats side.
Old 7th January 2010, 10:43   #2123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
You can very well see these buses in APSRTC in and around Tirupathi. The buses going for Thirumala will be of Cheetah were as a Inter city bus will be a Viking.
I was thinking that the Tirumala (up hil - Tirupati - valley) services are run on busses below 200 inch wheel base.

Quote:
I still find it odd. In Kerala regardless of hills, ghats and plains the Vikings are being used. I have never seen a Cheetah with KeSRTC. Funnily I have never seen a Viking with a private company in the Ghats side.
Nedumangad - Ponmudi KeSRTC runs on very short wheel base buses. I think they were Lorry chassis.

There is a good reason private operators do not go with Vikings - longer / bigger vehicle means more seats means more taxes.

But most of luxury buses are on Viking chassis.

Quote:
Just by launching a handfull of trucks its really difficult to turn the market upside down even they are technologically superior products - here no way they are technologically higher compared to existing player except the tag Navistar.
The truck may seem to bold and beatiful but what counts finally is robustness in service, spares and reliability.
This is a bit like Maruti selling the Omni and M800 side by side with vehicles with better and latest technology. People will tend to stick with models which cost a few pennies less.

This is a clear case of penny wise and pound foolish.

Remember the times when Tata 1x10 bus chassis used to come with Tata's and Cummins engines as options? Tata engines used to cost 20-25 K less, and that was teh best seller, till emission norms forced Tatas to discontinue their own engines totally.

Once Tata engines were completely taken off, suddenly, Tata heavy vehicles saw a surge in sales - they were more fuel efficient than AL.

Even AL faced stiff resistance from customers when they introduced the Hino range of engines with synchro gear box. They had to redisign the exhaust system to make the vehicle sound like the older model vehicle with 370 series engine, and move the gear shift lever to behind the engine. (I may be wrong about the exhaust redesign part, which is only my inference listening to the various new buses in late 1980s).

Do not expect hardly literate heavy vehicle owners (who are mostly owner-drivers of one or may be two vehicles) to change so fast. Change and better products have to be literally stuffed down their throats. A bit like having to force kids eat vegetables.

The new models will NOT sell, untill and unless the manufacturers decide to discontinue the older models in entirety.
Old 7th January 2010, 10:44   #2124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cheetah basically a shorter WB with lesser FR and RR overhangs compared to Viking there by facilitating wider approach and departure angles.So they are mostly used in hilly terrain with U -bends and S bends SO its no surprise that long run buses are from Viking Chassis and Short run routes in hilly terrains are occupied with Cheetah.
Quote:
I still find it odd. In Kerala regardless of hills, ghats and plains the Vikings are being used. I have never seen a Cheetah with KeSRTC.
Probably the guy(s) who make(s) purchase decisions in KerRTC, is/are not aware of what Ashley2 mentioned. They are more concerned about the money they could make from the purchase deal . Is it possible Vikings are cheaper?( in ALs proposal to KerRTC). Ministers dont care whether Vikings/Cheetah, they care about the total number of buses procured during their term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Once Tata engines were completely taken off, suddenly, Tata heavy vehicles saw a surge in sales - they were more fuel efficient than AL
I heard/read that TM is coming back with its own BS IV compliant engines for the new Starbus range...

Last edited by teamveevee : 7th January 2010 at 10:54.
Old 7th January 2010, 10:56   #2125
Senior - BHPian

The main reason people prefer VIKING to CHEETAH is because in a VIKING it is possible to have a front door. In CHEETAH the door is after the front axle. Also, the front overhang gives extra space to seat passengers on a cross bench.

The CHEETAH is an excellent chassis. Very versatile. A few years back, 90% of TATA chassis were with short front overhang. The LP1510 52' and 59'. Its later on that the LPO series of chassis caught the public's fancy
Old 7th January 2010, 11:42   #2126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
... Another example of AL coming up with models ahead of its time....
But the model looks like a rip off from the Volvo design that is running around in Bangalore.

Name:  volvobus.jpg
Views: 35598
Size:  58.9 KB
Old 7th January 2010, 12:00   #2127
Senior - BHPian

@spinnerr - the body builder who makes bodies for volvo buses was in existence and building bodies on chasses abailable in India even before Volvos came here.

I doubt that those are Volvo design bodies.
Old 7th January 2010, 12:06   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
@spinnerr - the body builder who makes bodies for volvo buses was in existence and building bodies on chasses abailable in India even before Volvos came here.

I doubt that those are Volvo design bodies.
Oh! I thought Volvo was providing completely build buses for India. I remember reading somthing like that in the paper, along with that, it said, the Volvo maintained these buses.

Regd the maintenance, I am not sure, if that offer was just for the Karnataka govt, as they have a plant in Karnataka, and the govt. had promised a huge order.
Old 7th January 2010, 14:27   #2129
Senior - BHPian

[quote=kadri007;1669699]When Eicher launched its HCV, people said the same thing, but now if you see they have a good market share in the categories they are operating.

May be but Eicher was already a established player in LCV segment. Definitely people have tasted Eicher before. Even with that Intro and background Eicher is finding difficulty in Selling trucks.This is the condition even now and Its more than 7 years they have launched their HCV range. They did not have the technology and resources for them to mature into a Volume player. Siddharth Lal - MD of Eicher, was literally looking for JV's and finally he struck with Volvo.
Old 7th January 2010, 15:39   #2130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't get me wrong here, but does it mean that KeSRTC does not have a Cheetah because you've never seen them?

Here are three pictures of KeSRTC's New Cheetahs. The new "ordinary" buses are all built on Cheetah Chassis.

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3

Private operators purchase smaller buses for obvious reasons - Smaller bus = lesser seats = lower tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
I mean unless there is only one body builder for Volvo or else can Volvo dictate how the customer builds the body around their Chassis? I doubt. May be Volvo does sell whole buses, and not chassis.
You got both the question and the answer together. Volvo does not sell chassis. They sell fully-built buses only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
i guess the most horrible looking Volvo in India. i just wonder the designer was designing a lorry locally found in the villages with all those designs..
Could you please explain what makes this the most "horrible" looking volvo in India? If My eye-sight is not failing me, the bus looks like a normal 8400 only, except the "different" looking design.
Closed Thread