Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 3rd June 2008, 06:08   #361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post

The Suspension was good, and the AC was effective. The bus lacked power to tide over ghat sections with AC on. The vibration levels are too high when the bus reaches its top speed. The seating was good, and the leg room was nice.
Why is the TATA called an Airbus?
Who makes corona?is it Chinese?

Last edited by Bimster : 3rd June 2008 at 06:10.
Old 3rd June 2008, 07:14   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bimster : Why is the TATA called an Airbus?
Who makes corona?is it Chinese?
1. Airbus is not another name for 'Tata'. It's short for Air suspension bus.
2. Pls do a search here, and on other sites.
Old 3rd June 2008, 08:26   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
YA thats why market speaks Ashok Leyland Share costs ~ Rs 35 and Tata Shares cost ~ Rs.800 i.e 22 times higher.
And who discovered the funda of engine being smooth when idling RPM raised. when ur vechile is running at speeds of 40-60 its not in idling. Ashok leyland trucks and buses can be known from far distance just hearing to their load noises. When u sit in ashok leyland buses u cant even sleep due to the noise. and the vibrations they suck.
Even the driver sitting in the cabin gets damn irritated due to the crapy sound.
and regarding the cummins engine. they are one of the best. LOW RPM HIGH TORQUE engines, best suited for city buses.
Oops was out of this thread for sometime.. I think somebody had some anwers for me.

Shares.. Out of my subject. I don't comment. But do chaeck the face vaue of those shares. Leyland is 1Rs share. Don't know about tata. So I bought Leyland shares for Re1 I'm selling it at 35. I consider that good enough.

Max torque.. Bring the figures and We'll talk.. 550Nm Flat curve.. Beat it.
And that is one of the intermediate engines. I'm not at liberty to disclaim the torque of the common rail motor.

Leylands can be hard from far?? you talking about The travels buses?? I know about a lot of travels who remove their Muffler to get some more fuel efficiency out of their trucks. Maybe. Personally I haven't felt they are louder.. afterall loudnness is due to the muffler not the engine. Even if TATA had a crappy engine. if they put a good enough muffler on it it'll be silent

Dude.. every engine vibrates. The major thing is the Engine Mounts. If the vibrations are transmitted to the chassis Then the Engine mounts design may be wrong. I admit. They don't dampen out the vibrations. But check on the life of Engine Mounts for AL and TATA.

Ever driven a leyland?? I've ... I don't think I was irritated.
Old 3rd June 2008, 08:33   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I had been in one such bus in my childhood and remember the front end of the bus bobbing up and down all the time. I was told by my Dad that was due to the additional weight of the Engine at the rear along with the roof mounted AC unit and that the suspension had actually given away. There was also another AL person on board and they (he and my Dad) were talking about how adding another axle to the rear would actually balance the design out. (Not that the design was ineffective when new, but in the Indian context this was happenning to Busses that were a few years old.)

I had observed one such instance. The helper was moving the 2213 truck. He had stopped the truck in a position that the driven rear axle had cleared a rumbler (2 bumps back to back) but the rear-dummy axle was smack in between the two bumps. The truck was unladen, so every time he was trying to move the truck forward or backward the driven axle would actually rise up in the air and the truck would come back to the mean position.

After a lot of commotion, the driver appeared from somewhere, he simply put the truck in first (I guess) and was rocking the truck back and forth using the clutch. till the momentum actually carried it over. But not before a lot of back and forth motion (at least 7-8 times).
There is something called an active suspension on Leyland Lingo that actually raises/lowers the other axle when the dummy axle is on a bump/dip and vice versa. It is a simple mechanism and can be found on the sides. I don't have a pic to post it.
Old 3rd June 2008, 14:46   #365
Senior - BHPian

HAS TATA,ALL aready started discontinuing the truck chassis or are they still selling it?

i think its high time truck chassis should be forced to shut down by the government now that we already have cheaper fully built trucks
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:37   #366
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Default 10x4 truck with 4 steered axles and 2 driven axles?

Have you seen commercial (non-military) trucks in India with multiple steered axles?

Name:  Truck10x4steered.jpg
Views: 15140
Size:  45.0 KB

This is a European 64 ton GVW, 10x4 truck with 4 steered axles and 2 driven axles, usually with a cement-mixer body or tipper body.

* Gross loading capacity 37,500 kg
* G.V.W. 64,000 kg (technical)
* G.V.W. 50,000 kg (statutory regulation:Netherlands)

The front six tires are 425/65 R 22.5
The rear eight tires are 13 R 22.5
Old 3rd June 2008, 20:01   #367
BHPian

today i Saw Tata Hispano Globus Tourist Bus in pune. with taxi no. plate.. so the bus is already out now.
Old 3rd June 2008, 20:11   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Have you seen commercial (non-military) trucks in India with multiple steered axles?

This is a European 64 ton GVW, 10x4 truck with 4 steered axles and 2 driven axles, usually with a cement-mixer body or tipper body.

* Gross loading capacity 37,500 kg
* G.V.W. 64,000 kg (technical)
* G.V.W. 50,000 kg (statutory regulation:Netherlands)

The front six tires are 425/65 R 22.5
The rear eight tires are 13 R 22.5
I dont think most of the commercial trucks in US too, that have multiple axles at the rear have a steered rear axle. The other day itself I was seeing one making a tight turn dragging its rearmost tyres sideways.
Old 3rd June 2008, 21:17   #369
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I dont think most of the commercial trucks in US too, that have multiple axles at the rear have a steered rear axle. The other day itself I was seeing one making a tight turn dragging its rearmost tyres sideways.
Do share US pics, Anirban.
Here are a couple of pics of the Terberg FM 2850, whose steering I had depicted as below.

The cement mixer below is from the company's website
http://www.terbergbenschop.nl

Name:  TerbergFM2850.jpg
Views: 7615
Size:  63.3 KB

The second hand covered tipper (model year:2000) is from a Ukranian trucks for sale website: http://autoline.ua

They're asking 66,000 [about Rs. 43.4 lakh] for it.

Name:  2000TerbergFM2850tipperfront.jpg
Views: 7130
Size:  64.2 KB

Name:  2000TerbergFM2850tipperrear.jpg
Views: 6326
Size:  40.7 KB

The Dutch firm of Terberg has been around since 1869 in the town of Benschop, Utrecht, Holland.
They specialize in modular systems-integration of 8x8, 6x6, 10x4, etc., vehicles using for example, standard Mercedes, Volvo, DAF engines, ZF gearboxes, Faun axles and building their own cabs.

Something like what, the Chinese firm: Xiamen-KingLong does for buses.

Ram
Old 4th June 2008, 03:02   #370
Senior - BHPian

One of those US tractors are in this thread itself.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/522877-post185.html

The variations of the rigid truck (non tractor trailer) are mostly 4x2 and 6x4's. We do get to see some 8x4's with (3 rear axles - the front one of them being retractable).

However what we see on your post I dont get to see too often in US.

However the Cabs onthe Terbergs are volvo based from the looks of it.

Moreover these dumpers are also covered. Which is good. Otherwise you end up with nasty surprises sometimes when a tipper comes in your way.

Last edited by 1100D : 4th June 2008 at 03:06.
Old 4th June 2008, 04:11   #371
BANNED

for all truck fans. Here is tatas latest test truck.
Attached Images

Old 4th June 2008, 09:04   #372
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the pic Cyrus. Have seen this truck many times during my daily commute to and from work. But I guess the cab and the twin axle tractor (what is it called?) are the new things. From the way it was performing on slight gradients, I believe it shares its engine with other trucks like the 4018. (I am no truck expert, I am just speculating).

BTW, does the Indian Novus come with any other engine option apart from the 8.3L Cummins ?
They do have other engine options available in other countries as per this web page
Old 4th June 2008, 10:13   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
The Dutch firm of Terberg has been around since 1869 in the town of Benschop, Utrecht, Holland.
They specialize in modular systems-integration of 8x8, 6x6, 10x4, etc., vehicles using for example, standard Mercedes, Volvo, DAF engines, ZF gearboxes, Faun axles and building their own cabs.

Ginaf is another firm doing such work.
Ginaf: Home

Tata LPT 3118 lift axle with passive steering
Eicher has launched a conventional 4 axle rigid with steering front axles.
ALL is also launching one soon.

The Tatra 12x12 TELs for the land based BrahMos have four (the front and trailing pair) steerable axles.

Old 4th June 2008, 11:40   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
for all truck fans. Here is tatas latest test truck.

Thanks Cyrus. You have any more pictures?
Old 4th June 2008, 13:01   #375
BANNED

No unluckily i dont. I struggled to take this picture too. The truck is fast.
Closed Thread