Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 6th June 2008, 10:32   #391
BHPian

Friends I really feel , when I write my posts without any proof. But I have spotted things when I am not in a position to click the picks.

Today while on my way to office I spotted a Force Motors "MINI TRUCK" near the spot where I had spooted the test car yesterday. It looked and sounded like thier Minidoor Delivery Van but had four wheels. Before I could take out my mobile to click the picks it passed me, as I was on foot there was no chance of following it.

It had no camouflage and was loaded. I visited Force Motors web site but could not find any pictures of it.
Old 6th June 2008, 13:27   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Riding today, in the abused and shoddily street-repaired Volvos, one wonders if they really have air-suspension. Many have broken fiberglass panels, misaligned headlamps, missing wipers, smashed mirrors, malfunctioning pneumatic doors and rattly loose components.
About a year back, I had seen a Volvo bus from Prince Travels waiting outside the Dy RTO Office at Vashi Navi Mumbai. The bus was badly maintained, and appeared to have been given a coat of paint at a roadside shop. The bumpers were tied down to the body with ropes, and the wipers were completely missing!

The Mirror assembly did not have the "mirror" inside, and instead the operator opted to install those small mirrors seen in Government buses!

The wiper was replaced with the conventional indian wipers installed on the upper side of the windshield! The bus was at the RTO for transfer of registration to Navi Mumbai. The bus had "AP-XX" numbers then. I spotted them a couple of months back with "MH-43" marks!
Old 6th June 2008, 14:36   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Agey View Post
Friends I really feel , when I write my posts without any proof. But I have spotted things when I am not in a position to click the picks.

Today while on my way to office I spotted a Force Motors "MINI TRUCK" near the spot where I had spooted the test car yesterday. It looked and sounded like thier Minidoor Delivery Van but had four wheels. Before I could take out my mobile to click the picks it passed me, as I was on foot there was no chance of following it.

It had no camouflage and was loaded. I visited Force Motors web site but could not find any pictures of it.
as far as i know that vehicle had been launched long ago, i have been seeing a yellow one in whitefield,here in bangalore for a very long time,
but the thing it that ,its the only one i have seen,so even i thought it was an after market modification
Old 6th June 2008, 14:40   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
tata chaisis are stronger than leyland . Leyland had a lot of chaisis cracks in the 90's . Tata vehicles have only half cut steerings wheras leylands have full cuts.this helps inside small towns ,
Tata engines are more silent whereas leyland exhausts are much throatier ,and this throatiness makes it feel as if leyland bus is much faster ,but in effect Tata is much faster especially with a full payload .

Leyland spares are cheaper ,but do not last that long ,tata spares are compartively much better .
interesting thread. i'm enjoying this and taking my own sweet time reading it. but i saw this mentioned about the tata buses.

i've travelled ALOT by bus on the mumbai/bangalore route over the years even before the volvo and the mumbai pune expressway/golden quadrilateral.

the majority of buses on this route in the late nineties and early 2000s were leylands not sure which chassis. they were typically the ones built with sutlej and azad bodies over them and were pretty common in general at the time (pre lexia). then a little later the shape got changed to this:
VRL Travels :: VRL Logistics Ltd (the bus on the right - i think the same chassis).
anyway these were noisier and generally struggled up the mumbai-pune stretch and generally didn't move very fast. most of the operators owned these kind of buses.

there was just one operator on this route (vrl) which had tata 1610s (i think that's the one - the coach was built by ACGL) on the mumbai vt - bangalore route. this became my prefered mode of transport because of vrl's punctuality (unmatched at the time). typically this journey would take around 26hrs. vrl would usually take around 24 hours and that too because they appeared to be deliberately slowing down. on one occassion i left mumbai vt at 9 am. we reached pune by around 12.30 (no expressway + usual stops at sion and vashi!).

then on the pune-kolhapur stretch both drivers were absolutely ripping. i have never seen a non-volvo being driven that fast ever. i think we reached belgaum by around 8.30 or 9 in the evening! when i fell asleep the guy must have been ripping even more than in the afternoon/evening because we reached kalasipalayam (last stop in bangalore) at 7am! thats a distance of around 1020km covered in 21 hours!

i've never seen that repeated by anyone. but most importantly what stood out was just how fast that tata bus could be driven! again i should remind readers that the entire stretch is pretty busy and we are talking about the old 2 lane highway for the whole distance (no 4/6 lanes ANYWHERE!). it's also not like the leyland drivers were not attempting to push their buses (vrl had a few leyland buses on the borivali-sion-bangalore route - i had travelled in that one as well).

PS: maybe someone could verify which chassis models we are talking about above

Last edited by silver_shadow : 6th June 2008 at 14:45.
Old 6th June 2008, 14:50   #395
BANNED

Quote:
So, are consumers in Calcutta, fifty years behind those in the Mumbai-Pune region in their tolerance of poor product quality and service level expectations?

Should Volvo then plan a different strategy for these backward regions?

At the end of the day our consumer behavior influences the vendors' offerings.
I am from North and have travelled all over India and now live in WB, I can tell you, the Volvos I see here are impeccably maintained as compared to rest of India. I have taken quite a few of them for going to Shiliguri and all of them are in pristine shape. So are the WBSTC Mercedes buses plying from the airport. I also find the general upkeep of cars to be excellent in Kolkata, I see fewer ill maintained modern cars emitting blue smoke or heavily dented. What surprises me even more is the well kept Matadors running without any hitch and also the disposal Shaktiman with 4WD intact doing commercial sand hauling duty.
Old 6th June 2008, 15:28   #396
BHPian

not sure if theese pics should go in this section
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-05062008103.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-05062008105.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-05062008107.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-05062008116.jpg  

Mad Monkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2008, 17:37   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
I am from North and have travelled all over India and now live in WB, I can tell you, the Volvos I see here are impeccably maintained as compared to rest of India. I have taken quite a few of them for going to Shiliguri and all of them are in pristine shape. So are the WBSTC Mercedes buses plying from the airport. I also find the general upkeep of cars to be excellent in Kolkata, I see fewer ill maintained modern cars emitting blue smoke or heavily dented. What surprises me even more is the well kept Matadors running without any hitch and also the disposal Shaktiman with 4WD intact doing commercial sand hauling duty.
true the taxis are maintained better than mumbai, i mean they dont have those horrible rubbish stickers and aftermarket accessories on them like fiats have in mumbai, like the rubbish radiator grill and wheel caps
the taxis in kolkata are impressive

can you send us some pics of these mercedes buses,how old are they?
which model?
are they large?
Old 6th June 2008, 18:27   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Monkey View Post
Its a Foremost Nodwell 110 tracked vehicle.

Name:  foremost nodwell 110.JPG
Views: 3215
Size:  46.4 KB

Engine: Cummins Diesel 6CTA 8.3C, 250 HP @2500 RPM
Track Pump: Rexroth AA 4V90 pumps
Track Motors: Rexroth AA6VM200 motors

Electrical system:
System: 12 volt
Alternator: 100 amp
Batteries: Delco 12 volt maintenance free

RUNNING GEAR
Tracks: Heavy duty track assembly 40 in. (1016mm) D-dent type, 1/2 in. x 4 in.(13mm x 102mm) grouser bars, 5/8 in. (16mm) bolts
Track Belt: PN200 - 6 ply
Grouser Bars: 1/2 in. x 3 in. (13mm x 76mm) spring steel
Tires: 7:50 x 20 - 16 ply smooth crawler, urethane foam filled
Suspension: Torsional coil spring Cold weather springs, 5 in. (127mm) crank arms
Hubs: 10 stud oil bath with metal face seals

HEATING & COOLING SYSTEM
100oF (38oC) ambient operating radiator assembly
Arctic Pack: Front shutters
Cab heaters and defrosters
Circulating block heater (electric 1500 watt, 110 volt)
Engine immersion block heater (electric 1000 watt, 110 volt)
Engine oil pan heater (electric 150 watt, 110 volt)
Hydraulic oil tank heater (150 watt, 110 volt)
Battery warmer (electric 110 volt)
Proheat 30,000 BTU diesel fueled engine coolant heater
Old 6th June 2008, 21:53   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
silver_shadow : then a little later the shape got changed to this: VRL Travels :: VRL Logistics Ltd (the bus on the right - i think the same chassis).
The bus on the right is Leyland based. For a while, that specific style was built by VRL itself. The only buses that VRL had that were Tata's were the ones with ACGL built bodies.

Btw, VRL has a special relationship with AL.
Old 6th June 2008, 22:09   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The bus on the right is Leyland based. For a while, that specific style was built by VRL itself. The only buses that VRL had that were Tata's were the ones with ACGL built bodies.

Btw, VRL has a special relationship with AL.
yep yep! and believe me those tata/ACGL buses were pretty damn fast! they were as comfortable as the leyland buses too.
Old 6th June 2008, 22:34   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Monkey View Post
where did u clicked these. this is how tax payers money are spent!
Old 9th June 2008, 11:12   #402
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default TATA Hispano

Hey guys spotted TATA Hispano gloabl bus in mumbai.
Owned by Neeta saw 4-5 buses this weekedn but cldnt click the pics as i was driving
Thye look as big as volvo bigger than kinglong ithink they r a serious competition to Volvo compared to king long...Is leyland listenign where r the Luxuras ist been a while since the Auro expo launch not seen on the road yet
Old 9th June 2008, 17:53   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When the B7R-platform based Azad buses were new, one couldn't hear the smooth six-cylinder diesel inside the bus. One felt like one was riding on air. The service set a new standards for comfort, speed and timeliness.

Riding today, in the abused and shoddily street-repaired Volvos, one wonders if they really have air-suspension. Many have broken fiberglass panels, misaligned headlamps, missing wipers, smashed mirrors, malfunctioning pneumatic doors and rattly loose components.

High time Volvo awoke to realize their image was adrift in the high seas of "Chaltaa hai".

Rather than compromise their global reputation, it makes sense for Volvo to build complete buses for those that will pay for them.

This may of course, buoy prices of the new OEM built buses out of reach of the Mom-and-Pop bus operators. And ticket-prices would go up.
Are you suggesting that Azad-made Volvo buses are sub-standard and not subject to any quality control by Volvo? Are you suggesting that if the buses are made by Volvo itself, they will look and remain brand new forever even when subjected to the same abuse by mom-and-pop bus operators, road-side mechanics, etc.? Next you would suggest that Volvo should open company-owned-company-run workshops to service and repair these buses. And since you can't trust the mom-and-pop operators, Volvo should also start a road transport company of its own to run these buses.

Let's be realistic.

Quote:
Never before in the Indian truck industry, did we have a lift axle with automatic load sensing lift. The Tata LPT 3118 TC truck comes with this.Ram
The first Indian truck to feature this was also a Tata - almost three decades ago! The model was 1812 and it was displayed at the India International Trade Fair, 1981.

Last edited by directinjection : 9th June 2008 at 18:03.
Old 9th June 2008, 19:26   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshnair View Post
Hey guys spotted TATA Hispano gloabl bus in mumbai. Owned by Neeta saw 4-5 buses this weekedn but cldnt click the pics as i was driving
Pictures please anyone?
Old 9th June 2008, 19:36   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post

The first Indian truck to feature this was also a Tata - almost three decades ago! The model was 1812 and it was displayed at the India International Trade Fair, 1981.
Did 1812 have a lift-axle or it had 3 fixed axles at the rear.
Closed Thread