Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 12th June 2008, 09:33   #421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
do u believe in inhouse testing? NPI etc etc? some models fail in this stage itself.
Ooh... Okay that clears that....

But you are sure that the Hispano Divo (which is the model in the picture and is fairly new design) normally made on a MAN (also Scania and Irisbus) chassis failed the in house tests of Tata! Perhaps its the Tata chassis that underperformed.

(Just speculating to be earnest... )

Last edited by Trapezio : 12th June 2008 at 09:37.
Old 12th June 2008, 10:10   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Ooh... Okay that clears that....

But you are sure that the Hispano Divo (which is the model in the picture and is fairly new design) normally made on a MAN (also Scania and Irisbus) chassis failed the in house tests of Tata! Perhaps its the Tata chassis that underperformed.

(Just speculating to be earnest... )
the things which i heard from some sources is that they tested the buses in city stop and go conditions ( INDIAN CONDITIONS ) and there were problems of overheating, clutch burnout, auto transmissions not upto the mark etc.
Old 12th June 2008, 15:53   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
First the ACGL based tata's were very fast as they were short with just 29 seats (not like the usual 35 on leyland). They had a lot of initial pick up and great cruising speeds. The only hiccups with these were (why it did not become a hit with operators) were low mileage, bouncy ride and less luggage space. Apart from all this, look were not that great and you could not ask ACGL to customize anything.
actually the VRL ACGLs were a bit different from the ghatge patil ones. they were i think a longer version with 35 or 40 seats (can't remember the number). i can't seem to find a picture but the front looked a bit different. the windshield started right from the top unlike the ghatge patil ones where the windshield starts a bit below the top (hope you understand what i'm saying). i think (but i could be wrong) that the passenger door was right up front and not behind the wheel like in the GP ones.

as a regular traveller i couldn't find much difference between a well maintained ACGL and a leyland in terms of comfort. seemed the same to me. looks were okayish i guess (obviously the leylands mostly looked a bit better) and as you say FE was lower so i guess the latter reason would be important in why it failed.
Old 25th June 2008, 18:29   #424
Senior - BHPian

Came across this Ashok Leyland bus chassis in Delhi with air suspension system at the rear. I haven't come across anything like this from the Tata stable yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00489.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00492.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00497.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00498.jpg  

Old 25th June 2008, 19:59   #425
Senior - BHPian

Is it only to me that the rear cantelever looks sagging in that chassis. What would have been interesting is the trailing-arm type arrangement that houses the axle (would have liked to see the front anchor of that, as the rear is supported by the bellows, is the front supported by another set of bellows or a hinge). But then the photographs were taken on the move, couldn't ask for more.
Old 25th June 2008, 20:10   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

@1100D, which part do you think is sagging ?

If you are looking at pic #3, the other objects in the pic are also on a similar plane. And there could also have been un-evenness of the road surface ..
Old 25th June 2008, 21:27   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@1100D, which part do you think is sagging ?

If you are looking at pic #3, the other objects in the pic are also on a similar plane. And there could also have been un-evenness of the road surface ..
pIC #1, the rear overhang vs the mid-portion (between the wheels).
Old 25th June 2008, 22:45   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
actually the VRL ACGLs were a bit different from the ghatge patil ones. they were i think a longer version with 35 or 40 seats (can't remember the number). i can't seem to find a picture but the front looked a bit different. the windshield started right from the top unlike the ghatge patil ones where the windshield starts a bit below the top (hope you understand what i'm saying). i think (but i could be wrong) that the passenger door was right up front and not behind the wheel like in the GP ones.

as a regular traveller i couldn't find much difference between a well maintained ACGL and a leyland in terms of comfort. seemed the same to me. looks were okayish i guess (obviously the leylands mostly looked a bit better) and as you say FE was lower so i guess the latter reason would be important in why it failed.

I know what you are saying. That was the ACGL's new design where the glass started right from the top. However, there was no improvement in performance and transporters did not like it.

One more problem with Tata chassis for buses was that it lacked the load pulling punch which is required when the bus is fully laden and about 2 tons of luggage or parcels on the roof, the buses just would not pull. Leyland however, was like an elephant, slow time to pull but effortlessly.

All said, 75%+ transporters would vote for Leyland chassis for busess now other then volvo!
Old 25th June 2008, 23:15   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post

All said, 75%+ transporters would vote for Leyland chassis for busess now other then volvo!
it is exactly what my driver told me few days ago (he use to drive buses before he started driving cars)

he said that the leyland buses have greater pick up but the fe figures (which the tour operator our more concerned about) is less that TATA

Last edited by manikjeet : 25th June 2008 at 23:16.
Old 25th June 2008, 23:30   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Came across this Ashok Leyland bus chassis in Delhi with air suspension system at the rear. I haven't come across anything like this from the Tata stable yet.
Doesn't Tata-marcopolo has that kind of suspension??
Old 25th June 2008, 23:52   #431
BANNED

that chasis is exactly the same as used in the MUTP BEST Buses.. as far as i know.. maybe Delhi transport may be getting simlar ones...
Old 26th June 2008, 07:15   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1100D : pIC #1, the rear overhang vs the mid-portion (between the wheels).
There is no problem there - the rear over-hang and the mid-portion between the wheels are at right angles to each other. This, coupled with the angle of view will make it appear as if there's a sag.

If you see pic #1 - shows the rear over hang is good. Pic# 3 shows that the section between the wheels is also good - correctly level & horizontal.
Old 26th June 2008, 09:36   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Assuming that the rear air suspension setup is fabricated outside. Not sure if AL is offering them from the factory itself, now. Have seen many a bus sporting a sticker on the front windshield (including KSRTC's) which read like "Air suspension from TVS, Chitra," etc.
Another thing is the engine bonnet/cover. Don't AL supply them by default?
Old 26th June 2008, 09:45   #434
Senior - BHPian

Saw one of the new Leyland 4-axle rigid chassis trucks today in Bombay - went by oo fast for me to check out the model number or snapshot it. What is the model number and operating specs?
Old 26th June 2008, 10:25   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
dkamath : Another thing is the engine bonnet/cover. Don't AL supply them by default?
Not for the bare chassis. Tata does.
Quote:
hvkumar : Saw one of the new Leyland 4-axle rigid chassis trucks ... went by oo fast for me to check out the model number or snapshot it. What is the model number and operating specs?
The model number would not have been displayed anywhere on the chassis' that are sent from the factory. Unlike Tata, these dont come with a factory fabricated front end. The builder is free to build it as per his designs. The model number logo /monogram is put on it during the body building process - guess the logo/ monogram will be part of the kit that would be sent with the chassis.

Last edited by condor : 26th June 2008 at 10:31.
Closed Thread