Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 2nd July 2008, 13:00   #481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Hmm... Isn't there a misalignment between front and the back... and OMG one axle is not touching the floor...

Anyway introducing 4921 ( I think that must be the name..... not sure) from Ashok Leyland.. with the NewGen Cabin

The vehicles with NewGen cabin are avalable as an option , for those who didn't know. (ref AL website)
its a trailer tractor, with a tandem axle. the first axle doesnt touch the road in normal loading conditions.
Old 2nd July 2008, 13:11   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
... and OMG one axle is not touching the floor...
I would be surprised if that axle lift concept is brought to market in India. Maybe too early for the market.
Old 2nd July 2008, 14:12   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan0677 View Post
I would be surprised if that axle lift concept is brought to market in India. Maybe too early for the market.
it has been long since this concept is in indian market. but not many buyers buy them. there are some tata and AL models with same concept.
Old 2nd July 2008, 14:41   #484
BHPian

Sorry, My initial wording did not convey the message right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
...but not many buyers buy them...
This was my doubt, to be precise. The expenses on tyres for these truck-owners would be too less compared to the price differential in the vehicle cost they would have to cough up. I would say, there would be very limited applications where the transporter would see the value of the lift-axle.

It would be interesting to know of cases where any transporter is using this for any of their hauling requirements, in India.
Old 2nd July 2008, 15:55   #485
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan0677 View Post
Sorry, My initial wording did not convey the message right.

This was my doubt, to be precise. The expenses on tyres for these truck-owners would be too less compared to the price differential in the vehicle cost they would have to cough up. I would say, there would be very limited applications where the transporter would see the value of the lift-axle.

It would be interesting to know of cases where any transporter is using this for any of their hauling requirements, in India.
In a perfect world, such trucks would make sense, but in India, transporters do not buy new tires. They just get them retreaded. When your normal cruising speed is 45kmph, it makes sense to retread and retread again and again, so saving some tires is not really very useful costwise, as these trucks cost much more.
Same reason for slow catching up of high speed trucks from Volvo etc., The price difference is very high, and since majority of time the truck is sitting idle because of border check/bribe etc., it does not make sense to spend lakhs more and buy a truck which can carry 20% more load, esp since its easier to pay a few thousands in bribe and carry 50% more road on the normal truck.

Until corruption is totally weeded out of the Truck transport system, it will not make sense to buy more advanced trucks.
Old 2nd July 2008, 17:28   #486
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
tsk1979 : They just get them retreaded. .... it makes sense to retread and retread again and again ...
The normal practice for a truck that is used on the highways, will use tryes upto 2 re-treads. 2 re-treads itself will take them a long way. After that, these tyres are possibly re-treaded again - but used for local transportation.
Old 3rd July 2008, 10:03   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In a perfect world, such trucks would make sense, but in India, transporters do not buy new tires. They just get them retreaded. When your normal cruising speed is 45kmph, it makes sense to retread and retread again and again, so saving some tires is not really very useful costwise, as these trucks cost much more.
Same reason for slow catching up of high speed trucks from Volvo etc., The price difference is very high, and since majority of time the truck is sitting idle because of border check/bribe etc., it does not make sense to spend lakhs more and buy a truck which can carry 20% more load, esp since its easier to pay a few thousands in bribe and carry 50% more road on the normal truck.

Until corruption is totally weeded out of the Truck transport system, it will not make sense to buy more advanced trucks.
Very True.

I would say - More often than not, these trucks are bought (by the end-user, instead of transporter) to avail of depreciation benefits, EPCG, etc more than the actual revenue / profit generated by the truck itself. No?

Cheers
Jagan
Old 3rd July 2008, 15:45   #488
nbr
BHPian

Default New buses being introduced in UAE

New buses are being planned in UAE to encourage public transport usage.
Abu dhabi has launched MAN buses without charging any fee till the year end.
Attached Images

Old 4th July 2008, 14:22   #489
BANNED

http://www.ashokleyland.com/subprodu...product_id=165

never knew this can be acquired as a civilian vehicle too..
Old 5th July 2008, 12:04   #490
Senior - BHPian

spotted an iveco fire truck at a near by firestation. any idea when they started supplying in India ?
Old 6th July 2008, 01:29   #491
BHPian

Default MAN StarLiner (max no. of Coach of the Year Award Winner)

Hi Guys,

The thread revolves more around the bus segment. So, I am posting a couple of pics the MAN Starliner...

Note the Tall entry door in the middle of the side, the wipers are hidden in that body colour painted, hydraulically operated contour. below the windscreen..The bus has 2 levels inside it...seating is at the top...so you are basically sitting above the driver!!

The next two pics are of the MAN Caravan, exterior and interior...I have detailed interior pics...will load them if this interests you guys.

Happy Trucking!!
Attached Images

Old 6th July 2008, 12:38   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Now what is interesting to observe is why this fascination for a comparatively large cantelever (Overhang). Is it only to satisfy various body lengths for the same wheelbase (hence mechanicals). The percentage of overhang to wheelbase of these busses vs that of busses used in the developed world would be a great indicator. However then, that question itself becomes void, when we take into account that the engine position itself on most of those are configured on the south side.
The overhang on this AL bus chassis (and other usual Indian buses) is shorter than that on buses abroad which have huge overhangs not only at the rear but also at the front. Sometime in the 1970s, both Tata and AL introduced bus chassis with considerable front overhangs which drivers used to find problematic while turning and so both manufacturers continued to offer the ultra-short front overhang versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
In my humble technical opinion, one wheel base should not be permitted to have body length exceeding a standard. The body length can be less than the standard but not more than the standard.

On another note angle of approach and angle of departure would be affected by an excessively overhanging chassis. If you have seen huge cars scrape their rear bumper on the ground whilst exiting a steep main-gate ramp, you will know what I mean. I sometimes had this problem in Kingston.
American cars typically have large rear overhangs. This along with their low ground clearance results in this problem. Indian chassis-based buses have high GC and so comparatively immune to the problem of scraping. That's one major reason why truck-chassis based buses have continued to survive (or rather flourish) in this country and low floors ones haven't.

Last edited by directinjection : 6th July 2008 at 12:40.
Old 6th July 2008, 12:54   #493
Senior - BHPian

Saw this truck at the Auto Expo. What I found unusual was the ultra large fuel tank measuring 600 litres. Never seen one like this before.
The truck was KAMAZ.
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00812.jpg  

Old 6th July 2008, 15:34   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Saw this truck at the Auto Expo. What I found unusual was the ultra large fuel tank measuring 600 litres. Never seen one like this before.
The truck was KAMAZ.
what a surprise. the exhaust near the fuel tank. the new norms state that they should be away from fuel tanks for safety purpose.

even if the trucks come with small tanks, buyers fit an after market larger tanks upto capacity of 800 litres especially on long route trucks.
Old 6th July 2008, 17:06   #495
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Default Up-to-date Neoplan Starliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaikhmimran View Post
Hi Guys,

The thread revolves more around the bus segment. So, I am posting a couple of pics the MAN Starliner...

Note the Tall entry door in the middle of the side, the wipers are hidden in that body colour painted, hydraulically operated contour. below the windscreen..The bus has 2 levels inside it...seating is at the top...so you are basically sitting above the driver!!
By the way, it's a NEOPLAN Starliner, not a MAN Starliner, albeit Neoplan is now a division of MAN.

Name:  NeoplanStarliner.jpg
Views: 6709
Size:  43.0 KB

Engine
It's powered by a Euro-4 compliant straight-six 12.4 litre MAN D2676 LOH 480 bhp@1900 rpm common-rail diesel engine mounted vertically in the rear. Torque is 2300 Nm @ a flat 1100-1400 rpm -- the highest for a bus.

Gearbox
The engine drives a MAN TipMatic 12-speed gearbox. The gearbox is manual but gearshifts are electronically controlled.

Suspension
The front wheels have independent multi-link suspension and antiroll bar.
The rear driving axle has multilink suspension guiding all four wheels. And the rear trailing axle also has independent suspension.

For the passengers
The passengers ride a good 6 feet 9 inches above the ground, while the driver sits 4 feet 4 inches above the ground. So the passenger floor is just under 2 feet above the driver's floor.

The ICE in the Neoplan Starliner has no individual speakers. The entire ceiling of the bus is used as a resonance medium via exciters.

Embedded Computing Systems
This coach comes with a lot of embedded systems.

ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) uses a radar sensor to detect traffic. It uses the retarder for brake intervention to maintain a set distance to the vehicle ahead.

Electronically adjustable suspension, adapts shock absorption to different road conditions, speed and loading. They call it Comfort Drive Suspension (CDS).

Then there is ESP (Electronic Stabilisation Program) to regulate engine braking and wheel braking at all six wheels while cornering and evasive manoeuvres.

It also has Lane Guard System (LGS) This has a dashboard mounted camera looking at the road markings. Were the bus to veer offtrack, vibrators mounted in the driver's seat would jolt him awake.

Are our Volvos and King-Longs following close?
Closed Thread