Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 26th November 2008, 18:21   #751
BHPian

Today I spotted a Swaraj Isuzu bus of KSRTC.The bus was passing through the opposite direction and was looking good.Any details regarding this Isuzu bus?
Old 26th November 2008, 18:59   #752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stable rock View Post
Today I spotted a Swaraj Isuzu bus of KSRTC.The bus was passing through the opposite direction and was looking good.Any details regarding this Isuzu bus?
The bus you saw was KA-01-D-2029, based at Depot-4. The bus, perhaps, is on trial. This is why the bus has a "private" registration. It had two guys, who appeared to be from Swaraj, along with the driver and the Conductor in the bus. The bus is operating the after Bangalore-Chennai Schedule. It leaves Bangalore at 1401, and returns from Chennai at 2330.

About the bus: It has a 230hp rear mount Isuzu Engine. The engine is a 6-cyl BSIII engine. It can seat 40 passengers. According to some markings on the bus, it has an ABS. It also has a "rear-view camera" - a feature that is seen on Volvo B7RLE buses.

Here are two images that I clicked:
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-p1160413.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-p1160397.jpg  

Old 27th November 2008, 10:42   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Here are two images that I clicked:

Nice pics! So you finally spot 'em!

But I feel they don't look as classy as the Volvos, esp the new CRDI (B7R) ones with LED tail lamps and all!

I guess that has to do with the Body Building by Swaraj. Looks like moulded fibre-glass, which it is.

And the front glass area looks like an old Ruby bus that was designed by Dilip Chhabria for them. I guess it was called Lextran or something!

Quote:
This is why the bus has a "private" registration.
I see a Yellow Number plate! How is it a Private registration?

Last edited by Glifford : 27th November 2008 at 10:44.
Old 27th November 2008, 11:30   #754

Yesh, thats not a private registration. If i am not wrong, Swaraj showcased these buses at the auto expo. Even one of the south indian private operators are running these buses now - sree kaleshwari i guess..
Old 27th November 2008, 11:33   #755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
I guess that has to do with the Body Building by Swaraj. Looks like moulded fibre-glass, which it is.
AFAIK, the body is designed by Isuzu. I liked the "different" design. Almost all designers are building bodies which look too similar to the Volvo (either their old models or the new 9400). This has to change, and Swaraj has done just that!

Quote:
Note that the private this was in quotes! The "private" that I mean is that the bus is not registered in the KSRTC numbering series. KSRTC buses usually bear "KA-XX-F-NNNN" numbers.
Old 27th November 2008, 11:58   #756
Senior - BHPian

Glifford,
I guess like APSRTC (9Z,10Z,11Z), even the KSRTC has specific numbers for their buses.
Old 27th November 2008, 12:32   #757
BHPian

Quote:
KSRTC (Karnataka) has a different series KA ** F* 0000, all other numbers other than the F series are private (owned by individuals) and are running under lease.

KSRTC (Kerala) has different series KL 15 ** 0000
Old 27th November 2008, 12:34   #758
BHPian

Quote:
He must have meant it's not the registration number the the RTO issues for the transport department, ie. KA-XX F-XXXX (or even the new FA series).
Old 27th November 2008, 13:14   #759
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...they don't look as classy as the Volvos, esp the new CRDI (B7R) ones with LED tail lamps and all!
Glifford:
  1. Are there B7Rs with common-rail diesel injection?
  2. I have yet to see a single commercial vehicle of any kind that has LED tail lamps. Is there a B7R with LED tail lamps? Would you please post a pic (ideally with the LEDs on)?
Old 27th November 2008, 13:36   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Glifford:
  2. I have yet to see a single commercial vehicle of any kind that has LED tail lamps. Is there a B7R with LED tail lamps? Would you please post a pic (ideally with the LEDs on)?
The latest versions of B7R's come with the common rail technology. And yes, they have LED tail lamps. It looks very neat (sorry, dont have pictures though!)
Old 27th November 2008, 13:45   #761
BHPian

Red face CRDI Volvo B7R

Quote:
Glifford:
Hi Ram!
  1. Yes there are! Have seen one for more than a couple of months now. Have never carried my cam with me when I see it. Will make it a point to carry one next time. The bus on the whole looks a lot neater than earlier generation Volvos. Starting from the headlamps down to the back. Lots more attention to detail
  2. The LEDs are neat. It is like a bangle around a conventional bulb/reflector.

Quote:
AFAIK, the body is designed by Isuzu. I liked the "different" design. Almost all designers are building bodies which look too similar to the Volvo (either their old models or the new 9400). This has to change, and Swaraj has done just that!
Possibly. But I still feel it is forced to look different and lacks a clean flow of the design from the front to the back. But that's my take on it. Will reserve further views after I see one in the flesh (Metal/fibreglass). BTW, are those head/tail lamps made for the Isuzu (looks like that) or are they taken from some other car's parts bin (as is so common with bus builders including JCBL and Sutlej)? Also the "ISUZU" logo seems like an afterthought atleast in the front!

Quote:
Note that the private this was in quotes! The "private" that I mean is that the bus is not registered in the KSRTC numbering series. KSRTC buses usually bear "KA-XX-F-NNNN" numbers.
Am sorry I didn't know that aspect! You may be right!

Last edited by Glifford : 27th November 2008 at 13:51. Reason: Multiquoted the message!
Old 27th November 2008, 14:33   #762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Glifford:
Quote:
Hi Ram!
  1. Yes there are! Have seen one for more than a couple of months now. The bus on the whole looks a lot neater than earlier generation Volvos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
The latest versions of B7R's come with the common rail technology.
B7R did not feature CRDI technology. I don't think B7R is in production now.
The current Volvo buses are designated Volvo 9400 and Volvo 8400.

Check this:
buses : Volvo Buses - India

Last edited by directinjection : 27th November 2008 at 14:36.
Old 27th November 2008, 14:40   #763
BHPian

Thumbs up

[quote=directinjection;1070616]
B7R did not feature CRDI technology. I don't think B7R is in production now.
The current Volvo buses are designated Volvo 9400 and Volvo 8400.
/QUOTE]

I have posted what I have seen. I guess the B7R is too strong a brand to let go. All new BMTCs (recently bought less than 2 months back) are B7Rs.

The 9400 is the B9R!

Wait till I get the pics!
Old 27th November 2008, 14:48   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have posted what I have seen. I guess the B7R is too strong a brand to let go. All new BMTCs (recently bought less than 2 months back) are B7Rs.

The 9400 is the B9R!

Wait till I get the pics!
Azad-built B7R no longer features on Volvo India web site. Volvo now builds buses on its own which are designated differently. May be BMTC buses are from the old stock. But how did you conclude they have common rail? Did they carry a badge or something?
Old 27th November 2008, 14:56   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
The latest versions of B7R's come with the common rail technology. And yes, they have LED tail lamps. It looks very neat (sorry, dont have pictures though!)
If I am not mistaken, it is similar to the concept of CRDI, but a bit different I guess. Its more of a unit injector arrangement rather than than a common rail unit. More of a technical difference, I guess.

Cheers
Closed Thread