Old 25th February 2009, 23:28   #1036
nbr
BHPian

Cool just any other bus in mangalore

Found just another bus from Mangalore
Attached Images

Old 26th February 2009, 00:03   #1037
Senior - BHPian

^eew!what a colour combination!wait,is it a durgamba?I had travelled quiet a few times to mangalore(kottayam-kundapura service) from my town in that company's buses.they put the worst buses on service to kottayam(Sri Durgamba and durgamba-now not in service ,I guess) while ganesh travels buses are kind of OK.
Old 26th February 2009, 00:07   #1038
Distinguished - BHPian

One from good old days .. 'Agri College' college bus.

Commercial Vehicle Thread-uas.jpg

Anyone wants to guess the spot where this was shot ?
Old 26th February 2009, 00:37   #1039
Senior - BHPian

Smile

these are few pics of private buses here.bad quality-sorry took with n73 .will add few good quality pics later.
here ,most private buses ,except to rural routes carry name board written in english also(and few carries hindi too!).
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-16022009410.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-20022009418.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-20022009419.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-20022009425.jpg  

Last edited by deepclutch : 26th February 2009 at 00:38.
Old 26th February 2009, 12:37   #1040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Thanks foby.sebastian :

Question 1: Why do you call it a bug -- That's the de facto term for Volkswagen Beetle.

Maybe you meant: the gateway or listening post vehicle.
In that case, the term bug applies to
the miniature covert listening transducer, used by intelligence agencies: ATS, RAW, police... -- the actual miniature RF transmitter, usually from the size of a Crocin pill to the size of a pack of cigarettes,
not to the gateway relay or listening post vehicle.

Question 2: What is "military cocr"? A spelling mistake, or something we don't know about? Please educate us.

buddy the second one you mentioned was a spelling mistake

Then the answer for the "BUG" terminology , I didn't comared it with a German.

It is now a Bug to the people who Live around , it is a generator vehicle basically , and it has some starting trouble too , so when ever they need to move that vehicle to some where or to get started they need to put in lots of energy. It that sense I mentioned it as a Bug .
Old 26th February 2009, 16:14   #1041
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I was reading yesterdays Hindustan Times in Delhi.

It mentions of the low accident rate due to new Green N Red (AC) buses.

One of the points worth noting are that these buses are automatic and donot have clutch.

I wonder how is Tata managing to build Automatic Buses, while they couldnt do the same with Passenger car till now.

I am reproducing the story here again. Any idea, anyone here ?

__________________________________________________ _________

Low-floor buses are 10.75 times safer than Blueline buses (They cause one fatal accident every 1.8 crore bus-kilometres) Low floor buses are also 7.6 times safer than ordinary DTC buses (which cause one fatal accident every 24 lakh bus-kilometres) DTC's ordinary buses are only 0.4 times safer than Blueline buses (Bluelines cause one fatal accident every 17 lakh bus-kilometres) THE GREEN-COLOURED lowfloor Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) buses are not only comfortable to ride in but also safe - for their own passengers as well as the rest of the traffic.
Statistics reveal that lowfloor buses are 10.75 times safer than Blueline buses and 7.6 times safer than ordinary DTC buses. In the last 16 months, ever since the first fleet of 12 eco-friendly low-floor buses was flagged off in Delhi, only three people have died after being hit by them. Two fatal accidents took place in 2008, and one in 2009.
Drivers said special features in these buses made driving them easier. DTC chairman RK Verma, however, compliments the drivers for driving such 'big and wide buses' so safely on crowded roads infested with heterogeneous traffic.
"Road safety depends on how good the driver is. Drivers of low-floor buses are always cautious and alert and have really adapted well to the technology of these modern buses," Verma said.
Senior DTC officials said drivers selected to drive lowfloor buses were given special one-week training - both theoretical and practical - by the manufacturers.
Apart from the skilled drivers, there are some features in these buses which are suited for driving conditions in Delhi.
"These buses come with big rear-view mirrors on both sides, which help drivers keep an eye on other vehicles. The large onepiece windscreen gives a better view of the road ahead, especially of two-wheelers. Since there is no clutch pedal and this bus comes with automatic transmission system, a driver can control the vehicle better with both hands firmly gripping the steering wheel," said a Tata Motors official, who did not wish to be named.
With pneumatic doors, the chances of people travelling on the footboard and falling or alighting from the moving bus are also reduced.
Rohit Baluja, President, Institute of Road Traffic Education, also said low-floor buses were most ideal for the Capital's roads.
__________________________________________________ ____
Old 26th February 2009, 17:47   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Guys,

I was reading yesterdays Hindustan Times in Delhi.

It mentions of the low accident rate due to new Green N Red (AC) buses.

One of the points worth noting are that these buses are automatic and donot have clutch.

I wonder how is Tata managing to build Automatic Buses, while they couldnt do the same with Passenger car till now.

I am reproducing the story here again. Any idea, anyone here ?
No Big deal!

They can always import transmissions or buy the technology to make them. Tata now owns MarcoPolo and they could get some stuff from there too (not sure of transmissions).

Fixing auto transmissions on public transport is one thing, for passenger cars is another.

Automatic as a concept has never caught on here. For many reasons including price and fuel consumption. Heck, even in Europe most people prefer manuals for private cars. It is only in places like the US, Middle East (and maybe Australia?) where automatics are popular as fuel is cheap.

Tata offers MarcoPolos with both manual and automatic transmissions.

I can remember taking a ride on a boxy conventional looking Ashok Leyland B.E.S.T bus in Bombay way back in 2000/2001 when it had an auto transmission. Yes! Back then.
Old 26th February 2009, 21:48   #1043
Distinguished - BHPian

It could be just a coincidence or due to the fact that DTC is using more experienced and disciplined drivers to drive their expensive buses.
I think giving automatics to regular rouge drivers will make the roads more dangerous because they dont get tired and so they drive like maniacs all day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
They are managing by fitting transmissions manufactured by a company called Allison Transmissions. Made in USA. Allison is also setting up a plant in Chennai.
In western countries, all Citybuses use automatic because it would be too tiring to keep shifting gears in traffic. Intercity coaches use manuals.
Old 27th February 2009, 00:20   #1044
BHPian

Allison has a plant on Hosur. I believe allison has a collaboration with HM
Old 27th February 2009, 00:22   #1045
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Allison has a plant on Hosur. I believe allison has a collaboration with HM
Thats AVTEC, previously known as HPP and its for bulldozers and such. The new plant is for bus transmissions in Chennai.
Old 27th February 2009, 08:28   #1046
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
No Big deal!

They can always import transmissions or buy the technology to make them. Tata now owns MarcoPolo and they could get some stuff from there too (not sure of transmissions).

Fixing auto transmissions on public transport is one thing, for passenger cars is another.

Automatic as a concept has never caught on here. For many reasons including price and fuel consumption. Heck, even in Europe most people prefer manuals for private cars. It is only in places like the US, Middle East (and maybe Australia?) where automatics are popular as fuel is cheap.

Tata offers MarcoPolos with both manual and automatic transmissions.

I can remember taking a ride on a boxy conventional looking Ashok Leyland B.E.S.T bus in Bombay way back in 2000/2001 when it had an auto transmission. Yes! Back then.

B.E.S.T. had auto tranny buses as early as 1996-97 if i am not wrong.. i can even try to provide Reg. nos of those but sadly they are all converted to conventional manual transmission ones now.. only 2-3 auto trans buses left except the new Kinglongs and the rest.
Old 27th February 2009, 08:36   #1047
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
There are quite a few new CVs being tested out these days around Pune highways.
Apart from the now-common(ly spotted) Mahindra-Navistar truck, there is also another 6x4 truck, with a tank mounted on it which is undergoing testing. The cab design is quite modern, and sports MH-14/TC plates, so I guess its a Tata.
Then there is another white 6x4 tractor pulling a test trailer (no, its not the Tata's world Truck), with blue(ish) decals on the doors, which I had brief glimpses of a couple of times, but never managed a complete look. Cab looks modern, but not really cutting edge.

Lastly, there is also a compact but heavily disguised small truck.(407 class) It looks like one of those Japanese compact trucks.
Has anybody else here spotted the above and can give more details on those ?
The CV segment would see a lot of action by the year end, I guess.

Sajo bhai... if u are seeing so many of these mules there, then please try to get some pics yaar... or please anyone do post some pictures.. where is Tuskhy?
Old 27th February 2009, 09:28   #1048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Thats AVTEC, previously known as HPP and its for bulldozers and such. The new plant is for bus transmissions in Chennai.
Ashokleyland was using transmissions from the Hosur plant for their BEST buses. I dunno whether they were imported through them, or manufactured there but the service was done by guys from Hosur
Old 27th February 2009, 13:40   #1049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
If this trucks runs in our India then there will be no road to drive for other people. In India our Road Construction is not that good to deal with this heavy vehicle.
Did you observed the City Road Condition where the Construction vehicle runs every day... Even some time they broke the Median and drive...
Old 27th February 2009, 13:44   #1050
Team-BHP Support

When you talk about road damage its not the vehicle weight which is the culprit, but the pressure.
So if you have an ordinary loaded truck with much more weight than permissible limit, then you have the tires putting much more pressure.
In case of a larger truck where load is better distributed, road damage will be much less.
Many times trucks are overloaded, and these overloaded trucks are responsible for damage.
If a larger truck with more wheels hence better distribution is used, then road damage will be much less
Closed Thread