Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 7th March 2009, 13:51   #1066
BHPian

Hispano looks good in this Garuda 'livery'. Good price difference too...
Old 7th March 2009, 19:45   #1067
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting titbit, Mercedes does not have any dealers for commercial vehicles but instead sell direct to the customer. I guess they are only looking for large customers like mining companies and travel companies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Hispano looks good in this Garuda 'livery'. Good price difference too...
50 lakhs for Tata vs 80 for Volvo. So TATA's strategy is Hispano for coaches and Marcopolos for citibuses?
Old 7th March 2009, 23:01   #1068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
50 lakhs for Tata vs 80 for Volvo. So TATA's strategy is Hispano for coaches and Marcopolos for citibuses?
AFAIK, YES! But, recently some news reports claim that both would be manufactured by the TMML Facility at Dharwad. Currently Hispanos are made by ACGL, while Marcos are put together at TATA Lucknow. The TMML Unit at Dharwad completed trial production, not sure if serial production has begun.

As of now, Marco seems to have won only the DTC order. BEST is still "considering" it, while BMTC has made it clear that the trials would be one year long, and decision would me made only after it.

But the inflow of Volvos continue at BMTC - As of today, about 352 are on road, and more are coming in - at the rate of about 20 per month!!!. Saw one brand new bus roaming around without the boards displaying anything today.
Old 9th March 2009, 13:38   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
AFAIK, YES! But, recently some news reports claim that both would be manufactured by the TMML Facility at Dharwad. Currently Hispanos are made by ACGL, while Marcos are put together at TATA Lucknow. The TMML Unit at Dharwad completed trial production, not sure if serial production has begun.

As of now, Marco seems to have won only the DTC order. BEST is still "considering" it, while BMTC has made it clear that the trials would be one year long, and decision would me made only after it.

But the inflow of Volvos continue at BMTC - As of today, about 352 are on road, and more are coming in - at the rate of about 20 per month!!!. Saw one brand new bus roaming around without the boards displaying anything today.
But I understand that DTC is the biggest customer by far. The deadline of Asian Games means its a guaranteed order. Tata had initially bagged an order for 650 buses. This was followed by an order for 1625 buses. Overall its more than 2,000 for Tata alone! In terms of value its beats Bangalore orders hands down...
Old 9th March 2009, 17:05   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
In terms of value its beats Bangalore orders hands down...
Volvo has orders for over 400 buses directly from BMTC and 150 more under JNNURM. This is for Volvo alone.

In addition to these, BMTC has ordered a huge number of Leylands. According to ABIDe, the fleet is slated to be doubled to 10,000 buses by 2011-2012. By far, this would make BMTC the BIGGEST urban transport corporation. (It already is, with over 5200 buses on the road).

So, As of today, BMTC has orders for close to 5,000 buses, from different manufacturers.
Old 9th March 2009, 17:09   #1071
Senior - BHPian

AL won the DTC order for 875 low-floor buses recently too! So it is catching up with Tata.

Ashok Leyland Wins Delhi 875 Low Floor CNG Bus Deal - NGV Global - Alternative Fuel, CNG, NGV, LNG
Old 9th March 2009, 17:15   #1072
Team-BHP Support

I saw a new B7R plying the roads of Hyderabad as a Local Bus.

Couple of long buses (Vestibule) have also started on the 127K route. They really struggle the climb on Rd #12 from Rd #1, Banjara Hills.

Question: AFAIK the symbol T must be displayed on the front and rear of a long bus. These just display the words "LONG BUS". Is that correct?

Last edited by bblost : 9th March 2009 at 17:16.
Old 9th March 2009, 17:15   #1073
BHPian

Yes... But with Delhi, the entire fleet will shift to proper urban bus - in the mould of Marco Polo and the yet to be named Ashok Leyland Bus. Such a bus (say 50 lakhs) is at least four times the value of a normal chassis based bus (say 10 - 15 lakhs).

And the numbers that I mentioned for Delhi are those whose orders are finalised - for the buses as well as the maintenance for 12 years from the day of purchase. In simple words the cash for the new model as well as the maintenance is on the table. If someone has worked with government projects they will assure that this is big difference.

Anyways hope both BMTC and Delhi corporation prosper!
Old 9th March 2009, 22:04   #1074

AFAIK that bigger, butch steering wheel on the new Volvos houses an airbag. It also houses the entertainment system controls in international models. Please correct me if I am mistaken...

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Bizzy/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Bizzy/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11th March 2009, 14:06   #1075
Team-BHP Support

The Hindu Business Line : Volvo Buses expects annual sales to grow 25%
Volvo Buses expects annual sales to grow 25%
Old 11th March 2009, 14:35   #1076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I saw a new B7R plying the roads of Hyderabad as a Local Bus.

Couple of long buses (Vestibule) have also started on the 127K route. They really struggle the climb on Rd #12 from Rd #1, Banjara Hills.

Question: AFAIK the symbol T must be displayed on the front and rear of a long bus. These just display the words "LONG BUS". Is that correct?
These B7R low floor city buses are part of the Ministry of Urban Development project to given 8000 AC low floor buses to various major cities in India which is intended to improve the public transportation infrastructure. In Delhi, I park my car at the metro station and use the metro wherever I can. Even the Red DTC AC buses have improved public transportation.
@railfanwithk750: Is the bigger butch steering wheel from the B9R? Its supposed to equipped with a 380 HP CRDI 9 Litre engine and crunches inter city miles faster than the B7R. As regards to the audio controls on the wheels, I don't remember having seen that in UK or Europe but this one definitely has slots of switch placement on the spokes.
Old 11th March 2009, 20:39   #1077
BANNED

can some one post pics of the new Volvo local bus in HYD and the vestibules?

we had some yellow colored vestibule buses in Mumbai but they were scrapped recently.
Old 12th March 2009, 08:58   #1078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
@railfanwithk750: Is the bigger butch steering wheel from the B9R? Its supposed to equipped with a 380 HP CRDI 9 Litre engine and crunches inter city miles faster than the B7R. As regards to the audio controls on the wheels, I don't remember having seen that in UK or Europe but this one definitely has slots of switch placement on the spokes.
Thats from a B7R (9400). I am very sure of that since I was the photographer. (The bus was KL15-7231, of Kerala SRTC, working Trivandrum-Bangalore). The Indian version of the B9R comes 9 Litre 340hp engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
can some one post pics of the new Volvo local bus in HYD and the vestibules?

we had some yellow colored vestibule buses in Mumbai but they were scrapped recently.
Not from Hyderabad, but here are some from Bangalore. BMTC is not purchasing new vestibule buses, and all these are older ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-p1140347.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-p1160974.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-p1180134.jpg  

Old 12th March 2009, 09:36   #1079
BANNED

nice pictures.. we in Mumbai probably had the similar chasis seems by looking at the wheels.. but sadly we dont have it any more on our streets. RIP :(
Old 17th March 2009, 15:39   #1080
Senior - BHPian

exhaust braking on tata chassis. this synchronizes with the normal brakes. provides an efficient braking.
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-exhaust-braking.jpg  

Closed Thread