Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 17th March 2009, 15:42   #1081
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
exhaust braking on tata chassis. this synchronizes with the normal brakes. provides an efficient braking.
I had no idea this was possible, but now seems like such a simple idea.
Exhaust brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 17th March 2009, 16:08   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
exhaust braking on tata chassis. this synchronizes with the normal brakes. provides an efficient braking.
The whole idea of exhaust brakes is that they help you to slow down the engine speed thereby reducing your speed and are meant for rainy season and driving down a slope. All a driver has to do is turn on the EB switch and leave the accelerator while coming down a slope. The moment the accelerator is not getting pressed and the driver is not applying brakes, the EB gets activated. Moment the driver presses the throttle, the EB gets deactivated. Same thing happens with the brakes as well.

Sychronising the EB with your normal brakes is not advisable because
  1. EB is supposed to reduce wear and tear of normal brakes which isn't happening here.
  2. EB helps reducing slippages on wet roads that affect is also negated.
I dont know why would TATA do this when all the major advantages are negated.
Old 17th March 2009, 16:16   #1083
Senior - BHPian

while moving a down slope with the EB on the driver also uses the normal brakes without pressing the accelerator. thus along with normal braking the EB is synchronized and this provided better braking assisted by engine retardation.
Old 17th March 2009, 16:28   #1084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
while moving a down slope with the EB on the driver also uses the normal brakes without pressing the accelerator. thus along with normal braking the EB is synchronized and this provided better braking assisted by engine retardation.
But as I said it negates the 1st point of my previous post.

My knowledge is from what Swaraj Mazda trucks used to use till about 4 years back and this was emulated by Eicher as well.
Old 17th March 2009, 17:17   #1085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Not from Hyderabad, but here are some from Bangalore. BMTC is not purchasing new vestibule buses, and all these are older ones.
any more info on these buses?

Do they come with more powerful engines, trans ratios? or axles?
How many seats?
How is the passenger comfort overall? and why is it not popular?/drawbacks? Are they still being made? Somehow I think its more suited for highways rather than conjested citys.
Old 17th March 2009, 17:36   #1086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

How many seats?
How is the passenger comfort overall? and why is it not popular?/drawbacks? Are they still being made? Somehow I think its more suited for highways rather than conjested citys.
These buses have been there for quite sometime now in Bangalore and Chennai in India and have been introduced lately in Hyderabad as well. They are beneficial as they carry more no. of people compared to space occupied on roads, fuel consumption, air pollution and other various metrics. The major disadvantage is in congested roads, they end up adding to the congestion and confusion. These buses are ideal where in you have the dedicated bus tracks or lanes
The Hindu : Andhra Pradesh / Hyderabad News : Trailer buses revisit city roads after 30 years
Old 17th March 2009, 20:21   #1087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

How many seats?
They come with 167hp BSII Hino Engines (the newer versions come with a BSIII engine). The front carriage is comfortable. The rear one has a very bumpy ride, and the last seat is the worst. You are literally thrown up in the air when ever the bus goes over a speed breaker. Vestibule buses are still being made, but Bangalore is not purchasing them.
Old 18th March 2009, 16:03   #1088
BHPian

There are quite a few of these 'Premier' lorries in Hyderabad with their distinctive 'parrot beaks'. Most of them have 'PAL', 'Premier' or 'Dodge' and sometimes, even an 'Fargo' written on them.

They have this loud, confident, 'tenor' esque exhaust note with a hint of bass...and are quite brisk with a good mid-range. I saw a chromy, impeccably maintained specimen doing a 90+ kmph recently!!

Any idea about the engine specs/payload? Hyderabadis, please oblige with some nice pics!
Old 18th March 2009, 17:11   #1089
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the info guys. I feel with some engineering and development thesse buses can be made more comfortable in the back. However I feel that double decker is the best solution for the city and vestibule for intercity coaches.

According to the article seating capacity is 61 which is only 6 more than a B9R. I thought it would be a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
These buses have been there for quite sometime now in Bangalore and Chennai in India and have been introduced lately in Hyderabad as well. They are beneficial as they carry more no. of people compared to space occupied on roads, fuel consumption, air pollution and other various metrics. The major disadvantage is in congested roads, they end up adding to the congestion and confusion. These buses are ideal where in you have the dedicated bus tracks or lanes
The Hindu : Andhra Pradesh / Hyderabad News : Trailer buses revisit city roads after 30 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
They come with 167hp BSII Hino Engines (the newer versions come with a BSIII engine). The front carriage is comfortable. The rear one has a very bumpy ride, and the last seat is the worst. You are literally thrown up in the air when ever the bus goes over a speed breaker. Vestibule buses are still being made, but Bangalore is not purchasing them.
Old 19th March 2009, 00:04   #1090
BHPian

Bangalore's newly introduced BIG 10 buses.

These are AL coaches with Air suspension.

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00546.jpg

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00578.jpg

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00579.jpg

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00622.jpg

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00796.jpg

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00803.jpg

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00804.jpg

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00823.jpg
Old 19th March 2009, 01:00   #1091
BHPian

More from Bangalore, BMTC's Volvo B7RLE Vajras & Vayu vajras

Oh, this one gets so close to me

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00164.jpg

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00524.jpg

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00541.jpg

This is a Vayu Vajra, service to BIAL, with full body wrap advt.

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00551.jpg

Another Vayu Vajra resting at HAL Airport bus stop

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00577.jpg

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00599.jpg

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00601.jpg

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00787.jpg

The next two are Vayu Vajras with full body wrap advts

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00813.jpg

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00806.jpg
Old 19th March 2009, 08:17   #1092
Senior - BHPian

atleast the drivers will now take care of the bus or the people on the roads while handling this new and expensive vehicles.
Old 19th March 2009, 09:27   #1093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs View Post
More from Bangalore, BMTC's Volvo B7RLE Vajras & Vayu vajras

Oh, this one gets so close to me

Attachment 113444

Attachment 113445

Attachment 113446

This is a Vayu Vajra, service to BIAL, with full body wrap advt.

Attachment 113447

Another Vayu Vajra resting at HAL Airport bus stop

Attachment 113448

Attachment 113449

Attachment 113450

Attachment 113451

The next two are Vayu Vajras with full body wrap advts

Attachment 113452

Attachment 113453
BMTC is making operational losses on the Volvo services. However the advertising revenue is helping them cover the losses.
Old 19th March 2009, 09:40   #1094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
These buses were operational in Nagercoil - TN for Nesamony Transport Corporation Ltd in late 80's (now TNSTC - Madurai-III). I used to take this bus when i visit my home town - Colachel !
Old 19th March 2009, 11:11   #1095
BANNED

awsome VOLVOs there.. wish we got such buses instead of those shoddy King Longs.
Closed Thread