Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 11:15   #1096
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
atleast the drivers will now take care of the bus or the people on the roads while handling this new and expensive vehicles.
Not really, they brake hard and turn at high speeds with passengers clinging on to each other.

Not all of them though.
Spitfire is offline  
Old 19th March 2009, 11:18   #1097
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Not really, they brake hard and turn at high speeds with passengers clinging on to each other.

Not all of them though.
But one thing is Volvo has changed the bus transportation landscape in the country. They came in with a product which the other veterans ( TATA & ALL) laughed at saying that the market was not ready for such a high priced product, but now they themselves are trying to up their game. The latest addition is the Isuzu buses launched by Swaraj Mazda.

to Volvo
MileCruncher is offline  
Old 19th March 2009, 11:24   #1098
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
But one thing is Volvo has changed the bus transportation landscape in the country.
Oh.. I wasnt complaining about the bus, it was more about the drivers driving habits.

I use the Volvo's regularly to go to the busiest parts of the city leaving my vehicle at home. Comfortable, VFM and timely.
Spitfire is offline  
Old 19th March 2009, 12:33   #1099
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Oh.. I wasnt complaining about the bus, it was more about the drivers driving habits.

I use the Volvo's regularly to go to the busiest parts of the city leaving my vehicle at home. Comfortable, VFM and timely.
I do the same in Delhi. Metro coupled with AC buses have made public transportation very user friendly. And the DTC drivers who drive these Green and Red buses have also been trained on soft skills making it a pleasure to interact with them.
I hope Bangalore and Delhi case studies are implemented in other metros as well.
MileCruncher is offline  
Old 20th March 2009, 23:32   #1100
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: KOCHI
Posts: 367
Thanked: 81 Times
Default The father of indian luxury buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
But one thing is Volvo has changed the bus transportation landscape in the country. They came in with a product which the other veterans ( TATA & ALL) laughed at saying that the market was not ready for such a high priced product, but now they themselves are trying to up their game. The latest addition is the Isuzu buses launched by Swaraj Mazda.

to Volvo
1. Looking back we find that, there has been serious attempts in the past by our ALL & TML in this regard. For example, AshokLeyland had launched "Cruiser" way back in 1997-98. This model had most of these features that we find in a volvo today. Like, air suspension, rear engine (160Hp Hino - very powerful in those times), monocoque construction of body (without a ladder frame chassis), full a/c, power steering, imported fabric upholstery etc. The cost was around Rs. 32Lakhs at that time. Avaliable sources suggest that more than 50 numbers had been sold during that period. And i remember seeing one at Bangalore named "Sai Travels".
Its true that there was not much market for these then; may be due to the economic conditions in those days...
I believe this one would be the father of indian high end luxury buses.
Here are some pictures of the same...(sorry for poor quality).

2. Also a picture of the first low floor bus in india named "SITIBUS", launched by Leyland in association with Iveco.

3. About exhaust brakes, i would like to clarify that its not a new technology in indian CV's. It was there even in Tata 1210 series. But now its a mandatory fittment in all CV as per CMVR norms, after April2005.

4. Those new buses "Big10" introduced by bmtc are built on Leyland "VikingSLF" (semi low floor) chassis. This model was specifically developed by ALL team at the time of BEST Mutp tender. It has a lowered chassis frame with air suspension at rear and weveller(rubber spring) at front. The engine is at front, by which they reduced the complications of a rear engine design, at the same time it became more economically viable for procurement as well as operations. This model has been an instant success across various STUs.

to Ashok Leyland
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-alcrusier.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-alcruiser_rr.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-alcruiser_cab.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-alcruiser_inside.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-alsitibus-iveco.jpg  

Transsenger is offline  
Old 21st March 2009, 01:47   #1101
BHPian
 
sudheeshnairs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Trivandrum/Bangalore
Posts: 146
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

More from Bangalore

An Orange Line HO HO Volvo on the left and a BIG 10 on the right

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00860.jpg

BIG 10 on the Old Airport Road

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00863.jpg

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00872.jpg
sudheeshnairs is offline  
Old 21st March 2009, 13:50   #1102
nbr
BHPian
 
nbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MANGALORE/BALEHONNUR/DUBAI
Posts: 438
Thanked: 47 Times
Cool Low floor??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs View Post
More from Bangalore

An Orange Line HO HO Volvo on the left and a BIG 10 on the right

Attachment 114113

BIG 10 on the Old Airport Road

Attachment 114114

Attachment 114115
I had seen the big 10 in Bangalore last week when i was India,but the floor height seems to be of a normal bus. Even though they claim it to be a semi floored chassis,it is not as low as Volvos around in Bangalore.
nbr is offline  
Old 21st March 2009, 13:57   #1103
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
1. Looking back we find that, there has been serious attempts in the past by our ALL & TML in this regard. For example, AshokLeyland had launched "Cruiser" way back in 1997-98. This model had most of these features that we find in a volvo today. Like, air suspension, rear engine (160Hp Hino - very powerful in those times), monocoque construction of body (without a ladder frame chassis), full a/c, power steering, imported fabric upholstery etc. The cost was around Rs. 32Lakhs at that time. Avaliable sources suggest that more than 50 numbers had been sold during that period. And i remember seeing one at Bangalore named "Sai Travels".
Its true that there was not much market for these then; may be due to the economic conditions in those days...
I believe this one would be the father of indian high end luxury buses.
Here are some pictures of the same...(sorry for poor quality).

2. Also a picture of the first low floor bus in india named "SITIBUS", launched by Leyland in association with Iveco.

3. About exhaust brakes, i would like to clarify that its not a new technology in indian CV's. It was there even in Tata 1210 series. But now its a mandatory fittment in all CV as per CMVR norms, after April2005.

4. Those new buses "Big10" introduced by bmtc are built on Leyland "VikingSLF" (semi low floor) chassis. This model was specifically developed by ALL team at the time of BEST Mutp tender. It has a lowered chassis frame with air suspension at rear and weveller(rubber spring) at front. The engine is at front, by which they reduced the complications of a rear engine design, at the same time it became more economically viable for procurement as well as operations. This model has been an instant success across various STUs.

to Ashok Leyland
My bad, didn't knew about these buses. Well I do agree that ALL has been at the forefront of getting new technology to the CV segment much more than TATA but somehow I guess it has been Volvo and the economic climate /infrastructure which helped in bringing a change in the CV scene in India
MileCruncher is offline  
Old 21st March 2009, 16:25   #1104
BHPian
 
sudheeshnairs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Trivandrum/Bangalore
Posts: 146
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

BIG 10s seems not low floor ones. I feel they are usual AL viking chasis with air suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
I had seen the big 10 in Bangalore last week when i was India,but the floor height seems to be of a normal bus. Even though they claim it to be a semi floored chassis,it is not as low as Volvos around in Bangalore.
sudheeshnairs is offline  
Old 21st March 2009, 16:27   #1105
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,726
Thanked: 823 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
4. Those new buses "Big10" introduced by bmtc are built on Leyland "VikingSLF" (semi low floor) chassis. This model was specifically developed by ALL team at the time of BEST Mutp tender. It has a lowered chassis frame with air suspension at rear and weveller(rubber spring) at front. The engine is at front, by which they reduced the complications of a rear engine design, at the same time it became more economically viable for procurement as well as operations. This model has been an instant success across various STUs.
While your point about the BEST MUTP order, the news about BMTC Big10 is absolutely wrong. I am a daily passenger on these Big10s, and the chassis used in these buses are normal Viking BSIII engine. These buses are equipped with air-suspension.
binaiks is offline  
Old 21st March 2009, 23:15   #1106
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (MH-01)
Posts: 809
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
While your point about the BEST MUTP order, the news about BMTC Big10 is absolutely wrong. I am a daily passenger on these Big10s, and the chassis used in these buses are normal Viking BSIII engine. These buses are equipped with air-suspension.
Semi-Low Floor buses basically have a slightly lower first step and the total number of steps is one less than that of the bus with the regular chassis. Atleast, that is the case with the BEST MUTP. Infact, if you leave apart the moulded front facia of the BEST Viking SLF bus, it looks more or less like the other regular buses. But it is slightly lower in height whereas its Pune counterpart looks more like a citybus just like Bengaluru's Big10.

Having said that, it is difficult for me to figure out whether the Big10 buses are running on SLF chassis or not by looking at the pics. Nevertheless, I just wanted to convey that the differences between the Viking SLF and the regular Viking chassis are very subtle, atleast for the casual observer.

@Transsenger



Many times, I'd seen a green coloured "Cruiser" on the Mumbai-Pune route operated by Royal Travels. Don't if it is still used. For years, I wonder what bus is this. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 21st March 2009 at 23:27.
salilpawar1 is offline  
Old 21st March 2009, 23:20   #1107
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,578
Thanked: 120 Times
Default

some of those AL crusiers were used by Air Deccan as buses to transport passanegers from the terminal to the aircraft when they started flying but these were scrapped about 2 years ago.. many of these were parked in Vakola Area of MUmbai for about a month in very sad condition.


THose BIG 10 and Vajra Volvos etc.. Bangalore seems to have the most hi-tech and well designed Government Run City Transport services at the moment.
fx45 is offline  
Old 23rd March 2009, 19:24   #1108
BHPian
 
tushky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pune/ Thermopolis
Posts: 937
Thanked: 588 Times
Default Spotte Nissan Atlas

spotted 2 Nissan Atlas near ARAI. sorry couldnt click the pic because my camera didnt start on time giving the pics below. the truck wasnt covered at all. only the badge was hidden by tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-nissan_atlas_f24_001.jpg  

Attached Images
 

Last edited by tushky : 23rd March 2009 at 19:28.
tushky is offline  
Old 23rd March 2009, 23:11   #1109
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: KOCHI
Posts: 367
Thanked: 81 Times
Default original SLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
While your point about the BEST MUTP order, the news about BMTC Big10 is absolutely wrong. I am a daily passenger on these Big10s, and the chassis used in these buses are normal Viking BSIII engine. These buses are equipped with air-suspension.


Let us clear this confussion. If anybody can get a closer look then please take note of the following points; might help to find out the difference between VikingSLF & Normal Viking buses:
1. Check for the hight of rear wheel arch /mudguard (inside the bus) and if its similar to that shown in the photo below, we can be sure its a Viking SLF. (Normal viking do not have such large wheel arch inside the bus as the floor height is more than 900mm.)

2. The difference in floor height:
Viking SLF - 850mm(max.)
Normal viking - more than 900mm

3. The chassis frame of Viking SLF is not a straight ladder type as in case of normal viking. The images of the same has been discussed earlier in this thread.

4. The viking SLF has 167PS Hino BS3 engine. This configuration is not avaliable on normal viking.

5. There is no visible difference in position & height of steering wheel of both these models.

6. Moreover,i dont understand why would BMTC opt for normal viking with air suspension to supplement volvo services; when most other STUs shift to vikingSLF for city operations. (example: Chennai MTC, LucknowUPSRTC, & many more). And the basic purpose of developing vikingSLF was to meet the demands in city application.

7. Currently the following models are avaliable for citybus application:
Ashok Leyland-Viking SLF (2 step entry), Low floor buses based on "Panther" chassis(with 1 or 2 step entry), Ultralow entry buses based on Foton platform.
Tata Motors-Starbus series (1 or 2 step entry and ultra low floor), Marcopolo low floor buses.

OK!
Attached Images
 
Transsenger is offline  
Old 24th March 2009, 09:38   #1110
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,726
Thanked: 823 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
1. Check for the hight of rear wheel arch /mudguard (inside the bus) and if its similar to that shown in the photo below, we can be sure its a Viking SLF. (Normal viking do not have such large wheel arch inside the bus as the floor height is more than 900mm.)
I think I had been very clear in my previous post (and even earlier) that Suvarna (and Big10s) are NOT built semi-low floor chassis. I am a daily passenger on these buses, and can very well distinguish between a semi-low floor and a normal floor.

One image of the interiors has been attached. Just check the size of the wheel well in that image, and you can draw you own conclusion, whether it is a semi-low floor or a normal chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
4. The viking SLF has 167PS Hino BS3 engine. This configuration is not avaliable on normal viking.
It is very much available sir! Viking BSIII is powered by an "H" Series 6 DTI , 6 CYL. Turbo Charged Inter cooled Diesel which pumps out 167 PS @ 2400 rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post

6. Moreover,i dont understand why would BMTC opt for normal viking with air suspension to supplement volvo services; when most other STUs shift to vikingSLF for city operations. (example: Chennai MTC, LucknowUPSRTC, & many more). And the basic purpose of developing vikingSLF was to meet the demands in city application.
I am sure there are financial considerations too here. BMTC purchases only Normal chassis from TATA/Ashok Leyland. Low Floor buses are ALWAYS taken from Volvo (the same applies to the recent JNNURM order too). Mumbai's BEST is still purchasing normal Chassis (for their CNG buses - since they no more purchase Diesel buses).
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-dscf0815.jpg  

binaiks is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCOOP : Nissan Commercial Vehicle spotted testing EDIT : Now as Ashok Leyland trammway Commercial Vehicles 40 31st May 2013 11:15
Heavy Commercial Vehicle Sales slowing down. Recessionary Trend? anjan_c2007 Commercial Vehicles 6 7th March 2013 16:20
Volvo-Eicher JV to plan new commercial vehicle portfolio DukeNukem Commercial Vehicles 1 16th September 2012 07:29
The Light and Small Commercial Vehicle Thread kadri007 Commercial Vehicles 136 20th April 2012 09:21
Commercial vehicle dealerships! raj_5004 Commercial Vehicles 1 9th April 2010 17:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks