Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 6th August 2007, 12:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default An addition to the reckless drivers' category of bangalore - Tractors( with PICS)

This accident happened about half an hour ago, I was driving from my house to 4th block Jayanagar for some personal work. Saw a weird swift with dual tone paint job ahead of my car.
Thought of taking a pic but the signal turned green and off we went, we both took a right.
I saw the swift trying to overtake the tractor, but the tractor suddenly turned right and hit the swift swung it around and the trailer of the tractor crushing the rear left door of the swift.
No body was hurt, the swift driver was a kid in his teens, he was totally confused and visibly disturbed. The fault was totally with the driver of the tractor and I later learnt that he did not have a driving license.
Couldn't stay there for long because I had some important work.
Took the following pics from my cam phone.

BTW this car also qualifies for the weird and wacky mods thread also
Sorry for the poor quality

speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 12:09   #2
Team-BHP Support

Tractors with their trailors are a known menace to society. They become even bigger menaces when they carry people in their trailors.

Why doesnt the government restrict the use of tractors to just farms where they belong? Why let them run loose on the roads?
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 12:59   #3
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
I saw the swift trying to overtake the tractor, but the tractor suddenly turned right and hit the swift
swung it around
and the trailer of the tractor crushing the rear left door of the swift.

Nobody was hurt, the swift driver was a kid in his teens,
he was totally confused and visibly disturbed.
The fault was totally with the driver of the tractor
and I later learnt that he did not have a driving license.
Some thoughts come to mind.

As per my knowledge and experience, the law in every country would rule against the overtaking driver and make them pay for damage to the vehicle being overtaken. Besides, if a driver rear-ends another vehicle, no matter whose fault it is, they must pay a fine for not being able to keep their vehicle under control.

Quote:
1122 Overtaking a vehicle.
The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the offside thereof at a safe distance and shall not again steer towards the curb until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle, keeping in mind the speed of the overtaken vehicle.

1129 Following too closely.
The driver of a motor vehicle shall not follow another vehicle
more closely than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard for the speed of such vehicles and the traffic upon and the condition of the road.
Overtaking is not a birthright. Every driver must be careful while overtaking
(moreso when there is no separate lane for overtaking).

Did the kid in his teens have a valid driving license?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 13:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post

Yes, he had a valid license. The fault was with the tractor driver, because he moved to left to allow the swift but later he changed his mind and banged him. I was driving just behind the swift, so I can clearly say that It was not the swift driver's fault.
Old 6th August 2007, 13:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

How weird ? I saw this car on my way to office near airport road !!
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 13:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Jeez thats a bad wreck. I can imagine what the kid must be going thru.

Was the tractor driver taken to task? Not only was it his fault, plus no license Do they think this is a bl***y village where rules dont exist?
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 14:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Tractors with their trailors are a known menace to society. They become even bigger menaces when they carry people in their trailors.

Why doesnt the government restrict the use of tractors to just farms where they belong? Why let them run loose on the roads?
Benny i think they are restricted, atleast there should be some law but none to enforce it!

So many i have spotted without the number plate and many a times i have spotted with 2 numbers(the tractor and the trailor having diffrent numbers)

Sad part is these people commit mistake but are easily let off...
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 20:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As per my knowledge and experience, the law in every country would rule against the overtaking driver and make them pay for damage to the vehicle being overtaken. Besides, if a driver rear-ends another vehicle, no matter whose fault it is, they must pay a fine for not being able to keep their vehicle under control.

Overtaking is not a birthright. Every driver must be careful while overtaking
(moreso when there is no separate lane for overtaking).

You are quite right, but there is also a rule that when you are trying to make a right turn, you should first ensure that you are not being overtaken before you actually make the turn. As per the original writeup, it was not the swift drivers prerogative to know that the tractor will turn right, after half of his car has already overtaken the tractor.

Tractors should not be allowed on the roads at all, trailer or no trailer.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 21:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

These morons think that they own the streets.I've seen so many of these tractors fitted with the trailers carrying sand/stones. Sometimes teens or youngsters drive these tractors,and fly over speed breakers.
On one occassion,a young guy (maybe in his 20s), tried hitting on a teen aged girl,and tried to swerve close to her. The top of the trailer missed her eye by 2-3cms.
The guy got a sound trashing from the other workers in the area.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 13:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Yit was not the swift drivers prerogative to know that the tractor will turn right, after half of his car has already overtaken the tractor.
Actually there is no right turn there. Its just that the tractor driver understanding that you need to keep on turning the steering wheel even if you want to drive straight.
Old 7th August 2007, 13:55   #11
BHPian

Default Ot

Quote:

thats the real F Up in the law about rear ending.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 21:24   #12
BHPian

I remember a tractor trailer hit a two wheeler and his leg was broken instantly...I saw this near koramangala, around 2 yrs ago...in front of my eyes...cant imagine!
gopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 23:37   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
thats the real F Up in the law about rear ending.

No, it is there to make sure that you do not tailgating other vehicles. You need good distance to stop the car to a complete halt and if you rear ended someone, it means you were not maintaining the distance hence your fault.
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote