Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 20th January 2009, 17:30   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
was there at about 4pm.
I did miss you then,since I was back home by 4. It would have been a good opportunity to try and force some more info from the poor sales guy ... btw I remember reading 4x2 on the back of that piece.
indivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 19:11   #197
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They offer lucrative export opportunities though, which is the primary motivation behind Tata's development of the Xenon. Plus, don't write off the local market just yet. Semi-urban & rural areas offer fantastic potential. Priced competitively, a basic variants of the Xenon would do just as well in these markets. Mahindra never expected their pickup trucks to be so successful at the time of launch (coupla years back). The response was astounding!

These products are extremely profitable too. They use readily available engines (from other UVs in the family), a decade old chassis design and a common parts bin. Neither do you have Jap / Korean competition in this segment. Period.
i have my doubts about tata matching the success of MM in the high end pick up sales.

MM has been successful in selling the low end maxx pick up truck, not the high end!

how many bolero campers or getaways you see on the road?

cheers:
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 19:43   #198
Senior - BHPian

Pick ups In India do not have a mass appeal except for transport needs, Scorpio Getaway is an excellent example.

Sales would be directly proportional to the on road price.

Priced & positioned properly in a commercial market Xenon can be a direct competition to Maxx Pickup or a Bolero Camper.

Tata Mobile & 207 can be seen around in decent numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i have my doubts about tata matching the success of MM in the high end pick up sales.MM has been successful in selling the low end maxx pick up truck, not the high end!how many bolero campers or getaways you see on the road?
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 19:57   #199
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Pick ups In India do not have a mass appeal except for transport needs, Scorpio Getaway is an excellent example.

Sales would be directly proportional to the on road price.

Priced & positioned properly in a commercial market Xenon can be a direct competition to Maxx Pickup or a Bolero Camper.

Tata Mobile & 207 can be seen around in decent numbers.
double cabin high end pickups are no-no in india. who would like to own a double cabin pickup to be used in day as a workhorse and a family vehicle on a weekend?

how many of the forum members do that?

cheers:
Old 20th January 2009, 22:05   #200
Senior - BHPian

You guys are comparing to different segments, here the M&M, GTO speaks about is the commercial segment , both have big share there ,M&M max,camper,etc and TATA 207DI, [both single and crewcab] the 207DI also comes with power steering and dealer fitted AC, as does M&M everthing is factory fitment.
The Xenon is replacemnt for TL4x4 [telcotline which is dated designe ] and is direct compotition to M&M getaway which has been doing decent numbers in the punjab as expected by the company.
As for market for these,the pricing is a factor. It should not be the same price as a safari, a lil cheaper and than you'll see.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 22:43   #201
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
You guys are comparing to different segments, here the M&M, GTO speaks about is the commercial segment , both have big share there ,M&M max,camper,etc and TATA 207DI, [both single and crewcab] the 207DI also comes with power steering and dealer fitted AC, as does M&M everthing is factory fitment.
The Xenon is replacemnt for TL4x4 [telcotline which is dated designe ] and is direct compotition to M&M getaway which has been doing decent numbers in the punjab as expected by the company.
As for market for these,the pricing is a factor. It should not be the same price as a safari, a lil cheaper and than you'll see.
thats what i said, xenon is in the segment of high end 4x4 double cab pick up truck and not the commercial segment!

the paintwork, interiors and the total finish of the xenon suggests that it have been made to counter MM Getaway and not the maxxi cab pikups of mm.

the price is going to be 6-7 plus for xenon! not my game to buy this just for a weekend getaway!

cheers:
Old 20th January 2009, 22:49   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mahindra never expected their pickup trucks to be so successful at the time of launch (coupla years back). The response was astounding!
But when you look at the lifestyle pickup segment to which this Xenon belongs to, Mahindra has the Gataway, which isn't particularly contributing much to the successful numbers generated by the Mahindra pickups.

Catering to the barebasic pickup requirements Tata has the 207DI which would be a difficult proposition to plug.

Simply put, in India we do not follow a lifestyle that would justify a pickup truck for the urban yuppie.

Just an open question, does the Sumo Grande and the Xenon share mechanicals, underpinnings (4x4 apart).

Last edited by 1100D : 20th January 2009 at 22:52.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 00:13   #203
BANNED

indian army could use the xenon to replace the old telcoline which was thrust upon the indian army!
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP : Tata XENON Spy Pictures EDIT: Now launched-dscn0398.jpg  

SCOOP : Tata XENON Spy Pictures EDIT: Now launched-picture20117.jpg  

Old 21st January 2009, 10:34   #204
Senior - BHPian

@Parm, those are not telcolines, they 2wheel drive 207DI. Used by UN , Indian arm forces use they for on road duties.
By the way telcoline can be bought with single cab as well.
If Tata prices the Xenon for 6-7 lacs, as they say "tumhare mu may ghee shakkar". There will be a lot of buyers, sadly looking at TATA history with these kind of vehicles ,it's going to be expansive.
These vehicles are not just for weekend use, I know people who use such vehicles for regular use as it's a necessity for work as well as people who have bought it for regular use just because they like the looks of the TL[telcoline]. I know the numbers are less but that where the uniqueness is right.

Last edited by dinar : 21st January 2009 at 10:37.
Old 21st January 2009, 15:54   #205
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
@Parm, those are not telcolines, they 2wheel drive 207DI. Used by UN , Indian arm forces use they for on road duties.
By the way telcoline can be bought with single cab as well.
If Tata prices the Xenon for 6-7 lacs, as they say "tumhare mu may ghee shakkar". There will be a lot of buyers, sadly looking at TATA history with these kind of vehicles ,it's going to be expansive.
These vehicles are not just for weekend use, I know people who use such vehicles for regular use as it's a necessity for work as well as people who have bought it for regular use just because they like the looks of the TL[telcoline]. I know the numbers are less but that where the uniqueness is right.
why would an army, let alone indian army, use 4x2 vehicles that too in africa? on top of that in an UN mission!

where as they are using MMs which are 4x4!

i dont get the point of using 4x2 vehicles by the indian army!

cheers:
Old 21st January 2009, 16:19   #206
Senior - BHPian

M&M website shows the pricing for SCORPIO GETAWAY as 7.8 and 8.8 lakhs ( ex showroom Gurgaon 2wd/4wd )

in which case it would be quite impossible for the XENON to be priced at 6-7 !! but the XENON looks far more impressive than the GETAWAY ( exterior/interior )

if the ride is decent - it could act as the second vehicle for many people. it has quite an imposing presence too
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 17:34   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
why would an army, let alone indian army, use 4x2 vehicles that too in africa? on top of that in an UN mission!

where as they are using MMs which are 4x4!

i dont get the point of using 4x2 vehicles by the indian army!

cheers:
The army uses these in India only for on road use , like marketing in local markets, and carrying stuff from point A to point B, thats it. These is done as they are cheaper than any 4x4 machine available in India.and again everything depends on the discussion makers,you know what I mean.
As for UN forces using these is still a mystery. May be same reason usually these are deployed only in city areas, peace keeping mission.Not the actual peace making mission.
Old 21st January 2009, 19:50   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
M&M website shows the pricing for SCORPIO GETAWAY as 7.8 and 8.8 lakhs ( ex showroom Gurgaon 2wd/4wd )

in which case it would be quite impossible for the XENON to be priced at 6-7 !! but the XENON looks far more impressive than the GETAWAY ( exterior/interior )

if the ride is decent - it could act as the second vehicle for many people. it has quite an imposing presence too
If you ask me M&M probably has a very high mark up on the Getaway due to limited volumes. The Xenon shares 90 percent of parts with the Sumo grande. They should be able to price it in the same range as the Sumo grande which I think is fairly good.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 08:49   #209
Senior - BHPian

maybe they are positioning the Xenon to fill the gap of the Sumo 4x4.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2009, 15:33   #210
BHPian

I know one thing if the Xenon is priced right (around or less than 7 lacs..which I think is a steep task), it will be a rocking success in Punjab.

I have seen so many mahindra pickups here (Punjab) redesigned to look like the trucks they have in the US (exhaust pipe are redesigned and are held in a vertical position just behind the cabin, these pickups are equipped with the latest and most garish alloys etc)

The local tata dealer in Jalandhar already has an under wraps Xenon already parked in its premises. The vehicle gets a lot of querries due to its large size. I was a regular visitor to this dealership last month, and most often than not I always found a curious collection of onlookers looking at the vehicle and guessing as to what kind of animal it is. Remmember a particulary filthy rich young NRI, willing to offer double the asked price to get hold of this vehicle!
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote