Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 26th February 2009, 16:31   #301
Team-BHP Support

The Xenon looks really good. Ofcourse, they have been a bit conservative at places, but some sprucing up, and this vehicle will surely look awesome and the object of everyone's envy.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 16:38   #302
BHPian

The picture in the paper this morning really got me going, the pick up looks great, but i fear they would have inferior quality plastics inside. the drive train though is from the safari, 2.2 dicor. i hear the 4X4 variant costs nearly 9 lakh, thats a little too much for a pick up in India. what do you guys think?
sharanramesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 16:47   #303
Senior - BHPian

The one bit that I think they've goofed up on is not providing ABS & Airbags. Lifestyle vehicle & all that - should have had at least ABS with EBD.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 16:55   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
The one bit that I think they've goofed up on is not providing ABS & Airbags. Lifestyle vehicle & all that - should have had at least ABS with EBD.
I think they made up for that by adding enough metal up front and behind just in case the brakes dont work well

how will be ride quality ? if it will be as good as Safari - i will buy this XENON thing - after the recession is over and job security is restored !
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 16:58   #305
Team-BHP Support

Ride quality will be much worse than safari unloaded, and somewhat worse than safari fully loaded. Remember this is a load carrier, and even though spec says 250kgs loading ability(I think this is to keep it classified as personal and not taxi vehicle), TL 4x4 could take loads of 500kgs without hiccup.
So it has leaf springs at the rear, so expect quite a bouncy ride.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 17:01   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
how will be ride quality ? if it will be as good as Safari - i will buy this XENON thing - after the recession is over and job security is restored !
I seriously doubt the ride quality will be anywhere near the Safari, particularly the second row. Lets do a TD one of these weekends, shall we? Question is - which dealer? Will ABS Motors be selling the Xenon? Khaadu already checked with Autolinks & they are not going to be selling it........
Old 26th February 2009, 17:13   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
You might find it easier to drive bigger vehicles in city traffic - you actually find people making room for you.
I had the same misgiving when moving to Optra from Zen. To my relief, I found it was ok and in some cases even easier. With the imposing stance of Xenon, people will actually give way.
RoadFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 17:52   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I seriously doubt the ride quality will be anywhere near the Safari, particularly the second row. Lets do a TD one of these weekends, shall we? Question is - which dealer? Will ABS Motors be selling the Xenon? Khaadu already checked with Autolinks & they are not going to be selling it........
Lets do Sir - except this weekend. we can do a test like it was done in a Top Gear program where we drive with a bowl of water on the lap..

we can do back to back with TL and Safari and see which one "wets the pants" more
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 17:55   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lets do Sir - except this weekend. we can do a test like it was done in a Top Gear program where we drive with a bowl of water on the lap..

we can do back to back with TL and Safari and see which one "wets the pants" more
Nah, too tame! Lets take it to MG Road and rip it between Chattarpur & Ghitorni, flat out - see which causes more head-banging in the 2nd row
Old 26th February 2009, 17:57   #310
Senior - BHPian

question, who is going to sell it ? tata passenger car dealers or commercial dealers ?
the 207 used to be sold by commercial dealers, but i think this may be sold by passenger car dealers
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 18:15   #311
Senior - BHPian

This IS sold by the Passenger Car division.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 21:02   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I think tata offshored the testing to south africans and thais
I was launched in the International markets about a year ago so Tata must have gotten some feed back from there since they have much more heavier competition from Toyota, Isuzu and Ford in these markets.

"The Xenon carries a warranty of two years or 75,000 km and will be retailed through 58 Tata passenger car dealerships across 39 cities. About 6,000 units of Xenon have been sold in Thailand, Algeria, Italy, Poland, Saudi Arabia and South Africa." Quoting from the Business week article.

From the Autobiz article:

TATA is quickly adjusting the quality of its suppliers and production crew, and is planning to sell as many as 300 units of the Xenon CNG pickup truck per month.

Abichet Sitakalin, sales director of TATA Motors (Thailand) Co. Ltd., said that the previously Xenon sales did not reach 100 units per month due to the parts quality improvement as well as adjustment of the production line at the Thonburi Automotive Assembly Plant in Samrong.

“In the past the plant was able to produce just 100 units of the Xenon per month due to those problems, but from early 2009 onwards, production will be no less than 300 units per month. This will help TATA increase sales significantly since previously we were not able to supply dealers with the products they need. We expect that if we can produce 500 units per month, we can sell all of them easily,” Abichet said.

“This is the problem we are facing for producing a new model, and I admit that customers may not be happy with the quality of the product, so we need to make improvements. But improvements need time and we have talked to our suppliers and try to speed up the process in raising the production standard. Everything is improving, and we will be able to see it clearly next year,” he added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The website TATA Xenon
Its available in 3.0L too.
Only in International markets. That is the global website. The Indian website only has the 2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Something 5 door based on Xenon would have been a good offering...
i tried on paint, something like this....
This is sweet. Hope this is inspiration for the next gen Safari which I think should be around the corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthym View Post
Whats the personalization kit mentioned in the advert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I am not writing this to demotivate this thread, I wish they had made the load bay a little shorter...a MWB Xenon would have been superb. Ah, but wishlists are just that...wishlists!
Unfortunately in the Indian market buying any vehicle is a compromise. Wish we had the choices available in some European and American markets where pick ups come in multiple bed lengths..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
^ Pick up with single cab & still lower price
I would like that.
Say in the 4 Lakh rupee range.
4 Lakhs !!. No in this lifetime buddy. The cheap rudimentary pick up from Tata and Mahindra cost more than that. No way you will get a Xenon for that money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanramesh View Post
I hear the 4X4 variant costs nearly 9 lakh, thats a little too much for a pick up in India. what do you guys think?
This is not a mass market vehicle, The pricing is a tad bit on the higher side, but not too shocking. The premium of about 70,000 for the 4x4 version over the 2WD version is reasonable.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Ride quality will be much worse than safari unloaded, and somewhat worse than safari fully loaded. Remember this is a load carrier, and even though spec says 250kgs loading ability(I think this is to keep it classified as personal and not taxi vehicle), TL 4x4 could take loads of 500kgs without hiccup.
So it has leaf springs at the rear, so expect quite a bouncy ride.
I agree with this. The pick up has actually been made for a much higher load spec. I believe the single cab is rated for slightly over a ton in international markets and the double cab slightly less than a ton. The *official* payload was lowered to classify it as a personal vehicle.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 26th February 2009 at 21:12.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 21:23   #313
BHPian

IMO, the skewed rear window looks horrible, a flat rear window would have been awesome a la TL, estate or any of its earlier models.

Also, figured out that this is available in 2.2L Dicor as well as 3.0L Dicor.

The 2.2L specs and lesser weight is impressive giving an impressive power-to-weight ratio, but the 3.0L has been around for long is reliable and is no slouch either. My vote goes for the 2.2 Dicor.

Last edited by man23ish : 26th February 2009 at 21:25.
man23ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 22:51   #314
BHPian

I think Rear of the Thai Version is better designed than the Indian version.also Chrome front grill is also good looking.
Attached Images

tushky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 23:45   #315
Senior - BHPian

An interesting proposition to make to Tata motors.

The Canopy, in the personalisation package gives this idea. Is the rear wall of the Cabin removable. Why I ask is, a little variation in the package might allow addition of third row seats and still have luggage space behind it. Add a little tilt mechanism in the rear seats to allow ingress into the third row. Have an option of a split AC arrangement to cool the extra area. Something that a person like me is looking for and do not have 20-lakhs to spend on such a car.

This although is a good contender for the Autocar Hearse of the Year 2010. Go out in style (sorry lifestyle...er Style after life)
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote