Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 28th February 2009, 22:32   #331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
We've had our share of leaf v/s coil exchanges and you only need to sit in the rear seat of your brother's Endy to know what it does.

Has anyone here owned the TL (last version, not the Tatamobile) and provide us with some feedback on the 'ride' at the rear?

nikki sat in the Xenon at Concorde and says the rear seat is very spacious, no compromises there. However the car is yet to get the roadworthiness certificate from the Kerala RTO (why does each state have to declare a vehicle roadworthy when the ARAI does it?) so no test drives at the moment.
I have traveled in the TL [one of my friend owns], the ride is fine till you stick to smooth roads and highways with NO potholes, anything other than that and you will get a full body massage, and not the relaxing type.
The rear leafs and the NO weight over the rear axle when unloaded makes the vehicle bouncy, but it's fine when it is loaded even with 150-200 KG load in the bed [not the cab].
Do not compare this vehicle to safari or any vehicle with coil spring suspension, try loading these vehicles with the load capacity of the TL and you'll rather want to be in the TL than the safari.
BY the way each stats transport has it's own set of rules such as the 207DI is sold in most states as commercial vehicle but some states like punjab,some parts of karnataka it can be registered as privet.and than there are set of fees [you know what kind]for certifying a vehicle, and so every state has to provide this for it to be sold there, in fact every new vehicle sold by the dealer has to be inspected before it in delivered to the client, it called RTO inspection [only papers are signed ad the vehicles are rarely inspected].
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 01:00   #332
Senior - BHPian

The Xenon looks cool in pics, but i have a friend in SA who was telling me that the ride quality is uneven.I'm waiting for a test drive report. This car does have the potential to change the way Indians travel for recreation, sport and for utility. The Mahindra 'Getaway' is a big mistake and should getaway fast. Atleast the Xenon is a proportioned design.
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 03:59   #333

Hello guys, below is a true incident!

One fine morning, I see this cool Ad of TATA Xenon in Times! Awesome! What a vehicle finally! are the words that I blurted out immediately even before I read those "The strong silent type. The ladies man. The Eligible bachelor" and all that, after which I was floating above the ground day dreaming driving one in front of a local girls college with a 'ding-chik, ding-chik' music and all the girls 'Oooo' ing! Truly amazing design with all that roof mount auxiliary lights, macho looks and everything! Hmmm... Lifestyle!

As a prospective customer about to buy a 'Lifestyle' vehicle, an SUV, I take my right to express my views here!

Let's assume the rear has a 5 link suspension as well. Or else I wont be buying! Alright, let me change my mind for the time being!

I would expect a good number of accessories and equipments built into it readily, like may be a provision to mount a winch, an optional snorkel, an emergency assistance kit with flashlight, jumper cables, etc..., sport aluminum pedals, a tow hook/ hitch, a decent ICE with Blu&Me, an IPod interface, an AC outlet (to charge my SLR, mobiles, laptops, coffee maker, lighting) etc... C'mon guys I am shelling out 9.5 lakh Indian rupees hard (self) earned money!!! and I am still a bachelor (meaning I still have lots of aspirations and hopes in life!), you see things need to be in place! More over these things dont cost much as the vehicle is already priced high. Ok guys, I give up sun window (it would have been really such rewarding as girls like sun window so much)!

Does this have a skid plate and all? I mean a functional one! Ok, there is a LSD and a 4X4.
Does this vehicle really work?? I mean the Offroad way? Let's benchmark it then!

What other similar vehicles do we have at a slightly cheaper and a slightly higher segments... The Mahindras, the Safaris, the Tempo Trax ofcourse (definitely not a lifestyle vehicle), the CRV, then the Endeavor (now we can forget everything else)!!

Well, how much does a used Endeavor cost? May be same price or say a lakh rupee here and there! I can actually afford to fully sacrifice some of the other things to have a 'lifestyle' (less of family commitments, so!)!!

Now I am confused! Is it really worth going for a used Endeavor than buying a brand new homegrown product, from our own Tata (with lot of respect! I already possess a Sierra Turbo)?

IS IT REALLY THAT WORTH??

May be I may have booked if it was not more than 6.5L as it does not have any of the 'lifestyle' things that I have mentioned above. I will continue to preserve and maintain my little Sierra for the time being!

Below is a rework on the Xenon, Canopy version personally the way I would prefer it to be! It should have all the access to that HUGE bedroom at the rear from inside the cabin itself (yes, the middle row seats should be foldable ofcourse)! Otherwise also, it is more secure to carry valuable things, trekking gear, tents, like that or may be even enjoy an excellent ICE fitted at the rear! What say guys?!
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP : Tata XENON Spy Pictures EDIT: Now launched-xenoncanopy.jpg  

SCOOP : Tata XENON Spy Pictures EDIT: Now launched-copy-xenoncanopymodified.jpg  

subache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 07:19   #334
Senior - BHPian

It's pick up guys, the main requirement of a pick up is carrying load, even if it's meant for recreation, and by the way this is a commercial vehicle [sold elsewhere] Tata only launched it here with the lifestyle tag.
People who buy this will want to use the load carrying capability of this vehicle sometime.
Old 1st March 2009, 09:23   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
The rear leafs and the NO weight over the rear axle when unloaded makes the vehicle bouncy, but it's fine when it is loaded even with 150-200 KG load in the bed [not the cab].
Which brings it closer to the Safari's kerb-weight. So whats the point really, I wonder?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 11:34   #336
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Which brings it closer to the Safari's kerb-weight. So whats the point really, I wonder?
For one- its cheaper.
secondly- if there are no passengers in the rear, ditch the sandbags and rip away!
Third- I'm expecting it to handle better (fingers crossed)
Fourth- looks coooooool
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 11:45   #337
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Fourth- looks coooooool
Yes, it does.

Long back in my younger days, I decided to go for a Tatamobile 207 singlecab version (after seeing a private registered Andhra Pradesh one) as it was cheap ten (less than 3 lakh) hoping to make it an air conditioned passenger vehicle.

Bought it, could register only as commercial vehicle dashing my hopes and then sold it for a small loss.

I have never come close to the timing I set on that vehicle, 35 minutes between my house and the Aroor toll gate on any other vehicle, with only me in the vehicle.

Th handling was not bad at all. Ride, what ride? You culd even feel the smallest grain of sand!
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 12:08   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
For one- its cheaper.
secondly- if there are no passengers in the rear, ditch the sandbags and rip away!
Third- I'm expecting it to handle better (fingers crossed)
We'll find out soon enough - khaadu is TD-ing it this evening.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 18:51   #339
Senior - BHPian

This Tata vehicle is a major breakthrough for us Indians. For decades Tata has used us as their guinea pigs, find out and resolve the faults and than take them overseas. Now for once the tables have turned, The Thais have to swallow the bitter pill and we can benefit from it. So hopefully the Xenon launched in India will have all the improvisations carried out for the Thai model.
I saw the interior pics of the Xenon from an SA car website. Can this be the new dash for the Sumo Grande, cos the present one has worser fit and finish than the first Indica.
shortbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 21:26   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I said it's a pick up ,You can not haul the kind of loads this one can carry,in the safari, If your looking at a softer suspension, get the safari setup after the warranty is over.
There was a Tatamobile [the older one not TL] converted by a friend with setup from sierra, it worked well when unloaded but load carrying capability was compromised.
I do not know how many will buy this for just recreation , I am looking at it as I need this type of vehicle ,where I get some comfort with load carrying capability, with privet plates.
And it can be driven to the disco too.
The only problem with this is PRICE of the vehicle.

Last edited by dinar : 1st March 2009 at 21:43.
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:12   #341
Senior - BHPian

I have driven the old TL 4X4 extensively.
The ride with 4 sacks of sand was not bad at all. However the chaps at the rear seat complained quite frequently that their heads were hitting the roof. The handling was very decent.
The pick up was abysmal though the gearing made the torque very usable. It was great fun on the beach side where it never got stuck at all.
Its really cool off road and never got stuck. On the highways it was a right toyal pain and was given to the driver!!!!
A few pics. The Xenon will overcome these shortcomings, I hope.
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP : Tata XENON Spy Pictures EDIT: Now launched-dsc03573.jpg  

SCOOP : Tata XENON Spy Pictures EDIT: Now launched-dsc03574.jpg  

SCOOP : Tata XENON Spy Pictures EDIT: Now launched-dsc03576.jpg  

jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:58   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
I have driven the old TL 4X4 extensively.
The ride with 4 sacks of sand was not bad at all. However the chaps at the rear seat complained quite frequently that their heads were hitting the roof. The handling was very decent.
The pick up was abysmal though the gearing made the torque very usable. It was great fun on the beach side where it never got stuck at all.
Its really cool off road and never got stuck. On the highways it was a right toyal pain and was given to the driver!!!!
A few pics. The Xenon will overcome these shortcomings, I hope.
250 kilos is the rated loading bay capacity right? Which means our people will load double that! so a scene like all those kids standing on the loading bay can never be ruled out!
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:58   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
250 kilos is the rated loading bay capacity right? Which means our people will load double that! so a scene like all those kids standing on the loading bay can never be ruled out!

250 Kgs is just for the RTO/ARAI specifications. Mechanically the Xenon's are rated for a ton. You will see this in the international specifications.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 18:56   #344
BHPian

Why is Xenon details are not available on Tata's website? any links?
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 22:52   #345
Senior - BHPian

The website is here.
Don't know why they have not added the link to their main website!

Last edited by safari_lover : 2nd March 2009 at 22:54.
safari_lover is offline   Reply With Quote