Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 13th May 2008, 23:46   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Such a smart move! Advantages all around - for the Railways in terms of revenue, for the truckers in terms of distance saving and lesser traffic on road!

But bad for check post policeman! No more bribe! :-)

Correctly summarised
bharatbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 23:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Pics

I was surprised when I reached Madgaon station - the truck was on the platform. Or so I thought.

Then, a closer look revealed this:-

Trucks on a Train-photo0187.jpg

I remembered this thread, so here is another:-

Trucks on a Train-photo0189.jpg

And then I realised that somebody is going to pop the question:- "How do they ensure that the trucks do not roll around / out of the train?". Here are your answers.

Trucks on a Train-photo0190.jpg

Another:-

Trucks on a Train-photo0192.jpg

2 kids and baggage is not the exactly kind of accessories which make shooting pics an easy task; so please bear with me.

I am not sure about the pic quality - it is from a mobile; sun was bright, and it was difficult to make out what is displayed on the screen.

BTW, it does seem that Konkan Railway is making plenty of money on these - I saw at least 2 rakes (trains).
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 16:47   #33
BHPian

Trucks on Konkan Railway

Trucks actually on tracks, Kashmir rail

Name:  trucksretrofittedwithrailwheels.jpg
Views: 2274
Size:  71.6 KB

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th October 2013 at 10:07. Reason: Back to back posts.
YanTra Makto is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 23:34   #34
BHPian

Default Re: Automotive innovations and some unique modes of transport from the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanTra Makto View Post
Trucks actually on tracks, Kashmir rail
Is this legally used by the railway guys? Btw, the concept of trucks loaded on the Konkan railway is indeed interesting. I am wondering will there be a day where we can book our cars on the same train as we travel? If that comes in we can haul our cars on long trips (overnight or even 24hr journey) and then drive out to the destination. So a door to door journey without any hassle. In fact if we can sit in the car itself for the journey it would be plain amazing!
srinih75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 03:10   #35
BHPian

Default Re: Automotive innovations and some unique modes of transport from the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinih75 View Post
Is this legally used by the railway guys?
I really did not understand the legality angle. While building kashmir rail, unlike other places, there were many a regions where there were no roads to take raw materials to the construction site or excavated material to the dumping sites. This happens many a times during railway constructions, but generally you have the rail engine / bogies to do the work. But with the Kashmir railway being isolated (rail network wise), the railways innovated and came up with these kinds of ideas ! More on similar lines

Quote:
Every well equiped railway needs an ambulance coach. This is the Dehri Rhotas Railway's version powered by a converted jeep. How do they turn the jeep at the destination? Easy, they insert a jack under the centre and spin it round - which is fine unless it falls off part way round - which it did on our visit!. Dehri on Sone, 1980 [Photo by Mick Pope]

Quote:
Btw, the concept of trucks loaded on the Konkan railway is indeed interesting.

Well, konkan was the first competitive commercial model of funding followed for railway infrastructure development in the country. (similar funding model was later adopted for Delhi metro). So they had to think about the economics too, they knew that to capture the full market potential, they can not built inrails as opposed to inroads, so instead of competing with road they decided to become facilitator for road, and thus all major loading unloading points have ramps / facilities where these smaller trucks can just drive up / down the open rail trailers and then continue with the door to door service.
YanTra Makto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 22:04   #36
BHPian

Default Re: Trucks on a Train

I am waiting for the day when the railways will allow us to lease a coach for like n years, where we can customize it and keep it in their yard and as and when we want get it attached to the train we need and travel in style. The coach can have a mini cargo hold enough to carry our small cars and rest of it a 1 or 2 BR + bath. No need of kitchen as we can rely on the pantry. Not sure if this can be achieved!
srinih75 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 10:39   #37
BHPian

I never know there is a separate thread for 'trucks on train'
I was lucky to saw the trucks transporting on the train in Konkan railways when we were returning from Goa in August 2013. The photos were clicked somewhere after Ankola and just before the turn-off to Gokarna.
Trucks on a Train-dsc08261.jpg
Trucks on a Train-dsc08262.jpg
Trucks on a Train-dsc08263.jpg
Trucks on a Train-dsc08264.jpg
Trucks on a Train-dsc08265.jpg
Trucks on a Train-dsc08266.jpg
Trucks on a Train-dsc08267.jpg
denver85 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 13:00   #38
BHPian

I find it illogical to transport loaded trucks on trains. I mean, doesn't it make more sense to load the goods onto train directly instead? The goods can then be unloaded to trucks in the destination and moved on. More goods can be accomodated onto train wagons than heaving trucks onto them.
I can understand if they are transporting new trucks/vehicles to other destinations but this just does not make sense. BTW, the pics look good.
sukhoi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 13:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
I mean, doesn't it make more sense to load the goods onto train directly instead?
Sure it does but that is not what we are looking at. This service, offered only by Konkan Railway Corporation is to ferry these trucks between the two ends of the KR section which I believe is a good 800km. The roll on roll off (ro ro) service, as KR calls it is an end to end service. You can't off load in between. Those trucks will take a good two days (or more) to cover the distance whereas the ro ro service will be done with in about 18 hours maximum. You are also looking at a tremendous cost saving for the truck company. They save fuel, tire and mechanical wear, time and a massive reduction in potential breakdown. One 4500 horse power diesel engine hauling 40 loaded trucks in one trip. The ro ro service is also a fast one and KR treats it with priority as far as freight movement is concerned.

A train can't reach the absolute end point the truck can. The purpose of this service is to save time and money on the 800km.
sandeepmohan is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 14:03   #40
BHPian

Does any body know, how many litres of diesel is consumed by this one 4500 HP loco ? Is it less than the diesel that would be burned if these 40 trucks were to ply by the road ?
Dieseltuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 14:12   #41
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

If one understand the terrain on the Konkan route with numerous ghat sections and dangers during monsoons, one will agree that this is a win win for both the KRC and the truck owners

More details can be seen here

http://www.konkanrailway.com/node/298
Quote:
Benefits of RORO services : -

RORO services save precious fuel for the nation.
Speed of Ro-Ro train is fast enough as compared to movement by Road
Terminal time of loading/unloading is just 15 to 20 minutes in Ro-Ro.
Better turnaround of trucks.
No risk of accidents
No wear and tear of trucks
Less pollution as trucks are not plying on the roads.
Tariff is competitive to sustain the market forces.
No hassle of octroi, toll etc.
No detentions at terminals
No paper work

and wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konkan_Railway_Corporation

Quote:
In the last 13 years, Konkan Railway has carried 2,54,731 trucks at an average of 22,000 trucks per year. Konkan Railway currently runs five rakes of service between Kolad-Verna, Kolad-Surathkal and Ankola-Surathkal. They are now building the sixth rake which can take bigger trucks with tandem axle
Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 14:45   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Doesn't it make more sense to load the goods onto train directly instead?
Yes it does, but imagine a scenario where a truck has to travel from point A to point D and it needs to do this via points B & C. It makes complete sense to transport the entire truck between points B & C rather than to unload them at B and then load them again at C. This is exactly what Konkan Railways is doing.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 15:21   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Does any body know, how many litres of diesel is consumed by this one 4500 HP loco ? Is it less than the diesel that would be burned if these 40 trucks were to ply by the road ?
On a foot plate over five years ago, a 3100hp mixed purpose alco diesel consumed about 1200liters for approx 170 km. We were hauling a 40 wagon fully loaded consist from Dharmavarm towards Bangalore and it is one nasty climb for a loaded freight.

The 4000Hp two stroke GM diesel (classified WDG4), which is the one hauling the RO RO is a couple of posts above, is about 5% more fuel efficient than the four stroke Alco (classified WDG3A) version.

I am not sure what each of those trucks consume when loaded. I am lousy at math too so won't answer your last question. I am guessing one of those double axles give about 2-3kmpl.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 17:09   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
A WDG4 loco (the type that's used for RORO) gives about 0.15km/L - for the 800km journey, it burns about 5400 Litres of diesel. Since the route has many gradients, let's bump it up to 6000 Litres to consider the additional load.

A loaded 25 tonner gives about 4 km/L, and for the 800km, it needs 200 Litres of diesel. If there are 40 such trucks, then the consumption comes to 8000 Litres.

The difference is there for you to see

I guess the fuel oil used by locos is not the same as HSD used by trucks. It's cheaper that way too

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
On a foot plate over five years ago, a 3100hp mixed purpose alco diesel consumed about 1200liters for approx 170 km. We were hauling a 40 wagon fully loaded consist from Dharmavarm towards Bangalore and it is one nasty climb for a loaded freight.

The 4000Hp two stroke GM diesel (classified WDG4), which is the one hauling the RO RO is a couple of posts above, is about 5% more fuel efficient than the four stroke Alco (classified WDG3A) version.
Sandeep, isn't the WDG4 15-20% more fuel efficient than the WDG3A? I'd used some rough figures in the calculation above, please correct them if my estimates are way off.

Last edited by silversteed : 6th November 2013 at 17:15.
silversteed is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 19:17   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
A WDG4 loco (the type that's used for RORO) gives about 0.15km/L - for the 800km journey, it burns about 5400 Litres of diesel. Since the route has many gradients, let's bump it up to 6000 Litres to consider the additional load.

A loaded 25 tonner gives about 4 km/L, and for the 800km, it needs 200 Litres of diesel. If there are 40 such trucks, then the consumption comes to 8000 Litres.

The difference is there for you to see
First of all , I never knew that such service ever existed and this thread definitely had me glued when I was reading (thanks to all those wonderful pics posted by all) and I found it very interesting and practical when reading.The above calculation definitely shows how economical and Eco-friendly this mode of transportation is.

No wonder its proven again that if run in a proper manner public transport is the best .
pdma is offline   Reply With Quote