Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 8th February 2010, 11:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Got this in google search. Is this the one being discussed?
Attachment 283472
Nopes, that's not a super deluxe bus. It's a normal Karnataka Sarige bus.
The image of super deluxe bus is/was as similar to what greenhorn has mentioned
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 11:33   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
further off topic. Dad recalls the story about an even 'faster' KeSRTC Lightning express which was introduced, and had a puncture on the first day. Kind of became a laughing stock, and was discontinued shortly afterwards
There was lightning express service from trivandrum to palakkad and muvattupuzha till 5 years back.That was fast!! The driver (especially of the muvattupuzha one via mc road) threw it around the curves. I loved the ride in it
Soccerfan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 12:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quieta few responses there but we are yet to discover the pics of "KSRTC Super Delux"
also "Suvehara" used to be written in kannada.

agree with nbr those days camera was luxury...

back then we used to have these buses ply only during the nights, during the day time ne could see these buses parked in the bus stand(Udupi)

Last edited by lohithrao : 8th February 2010 at 12:50.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 12:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

The KSRTC SD" buses were very good looking or i can well finished buses, certainly had nothing similar to hat image posted by "greenhorn", just that the "super delux" is similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Nopes, that's not a super deluxe bus. It's a normal Karnataka Sarige bus.
The image of super deluxe bus is/was as similar to what greenhorn has mentioned
Old 8th February 2010, 13:05   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
further off topic. Dad recalls the story about an even 'faster' KeSRTC Lightning express which was introduced, and had a puncture on the first day. Kind of became a laughing stock, and was discontinued shortly afterwards
Even further off-topic.
There was a Terra Plane service by KeSRTC.

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 22:59   #21
BHPian

Default KeSRTC

Yes "Terra Plane" was there in the late 1970s . Too young to travel at that time, but I think the route was Trivandrum -Ernakulam.

The "Liightning Express" was I think introduced around 1992. I was a regular on it from Ernakulam to Trivandrum on Friday evenings during that time. It was inititally upto EKM and used to leave EKM around 1630 and supposed to take 4 hours non stop. Not too bad with respect to timings and used to reach around 9PM atleast. Big nuisance was that they did not have a scheduled stop at Ulloor on the outskirts as every other bus used to do and the drivers were usually scared to stop as it was a "blue chip" service!!! Later on the service was extended to Trichur.
TKMCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 10:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
The "Liightning Express" was I think introduced around 1992. I was a regular on it from Ernakulam to Trivandrum on Friday evenings during that time. It was inititally upto EKM and used to leave EKM around 1630 and supposed to take 4 hours non stop. Not too bad with respect to timings and used to reach around 9PM atleast. Big nuisance was that they did not have a scheduled stop at Ulloor on the outskirts as every other bus used to do and the drivers were usually scared to stop as it was a "blue chip" service!!! Later on the service was extended to Trichur.
This service was later extended to Palakkad. I remember seeing a distinctly coloured blue-while bus with menacing grilles heading to Palakkad. This bus used to leave Thrissur around 1130 or so.

It is this service that later got converted to the Volvo service, and is presently served by a TATA Globus. The timings remain the same.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 10:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

And those super deluxe buses used to ply from Blore to Mumbai in those days of single lane highways and yet be full of bookings. I remember having ogled at them many times at the KSRTC bus stand and imagined myself to be travelling in one of them. Would love to see pics posted by anyone.
Really miss them.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 10:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

am waiting tooo

During summer vacation traveling to Udupi in these buses was one of most awaited activity every year.
Used to go crazy looking at the line of buses parked at Majestic bus top..

in 94-95 i saw some old buses been inducted in "BTS" and later many buses were converted to "red/shuttle" as they got old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
And those super deluxe buses used to ply from Blore to Mumbai in those days of single lane highways and yet be full of bookings. I remember having ogled at them many times at the KSRTC bus stand and imagined myself to be travelling in one of them. Would love to see pics posted by anyone.
Really miss them.
Old 9th February 2010, 10:43   #25
BHPian

When I was a kid, I used to visit my grandparents in kerala during my vacation time, something which evoke laughter in me everytime I see
Attached Images

Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 11:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
The KSRTC SD" buses were very good looking or i can well finished buses, certainly had nothing similar to hat image posted by "greenhorn", just that the "super delux" is similar
Agree, but if you check the window glass, it was almost similar. But definetely not the front portion of the bus.
Old 9th February 2010, 11:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree, but if you check the window glass, it was almost similar. But definetely not the front portion of the bus.
Those days the windows were of that style, but the overall look/finish was too good in these buses. the bus in the picture looks $@#$%% in front of it
Old 9th February 2010, 11:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Also not to forget the exhaust note those Ashok leyland buses used to produce.
I always used to make sure, I sit in the seat above where the silencer was.
That was music to ears
Old 9th February 2010, 12:24   #29
BHPian

Hey Guys!

I am very happy that there are more people like me, who are (rather were) crazy about KSRTC buses.

I really want to share my real childhood passion! KSRTC buses.

1. I used to envy people travelling in TATA buses at the Majestic KSRTC bus-stand, because TATA buses were used for long distance and loved long distance travel (Then , long distance was "Bangalore-Hubli")

2. These TATA buses used to keep the front grill open to keep the Engine cool .. Do u guys remember this ??

3. I just LOVED the lights which used to be fitted at 4 corners on the top surface of the bus (cone shaped lights)

4. Wrt the old Super Deluxe buses, they were indeed Pista green and white. And do u remember the Chrome finished metal strip all the way from one end of the bus to the other on both sides?

5. On the foldable entrance door of the super delux, there used to be black tint and a Beautiful dancing woman's stickering

6. The drivers used to reach higher RPM just to get that brilliant Leyland exhaust music at the end of the throttle.... loved it!

I am getting all excited now .. with this topic Lohith

7. There used to be another type of bus called "Semi-Luxury" Blue and white coloured buses.
I had taken one from Bangalore to Mantralaya...

8. Only Super Delux buses used to have Curtains at the rear glass....

Man, this is all very nostalgic!

Will search for the snaps...

Thanks
Pramod
pramod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 12:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

oh yea, we can call it a roar!

through the city while the bus passes one could hear the deep roar and when on the hiway it used to be lovely with the loud roar.

Quote:
Also not to forget the exhaust note those Ashok leyland buses used to produce.
I always used to make sure, I sit in the seat above where the silencer was.
That was music to ears
Pramod thanks for adding more important points ....

Color i think it used to be "ooff white and Pista green"

Yea the chrome used to add to the beauty.

Artwork on the inside door, that was a very nice job.

Also the drivers used to showoff quiet a lot, as there were not many of these buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Hey Guys!

I am very happy that there are more people like me, who are (rather were) crazy about KSRTC buses.

I really want to share my real childhood passion! KSRTC buses.

7. There used to be another type of bus called "Semi-Luxury" Blue and white coloured buses.
I had taken one from Bangalore to Mantralaya...

8. Only Super Delux buses used to have Curtains at the rear glass....

Man, this is all very nostalgic!

Will search for the snaps...

Thanks
Pramod
Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th February 2010 at 12:56. Reason: Please read the note in post, thanks