Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2010, 05:44   #211
Senior - BHPian
 
TheARUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,272
Thanked: 492 Times
Default Setting the cat among the pigeons

If the news that the B12B is coming is really true, then we are in for a big treat. The B12B is the next thing after the B7, its like 12 to 15 metre long, and is available in a variety of body styles, 6 to be precise. Got a few here just to give you a heads up on what to expect
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo Launches B9R Coach : 9400 6x2-caetano20transfar20in20lagos20algarve2021050720gavin20francis.jpg  

Volvo Launches B9R Coach : 9400 6x2-resize20of20jonck_0647.jpg  

Attached Images
   
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 00:04   #212
Senior - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,092
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default

wondering how the second rear axle has singles as its powering the bus.
Same way with MB O 500 RSD 2456 from MB.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 01:50   #213
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

Pretty sure the 2nd axle is dead. The propshaft goes over the dead axle and powers the 1st rear.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 02:54   #214
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: TReg : Glasgow, PReg : KL-5
Posts: 105
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Volvo could possibly bring the B12R with a D12D engines(single deck coach) over a B12B with a D12HE horizontal engine, as they have a tradition of bringing vertical mounted rear engines to India.

@ Ashley2: for a volvo B12R- front-7.5 gvw,rear-12gvw,3rd-5.3(might be similar on B9R)
second rear axles(1tyre on each end) are not powering the bus its the 1st rear axle (2tyres on each end) thats powered.
2nd axle is steerable if the owner wants ESP(Electronic Stability Program) on his/her bus.
Otherwise its a dead axle or may be an independent suspension(doubtful).
Here in the UK B7R,B9R and B12R/B12B/B12M are available with 2 axles. B9R and B12R/B12B/B12M is available also as 3 axle.

I think its a MB O500 RSD 2436: 24Tonnes 360bhp, OM 457 LA 12litre engine with detuned configuration.
Even the powered axle in the MB bus is the first rear axle(one tyre on each end but wider compared to normal). second axle is a retractable type(not sure about the indian version).

@Arun: All the above bodyworks are from independent builders. Volvo tour coaches currently comes with only 3 types of body work from their factory.Thats 9400,9700 and 9900.
9400 bodywork is available only in india. In europe its 9700 or 9900 at owners discretion.

The first coach is from Portugese bodybuilder Salvador Caetano with Levante bodywork.
The second coach is from VDL with Jonckheere SH(super high) bodywork.Jonckheere is belgian company.
The third coach is from VDL with Berkhof Axial Bodywork. Berkhof and VDL is dutch.
The fourth coach is from British coach bilder Plaxton and its called Elite. They come as 12.6m and 14m coaches.
The last one is from Spanish builder Sunsundegui. The coach model is called Sideral 2000.

Last edited by conjon : 1st April 2010 at 03:03.
conjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 06:23   #215
Senior - BHPian
 
TheARUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,272
Thanked: 492 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjon View Post
@Arun: All the above bodyworks are from independent builders. Volvo tour coaches currently comes with only 3 types of body work from their factory.Thats 9400,9700 and 9900.
9400 bodywork is available only in india. In europe its 9700 or 9900 at owners discretion.

The first coach is from Portugese bodybuilder Salvador Caetano with Levante bodywork.
The second coach is from VDL with Jonckheere SH(super high) bodywork.Jonckheere is belgian company.
The third coach is from VDL with Berkhof Axial Bodywork. Berkhof and VDL is dutch.
The fourth coach is from British coach bilder Plaxton and its called Elite. They come as 12.6m and 14m coaches.
The last one is from Spanish builder Sunsundegui. The coach model is called Sideral 2000.
Thank you for the education

I think I went overboard with excitement. Was so thrilled that altast VOLVO is bringing in a new model to run alongside the B7R that has become so very common.

VOLVO has had such an impact on the bus scene, that today, almost every bus built here has some VOVLO design cues in it. A majority of the busses are simply photocopies of the VOLVO. Just wanted to put in perspective how 'different' VOLVO could look, if it chose to. I'm sure nobody in India would believe those busses are actually VOLVOs, unless you tell them

Could you throw some more light on the bus scene at your place, I for sure would be enriched with what you have to say
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 18:48   #216
Senior - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,092
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Pretty sure the 2nd axle is dead. The propshaft goes over the dead axle and powers the 1st rear.
Why this is so complicated why not this can be like B9R which is powered by RA2.
Any technical justification?

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjon
second axle is a retractable type
But this option is widely used for trucks with return load empty. I feel buses will never be operated in this fashion as they are loaded both ways.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 21:07   #217
Senior - BHPian
 
TheARUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,272
Thanked: 492 Times
Default

There is something wrong with the pictures. The rear most axle cannot be a dead axle, it has to be a differential to help monitor cornering rotation. There is absolutely no logic is having a dead axle and then the propellor shaft running beyond the last axle, no real benefit of such an arrangement.

Brilliant observation @AshLey
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 22:01   #218
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,726
Thanked: 823 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
There is something wrong with the pictures. The rear most axle cannot be a dead axle, it has to be a differential to help monitor cornering rotation. There is absolutely no logic is having a dead axle and then the propellor shaft running beyond the last axle, no real benefit of such an arrangement.

Brilliant observation @AshLey
The rear-most axle is not powered because the engine is mounted at the middle of the bus. The engine is underslung and directly powers the "middle" axle. This technology would come to India if the B12-B comes to our country. But if its the B12R, then would be very similar to the B9R.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 10:17   #219
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: TReg : Glasgow, PReg : KL-5
Posts: 105
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
The rear-most axle is not powered because the engine is mounted at the middle of the bus. The engine is underslung and directly powers the "middle" axle. This technology would come to India if the B12-B comes to our country. But if its the B12R, then would be very similar to the B9R.
B12M is a mid mounted engine. B12B is a horizontally mounted rear engine and B12R is vertically mounted rear engine.
Please checkout the specifications attached below:

@Ashley,You are right about that. You dont really see many of those on road.
Why do you think all the buses would always run both ways full. What if its a frequent single charter?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dsb12mbogieifslhd.pdf (159.6 KB, 2277 views)
File Type: pdf b12b_ifs_lhd_6x2.pdf (200.3 KB, 615 views)
File Type: pdf lāmina B12R_ingl.pdf (261.3 KB, 366 views)

Last edited by conjon : 3rd April 2010 at 10:25.
conjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 16:07   #220
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,571
Thanked: 305 Times
Default

Volvo certainly knows its buses, it has changed the face of road travel here, we can see Volvos / Clones in the remot parts of the country also.

Lets hope to have the new lot come in soon..
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
If the news that the B12B is coming is really true, then we are in for a big treat. The B12B is the next thing after the B7, its like 12 to 15 metre long, and is available in a variety of body styles, 6 to be precise. Got a few here just to give you a heads up on what to expect
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 17:08   #221
Senior - BHPian
 
TheARUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,272
Thanked: 492 Times
Default

I searched a lot on the net, the last axle, if it is not powered is called the 'slag' axle. The axle weights confirm that the last one is a single wheel type axle.

On the NEOPLAN STARLINER the front axle is 6000 kgs, center axle is 11000 kgs and last axle is again 6000 kgs, capacity.

If it is a mid-engine bus, then it should have air intakes like a FERRARI
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 18:34   #222
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: TReg : Glasgow, PReg : KL-5
Posts: 105
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I searched a lot on the net, the last axle, if it is not powered is called the 'slag' axle. The axle weights confirm that the last one is a single wheel type axle.

On the NEOPLAN STARLINER the front axle is 6000 kgs, center axle is 11000 kgs and last axle is again 6000 kgs, capacity.

If it is a mid-engine bus, then it should have air intakes like a FERRARI
I think its called a Tag or Tandem axle and if steered then called steerable tag axle.
please observe the air intakes in below attached photo of the Two axle B12M
with Jonckheere mistral body work.
attaching the photo of starliner with rear engine.
Attached Images
  
conjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 22:57   #223
Senior - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,092
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjon View Post
@Ashley,You are right about that. You dont really see many of those on road.
Why do you think all the buses would always run both ways full. What if its a frequent single charter?
I cannot completely rule out the possibility but the frequency at which it will be operated as a single charter and the fuel saving from that will be lesser when compared to the ROI initial investment they make on these buses.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 17:15   #224
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: indore
Posts: 7
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Specs Volvo 9400

Hello
Do anyone knows the dimensions of Volvo 9400 Coach (45 seater)?

Regards,
llimcaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 23:08   #225
Senior - BHPian
 
AyAn!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Durgapur/Calcutta/Pune
Posts: 2,167
Thanked: 850 Times
Default

Pritihvi Travels,Durgapur adds two brand new B9Rs to its fleet.Am not a big fan of the shade though.The buses are most likely to ply on the Kolkata-Durgapur-Asansol route.

Volvo Launches B9R Coach : 9400 6x2-image023.jpg

Volvo Launches B9R Coach : 9400 6x2-image025.jpg

Last edited by AyAn! : 28th June 2010 at 23:09.
AyAn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camouflaged Volvo B9R being tested - Why? darklord Commercial Vehicles 3 28th December 2014 11:54
Scania launches Metrolink - New coach range for India Ashley2 Commercial Vehicles 51 25th August 2014 00:24
Volvo B9R v/s B11R - Rear axle setup a4anurag Commercial Vehicles 10 5th June 2014 16:52
Volvo launches 9400px - 14.5m coach Ashley2 Commercial Vehicles 54 27th December 2013 23:13
What could be the next from Volvo after "9400 6x2" stampro Commercial Vehicles 21 12th February 2010 22:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:52.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks