Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 1st November 2008, 14:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Smile Ashley/tata/volvo/benz etc Buses and tour operators: want to know more.

Hi ,
I searched and no results found regarding BUSes.I know little regarding the buses.
What is the Best Bus model in comfort and safety ? is it volvo B9R ?

Bus Coach builders.which coach is the best.I've heard from operaters about a place in panjab called pathankot and karur,trichy in tamilnaad.

which brand? TVS coaches or Sutlej?

who was the pioneer in tourist bus in India and south India?

Kerala had the pathetic leyland powered tourist buses before 1994-95.later then came the air suspension and all.
But ,my father who had completed LLB during 1970's in udupi says Ballal Motors 36 seater(mangalapuram-bombay) of Mangalore had the best coaches in south India and other buses simply looks awkward compared to them(and still boasts ) .aircraft model seats those buses 4 decades back got! etc.
I would love to know the best tour bus operaters in the country too.

Please share your experiences.and any tbhpian owns tourist buses?

I have seen air bus(I guess so!) full of foreigners with 6 pair of wheels when in 1987 as a school kid when they visited our school in muvattupuzha.heard that bus was from italy? came to cochin through ship.still ,I remember that bus- and was a shock for me ,who used to see buses with their radiater grill removed and looks soo ugly.

Let us Discuss.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 11:22   #2
BHPian

HI,
i am shekar from pondicherry.
i am a tourist bus operator, having 2 a/c and 2 non a/c air suspensioned buses, of both ashok leyland and tata makes.

from my knowledge, the south indian tourist bus market had seen various operators in various time spans.

for eg. in tamilnadu, in the 80's, it was parveen travels, then in 90's it was KPN, then still KPN leads in new features, latest buses, etc.,.

the Tourist bus segment - omni bus, in local language, is a completely different segment, with very few owners, mainly from some specific locations, exist. we can talk more, but to each is his own is the business style. i think, you can understand.

the latest in this segment is the airconditioned volvo sleeper coaches, with 30 berth capacity. the least you can find is the leyland 222" airbus with 1+1+1 = 25 seating capacity, most luxurious semi sleeper seating.
shekaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 14:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

thanks shekharan for the info.but we have Volvo B9R just launched.so is Mercedes Benz buses too.I know that only big tourist bus operators get these buses costing 75lakhs plus.
As far as I know ,Pune,Kolhapur ,Indore and Banglore holds BIG tour operators along with the One's from Bombay.

I know about parbeen,jabbar travels which got services from madras to cochin.some of their buses are so bad!.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 12:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

The 1st lot of Merc buses were given to Sharma, Neeta & Konduskar. In terms of comfort I think Volvo, Merc, Kinglong and Corono should be the 1st grade not necessarily in the same order. The Tata Starbus & ALL 12M coaches should be the 2nd grade while the rest of the ALL & Tata Motors should be the next in the ladder. I have not included the Swaraj Mazda's new model which has been launched with Izuzu's tieup.

Whatever be the model at the end of the day, maintanace by the coach operators is what counts in the long term comfort of the coach
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 12:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
HI,
i am shekar from pondicherry.
i am a tourist bus operator, having 2 a/c and 2 non a/c air suspensioned buses, of both ashok leyland and tata makes.

from my knowledge, the south indian tourist bus market had seen various operators in various time spans.

for eg. in tamilnadu, in the 80's, it was parveen travels, then in 90's it was KPN, then still KPN leads in new features, latest buses, etc.,.

the Tourist bus segment - omni bus, in local language, is a completely different segment, with very few owners, mainly from some specific locations, exist. we can talk more, but to each is his own is the business style. i think, you can understand.

the latest in this segment is the airconditioned volvo sleeper coaches, with 30 berth capacity. the least you can find is the leyland 222" airbus with 1+1+1 = 25 seating capacity, most luxurious semi sleeper seating.
Any views on the new AL Luxura?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 15:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Any views on the new AL Luxura?
Hi HVK if my memory serves correct, AL Luxura is on the 12M platform with a different engine spec, so am not sure if the levels of comfort would be as much as the Volvo / Merc even though ALL had claimed that it could match any new generation coach. Also Luxura has not really taken off for what ever reasons, I remember they had given two coaches to KSRTC on an experimental basis which used to run on the Chennai - Bangalore route, but till date have not come across any big order from KSRTC.

Incidentally in my opinion Parveen travels is possibly the only private transport operator who experiments a lot with coaches. Over time he has bought Kinglong, Volvo, Corono, Lexia apart from the regular AL coaches. While online booking was first started by these guys in the private space even though there are a lot who claim to have pioneer internet booking of tickets.

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 4th November 2008 at 15:23.
Old 4th November 2008, 22:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
When I was a kid, I had travelled a couple of times in a Kirloskar Neoplan bus. As far as I remember,the red coloured bus(es) were operated by a company called Girikand Travels. They were very comfortable, but for some reason, all I remember that they sometimes delayed journeys for long durations, because it kept breaking down.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 11:28   #8
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default luxura

sad luxura is not making inroad especially after AL had dominated the luxury bus segment market so much..hv cpl of luxura pics which i had taken near my home
Attached Thumbnails
Ashley/tata/volvo/benz etc Buses and tour operators: want to know more.-leylandluxura2.jpg  

Ashley/tata/volvo/benz etc Buses and tour operators: want to know more.-leylandluxura3.jpg  

santoshnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 11:40   #9

The first lot of Mercedes buses was handed over to Neeta, Konduskor and Sharma. Though these buses look nowhere as good as the Volvo ones, the comfort is slightly on the better side when compared to the B7R.

The first batch of the new Volvo B9R was picked up by Sharma travels. The B9R is far superior to the B7R, and also the Mercedes buses as well. They do cost a bomb, but come loaded with goodies to the brim.

I have travelled by all these buses, and the Kinglong ones as well. The Kinglong are comfy too, but the resonance of the engine, and the harshness of the suspension over small undulations is a big issue. But, then, they cost less too (45lakh or so, right?)

As for the Tata Globus and all, they are nowhere as comfy as the Kinglong / merc / volvo buses. Just nowhere. I had a ride in the Raj Globus on Mumbai-Pune route, after having taken a Volvo from Pune. The difference is HUGE
yamracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 14:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
When I was a kid, I had travelled a couple of times in a Kirloskar Neoplan bus. As far as I remember,the red coloured bus(es) were operated by a company called Girikand Travels. They were very comfortable, but for some reason, all I remember that they sometimes delayed journeys for long durations, because it kept breaking down.
Kirloskar Neoplan was possibly the only true bus chasis at that point, pity it was way ahead of its time and in a market dominated by price factor they could not survive. It required a Volvo to prove the difference a true bus chasis could make to the comfort and travelling experience
Old 5th November 2008, 14:42   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamracing View Post
They do cost a bomb, but come loaded with goodies to the brim.
what goodies are to be expected in the new B9R vs the B7R?
leadf00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 14:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
what goodies are to be expected in the new B9R vs the B7R?
Its got two more air pillows (or bellows?) than the B7R. The driver can lower the bus (not present in the B7R). The bus also comes with electronically controlled braking (somewhat like EBD) to cut down on braking distance. Apart from this, a much powerful engine, longer, and may be a bit wider too. Optional accessories include a rear view camera installed next to the driver's seat.
yamracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 12:49   #13
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Just saw one more luxura belonging to GeeTee the same guys who own the luxura in the above pic ....its their second one guess they have preferred it over the volvos as they already have an existing fleet of Volvo buses
santoshnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 14:33   #14
PVS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I've heard from operaters about a place in panjab called pathankot and karur,trichy in tamilnaad.

I would love to know the best tour bus operaters in the country too.
Please share your experiences.
Let us Discuss.
True, Karur in TN is home to many bus body builders; Most of the private bus operators on the outbound routes from Mangalore (Udupi/Manipal/Kundapura/Karkala/Kasargode) used to get their Tata bus bodies built from the Karur based bus body builders - PEETEE coach and Super Coach to name a few.

I don't know the 'best' tour operators in the Southern Part of the country but yes, - Sharma, Parveen and KPN seem to be the first to introduce new buses and are quite well known in the South. Neeta and Konduskar are well know in Maharashtra.

Then you have Shameem, Jabbar, Omer, SL Travels - mostly on the Bangalore - Hyderabad, Bangalore - Mumbai, Hyderabad-Mumbai routes. Their service leaves much to be desired; a few days back, a pax travelling by Omer from Mumbai to Hyderabad complained about the pathetic service offered.

Canara Public Conveyance (CPC) - was the number one choice for the people of coastal Karnataka to travel to Bangalore and back, at least in the 90s - don't know the situation now. Their ACGL buses(then) used to be well maintained, services were punctual and staff courteous. Come any weekend or a long holiday, CPC buses used to get completely booked first; then people had to settle down for other buses. They also used to run an A/C service from Mangalore to Mumbai.

Here in AP, Kaleswari, Kesineni, SVR seem to have a lot of buses running on the Hyderabad-Vishakapatnam, Hyderabad-Vijayawada and Hyderabad - Tirupati routes.

PVS
PVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 14:57   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamracing View Post
I have travelled by all these buses, and the Kinglong ones as well. The Kinglong are comfy too, but the resonance of the engine, and the harshness of the suspension over small undulations is a big issue. But, then, they cost less too (45lakh or so, right?)

As for the Tata Globus and all, they are nowhere as comfy as the Kinglong / merc / volvo buses. Just nowhere. I had a ride in the Raj Globus on Mumbai-Pune route, after having taken a Volvo from Pune. The difference is HUGE
I dont think you can include King Long in Volvos/Merc league. These are not even close to them. The space in between the seats, legspace, is just pathetic. Even they are very low, a tough time for someone above 5.4 inch. Even the engine noise and vibrations are pretty high..
cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote