Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 5th November 2008, 10:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Mercedes bus accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
Spotted this mercedes on the way back to bangalore.
This happened in the 1st week of October, near Nippani on the Bangalore - Mumbai route.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes bus accident-dscf4812-large.jpg  

pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 11:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Holy cow!! That bus looks badly smashed!! What did it hit ?
The person sitting alongside the driver must be badly injured. Were there any other casualties reported ?
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 11:24   #3
Awaiting Email Confirmation

its so sad to see such a beauty go tothe dumps how can people be so careless and reckless atleast hv respect for the 3 star emblem....was anyone hurt or seriously injured in this seems driver had to be safe dunno abt the left hand side which has been smashed badly
santoshnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 11:41   #4

Holy Cow!!
I have taken Sharma Volvo to bangalore lot of times. Their drivers seem to be good. How did this happen? Any casualties? deaths? Damn! What a scary sight..
yamracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 11:51   #5
BANNED

i dont think this bus is going for the Dumps. it will probably be re-fixed by MB folks in India or some local Body BUilder. But i am not sure whether the driver is going to get to drive this one agian.
fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 11:55   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Holy cow!! That bus looks badly smashed!! What did it hit ?
The person sitting alongside the driver must be badly injured. Were there any other casualties reported ?
The highlighted section in Red suggests it went into a truck parked in the left lane in direction of traffic. It must be a low carrier truck something like a dumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes bus accident-dscf4812-large.jpg  

moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 12:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

I was told that there was one guy who was killed, apparently the guy who was sitting alongside the driver.

The version of the accident is there was a stationery lorry parked on the left hand side of the road. There was another lorry which was going on the Right Lane possibly to pass the parked lorry. The bus was trying to overtake the lorry from the left only to hit the parked truck. I had taken this snap a good couple of days after the accident happened, since they were waiting for MB folks to take away the bus.

The driver was still in the bus taking care of the bus while still nursing his injuries.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 13:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

bus drivers have a habit of taking blind overtakes either from left or the right with high speeds and without much distance between the front vehicle and the bus.

they just try to overtake from right hand side and when they dont get side they just flip the bus on the left, cut to cut behind the slow trucks. it happens in seconds. especially the Karnataka bus drivers are very famous for such overtakes.

please see the illustration below what might have happened. RED block is a stationary lorry. GREEN is the overtaking truck who is right. then BLUE block is the maniac bus driver. the distance between the bus and overtaking truck is very less. the driver cannot even see whats on the left side of the truck. and he just flips the bus to the left to overtake. and within seconds he clashes on the stationary lorry.
Attached Images

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 5th November 2008 at 13:31.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 14:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
The driver was still in the bus taking care of the bus while still nursing his injuries.
What he wasnt arrested? He should have been in jail rotting away for the rest of his life, his driving has killed an innocent person.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 15:19   #10
BHPian

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
What he wasnt arrested? He should have been in jail rotting away for the rest of his life, his driving has killed an innocent person.
Ouch! That is way too harsh man! Who are we to judge without knowing all the facts?

Yes it is very unfortunate that someone was killed. May that person rest in peace. But how can you call that driver wholly responsible?

I am sure that driver will carry this incident with a heavy heart all his life. And if he was a cleaner or some conductor, he would have been a colleague and a friend too!

But circumstances are often more than we can see. Pressure from owners/operators to meet schedules and be the first to reach (remember Titanic) and under trained or overworked staff can add to all that!

Let the law take its course! Atleast that driver is still doing his duty (even tho' he's injured). He didn't just run away like others!
Glifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 16:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
Ouch! That is way too harsh man! Who are we to judge without knowing all the facts?

Yes it is very unfortunate that someone was killed. May that person rest in peace. But how can you call that driver wholly responsible?

I am sure that driver will carry this incident with a heavy heart all his life. And if he was a cleaner or some conductor, he would have been a colleague and a friend too!

But circumstances are often more than we can see. Pressure from owners/operators to meet schedules and be the first to reach (remember Titanic) and under trained or overworked staff can add to all that!

Let the law take its course! Atleast that driver is still doing his duty (even tho' he's injured). He didn't just run away like others!
Harsh? i though i was being nice.

Check some of the posts on top and the explaination given by the driver. Trying to overtake from the left, because the right lane was blocked.

Agree the truck parked on the left lane is at fault too and he should be cooling his backside in the slammer too for that.

He is a driver of a bus on our national highways dosent he know enough that such things are possible and still drive like this.

Well frankly i dont know what i am trying to prove, these things are so normal for a lot of people now that no one see's anything amiss in here.

I know accidents happen, but the callous attitude is what i dont get. Life in India still has no value.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 16:24   #12

I have been in the Sharma Volvo lot of times to Bangalore. their drivers are quite nice. its unfortunate that such an accident actually happened.
yamracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 21:36   #13

I happened to be in a BMTC Pushpak bus in Bangalore which has a single door. The door switch gave way and we all had to jump from the driver side door, we were 2 disabled (including myself) and few women too apart from aged people. There is an emergency window at the back. For using that we must climb on the rear seat, break the glass with your hand (for you dont carry hammers with you!) and then jump from a height of 10 ft and in case you break your bone, god save and in case your head butts to the ground, i dont wish to imagine!. God save us from people who think they are geniuses when they design buses for the masses!
Why isnt any bus having a slim full size emergency door in the rear with proper steps which can be covered with a flip plate that can be used during emergencies?
rajeshbolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 23:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

i have also always imagined this. even on aeroplanes the emergency exits are on the wings, and they expect us to jump down from such a height in case of panic emergency.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 23:59   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i have also always imagined this. even on aeroplanes the emergency exits are on the wings, and they expect us to jump down from such a height in case of panic emergency.
dude dont you see that card they provide in the seat pocket. there are slides. at least thats what ive seen on most planes. those slides also become rafts.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote