Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 16th June 2012, 22:10   #1846
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
I have personally seen the Sarvesh (KPNs) and IIRC Kallada and one more doing over a 110 on the BLR - Salem route. Its scary to see a huge thing filling up your rear view esp when you are doing a sedate 100 and flashing and honking. You do one thing and one thing only - MOVE!
Agree with you for some exceptions. But the point of running beyond 120 and 130 as expressed are simply for the sake of excitement in my view. I can very well tell many operators have locked the speed and few of them are mentioned by me.
And there are cases I have witnessed this and the most recent was Parveen Merc, National travels, Sharma transports Volvo's.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 09:58   #1847
Senior - BHPian

My heartfelt condolences to the victims of the horrific bus accident from Hyd to Shiridi.
13 TCS engineers among 30 dead in bus accident - Indian Express
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 13:44   #1848
BHPian

Sharma Transports 7 PM Non AC seater 2x1 Bangalore Aluva

As usual the trip was last minute, finally it was only confirmed by 12 noon that I was free to go on an overcast Saturday evening.

Quick check showed all the 3 three KaSRTC multi axles had only last row seats available - hence ruled out. SRM had lot of seats but getting down at 3 AM on the highway in my "very big small town" was not somethig to look forward to! Kallada customer service and my views of "customer service" have been at loggerheads for quite some time, so didnt bother to check at all. Due to carrying two fair size bags, ruled out the Angamaly option as well. The Thiruvalla Super Deluxe for some reason never showed up in the KeSRTC availabilty for that day, and Sharma showed all three services (6 PM TRV Multi axle Volvo, 7 PM 2 x 1 Non AC and 8 PM 2 X 2 non AC) all had enough seats available (and enough seats booked as well to warrant running the service!) and Bharathi had just 2 seats in the second last row in addition to the last row seats. Fellow Team BHP members had kindly helped out with directions to Madiwala booking agents ,but then by the time I left from the office it started drizzling with promise of heavy rain (which it did briefly atleast), so decided to go to Sharma at Kalasipalayam where I was sure to get on.

Both the Volvo and the 7PM 2x1 Non AC had seats available, since the Volvo might end up at Aluva around 4 AM, I decided for the 2 x1 Non AC (Fare 600 vs 1000 for Volvo) on my calculation that I can comfortably reach by 7.30 AM. Calculation was correct, but what was not forecasted for was that our good friends at Walayar Kerala check post had suddenly decided that they would show their commitment to the job and gratitude to their employers by turning over a new leaf and that they had decided to practice their Monsoon 2012 resolution today! Apparently the modus operandi was to go through with a fine tooth comb every bit of documentation the bus wallahs were carrying for their luggage! Sharma Non AC buses generally have a 20% addition to their roof height due to volume of luggage they carry on top, so the monsoon resolution of our friends meant that the bus was held up for 1 1/2 hrs from 4.45 to 6.15 AM. There was a Sona Izuzu who also seemed to get the brotherly affection in the same generous measure ( guess there was no breathing space in the hold in their case!) Finally both siblings left together and both seemed to have a few additonal passengers who looked like a few night shift babus out to ensure that the bad boys (the bus operators) did not do any more mischief!!! Typical Kerala style, just 2 of us in the whole bus seemed to be bothered with the delay (my unfortunate new found friend had to return the same evening!) most other people couldnt seem to care less!!!. Quite a few contented snores in various tuneful melodies were avaialable for our listening pleasure!!!

Off we went at 6.15 after tbe babus decided they had done enough for today and 2 hours and 50 min later, I was put down on the highway near my home, my request for the same was acceded to without any complaint. The driving on the heavily raining NH 47 from Walayar all the way through was fast but safe. However the 2 x 1 bus is not a great design. Most of the seats when fully reclined almost end up in the lap of the person behind. The single seats give some privacy though.
I always have a soft spot towards Sharma, the first private operator I started using more than 20 years back and they are always one of those steady operators who will deliver average performance after average performance with an above average or below average performance such a rarity that if it does happen, you begin to wonder whether you had got into Shama instead of Sharma instead!!!

The monsoon resolution of the Walayar Babus was not the operators fault and post the 90 min hold up, the crews performance was truly exemplary, A couple of times they had to unload luggage and the urgency and the way they did it was something similar to what u see in F1 Pit Stops I was the second person to request an enroute alighting point (before/after the regluar stops) and both our requests were acceded to without a murmur.

At 600 Rs if you are okay with reaching Ernakulam by 8 Am for a Madiwala 8 PM departure, this bus is good value for money (except for 6 footers who may struggle a little with leg room

Saw the HKB bus a couple of times. It looks very well maintained . It is a single axle Volvo but while not confirmed this is run for Angel Travels to Pathanamthitta (these guys earlier tied up with Bharathi for their Pathanapuram service).

Last edited by TKMCE : 17th June 2012 at 13:52.
TKMCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 18:22   #1849
Senior - BHPian

Walayar checkpost babus are very tough to deal with. That may be one reason, we can send a parcel from Bangalore to Kerala, let it be a used stuff or junk paper, only if we have original tax bill. I have sent material to all other neighboring states with only declaration letter but when it is Kerala, the same operator do not accept.

Sharma and Greyhound are the two buses mostly held up at Walayar for checking. Several other operators mostly carry flowers which go through checks without much issues.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 22:34   #1850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Sharma and Greyhound are the two buses mostly held up at Walayar for checking. Several other operators mostly carry flowers which go through checks without much issues.

I would never tire of saying this again and again, this thread is invaluable for such feedback. My recent trips on Sharma were all on the other direction (Kochi to Bangalore) and there was hardly any checking at Walayar. I would have taken Greyhound almost certainly from Bangalore next time if I had not seen the above post by Coolclouds since despite leaving half an hour after Sharma they overtook Sharma half an hour after Hosur and I was impressed by their time keeping and the well maintained appearance of the bus. But I am not going to take any more chance with non AC private buses from Bangalore to Kochi .

In the case of Walayar atleast it is a good 3 hours from Kochi and it is better to wait it out and hope the checking will not take too long. For people going to Trivandrum via the Salem, Madurai, Nagercoil route it is even worse, The Kerala check post (Amaravila) is barely 25 km from Trivandrum and it is frustrating to get held up so close to your final destination. If the checking takes too long, sometimes it makes sense just to flag down a passing bus and get to Trivandrum!!! Nowadays they mostly seem to wave the buses through without much checking.

For my return as of now I plan to take the first KSRTC Multi axle at 1830 (problem is since it is on a weekday it is likely to go to all the bus stands to pick up pax) or will take Bharati.

Does anyone know if from Kerala to Bangalore, Bharati goes inside Trichur town??

Last edited by TKMCE : 17th June 2012 at 22:44.
Old 17th June 2012, 23:17   #1851
Team-BHP Support

Has the Volvo serivce operated between Bangalore - Mundakayam by Sai Neeta travels been stopped? My relative tried to use their service sometime last week and was informed the bus was out of service for the time being. Any idea what's the story behind it?

Also, what time does the Kallada Multi axle service between Bangalore - Kumily - Mundakayam leave from Bangalore?
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 09:16   #1852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
For my return as of now I plan to take the first KSRTC Multi axle at 1830 (problem is since it is on a weekday it is likely to go to all the bus stands to pick up pax) or will take Bharati.
Karnataka SRTC buses do not enter bus stations other than those mentioned as their pick-up points. The 1830 Multi-Axle Mercedes would enter only Thrissur, and that is their sole pick-up point after Ernakulam. The bus would then take bypasses irrespective of number of passengers inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
Does anyone know if from Kerala to Bangalore, Bharati goes inside Trichur town??
Bharathi do not enter Thrissur for pick-up/drop in either directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Has the Volvo serivce operated between Bangalore - Mundakayam by Sai Neeta travels been stopped? My relative tried to use their service sometime last week and was informed the bus was out of service for the time being. Any idea what's the story behind it?
One of their buses were pulled up for service. I had seen that bus in Kalasipalya, being worked upon by mechanics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Also, what time does the Kallada Multi axle service between Bangalore - Kumily - Mundakayam leave from Bangalore?
IIRC, it leaves around 9pm from Madiwala.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 09:29   #1853
Senior - BHPian

I used Greyhound service several times from Kochi to Bangalore as they have a boarding point in front of Edappally Church (8.45pm). They bypass Trichur town but enter Palghat. They don't stop for dinner but used to stop at Walayar around mid night for tea. Two-three times, they entered Salem town to unload parcels (automobile spares). Most of the time it reached Bommanahalli around 7-7.15am on Mondays.

I couldn't take their service after they introduced new bus.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 10:16   #1854
BHPian

I am going to be a frequent traveller on Bangalore Pune sector and would add reviews of various service providers.

Last trip: Pune Bangalore by Neeta Travels. Volvo B9R.
Scheduled departure time: 4:30 pm.
Actual departure: 5:15 pm
In coach service: Movie, water bottle, no charging point
Breaks: Longer than required. official 30 minutes for dinner, unofficial 50 minutes
Bus condition: Okayish. Front winshield was cracked.
Staff: Okay.
Scheduled arrival time: 6 am
Actual arrival time: 8:30 am

Final rating: 2.5. Take this operator only as a last option.
shipnil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 10:21   #1855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
What was the boarding point?
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 10:32   #1856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
What was the boarding point?
Boarding point was below wakad flyover. Additionally with Neeta you can choose boarding points such as Nigdi, Akurdi, Chinchwad, Jagtap dairy, Swargate. They have pick up services from these points.
Old 18th June 2012, 10:37   #1857
Senior - BHPian

Completed these 2 trips in the last 4 days -

Bangalore - Kodaikanal : We were booked on the 2215 KSRTC Volvo from Shantinagar to Kodaikanal.

The bus is supposed to stand on platform no. 3 at Shantinagar but there's too many buses in that lane at that time so only the conductor stands there and guides you to the bus. The bus left by 2245 and the driver was terribly rash throughout the journey.

I think he believed he was riding a 5 ft bicycle and not a 40 ft bus; rapid acceleration, hard braking and sudden lane changes. And he was fairly aged to have a huge amount of experience driving buses.

Worst part - He took 3 breaks at lousy places and shut down the engine at each time. So, you either get down at 3am and sweat it out in the bus.

We reached Kodaikanal by 6.30am.

Coimbatore - Bangalore : We were booked on the 2221 KSRTC Volvo.

The bus left by 2245 and was driven very well.

I don't think he took any stops; we were at Majestic by 5am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I am going to be a frequent traveller on Bangalore Pune sector and would add reviews of various service providers.
KSRTC is a very good option; esp. the ~4pm multi-axle Volvo.

Quote:

Scheduled arrival time: 6 am
Actual arrival time: 8:30 am
This is surprising; a few month's back, a friend travelled in a Neeta Volvo which completed Pune-B'lore in flat 12hours.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 11:00   #1858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

KSRTC is a very good option; esp. the ~4pm multi-axle Volvo.
Unfortunately KSRTC does not have any pick up / drop points at Hinjewadi. And it is a pain to cross whole city to reach to Swargate to catch KSRTC.
Old 18th June 2012, 11:31   #1859
Distinguished - BHPian

For the return from Kollam to Bangalore on Sunday (17th June 2012), was able get hold of tickets for the Kollam Bangalore in a Sharma Multi Axle Volvo (6:30 pm pick up at Kollam).

About the Bus. Reg No - KA05 AC 347. The bus has 519689 kms on the odo when I boarded at Kollam. The driver was from Krishnagiri.

But arrived at Kollam 30 mins late. A few passengers boarded along with me. The bus started off from Kollam and the rain started giving company from here. One thing about the driver, he was simply bullying everybody on the opposite side and overtaking cars, 2 wheelers and everything. We had seats numbers 27 and 28 where the small screen (TV) was placed and rattling away to glory. To add to it the volume was quite high. Requested the crew to reduce the volume which they did. Mohan Lal's movie, Cassanova was being played.

The driver had absolutely no regard for the bystanders or the slower moving traffic. Sprayed/splashed as much water on them.

The second driver took over about 45 mins from Salem. The second driver was horribly lugging the engine which ensure rear end of the bus was ratting away to glory. Was dropped off at Lalbagh Main Gate at 7:30 pm.

One thing, the legroom when the seats are reclines is not sufficient.

Overall an OK sort of journey on the Multi-Axle Volvo after a long time.

Last edited by nkrishnap : 18th June 2012 at 11:33.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 15:17   #1860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Karnataka SRTC buses do not enter bus stations other than those mentioned as their pick-up points. The 1830 Multi-Axle Mercedes would enter only Thrissur, and that is their sole pick-up point after Ernakulam. The bus would then take bypasses irrespective of number of passengers inside.

Bharathi do not enter Thrissur for pick-up/drop in either directions.
Thanks Binaiks, I went to Zam Zam (who is incidentally now an authorised agent for KaSRTC with their own ticket stock- the standard orange KaSRTC paper ticket) and booked with them on the 1830 service. Told them clearly that unlike last time in Sharma I do not want any more sight seeing trips of the Trichur travel agents as well as Shoranur, Ottappalam etc (I have been giving business to them for the last 8 years so I do occasionally exercise my right to put accross a point)and that I would want the first Volvo/Benz which puts me down either at Kalasipalayam or ideally Majestic and not at Madiwala. Full credit to them ,they did some phoning around and the Bharati guys informed they will go further after Madiwala if only they have enough passengers continuing beyond which on a weekday is not certain by any means. So KaSRTC , it is then and the booking agency is now a bonus.

Coolcouds - Thanks for the info regarding Greyhound. 7.15 at Bommanahlli means it is likely to reach only around 8 at Kalasiapalaym which is too late.

Last edited by TKMCE : 18th June 2012 at 15:29.