Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2013, 15:16   #2881
BHPian
 
sbkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 329
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I only hope they are punctual. Esp given the fact if one is travelling from Mysore, hope the timing is spot. Else the service can be rendered quite in-effective.
True, you need to give yourself some buffer and plan properly if you need to use this service. For some unknown reason I used to feel tensed invariably every time I took the bus to BIAL instead of taxi even though I start a little early and I know I have some buffer :-)

On a related note, it seems KSTRC has revamped their site since the time I visited them last. The search/listing seems to have been improved. I hope other state services ( especially SETC - TN) learn from them and improve both their website as well as the buses and services. I for one always found the drivers and conductors of SETC/KSRTC services quite friendly unlike the private operators but the state of the buses and the travel time is what keeping me away from them.
sbkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 17:24   #2882
Senior - BHPian
 
silversteed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PGT//BLR//STR
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 1,294 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I only hope they are punctual. Esp given the fact if one is travelling from Mysore, hope the timing is spot. Else the service can be rendered quite in-effective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
True, you need to give yourself some buffer and plan properly if you need to use this service.
+1

Like any means of transport to the airport, the traveller must keep sufficient buffer time.

On the trip to Mysore from BIAL, the start time for the services can be aligned to the arrival time of flights.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013, 05:03   #2883
Senior - BHPian
 
TheARUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,258
Thanked: 461 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

The Mysore-Bangalore Air Bus proposal is very risky to patronise, nobody knows how much time it would take from Mysore to Bangalore. This is one stretch where traffic gets thrown off gear very often. For all villages in the area, the road is their arena, any agitation, they block the highway, accidents are galore and lead to huge pile-ups. Come festival time and you have bumper-to-bumper traffic for 139 kilometres, don't believe me, check out tomorrow evening :-)
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 22:50   #2884
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 66
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Travelled from Hyderabad to Vijayawada in Morning Star travels in bus no. Ap 07 TT 07 and service no 10a. It was one of the worst RASH driving I experienced till date. Loud honking, random lane cuts, sudden braking , switching on lights during travel and other Non sense. I tried reaching their Guntur contact no and they replied indifferently. Pretty bad experince and I could not sleep for even 1 hour.
manduvindupondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 11:28   #2885
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 284
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Traveled from Trichy to Chennai yesterday (18th) afternoon by MJT travels. I am hearing the name for the first time but went ahead and booked thro' MakeMyTrip @ Rs700/- for non Volvo AC bus.

The scheduled dep was 12.10 pm but the bus reached Trichy from Madurai at 12.25 pm. After a longish halt and some confusion over bookings , left at 1 pm and reached Perungalathur at 5.45 pm (wth 20 min break)

I was surprised that an AL bus could do such speeds covering the distance in 4hr 15 min which Volvos do comfortably. The bus was good, no rattles, AC was OK and seat comfortable.

Positives:

Neat and clean, very little noise in the cabin - ride quality was equivalent to Volvo
Well driven - no sudden braking, no excessive use of horn

Negatives:

Not so courteous staff at Trichy office
Stopped at a nondescript dirty place for the break
Rs.700/ fare which is same or higher than normal Volvo fare

If a AL bus can run as good as a Volvo (ride comfort, time), why are these buses not so popular considering they cost much less that Volvo
raju2512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 11:53   #2886
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,328
Thanked: 560 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The Mysore-Bangalore Air Bus proposal is very risky to patronise, nobody knows how much time it would take from Mysore to Bangalore. This is one stretch where traffic gets thrown off gear very often. For all villages in the area, the road is their arena, any agitation, they block the highway, accidents are galore and lead to huge pile-ups. Come festival time and you have bumper-to-bumper traffic for 139 kilometres, don't believe me, check out tomorrow evening :-)
The conditions will be same for a Bus or a Car !
However, not sure what study KSRTC did to see if sufficient passengers exist on this route.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 12:58   #2887
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,176
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
If a AL bus can run as good as a Volvo (ride comfort, time), why are these buses not so popular considering they cost much less that Volvo
Got to do with the perception IMO. Customers are ready to pay a premium for a Volvo and that's what the operators are capitalizing on. Experts on the thread can explain further.

I think there was another thread on how Volvo has managed to become synonymous with 'an AC bus' in India. BTW, did you notice if there was any Volvo written on the one you traveled in?
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 13:10   #2888
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 284
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
BTW, did you notice if there was any Volvo written on the one you traveled in?
No.

There were no stickers on the bus anywhere mentioning Volvo. Even the on line booking site (both MMT and the operators website) didn't mention Volvo and simply said 2+2 AC coach.

By the way, I was wondering why these buses are not popular with operators considering they cost much less

Last edited by raju2512 : 19th August 2013 at 13:13.
raju2512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 13:49   #2889
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,051
Thanked: 1,378 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
... I am hearing the name for the first time but went ahead and booked thro' MakeMyTrip @ Rs700/- for non Volvo AC bus.....
If a AL bus can run as good as a Volvo (ride comfort, time), why are these buses not so popular considering they cost much less that Volvo
MJT is owned by former TN transport minister's family in his brother's name - Muthu Jeyam.
At any point of time you will have tickets to Chennai in their office, as they run buses in multiple service half an hour gap.

This could be 12M CRS buses, which are equally popular in the budget segment, may be its not identified properly.
VRL owns around 120 of these buses apart from other 12M models.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 16:51   #2890
BHPian
 
BusyBoyKK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 147
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Traveled HYD to Chennai by Kesineni and return by Bharati. Volvo B11R both ways. Convenient.

While going to Chennai, we were made to fill up our name and contact details. Apparently they have to give the passengers list at the TN border check post (which they did give). Anyone knows more details why the need to give the list of passengers while entering TN border? This was not the case 2 weeks ago when I traveled by the same bus and not in the return journey too.
BusyBoyKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 20:22   #2891
BHPian
 
S5157's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Muvattupuzha, KL
Posts: 283
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBoyKK View Post
Traveled HYD to Chennai by Kesineni and return by Bharati. Volvo B11R both ways. Convenient.

While going to Chennai, we were made to fill up our name and contact details. Apparently they have to give the passengers list at the TN border check post (which they did give). Anyone knows more details why the need to give the list of passengers while entering TN border? This was not the case 2 weeks ago when I traveled by the same bus and not in the return journey too.
I remember this practice was followed 12 years ago when I use to travel between Bangalore and Kerala in Push back private operator buses. The helper use to come with a chart clipped on to a card board and ask every one to enter the name and details.
S5157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 20:46   #2892
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,694
Thanked: 771 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBoyKK View Post
Traveled HYD to Chennai by Kesineni and return by Bharati. Volvo B11R both ways. Convenient.
I am afraid, those were B9Rs. As of now the only B11R operating to Chennai is of Thunaivan Travels (Chennai-Palani). Other than this, there are B11Rs of Kesineni running from Hyderabad to Madurai/Coimbatore/Ernakulam/Trivandrum, and Kallada B11Rs operating Hyderabad-Ernakulam and Bangalore-Kollam. Bharathi hasn't taken any B11Rs.

In any case, the B11R is not selling much - due to a lot of reports of failures (mainly suspension related).
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 21:13   #2893
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I am afraid, those were B9Rs. As of now the only B11R operating to Chennai is of Thunaivan Travels (Chennai-Palani). Other than this, there are B11Rs of Kesineni running from Hyderabad to Madurai/Coimbatore/Ernakulam/Trivandrum, and Kallada B11Rs operating Hyderabad-Ernakulam and Bangalore-Kollam. Bharathi hasn't taken any B11Rs.

In any case, the B11R is not selling much - due to a lot of reports of failures (mainly suspension related).
Kesineni also operates B11Rs to Ahmedabad and Mumbai, apart from a Bangalore-Mumbai B11R. They have now gone up 18 B11Rs in their fleet.

Have Volvo even managed to sell 50 B11Rs till now?? Which operator is facing suspension issues??
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 21:51   #2894
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,694
Thanked: 771 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post

Have Volvo even managed to sell 50 B11Rs till now?? Which operator is facing suspension issues??
Both kallada and kesineni had suspension failures within one week of introducing the bus. Both the operators faced similar issues again with their second lot as well. To compound their woes the bus gives lower mileage.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 22:13   #2895
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Both kallada and kesineni had suspension failures within one week of introducing the bus. Both the operators faced similar issues again with their second lot as well. To compound their woes the bus gives lower mileage.
Thanks for the info.

The lower mileage I think was to be expected considering the 10.8L capacity of the D11A engine compared to the D9B's 9.4L. I think using the 380hp variant of the D9B engine may have proved a better choice.

I am sure Volvo will quickly get on top of the suspension issue.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OneSideTaxi.com: One-way taxi for intercity travel girishglg Street Experiences 4 25th January 2016 14:04
Intercity Bus Operations - Bubble waiting to burst? Ashley2 Commercial Vehicles 38 27th January 2013 13:06
POLL: Your dealmaker for an Intercity Bus Trip TheARUN Commercial Vehicles 15 1st September 2012 05:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks