Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 18th November 2013, 20:26   #3136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Looks like my travel plan might undergo a small change and I will spend the night at Guruvayur and proceed to Munnar from thereon. Are there any direct buses (in the morning) from Guruvayur or Thrissur to Munnar? I would like to reach Munnar by noon. Tried calling the KeSRTC Thrissur number listed on their website but no there's no one answering the phone. Or, should I take a bus from Guruvayur to Aluva / Perumbavoor and change from there, as most buses from Kochi will proceed on this route?
There is one Vadakkenchery-Munnar at around 0645~7 from Thrissur. I had seen this bus until a year ago. Alternatively, there is a Kodungallur-Munnar service at 0650hrs, which reaches Munnar around 1130. Kodungallur is only an hour from Guruvayur, on the Ernakulam route - there are shuttle services from Guruvayur towards Kodungallur every 10~15 minutes from 0430AM until 8pm. I think it would be better to go via Kodungallur - since the Munnar service is kind of a "prestige" service for them, and it operates without fail.

Going via Aluva would be cumbersome - because the buses would be quite crowded by the time it reaches Aluva - You'll have to do some heroics in the morning hours.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 21:28   #3137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust09 View Post
Take a bus to Gandhipuram from the Airport. There is a KSRTC Super Express to Ernakulam, at 11.30 am- it takes the Thrissur bypass though.

If you are out of the airport well in time, the best option would be to take the first bus from Gandhipuram to Palakkad, and switch over to a bus to Thrissur over there.
Oh ! Are buses to Thrissur rare ? I thought there were chain buses from Gandhipuram to Kerala passing through Thrissur throughout the day. I would have a big strolley, that is why KeSRTC was not a preferred option.
autotranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 22:24   #3138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
Oh ! Are buses to Thrissur rare ? I thought there were chain buses from Gandhipuram to Kerala passing through Thrissur throughout the day. I would have a big strolley, that is why KeSRTC was not a preferred option.
If that is the case you can also get SETC bus from Salem to Cochin which are all Ultra Deluxe air bus (2X2 seating layout). In this you may have option to keep your strolley in luggage compartment. Again I'm not sure about the timing but you should find one within an hours time. If you couldn't get SETC at Gandhipuram bus stand then my next suggestion as said on earlier post, you can make use of Bangalore Erenakulam intercity express from Coimbatore also if you reach early and lucky enough there may be some late long running weekly express / super fast trains towards Southern Kerala.
treadmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 23:10   #3139
BHPian

Autotranny

I had done this trip (Coimbatore Airport to Alwaye) at roughly the same timings. I had reached Coimbatore airport around 11 AM, hence missed the KeSRTC express.

Avoid SETC unless you want to experience slowness re-defined. Yes it is a 2 X 2 but some buses on the route are still stone age relics and old or new, they give "Crawling" a new dimension. There are some new buses also but don't know whether they go any faster.

From Gandhipuram there are KeSRTC buses atleast one an hour. I took a Trivandrum Super Fast. You don't have to use elbow power as there is a "reservation coupon" system where you go to the KeSRTC window at the bus stand and they will give you a coupon for 5 Rs where they mark a seat number. You pay the fare inside the bus. But your trolley bag may be a problem

If you are not in a big hurry, I suggest you travel on the Supaa Travels AC bus which leaves at 2.15 PM. Supaa is a well established long running (more than 20 years) operator on the Coimbatore Ernakulam route with a good reputation My wife and young kid had taken this bus on a different occasion (after flying in from BOM) and found it very comfortable. I could not take it when I travelled only because it was harthal in Kerala and private buses did not risk it that day. They have web booking option also through their own website. Bus goes via bypass.

aroonanand

For Guruvayoor Munnar, best bet is to come to Trissur and see if you can get a bus directly to Kothamangalam else take a bus going via MC road towards Kottayam side and get down at Perumbavoor. The Ernakulam Munnar buses route via Alwaye-Perumbavoor -Kothamangalam, so if you can cover Trichur Kothamangalam in a single jouney that is the quickest. Don't bother going to Aluva since buses are crowded and there will be no problem getting a bus directly to Perumbavoor from Trichur. Alternately check at KeSRTC Guruvayoor, about direct buses from Guruvayoor to Perumbavoor or even Kothamangalam.

Avoid taking the Kodungalloor Munnar bus. This bus operates at peak office time and will be jam-packed till Alwaye except on Sundays. In addition, if for some reason the bus doesn't operate (this is Sabarimala season where buses are often diverted for special trips), then you will be stranded at Kodungallor and have to come to Alwaye by very crowded local buses and most likely with one further change enroute at Paroor. Not worth the hassle. Go via Perumbavoor or Kothamangalam.
TKMCE is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 11:53   #3140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

Need some travel advice. I'm reaching Coimbatore airport at around 10.am on Saturday. What is the best way to travel to Thrissur. Im travelling alone so taxi will be pretty expensive at Rs 3000/-. Should I take the KSRTC or are there any private buses/Volvos available at around 11-12 ?
Best is to take a taxi or a rickshaw to Gandhipuram Bus Stand.Head straight to the KSRTC Platform.Buy the 5 rs coupon.Ukkadam Depot is good if you are going to Palakkad but not for Thrissur bound buses.The strolley bag can be accomodated in front next to the driver.Tell the conductor and they usually oblige.You can also tell the coupon issuer to issue you the single seat in front.However its going to be a long ride and some bad potholes!

The other option is to take a cab/rick to the Rly station and you can catch the BLR-Ekm Intercity Exp (No:12677) from CBE at 1300 and arrival TCR 1520.This is an easier option compared to the buses especially considering the state of the roads.You can while away your time in the station or start late from the airport.

Alternately,you could pm Mallumowgli for some other option that I have missed out on.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 19th November 2013 at 11:54.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 14:02   #3141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

Need some travel advice. I'm reaching Coimbatore airport at around 10.am on Saturday. What is the best way to travel to Thrissur. Im travelling alone so taxi will be pretty expensive at Rs 3000/-. Should I take the KSRTC or are there any private buses/Volvos available at around 11-12 ?
I would second what TKMCE said.

If you don't have a heavy luggage, it's easier to get city buses from outside CJB airport to Ukkadam, then get onto any KSRTC FP bus to Palakkad, and from Palakkad, another one to Thrissur.

Most of the SETC buses' condition is really not conducive for a comfortable trip, and they are slowness redefined.

EDIT:
Just saw ranjitp1's post. The train is also a good option IMO. You can have lunch and then relax in the railway station.

Last edited by silversteed : 19th November 2013 at 14:05.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 16:12   #3142
Senior - BHPian

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=202395

Another first from KSRTC ! Not sure how will they track all the buses , anyways might be a deterrent to driving rash
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 16:51   #3143
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post

Another first from KSRTC ! Not sure how will they track all the buses , anyways might be a deterrent to driving rash

What all innovation, time and costs ! Just because a human being driver who can easily do everything does not want to do it.
They could have just increased the fine amount to 10K rupees or something without spending on all this.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 16:53   #3144
BHPian

That a good tracking system provided you have maintain and monitor it ,but I am still afraid if it starts malfunctioning due to poor maintenance, many a times i see city bus drivers not stopping near a bus stop shelter , even when it is raining heavily , this data should be studied and help the teams to train the drivers better , also one important feature to have the bus timing display at every stop , so people know the live status of the next bus on that route , not sure why this is not increasingly being used in India .
Nanometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 19:58   #3145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post

This is a part of urban bus specification. The buses to be supplied as a part of JNnrum2 should have this feature. Now kaSRTC has extended that to regular buses.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 20:34   #3146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanometer View Post
That a good tracking system provided you have maintain and monitor it ,but I am still afraid if it starts malfunctioning due to poor maintenance, many a times i see city bus drivers not stopping near a bus stop shelter , even when it is raining heavily , this data should be studied and help the teams to train the drivers better , also one important feature to have the bus timing display at every stop , so people know the live status of the next bus on that route , not sure why this is not increasingly being used in India .
Nevertheless a good start. Yes they can do a lot of analytics on data collected. In addition to tracking erring drivers , this can also help on improving efficiency of services across routes. They can actually monitor driving patterns of drivers and actually decide on training programs.
I am into Analytics sales , looks like a good sales prospect to me
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 22:31   #3147
BHPian

I am currently in Mysore and was talking to a person who works with the agency, it seems that the auto scheduling of buses are under active trials and there has been a marked improvement in the efficiency of some routes and needs tweaking in the other routes. They had done a causal analysis and found that on certain routes , the frequency of buses were very high and the total yield had come down drastically.

Regarding the remote control/monitoring of buses , I think this being a pilot would be better for the corporation to understand in real time what the driver behavior as well as collecting good data for further changes to the preventive maintenance and scheduling algorithms.
mazda4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 23:39   #3148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Regarding the remote control/monitoring of buses , I think this being a pilot would be better for the corporation to understand in real time what the driver behavior as well as collecting good data for further changes to the preventive maintenance and scheduling algorithms.
Yes. Based on usage patterns , it is possible to predict breakdowns ( partial / complete ) , maintainence intervals , parts replacement/ upgrade .. Same way based on historical data on average time taken for a particular sector / route they can also think of revisiting schedules to suit traffic conditions. This is a very good initiative for sure and if tapped into intelligently , this data can actually work wonders
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 21:01   #3149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Operators with AC Sleeper services
So from this, my pick would be KaSRTC AC Sleeper, then Hindusthan and Greenline.
A little from the above quote though.

My in laws are travelling to Madurai - Rameswaram - Kanyakumari and back from Bangalore in the first week of Jan. They have all the legs of the journey now booked by train except for Madurai - Rameswaram which has very early morning trains. Their itinerary is fixed.

I had ready a blog I guess of Binai about a bus journey from Rameswaram to Madurai. However on checking the net and other booking sites there seems to be no Volvo service from Madurai - Rameswaram but ready some where that STC has hourly buses starting from main bus stand at Madurai.

Please suggest a Volvo service that runs between these two places. Else please suggest the best alternative/ operator that can be taken on this route and how to book it in advance (or not). help.
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 07:51   #3150
BHPian

How good one's experience in road travel by buses is so dependent on the driver was brought home recently. I had a chance to travel between Delhi and Ajmer by RSRTC multi axle Volvo recently. The 23:45 service started on time and was in Jaipur by 04:30. But then it took a break. They made us change buses owing to some fault in the first bus. The onward journey started at 5:00 and we reached Ajmer at the sceduled arrival time of 07:15.

I don't like going by road (unless ofcourse I am going by my own car) even if its a fancy 2x2 multi axle Volvo. I find the seats cramped and the ergonomics all wrong. To make it worse if the driver uses or rather abuses the horn, it really becomes the last straw. On the recent trip I actually noted that the drive was silent and therefore bearable at least till Jaipur. The second driver was ofcourse schooled in Ludhiana in the use of the horn. So much so that when I got down in Ajmer I actually took the driver aside and tried to explain to him that he honked too much. Naturally I got a standard reply that without honking no body gives way in India! Exactly the answers I got from three different taxi drivers in the two excrutiating days I spent in Ludhiana. My android Sound Level app recorded an incredible 90+ dB. Since no body is really listening I heard some cars and bikes with some specially loud and horribly nasty horns.

And I used to think that Delhi was bad.

Ok rant over.
LithiumSunset is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote