Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 19th January 2014, 18:28   #3196
BHPian

Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

A quick doubt. I have booked on 22.20 Ooty - Bangalore KSRTC Airavath. What is the expected time it will reach Bangalore? Will there be any delays due to closure of national park en route during night hours?
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 22:25   #3197
Senior - BHPian

The Ooty Volvo has a permit to cross the forest I think, you should not have any delays in your journey.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 18:23   #3198

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Yes, in fact there were very few options for AC travel on this sector earlier. Even the airavats were introduced much later. Now Ashoka also runs a well maintained Volvo B7R on this route.
Ashoka is the new 9100 and not B7R. I take these buses atleast twice a month. I agree with sandsun7 that they have managed to maintain the buses pretty well.
Vancho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 11:41   #3199
Senior - BHPian

Default Palakkad-Bangalore-Palakkad by KaSRTC Ambaari (Corona AC Sleeper)

I booked tickets for my parents in KaSRTC's AC sleeper buses, as i thought they would be better off travelling in a berth, than semi-sleeper seats, considering their age. I had travelled in both the sleeper services (Bangalore-Thrissur and Bangalore-Ekm) and found them decent, so I didn't have to think twice when there were no train tickets available.

Onward journey was in the 2015BNGTRC service on 24th Jan, scheduled to depart from Palakkad at 21:45hrs and arrive at Madiwala by 6:30. The actual departure time was however 22:50hrs, and they got off the bus at Silk Board junction at 06:50. The bus, KA-40-F-830, was swaying like a boat, and my parents were not very happy with it. I thought it must be the driving style, and didn't have any further concerns. It was unusual for a KaSRTC bus to make up for the time lost, so I was surprised and happy.

The return trip was booked in their Bangalore-Ekm service for monday, 27th Jan. The bus was scheduled to pick them up from E-city bus stop at 21:20, according to the website, but the boarding point in-charge said it usually arrives by 21:45hrs. The bus however reached at 21:36hrs, and got moving at 21:45hrs. The driver said the bus would reach Palakkad by 05:30hrs, but it reached by 05:15hrs itself, even though they stopped at Saravana Bhavan classic before Shoolagiri for a break. This was also a shocker to me.

However, the ride comfort was pathetic, as the bus KA-40-F-738 was rattling and my parents felt it would fall apart. Despite being in the lower berths, the boat-like swaying was very much present and it was not a smooth ride either.

I have made up my mind not to book these sleeper buses again. There are rumours that the Kerala SRTC will be getting some multi-axle Volvos. If these rumours turn into reality, I would probably not look at anything else.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 12:25   #3200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed
It was unusual for a KaSRTC bus to make up for the time lost, so I was surprised and happy......

.........The driver said the bus would reach Palakkad by 05:30hrs, but it reached by 05:15hrs itself, even though they stopped at Saravana Bhavan classic before Shoolagiri for a break. This was also a shocker to me.
Since the Avinashi stretch is completed, there is a considerable reduction in running time. We will make it much faster once the other legs also completed.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 14:27   #3201
Senior - BHPian

Default Bangalore to Palakkad in KSRTC Super Deluxe

After a very long gap, I travelled in a bus from Bangalore to Palakkad, and I did it in the Kerala SRTC 2100-Bangalore-Palakkad Super Deluxe service. I used to be a regular in this service, but the buses (RRC972 & RRC974) had aged so much that they weren't comfortable anymore. Now these buses have been replaced with brand new AL Vikings, I decided to try it out.

The bus crew were really excited, and the way they have done up the bus shows it. It looked like a disco on wheels, with all the blinking blue and green LED marker lights on the sides, and the red LED lamps on the front and rear.

Intercity Bus travel reviews-img_20140117_231010.jpg

Inside, a driver partition has been adeed, but the body-workshop forgot to note that leaving gaps would let noise into the passenger saloon through the driver's open window. But, it does cut off the glare from headlights of oncoming vehicles. The seats looked like they are refurbished ones, and not quite the right ones for a long trip. The cushioning could've been better, and a calf-support would be a welcome addition. The saloon lights are all LEDs. The AC plug point was working, but providing just two plug points just behind the driver partition is not sufficient. Reading lamps were provided, and they were working.

The ride was typical Leyland - a silent engine, and a comfortable ride. However, the bodywork leaves a lot to be desired. Many of the window glasses had started rattling, and the locking mechanisms only added to it. The driver and conductor, veterans in this route were cordial and they didn't hesitate to show their excitement when I asked them how they felt running the new bus. On telling them about the rattling sound, the driver asked me to show him the exact place, and he said he will get it fixed by the workshop.

About the trip - the bus arrived at Madiwala St. John's hospital junction at about 10 o'clock, 40 minutes behind schedule. Due to the thick friday night traffic, chugged along and reached Shoolagiri by 11:10. Filled fuel and left at 11:40pm. Soon I slipped into a nice sleep. The top speed I'd observed was 90kmph. Got dropped off at Palakkad KSRTC depot at 5:25am, 45 minutes ahead of the schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Since the Avinashi stretch is completed, there is a considerable reduction in running time. We will make it much faster once the other legs also completed.
True, but our Kerala SRTC was almost always on time despite leaving late from Bangalore while Ka SRTC never used to make up for the delays - when the Avinashi flyovers were under construction and Walayar was at its worst.
Old 30th January 2014, 17:00   #3202
BHPian

Silversteed, how is the seat in this bus? Is it 2+2 semisleeper or 3 + 2?

Arun
ArunV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 17:10   #3203
BHPian

Default Re: Palakkad-Bangalore-Palakkad by KaSRTC Ambaari (Corona AC Sleeper)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The bus, KA-40-F-830, was swaying like a boat

However, the ride comfort was pathetic, as the bus KA-40-F-738 was rattling and my parents felt it would fall apart. Despite being in the lower berths, the boat-like swaying was very much present and it was not a smooth ride either.

I have made up my mind not to book these sleeper buses again.
My experience with a sleeper bus was the same. Travelled from Udamalpet to Bangalore by a KPN AC Sleeper and the ride was not comfortable. Felt like I would fall off the berth anytime ! Would prefer seater coaches anyday !
aroonanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 17:36   #3204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV

Arun
Its 2x2 push back

Ride comfort is mostly better in shorter routes. They tend to drive rash on longer routes due to time constraints.
Old 30th January 2014, 17:54   #3205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post

Arun
Arun, all KSRTC Super Deluxe buses have 40 push-back seats in 2+2 configuration. IIRC, only the Super Deluxe buses with "Hi-Tech" bodies had proper semi-sleeper seats, complete with calf support.

Super Express buses have 2+3 seating, while a few Super Expresses have 2+2 seating. No push-back, yet very comfortable for long distance trips.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 18:03   #3206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Arun, all KSRTC Super Deluxe buses have 40 push-back seats in 2+2 configuration. IIRC, only the Super Deluxe buses with "Hi-Tech" bodies had proper semi-sleeper seats, complete with calf support.

Super Express buses have 2+3 seating, while a few Super Expresses have 2+2 seating. No push-back, yet very comfortable for long distance trips.
Pramod, what is this Hi Tech bus? Are they with KeSRTC? I never travelled in a KeSRTC with calf support.

I travelled in a 2+3 Super deluxe fron Trivandrum two years back and it was a semi puah back.
Old 30th January 2014, 18:52   #3207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
what is this Hi Tech bus? Are they with KeSRTC? I never travelled in a KeSRTC with calf support.
A pic is worth a thousand words:

Name:  P1260611.JPG
Views: 4247
Size:  87.2 KB
Image Credit: binaiks/SSC Forums

My first trip in one such buses was from Kottayam to Bangalore, in 2005/6. It was a very comfortable trip IIRC.

These buses had their bodywork done from Irizar-TVS (like the one in the pic), Sakthi, Popular, etc. The corporation claimed that these bodies were better for FE, as they were lightweight and also more comfortable as they were not using sheet metal extensively, to cause rattles.

Quote:
I travelled in a 2+3 Super deluxe fron Trivandrum two years back and it was a semi puah back.
Jain, are you sure it was a Super Deluxe, and not Super Express?

Last edited by silversteed : 30th January 2014 at 18:54.
Old 3rd February 2014, 21:52   #3208
BHPian

I travelled in KeSRTC Trivandrum-Bangalore Volvo bus on 2nd Feb. Boarded from Thrissur bus stand at 10:30 PM (scheduled time 10:10 PM) and reached Silk Board junction at around 7 AM. Overall the drive was smooth and the speed never went above 85 km/h, as per my mobile GPS. There were two drivers, and there was a break at around 3:30 AM at some restaurant with toilet facility near Salem.
motorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 22:30   #3209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Jain, are you sure it was a Super Deluxe, and not Super Express?
Thanks Pramod for that snap.
Sorry, it was a Super Express only!
Old 9th February 2014, 21:31   #3210
BHPian

On a recent trip from Bangalore to Kozhikode by KaSRTC Volvo bus (starting from Shanthinagar at 11:21), I was surprised to see that there was no conductor in the bus, but only a single driver. The driver did the ticket checking; he even distributed water bottles to all passengers before the bus started. The bus reached the forest checkpost at around 3 AM and stopped there till 5:45 AM. Finally reached Kozhikode bus stand at 9:15 AM.
motorsan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote