Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 23:42   #316
BHPian
 
kadri007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore/Mangalore
Posts: 433
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

I heard from my bus agent that in Karnataka no new permits will be given to seater cum sleeper coach buses.

Either they can have only sleeper or only seater buses. My bus agent told some of the new buses launched in Bangalore - Mangalore route recently are 2+2 seaters. Since only sleeper is not working out for bus owners.
kadri007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 01:05   #317
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: KL-08 / KL-01
Posts: 2,446
Thanked: 1,083 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
UFO services between Kochi and Calicut twice in a day. From Kochi at 05.30am and 10.30pm. From Calicut, its 05.00am and 12.00 midnight.

Both morning services are 17 seater push back tempo traveler and other trips in A/c buses. Fare for morning trip is Rs. 200 and for night, its 280.00

You may contact them on 9895077701
Great , thank you for the information
foby.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 01:17   #318
Team-BHP Support
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,414
Thanked: 1,627 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold class View Post
With regards to travelling in a volvo multi axle and benz multi axle, i would rate benz multi axle a scale up comparing with volvo. The B9R looks good on a exterior view.But benz have good interiors and the passenger confort is high in benz. For Eg: the volvo have two air balloons in front and four at rear axle. But for benz it has two air balloons plus two telescopic shock absorbers in front and four shock absorbers at rear. This incereases the inside comfort that passenger feels while going through a bad streach of road.
@goldclass, does the Mercedes have independent front suspension or is it a solid axle?
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 10:15   #319
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7,733
Thanked: 2,631 Times
Question Sharma Travels reviews?

How are the reviews like regarding Sharma Travels?

I have never used their services, and didnt even know they had services connecting Bangalore to places in Kerala. I always assumed they were more towards Maharashtra and the likes.

My wife's cousin who used their services to commute from Mundakayam in Kerala to Bangalore and back had good words about them, especially with regards to their punctuality and cleanliness.

unni.ak who had seen Sharma's buses on the highway mentioned they were very well driven.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th January 2010 at 10:16.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 12:50   #320
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,779
Thanked: 498 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
How are the reviews like regarding Sharma Travels?
My experiences with Sharma Transports is very good. Buses were clean and the staff behaved well. Only issue I noticed was that they carry lot of luggage!! But they are the pioneers in introducing new models.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 02:04   #321
BHPian
 
gold class's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 90
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
@goldclass, does the Mercedes have independent front suspension or is it a solid axle?

Am not much sure about this. I heard this from the mechanic who works for benz coaches. Anyway will let you know soon.
gold class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 01:36   #322
Senior - BHPian
 
navan49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 1,010
Thanked: 68 Times
Default

The good private bus service from Chennai Madurai I found was KPN. They have push back 2X2 bus as well as Volvo Ac. They take around 10 to 11 hours for 490 kms during night. They don't run during day.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 09:39   #323
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kerala
Posts: 627
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
How are the reviews like regarding Sharma Travels?
Have travelled with Sharma a few times. Their drivers drive extremely smoothly which helps the quality of sleep (atleast in my case)! They are open to feedback regarding hotels/loos etc offered during the trip.

They have a team just for collecting feedback. They once had interviewed us on a trip from Bangalore to Kottayam. The entire feedback was audio recorded to avoid tampering!

Overall I would say Sharma takes their business seriously.

BTW, didn't know that they have buses from Bangalore to Mundakayam.

Last edited by Trapezio : 4th February 2010 at 09:41.
Trapezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 09:45   #324
BHPian
 
freewheelburnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 272
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Sharma travels maintain their buses well and quite punctual.I have travelled in their volvo buses couple of times and found it to be good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Have travelled with Sharma a few times. Their drivers drive extremely smoothly which helps the quality of sleep (atleast in my case)! They are open to feedback regarding hotels/loos etc offered during the trip.

They have a team just for collecting feedback. They once had interviewed us on a trip from Bangalore to Kottayam. The entire feedback was audio recorded to avoid tampering!

Overall I would say Sharma takes their business seriously.

BTW, didn't know that they have buses from Bangalore to Mundakayam.
freewheelburnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 10:21   #325
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7,733
Thanked: 2,631 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Overall I would say Sharma takes their business seriously.
Now that is good to know as a customer. I had booked tickets for my wife's cousin from their office at Madiwala and the slightly aged person who was at the counter was very friendly and also accomodating to requests. The best part was an SMS in an instant informing us of the ticket booked, the time, as well as seat number! I'm impressed.

Compare this to the Kallada travels counter in Madiwala where you literally need to be begged to be acknowledged. A case of success getting to their heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
BTW, didn't know that they have buses from Bangalore to Mundakayam.
Has been there for a while, and both the to and fro buses are new, well-maintained and clean.

In fact, when i was told Sharma operated on this route, i argued with my cousin saying it must be Shama which he incorrectly thought was Sharma. I was proved wrong.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 10:33   #326
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,072
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Compare this to the Kallada travels counter in Madiwala where you literally need to be begged to be acknowledged. A case of success getting to their heads.
, many times felt that Kallada travels customer interface is not great. Their staff do not engage the customer properly. Buses usually reach the Madivala pick up office 1+ hour late. My arrival at TVM has been late regularly atleast by 1 hour. But yes, compared to others running trips to TVM, Kallada are more reliable.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 11:05   #327
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 441
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

I think Sharma Travels may be a Bangalore based company because the owner was introduced to me as an alumnus of Baldwin Boys School.

A couple years ago I took a Non-AC Overnighter to Kerala on Sharma Travels when I couldn't get a seat elsewhere. Even I was surprised that they had services to Kerala.

Few recollections from that trip:
  • The bus is clean and utilitarian.
  • The bus driver drove the bus at a steady/ sedate pace. He didn't overtake much and perhaps resultantly didn't slam on the brakes. There was no screaming sound from the engine. Overall I felt safe and slept well.
  • The bus stopped at a decent small restaurant for dinner that had clean toilets and reasonable food. It wasn't one of those food plazas where scores of buses stop.
  • Next day early morning at the Walayar checkpost the driver stopped the bus, got down, walked up to the RTO office and then came back after half an hour. I could see all the other buses whizzing by without stopping. When I asked the bus driver, he replied that their company does not have an "arrangement" with the checkpost. I like that attitude!
  • Some hours later I reached Thrissur before the ETA. So all-in-all, a no hassle professional service. They leave at the scheduled time, reach at the scheduled time without making their passengers hold on to their dear lives.

Based on your wife's cousin's experience I guess they haven't changed much since then. In that case I would heartily recommend them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
How are the reviews like regarding Sharma Travels?

I have never used their services, and didnt even know they had services connecting Bangalore to places in Kerala. I always assumed they were more towards Maharashtra and the likes.

My wife's cousin who used their services to commute from Mundakayam in Kerala to Bangalore and back had good words about them, especially with regards to their punctuality and cleanliness.

unni.ak who had seen Sharma's buses on the highway mentioned they were very well driven.
nowwhat? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 11:07   #328
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7,733
Thanked: 2,631 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
, many times felt that Kallada travels customer interface is not great. Their staff do not engage the customer properly. Buses usually reach the Madivala pick up office 1+ hour late. My arrival at TVM has been late regularly atleast by 1 hour. But yes, compared to others running trips to TVM, Kallada are more reliable.
Here are some among the many other instances of Kallada's not-so-great service from Bangalore-Kerala and vice-versa :
  • We had to see-off our maid who had to leave for her place in Kerala for 3 days. The ticket was from Kallada, and she hasnt been outside Kerala earlier. Since we had another appointment to rush to, we dropped her at the madiwala counter, and my wife requested one of the counter staff to please inform the maid when the bus arrives. He rudely replied, "Thats none of our business". Ofcourse, it isnt. But basic ourtesy would mean you could put that across in a nice manner. We arent travelling for free, anyway and we are also a regular customer.
  • The Volve service to Adoor is ALWAYS late to leave from Bangalore. The reporting time is 6:15PM, for bus to leave at 6:45PM. Bus however has arrived on more than one occassion at 7:45PM. This is for the B9R.
  • I once had a Volvo ticket which mentioned a specific seat number for me, which was also mentioned on the boarding pass which i collected from their office on the day of travel. I board the bus only to realize that there is a girl sitting on the seat allotted to me, and her mother beside her. I show her my ticket, she shows me hers. We have the same seats allotted. I contact driver who acknowledges the blunder, and asks to wait while he sorts out things. Finally am given another window seat. Why then do they make all these silly calls to other offices at the time of booking if they cannot guarantee an allotted seat?
  • Returning from Adoor to Bangalore, the ancient B7R breaks down at Kottayam, right in the middle of the town as the bus could not be started using the self-start. There was a major jam and commotion as the bus had to be allowed to roll back on a slope to get it started. Not before half the town was shouting abuses.
  • On the same trip mentioned above, bus has a puncture. No problem, one would say.. but then comes the surprise that the spare also isnt proper! We, the passengers get a nice chance to bond considering we waited for 1 and a half hours for the spare to arrive.. all this with the engine running as turning it off would mean the bus has to be push-started again.
I'd be glad to add more, since i see no scope of them improving anytime soon. Where's the competition, i say?
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 11:36   #329
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,072
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Here are some among the many other instances of Kallada's not-so-great service from Bangalore-Kerala and vice-versa :
...
I'd be glad to add more, since i see no scope of them improving anytime soon. Where's the competition, i say?
Let me add one more.
  • Kallada buses leave TVM at around 4PM to Bangalore. They pick up passengers from Kollam, Alapuzha, EKM. Dinner halt is near Angamaali at around 10PM, at their destined restaurant. By the time they stop for dinner, this restaurant has almost done with their business and we are served only the rubbery version of Kerala (B)Parotta. No other choice left. I have seen other passengers going hungry, not happy with the limited menu on this hotel. Why can't Kallada stop for dinner near EKM? It has been this way since last 'n' years, IIRC.
Competition? Well, the less said about others the better.
Others (KPN, KSRTC) follows the same routine for dinner, at the same restaurant. Once I had my dinner at around 11:30PM. Definitely, 10PM is better than 11:30PM for some one who got into the bus at 4PM. With KPN, once I reached BLR at 12:00 noon the next day. Supposed arrival time was 7AM.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 12:17   #330
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 441
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Where's the competition, i say?
I am surprised you say this since every self-respecting Malayali knows "There is no competition in Kerala".

Why do you think the meals, lime soda, fruit salad, bus fare and even the price of sugiyan is the same? The price of everything is standard pretty much anywhere in Kerala. All these people are in it together.

Unless you got your maid a few years ago, chances are that you're paying the standard salary for a Malayali maid outside Kerala which is right now 5K and due to be 5.5K soon. Its the same pay regardless of whether the maid is experienced or inexperienced and whether she knows cooking or not. The maid agencies all have an association and they fix the salaries, etc. Most, if not all, all workers/ professions belong to some union and most businesses belong to some association.

The biggest threat to all these bus companies is Indian Railways and the bus lobby has been successfully fending that off for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Let me add one more.
  • Kallada buses leave TVM at around 4PM to Bangalore. They pick up passengers from Kollam, Alapuzha, EKM. Dinner halt is near Angamaali at around 10PM, at their destined restaurant. By the time they stop for dinner, this restaurant has almost done with their business and we are served only the rubbery version of Kerala (B)Parotta. No other choice left. I have seen other passengers going hungry, not happy with the limited menu on this hotel. Why can't Kallada stop for dinner near EKM? It has been this way since last 'n' years, IIRC.
Competition? Well, the less said about others the better.
Others (KPN, KSRTC) follows the same routine for dinner, at the same restaurant. Once I had my dinner at around 11:30PM. Definitely, 10PM is better than 11:30PM for some one who got into the bus at 4PM. With KPN, once I reached BLR at 12:00 noon the next day. Supposed arrival time was 7AM.
I guess you are referring to the "Kallada Restaurant and Bar" in Kodakara. Imagine my plight when I catch a bus from Chalakudy only to sit 20 minutes later in a restaurant that serves only parotta, egg curry and drinks.

Kallada is based out of Irinjalakuda where I live and I have heard rumours for many, many years about how the buses are primarily a front to transport spirits from Bangalore. Not sure if its true though.
nowwhat? is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OneSideTaxi.com: One-way taxi for intercity travel girishglg Street Experiences 4 25th January 2016 14:04
Intercity Bus Operations - Bubble waiting to burst? Ashley2 Commercial Vehicles 38 27th January 2013 13:06
POLL: Your dealmaker for an Intercity Bus Trip TheARUN Commercial Vehicles 15 1st September 2012 05:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks