Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 29th March 2016, 07:32   #3631
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Puttur - Bangalore on 3/27 by Karnataka State Transport's Rajahamsa service. This was a special service between Mangalore - Bangalore via Puttur, Hassan. Departure time from Puttur was 10PM.

Had taken the day train to Puttur on the morning of 3/25 to spend the long weekend with my uncle. This is a journey one must do. The section between Sakleshpur and Subramanya Road is beautiful. It had been many years I wanted to do the run by train ever since railways resumed operations on this line. The weather isn't great at this time and this section of line will be more beautiful just after the rains.

Anyway; for the return, I had tickets booked on the overnight train and only one ticket got confirmed. Had no choice but to catch a bus back. As it turns out, every service out of Puttur was full. The state transport introduced one additional service to clear the rush. I booked the last 3 seats that were available, right at the back. Asked my mother to take the train as it was her ticket that got confirmed. She was a little hesitant cause she has never done a overnight journey alone. It was now me, my wife and our 4 year old son. The additional seat booked for my mother turned out to be handy later on, for my son.

The bus had already arrived when we got to the Puttur bus stand. Little to be said of what a Rajahamsa service is. Push back fabric seats and no air conditioning. Got a TATA chassis based bus. Settled in and waited for departure. The journey started really slow and with a very annoying driver. He just would not down shift when there was a need. Kept dragging the bus as much as he could and it was only when the engine was almost giving up, he would drop a gear. This is how it went all the way till Sakleshpur Town bus stand. All this combined with mechanical play in the drive train and associated components lead to a whole lot of noises during each gear shift. We were being over taken by everything. Our speed rarely went above 70Kmph. On the Shiradi ghats, we were down to 30Kmph. Pulled over for a 10 minute break at Sakleshpur Bus stand and I guess there was a crew change too. The bus stand was super busy. I counted around 50 buses of various services, all from KaSrtc, coming in. I did not spot any multi axle buses. Quite a lot of Corona sleeper services. After Saklespur, things got interesting. We seemed to have got a new driver or the same driver, who was behind the wheel, got a booster shot. This time around, gear shifts were proper and the driver used all the power that was available. These Tata buses are seriously boring. An engine note that does not excite and a hopeless exhaust note too. This noiseless experience seems to have filtered down the Leyland's too. Quite of lot of private services were over taking us effortlessly and they all appeared to be Leyland's minus that epic exhaust noise or screaming engine.

It felt like we were bordering around 90Kmph and that is when it felt like the the bus was probably built off a truck chassis. It did not feel like there was any suspension at all. We were being tossed around for the smallest undulations on the road, even on the Hassan - Bangalore four lane road, which is smooth. As a result, none of us could sleep well. It was starting to get nervous too.

We pulled in to Majestic Bus stand at around 530am. It was madness. So many arrivals and possibly departures taking place at the same time. We got off a little before the bus came to its final stop point. There was a traffic jam inside the bus stand. Had we waited, it seemed like another half an hour would have been lost.

I would recommend the Rajahamsa service only as a last resort. Apart from the pointless curtains, fabric seats and the ability to recline them, I wonder if the service is any more comfortable or faster than the Sarige service. On reaching home, I was wondering if I should drop my pants outside the front door, for fear of bed bugs. Yes; the fabric seats are soiled and with the windows open all the time, you can imagine the kind of dust on them.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 08:27   #3632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I would recommend the Rajahamsa service only as a last resort. Apart from the pointless curtains, fabric seats and the ability to recline them, I wonder if the service is any more comfortable or faster than the Sarige service. On reaching home, I was wondering if I should drop my pants outside the front door, for fear of bed bugs. Yes; the fabric seats are soiled and with the windows open all the time, you can imagine the kind of dust on them.
My friend calls it a "Rajahimsa" service. Worst possible service from KSRTC, and usually the slowest on every route. The fastest is, surprisingly, most often Sariges (or Expresses). Airavats are a hit or miss - some depots are fast, some are crawlers.
binaiks is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 08:50   #3633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
My friend calls it a "Rajahimsa" service. Worst possible service from KSRTC, and usually the slowest on every route. The fastest is, surprisingly, most often Sariges (or Expresses). Airavats are a hit or miss - some depots are fast, some are crawlers.
Sir, can you confirm if the buses stick to schedule given in their website? I mean, I can understand the buses starting a little late from the source but do they generally keep up the time mentioned for arrival at the destination?

The Club Class services generally do arrive on time despite any short delays on the route but they are already given a big buffer time. Most privates do their journey in 6 hrs flat while only one of KSRTC does that, to Chennai.

Was thinking of taking the normal Airavat and hence the query.
SchumiFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 09:22   #3634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Sir, can you confirm if the buses stick to schedule given in their website? I mean, I can understand the buses starting a little late from the source but do they generally keep up the time mentioned for arrival at the destination?

The Club Class services generally do arrive on time despite any short delays on the route but they are already given a big buffer time. Most privates do their journey in 6 hrs flat while only one of KSRTC does that, to Chennai.

Was thinking of taking the normal Airavat and hence the query.

If its a 4 lane road, then generally +/- 30 minutes of scheduled time. On two lanes, no guarantee. Airavats are generally slower than Airavat Club Classes. KSRTC is a drag on most routes - they crawl all the way to the destination, and day services waste a lot of time in breaks. They talk of convenience to passengers, but end up stopping at wayside bakeries instead.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 16:30   #3635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Hebron had decent reviews on being timely and decent so had booked Hebron 9 PM Volvo Multi Axle towards Ernakulam. Turned out to be an eventful journey though.

On a side note, there was news of few buses being fined/seized for issues with Permit. Does anyone here know what the issue was and what buses got affected?
In my opinion the most reliable service in Chennai ~ Ernakulam stretch is SRM volvo multi-axle. But then for a Palakkad drop this service might be a bit early. On all my trips I've noticed that they reach Palakkad between 4 and 4:30 AM.
For a return service all of these service are either a hit or a miss due to the fact all these service have to cover the evening traffic in Kerala NH which is known for very less average speed.
I was told by a booking agency that the last weekend fine was on special services plying with weekly permit and not on regular services, the KPN you were on might be a weekend special service.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 18:49   #3636
BANNED

Mangalore - Bangalore KSRTC fly bus
I was disappointed. During booking, I thought the seats must be different since the bus had only 40 seats. But its no different from a regular multi axle volvo. ( They lost 9 seats because the last row was converted to co driver sleep and 4 seats lost due to toilet). The NVH level was very bad. There was rattling too due to the individual LED tvs ( which anyway are useless). While getting down, I noticed that the area near toilet was stinking. (Not that bad. But still..). I wonder how people manage to sit near that area. Luckily I got the last row.
Plus points: It was on time and reached Bangalore by 4 AM. He never stopped anywhere for break.
I will never take this bus again.
adithya.kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 20:26   #3637
BHPian

Question Re: VRL B'lore - M'bai.

How's the VRL Multi-Axle Volvo Semi Sleeper service from Bangalore to Mumbai?

Well, because of short notice, had to book myself onto this service.

Any suggestions/advice.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th April 2016 at 08:03. Reason: SMS lingo
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 21:24   #3638
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: VRL B'lore - M'bai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Howz the VRL Multi-Axle Volvo Semi Sleeper service from B'lore to Mumbai?

Well, coz of short notice had to book myself onto this service.

Any suggestions/advice.
Generally VRL services are good. They have replaced their buses with new buses on quite some routes. They are slower than competition, but stop at cleaner places (mostly owned by VRL) and stick to timings.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 13:18   #3639
BHPian

Travelled using two different services for the first time last weekend.

Bangalore-Chennai Seabird

This bus apparently comes from Madikeri and was supposed to pick us up at 11:30 near the start of Madiwala underpass. This is the last of the few buses that go to Chennai on a particular day.

But being a long weekend, Madiwala was crowded to the hilt. The bus was late by an hour and when we crossed Silk Board, it was 1AM. The reason was that there was heavy traffic inside city.

The other issue was that there were 20 more passengers waiting for one more service from Seabird at that point with no information on when the bus would come.

Got dropped off at Malar Hospital at 7 instead of Thiruvanmiyur since they were running late.

That is the last time I would probably use their service. Booked it as it goes till Adyar but it's not worth all this trouble.

Chennai Bangalore Asian Xpress

This was a very new operator with just one bus (I guess) leaving Bangalore in the afternoon and taking off from Chennai that night. It had GPS tracking and regular messages were sent about the location of the bus helping me plan my start accordingly.

The bus is a brand new B9r with iShift. It was noticeably calmer than many other Volvos I have travelled in the bus. I am not sure if this was the work of the transmission or the fact that it was a month old bus.

We started from Adyar at 10 and reached T.Nagar and Koyambedu to pickup more passengers. The bus was stationed at CMBT for a good 25 minutes. It had reached early and there were some passengers who didn't turn up at the location at the said time.

Reached Madiwala at 5 in the morning without much fuss. Would definitely take the service again for its relative low cost and punctuality although the tour of Chennai could be avoided.

A couple of things for all operators; Chennai - Bangalore is a relatively a very short route. Add to the fact that passengers are picked up till Krishnagiri some times, makes it even more difficult to get some sleep.

Secondly, if the crew can have a conversation in the lowest possible tone, it would help as well, not to mention reducing the abnormal levels of volume of their mobile ringtone.

The 10PM Hebron is probably the right service for me. It starts pretty early and reaches CMBT by 4. No point wasting hours at night waiting for the bus to arrive just because it goes further into the city.
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2016, 00:28   #3640
BHPian

Default KPN staff fighiting with customers

I never liked KPN and always wonder how they are still in business with their substandard service.
Got is as a FB share today. The video is in Tamil and shows the KPN employee arguing with customers. https://www.facebook.com/Kaipulla/vi...62319/?fref=nf

Last edited by Jaguar : 17th April 2016 at 00:29.
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 08:12   #3641
BHPian

I am travelling to Bangalore from Pune next week and I have booked 1705PNABNG service of KSRTC with Boarding point at Nigadi PMC bus Stand. I am new to Pune can someone please guide where exactly this boarding point is located? Also what is the realistic time that this will reach Bangalore in the morning? Also does this drop me in Shantinagar BS?
venki.bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 11:24   #3642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
I am travelling to Bangalore from Pune next week and I have booked 1705PNABNG service of KSRTC with Boarding point at Nigadi PMC bus Stand. I am new to Pune can someone please guide where exactly this boarding point is located? Also what is the realistic time that this will reach Bangalore in the morning? Also does this drop me in Shantinagar BS?
1705PNABNG service of KSRTC , starts from Nigdi from bus stop below the flyover, near Nishant Travels office. The timing from Nigdi is 15.30.
The bus goes via Chinchwad, Aundh, and then to Swargate bus stand. It starts from Swargate at 17.05.

It takes a coffee break(unnecessary) at hotel Natraj at Khed shivapur at around 18.00 hrs.
Dinner halt is at Hotel Navmi near Karad at around 21-21.30.
Bus doesn't go inside any city on the way. Still they never reach Bangalore on time. I have reached Bangalore at around 08.00 on couple of occasions. After that I stopped using KSRTC service.
Now a days, this service is Diamond class Scania service.
I have no idea about the Shanthinagar drop, as I always get down at Yeswanthpur.

Cheers,
AB
coriollis is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 22:50   #3643
BHPian

I did a Hyd-Thrissur trip last week by Kallada 3pm Volvo. Kallada has around 13 schedules in this route, but as expected they are still confusions galore. They use the classic FIFO method to allot buses and this results in a lot of confusion for the crew as well as the passengers. For eg: the Volvo that I booked was 3pm to Ekm, whereas the one to Kottayam at 1:45 never arrived. So when as Volvo came everyone assumed that this was the first one to Kottayam and one of the local office boy also said so. The senior driver however refused to go to Kottayam and declined to board any passengers till he got a confirmation from Head Office. So all of us were left stranded in the sun, because he bluntly refused to open the doors. Anyway sense prevailed, he got permission to take only Ekm passengers, started an hour late, but reached Tsr dot on time , and even overtook Aeon, KPN and another Kallada Tvm service all before crossing Anantpur.

So if you want a thrilling unpredictable ride, opt for Kallada, otherwise Aeon remains the best bet.

Last edited by autotranny : 8th May 2016 at 22:52.
autotranny is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 23:32   #3644
BHPian

I travel from ERNAKULAM to TRIVANDRUM on most week ends. I usually take the train's AC chair cars or drive. But took the KSRTC(Kerala) VOLVO low floor bus and sat next to the driver's seat.

We started off from Vytilla at around 1.30 pm and the driver drove that bus almost like an ambulance. The driving of ksrtc bus drivers is notorious.

KSRTC drivers boast that they have better speed records than the other KSRTC and TSRTC buses but they push their luck too far and end up in big incidents.

This bus despite having quite a lot of stops, completed the journey in about 6 hours that too in dense traffic.

There were heart stopping moments and the driver was a friendly guy and would smile at me after taking that odd blind corner or charging on to on coming traffic with headlights on.

So fellow Bhpians please learn about this bus's timmings so that you may not encounter this while driving and on a lighter note who neads a roller coaster when KSRTC is offering things much better

Bottom line- Trains like Vanchinad is still the best option between ERNAKULAM and TVM if you are not driving
Captain Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 09:36   #3645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
I travel from ERNAKULAM to TRIVANDRUM on most week ends. I usually take the train's AC chair cars or drive. But took the KSRTC(Kerala) VOLVO low floor bus and sat next to the driver's seat.

We started off from Vytilla at around 1.30 pm and the driver drove that bus almost like an ambulance. The driving of ksrtc bus drivers is notorious.
I have taken this service from Vytilla as well and the 1330 service from Vytilla is the one which originates from Palakkad. 6 hours is pretty well standard between Ernakulam and Trivandrum , which makes it a whopping average speed of 37 km/hour or so. Looking at the increasing number of accidents of private operators services to Kerala, this is not a bad option providied you can put up with the crawling.

That said, personally I would avoid these KeSRTC Low FLoor Volvos on routes like Trivandrum to Ernakulam. Fares are higher than Multi Axle Volvos, they stop at far too many places (during my last trip sone one boarded from PMG and got down at Karyavattom- on a Trivandrum Ernakulam long sistance service ), no luggage racks and ofcourse , non reclinable seats. Worst of all they allow standing oassengers. As soon as these buses enter a bus station, the short distance passengers rush in, the conductors do not make any efort to call out for longer distance passengers first to fill the vacant seats (as they used to do in the old TTC services ), and in the end you may end up standing half the distance while short distance passengers merrily occupy the available seats. Advance seat reservations are available only on some services. However seat reservation coupons are also not given for those services starting from Trivandrum (it is given out for many other long distance services 30 minutes before departure), which again means elbow power rules the roost unless you book in advaance.

These low floor services should be used more on shorter trips like Trivandrum Kollam or Ernakulam Trichur. One such route on which this has been done is Ernakulam Moovatupuzha where there are frequent services and they are well patronised.

KeSRTC has also deployed Scanias on some longer routes. Trivandrum Coimbatore, Trivandrum Mangalore and Trivandrum Mysore have now Scania service along with the ones on Alleppy Bangalore. Here again, the logic of operating the 0400 services from Trivandrum to Coimbatore on a Scania while the far more convient service at 0700 is operated with a Super Fast is some thing stange.
TKMCE is offline   Reply With Quote