Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2011, 09:49   #631
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,779
Thanked: 498 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Yesterday, my brother traveled from Chennai to Kochi by Sona travels Isuzu bus.

The boarding point was in front of Sangita travels, near hotel Buhari Complex, Opp Central RLY STN at 6pm. Upon reaching there, they sent him to Koyambedu in an auto and finally left Koyambedu after 8pm.

The bus went via Krishnagiri and reached Angamaly at 6.45am which was a faster ride compared to those Volvos via Pondy.

The fare was Rs. 950.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 10:43   #632
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 412
Thanked: 344 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
AFAIK, they have this phone booking facility for this bus. You can call up the conductor to block a seat for you. Please get in touch with the reservation counter at Bangalore to get the crew's number - not sure of this facility, but I vaguely remember reading this somewhere.

Came by this bus- the Thiruvalla super delux yesterday night to Aluva - late by one hour only because of traffic and crew waiting further down nesr Electronic City for a couple of guys who missed the bus at Madiwala but was going al the way to Tiruvalla. Safe driving and courteous crw as usual Still reached Alwaye by 6 AM. Let me try this on the way back - bus is scheduled to leave EKM at 0450 PM and I am going back on a weekday.

Cool Clouds - How can I get the mobile no?? Should I ring the Tiruvalla depot or will the Ekm KSRTC guys help??? I have to board from Alwaye.
Worst comes since I am travelling light, I can take any bus to Trichur and hopefully get the 8 PM or 9 PM Kerala AC Globus from their but their reliability is nowadays dramatically goinhg down. Yesterday (even being a Fri) the BLR Kottayam AC service did not operrate and neither did (I think) the 1930 TCR AC service (the 2200 was showing on the wbesite).
TKMCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 11:01   #633
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 412
Thanked: 344 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Yesterday, my brother traveled from Chennai to Kochi by Sona travels Isuzu bus.

The boarding point was in front of Sangita travels, near hotel Buhari Complex, Opp Central RLY STN at 6pm. Upon reaching there, they sent him to Koyambedu in an auto and finally left Koyambedu after 8pm.

The bus went via Krishnagiri and reached Angamaly at 6.45am which was a faster ride compared to those Volvos via Pondy.

The fare was Rs. 950.

I used to do this route about 10 years back- Chennai- Kochi. Not too man y operators at that time. KPN had a 2x 1 Non Ac, SRM (they used to operate then also ) had a 2 x 2 Non AC and the most reliable was the one (dont remeber the name - I think they wound up) who were handled by Ensign at Jos Junction and used to leave sharp at 4.30 Pm and used to reach around 7 AM. But since all these buses catered to the Coimbatore crowd as well, at that time train was always the better option esp the Trivandrum mail which took 12 hours and was more convenient (no multi axle volvos then). There was only one route - the normal chennai- tambaram- chengelput-villupuram - salem- coimbatore- route (no Pondy or Krishnagiri routes).

Sona travels ia a long established operator based out of Alwaye. They are more professional than most others . . Once when a bus i booked through them got into an accident, they promptly arranged to put hus in a following bus (only for those who booked through Sona) and more importantly were available on phone all the time (the crew of hte bus were clueless and the main bus operator contacts all became inaccessible).

One thing I like is they are also very TRANSPARENT about charging sky high rates in peak dates like after new year /xmas retc (the COK BLR volvos go upto 1400 on Multi Axle) but they show it clearly in their website.
TKMCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 11:57   #634
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,779
Thanked: 498 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post

Cool Clouds - How can I get the mobile no?? Should I ring the Tiruvalla depot or will the Ekm KSRTC guys help??? I have to board from Alwaye.
You may call Tiruvalla depot (0469 2602945) and ask for the cell number of today's crew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
I used to do this route about 10 years back- Chennai- Kochi. Not too man y operators at that time. KPN had a 2x 1 Non Ac, SRM (they used to operate then also ) had a 2 x 2 Non AC and the most reliable was the one (dont remeber the name - I think they wound up) who were handled by Ensign at Jos Junction and used to leave sharp at 4.30 Pm and used to reach around 7 AM.
Thanks for reminding all those days.
You may be referring to SMP travels which was operating from Ensigh taxis. Other operators were Ashirwad travels (Jos Jn), Oasis (Warriam Road) and SRM (Operated by Ashirwad)

Also there were some operators R P David etc, long back from Marine Drive.
My first bus travel to Chennai was in a 36 seater Thiruvallur transport corp. bus leaving Ernakulam at 3.30pm and the fare was about Rs. 70 !
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 12:48   #635
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,694
Thanked: 771 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
I can take any bus to Trichur and hopefully get the 8 PM or 9 PM Kerala AC Globus from their but their reliability is nowadays dramatically goinhg down.
Very true... on most weekdays, both the services are cancelled. The buses are showing their age, and the half-dead horses are being flogged more. The TSR-BLR service was one of the most successful AC services of KeSRTC, and the buses used to be kept well, and most importantly - they were punctual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
Yesterday (even being a Fri) the BLR Kottayam AC service did not operrate and neither did (I think) the 1930 TCR AC service (the 2200 was showing on the wbesite).
The Kottayam service is "on-and-off". They are running with a single bus these days, and hence reservation is not offered ex-Bangalore. The usual alternative bus is a 55 seater Super Express. Same with the 1930 TSR service. I guess the 1830 Kottayam and 1930 TSR are cancelled on alternative days - since the same spare bus is used for both services!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
Once when a bus i booked through them got into an accident, they promptly arranged to put hus in a following bus (only for those who booked through Sona) and more importantly were available on phone all the time (the crew of hte bus were clueless and the main bus operator contacts all became inaccessible).
Who was the operator? AFAIK, Sona handles Greyhound (Ashirwad), KPN and Sharma buses out of EKM now. Sona operates their own Volvos as well (they took over buses of Puzhekadavil and Raj).
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 14:23   #636
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 412
Thanked: 344 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

coolclouds


Thx for the no of Tiruvalla depot

The operator on COK MAA was indeed SMP.They were very prompt at a 4.30 PM start from ENnign but never that particular about the arrival at EKM which was anywhere from 8 AM to 11 AM. KPN only operated briefly. Thiruvalluvar had one service (they had 6 even at those times on TVM MAA which went via Nagercoil, Madurai) and Ashirwad and Oasis also operated. I think Oasis has now become SPS .

The big route at that time was Ernakulam Mumbai - days before nedumbaserry airport, no international flights from Kerala except from Trivandrum Indian Airlines was the monopoly and getting Kochi Mumbai seats needed high powered connections!!! The one daily train was the Jayanthi Janatha (Netravati- now Kurla exp - came along late 80s I think) and Kerala Mumbai bus travel was big business. I used Sharma - they had a connection bus almost immediately from BLR, but others were Indira travels, SB travels, and RP David - later I think it became NS-RPD.
Sharma, National and Southern were the big operators in the BLR-BOM route. There was ofcourse Conti Travels also at that time - to Coimbatore and maybe to Chennai. Kerala SRTC also breifly operated a 2 x 2 push back between Kochi and Chennai in the arly 1990s .


Trivandrum Chennai was the monopoly of TTC (before that it was PTC- Pallavan Transport). Rathi Meena came along and then was the major operator in the route before SRM and NJK came laong. KPN has never operated in the route - I think they have an agreement with Rathimeena. Unlike Chennai Kochi where train is a convenient alternative, Chennai Trivandrum , bus was always a competition because of the early arrival.


Binaiks

The operator was SPS. Sona assisted those of us who booked through them with tickets on Sharma which was following. Sona sells SPS tickets on their website (for their EKM BLR bus) but are not exclusive agents.
TKMCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 17:04   #637
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,694
Thanked: 771 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
The big route at that time was Ernakulam Mumbai
The big route now is Ernakulam-Hyderabad. Kesineni is the only operator running a "direct" bus. Kallada sends a B7R connecting bus, while the B9R starts off from Coimbatore.

Ernakulam-Chennai route has Kallada (B9R, via Pondy), Parveen (B9R, via Pondy), Kallada (B7R, direct, during weekends only), Sona (Isuzu, via Krishnagiri), KPN (Non-AC, Via Krishnagiri). I think there is one more operator.

Ernakulam-Madurai route has KPN (Non-AC), Kallada (Volvo B7R) and Supaa (iT09).

Ernakulam-Bangalore route sees a lot of unheard operators on sundays... There is one operator (SAM - they are a big tour operator) running Isuzus on Sundays, Shama sends an extra B7R, etc.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 18:37   #638
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,779
Thanked: 498 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

for info, Supaa upgraded their Cochin-Coimbatore 7am Dep bus to an A/c (Irizar TVS) bus.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 21:47   #639
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,694
Thanked: 771 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
for info, Supaa upgraded their Cochin-Coimbatore 7am Dep bus to an A/c (Irizar TVS) bus.
Yes. The same bus works their Cochin-Madurai service late at night. The bus works as Coimbatore-Cochin-Madurai-Cochin-Coimbatore.

Any idea what is their departure time from CBE towards Madurai? I couldn't get timings anywhere on the internet.

They depart at 2.20pm from CBE towards EKM.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 22:58   #640
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,050
Thanked: 1,377 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
for info, Supaa upgraded their Cochin-Coimbatore 7am Dep bus to an A/c (Irizar TVS) bus.
Is the iT 09 or normal AC coach.
Do you have any pics?
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 11:00   #641
BHPian
 
DWind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 754
Thanked: 153 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Ernakulam-Chennai route has Kallada (B9R, via Pondy), Parveen (B9R, via Pondy), Kallada (B7R, direct, during weekends only), Sona (Isuzu, via Krishnagiri), KPN (Non-AC, Via Krishnagiri). I think there is one more operator.
Why do they have to operate via pondy? Are these buses registered in Pondy?
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 14:30   #642
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,779
Thanked: 498 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Why do they have to operate via pondy? Are these buses registered in Pondy?
Sona is registered in Kerala, don't know about others.

They goes via Pondy only to fill up seats.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 16:26   #643
Senior - BHPian
 
TheARUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,258
Thanked: 461 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

I've seen them SAM busses too. They are carrying around corporate employees or foreigners during weekdays and now I know that they do trips on the weekend

They must be saving a lot on taxes since they do not have to take permanent permits and can make do with temporary ones
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 10:36   #644
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post

Trivandrum Chennai was the monopoly of TTC (before that it was PTC- Pallavan Transport). Rathi Meena came along and then was the major operator in the route before SRM and NJK came laong. KPN has never operated in the route - I think they have an agreement with Rathimeena. Unlike Chennai Kochi where train is a convenient alternative, Chennai Trivandrum , bus was always a competition because of the early arrival.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Ernakulam-Chennai route has Kallada (B9R, via Pondy), Parveen (B9R, via Pondy), Kallada (B7R, direct, during weekends only), Sona (Isuzu, via Krishnagiri), KPN (Non-AC, Via Krishnagiri). I think there is one more operator.
SRM has a Thiruvalla - Chennai Multi Axle via Ernakulam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Ernakulam-Bangalore route sees a lot of unheard operators on sundays... There is one operator (SAM - they are a big tour operator) running Isuzus on Sundays, Shama sends an extra B7R, etc.
The way SAM operates is in case they have any tour pick up at a destination they send their buses as special trips to the destination thereby saving on fuel costs for the empty trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Sona is registered in Kerala, don't know about others.

They goes via Pondy only to fill up seats.
Instead of running two seperate services from Chennai & Pondy to Ernakulam they run one service which goes via Pondy. Parveen used to do this for a long time for their trips to Kodaikanal, Ernakulam etc.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 18:53   #645
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,694
Thanked: 771 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Is the iT 09 or normal AC coach.
Do you have any pics?
Its an iT09. Have attached a picture (Image courtesy: Dhandapani K, on Picasa).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Why do they have to operate via pondy? Are these buses registered in Pondy?
They run via Pondy to fill up their seats.

The Kallada runs a KL-45 bus, Parveen runs a KL-07 and Sona runs a KL-41 bus.

Parveen has a B7R registered with KL-07 mark - this bus makes weekend extra runs.
Attached Thumbnails
Intercity Bus travel reviews-dsc04502.jpg  

binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OneSideTaxi.com: One-way taxi for intercity travel girishglg Street Experiences 4 25th January 2016 14:04
Intercity Bus Operations - Bubble waiting to burst? Ashley2 Commercial Vehicles 38 27th January 2013 13:06
POLL: Your dealmaker for an Intercity Bus Trip TheARUN Commercial Vehicles 15 1st September 2012 05:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks