Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 19th April 2011, 19:59   #766
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Traveled from MYS-BLR today in Volvo Airavat 'club class'. B9R. One thing that struck me is the leg room! It was much more than what the private operators provide! Can anybody confirm the total number of seats! (I am comparing this to the Kaleshwari B9R I posted about earlier.)
47 seats in all. 42 Semi-sleeper seats, and 5 "executive" seats. Normally private operators have 49 seats in all, 44 Semi-sleeper, and 5 "executive".

KaSRTC has cut down two seats for adding an emergency exit door.

BTW, which side of the bus did you sit in? Left or Right?
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 15:00   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
47 seats in all. 42 Semi-sleeper seats, and 5 "executive" seats. Normally private operators have 49 seats in all, 44 Semi-sleeper, and 5 "executive".

KaSRTC has cut down two seats for adding an emergency exit door.

BTW, which side of the bus did you sit in? Left or Right?
Ya, I noticed that too! I was seated on the right side of the bus! And the missing seats were on the same side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Returning to HYD tonight with HKB, lets see how this one goes!
The bus was well maintained inside out except for a big crack on the windscreen! They even provided biscuits/chips/1L Aquafina.

The experience could have been good if it wasn't for the gentleman right infront of me, who kept snoring the whole distance!
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 16:19   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
But one things for sure - Neeta's Mercedes fleet is growing by the day.
Is that true?
AFAIK, Neeta has two Mercedes normal buses and two multi axle buses and all these are atleast a year old. They haven't bought any new Merc buses but have bought three Multi axle Volvo's instead in Oct 2010.

I believe there is a travel company called Shantadurga ( or something on those lines) who have a complete new lineup of Merc buses only.

Last edited by f1fan : 20th April 2011 at 16:43.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 19:02   #769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
AFAIK, Neeta has two Mercedes normal buses and two multi axle buses and all these are atleast a year old. They haven't bought any new Merc buses but have bought three Multi axle Volvo's instead in Oct 2010.
They recently made it to the headlines with their order for 30 Mercedes buses - including 10 multi-axles. This is, perhaps, the largest order for Mercedes. They have not yet "broken into" STUs largely.
Old 21st April 2011, 13:25   #770
Senior - BHPian

Did Kallada started direct service to Hyderabad? I saw both Kesineni and Kallada-Jabbar at Vyttila at around 12.30 noon today. If so, what is the timings?
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 14:19   #771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Did Kallada started direct service to Hyderabad? I saw both Kesineni and Kallada-Jabbar at Vyttila at around 12.30 noon today. If so, what is the timings?

Kallada has been operating direct since mid February. They were earlier running the B9R between Coimbatore and Hyderabad. A Connecting bus (B7R) was run between Ernakulam and Coimbatore.

The Kallada bus leaves EKM around 12.15 (Noon). I am not sure of the return timings.

The Kesineni is scheduled to depart EKM around 1300~1330. (Not sure of the current timings. It used to leave at 1300, they later postponed it to 1330. For some days they used to leave at 1400. Not sure what is it now).
Old 25th April 2011, 10:08   #772
Senior - BHPian

Traveled from Coimbatore to Bangalore yesterday night on SRS sleeper departing 10.30 pm. The bus was new, well kept and staff were polite. Reached Silkboard at 5.20am. It was my first travel on SRS and I felt very comfortable.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 18:36   #773

Quote:
They recently made it to the headlines with their order for 30 Mercedes buses - including 10 multi-axles. This is, perhaps, the largest order for Mercedes. They have not yet "broken into" STUs largely.
KaSRTC has ordered 30 MB multi-axle buses and these are in addition to 40 Volvo B9R which are being delivered (28 delivered till now)

More luxury buses to hit City roads
mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 18:44   #774
Senior - BHPian

Durgamba Volvos on the Bangalore-Mangalore route.One of the worst possible seats that I could come across.Seats are so uncomfortable that one would slide out whenever the bus slowed down .

As a result ,for the first time ever ,I puked inside the bus !!!!

Though this was making a perfect case for not taking any other mode of transport except the car ,we took the VRL B7R on the return leg.

I must admit ,that VRL and Ballal have old buses ,but very comfortable seats and very professionally managed.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 19:11   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash View Post
KaSRTC has ordered 30 MB multi-axle buses and these are in addition to 40 Volvo B9R which are being delivered (28 delivered till now)
There is some ambiguity in the news article quoted. KaSRTC ordered 30 two-axle Mercedes buses, not the multi-axle ones. Multi-Axle buses were only recently inducted for trials in KaSRTC - so how can they order them before completing trials? In fact, the article itself talks of MB Multi-axle buses being inducted for trials.
Old 25th April 2011, 20:22   #776

Quote:
There is some ambiguity in the news article quoted. KaSRTC ordered 30 two-axle Mercedes buses, not the multi-axle ones. Multi-Axle buses were only recently inducted for trials in KaSRTC - so how can they order them before completing trials? In fact, the article itself talks of MB Multi-axle buses being inducted for trials.
I agree there is some ambiguity in the article published maybe due to bad reporting or improper information provided by KaSRTC, but the article was published on 18th Feb 2011 when MB multi-axle trial was started and the trial is completed and bus is returned. KaSRTC has ordered and taken delivery of only 10 MB two-axle buses not 30. Also the mentioned rate is close to multi-axle buses and not to two-axle buses
mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 21:06   #777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash View Post
KaSRTC has ordered and taken delivery of only 10 MB two-axle buses not 30. Also the mentioned rate is close to multi-axle buses and not to two-axle buses
KaSRTC has surely taken delivery of more than 10 buses. They have around 12 services already - so the number of buses is surely more than 10.

Reportedly, the price paid by KaSRTC is higher in case of a Mercedes, as compared to a similar spec'd Volvo. Lets wait and see where this heads to..
Old 25th April 2011, 21:39   #778
Senior - BHPian

Default Chennai to Bangalore in KPN

Hi all

I planned for a weekend trip to bangalore and booked KPN as it starts right from Adyar itself.For all the other buses i need to travel till koyambedu and need to start atleast 2 hrs in advance for that.

The departure was at 10:15 and it was raining heavy on 22nd the friday.

The bus looked OK kind from outside but once i got in it was a shock.it was probably the first set of volvo's i guess..Seats were fine and ok,the service was nothing extraordinary to mention neither was bad.The reg number was something like KA 43 XX 1.

The driver was around 50=55 years old and was very slow,the bus didnt cross 70-75km/hr.The first gear wouldnt get into slot and the driver pumped the clutch 7 to 10 times to engage the N to 1st and 1st to 2nd.

Next best part is even after releasing the clutch the bus would not move propionate to acceleration.

i choose the first seat behind the driver and then there was a request from one of the couples for a exchange so moved to a single seat and it was again the first one.
to my surprise the window had 3 big cracks and i was really scared to touch it,didnt expect such maintenence from KPN.

Over all i would rate the journey 3/5
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 23:31   #779
Senior - BHPian

Pardon my ignorance - aren't the Volvos automatic gear shifts?

Or are only the SLF city JNURRM buses automatics, with other buses being normal gears?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 23:37   #780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Pardon my ignorance - aren't the Volvos automatic gear shifts?

Or are only the SLF city JNURRM buses automatics, with other buses being normal gears?
It's only the intra-city buses (Volvo 8400) that are automatic. The B7Rs and B9Rs (used for inter-city) are 7-speed (6+1).
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote