Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 10:48   #841
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 855
Thanked: 236 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

I have seen quite a number of Benz buses getting into problems on the highway.
I may be wrong but I have rarely seen Volvos breaking down except for accidents.
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 11:58   #842
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,146
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Benz??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
I have seen quite a number of Benz buses getting into problems on the highway.
I may be wrong but I have rarely seen Volvos breaking down except for accidents.
You mean Mercedes-Benz? Or the Tata ones?

And what makes you think they were in trouble, if you werent travelling in them?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 12:41   #843
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 855
Thanked: 236 Times
Default Re: Benz??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
You mean Mercedes-Benz? Or the Tata ones?

And what makes you think they were in trouble, if you werent travelling in them?
I mean the Mercedes-Benz buses.
I saw these buses stranded on the highways
Not to offend you I rarely take the long distance buses,most of the time I drive.
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 13:48   #844
Senior - BHPian
 
kiku007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,535
Thanked: 976 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

My friend took KPN A/C Volvo from Chennai to Munnar yesterday and unfortunately the bus broke down just before Chengelput. It was fixed after sometime I heard. Seeing this and couple of other posts in this thread seems KPN has gone down the drain in the past decade.

I have travelled very less in inter-city buses, but Parveen has always been good.
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 16:27   #845
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,185
Thanked: 1,741 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
I have seen quite a number of Benz buses getting into problems on the highway.
I may be wrong but I have rarely seen Volvos breaking down except for accidents.
Oh, you have no clue how often they do!

Try driving on the Bangalore - Mangalore/Mumbai-Mangalore route; you'll see some breakdown or the other.

My parents were furious when I suggested they try KSRTC Volvo from Pune-Manipal instead of Canara Pinto and their bus broke down at 3am. Same thing happened to a friend's folks on the return leg. It's a routine story.

4 of my friends have been stuck on the Charmadi ghats when their Volvo broke down for either an a/c leak or something else.

It's not that the Volvos or Mercs are less reliable; they are pushed too much with their schedules, the turn-around time is very less; and maintenance, mostly patch work.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 17:34   #846
Team-BHP Support
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,414
Thanked: 1,627 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
My parents were furious when I suggested they try KSRTC Volvo from Pune-Manipal instead of Canara Pinto and their bus broke down at 3am. Same thing happened to a friend's folks on the return leg. It's a routine story.
which one broke down, Canara or KSRTC?
Due to the high cost of spares, I wonder if the operators run it till it fails instead of replacing parts at recommended intervals.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 17:48   #847
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,185
Thanked: 1,741 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
which one broke down, Canara or KSRTC?
Due to the high cost of spares, I wonder if the operators run it till it fails instead of replacing parts at recommended intervals.
KSRTC buses break down. I haven't heard of private operators' (Canara Pinto, Vishal etc) breaking down.

I suggested KSRTC because they have a dedicated Pune-Mangalore service that originates at Swargate unlike the private guys who run only Mumbai-Mangalore; one has to catch the private buses at the Katraj bypass.

I spoke to the driver of my Bangalore-Pune bus some time back; he said, the buses have just a few hours turn-around time. Everyday! They run at night from B'lore and start back in the afternoon the next day. The maintenance schedule is supposed to be there but is rarely adhered to. It is mostly patch work. If you see a repaired Volvo; with say a replaced panel or lamp; it is replaced with local spares, not Volvo original. I hope they don't follow this even for the engine and other technical parts!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 17:52   #848
Team-BHP Support
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,414
Thanked: 1,627 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

OK thanks. I thought KSRTC being a large organisation will have a strict service schedule unlike smaller operators who may resort to penny pinching.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 21:54   #849
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kottayam
Posts: 1,080
Thanked: 149 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
It's not that the Volvos or Mercs are less reliable; they are pushed too much with their schedules, the turn-around time is very less; and maintenance, mostly patch work.
That is the only way to recover the high initial investment with out increasing the fare too much.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 13:00   #850
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,391
Thanked: 831 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Did the Mysore - Ooty trip by Airavat Volvo on 24th as planned. Except that the bus from B'lore arrived an hour late at Mysore bus stand, the trip was very comfortable. He made up for most of the lost time though - when we arrived at Ooty bus stand we were late by only 20 minutes.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 10:06   #851
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 24
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
KSRTC buses break down. I haven't heard of private operators' (Canara Pinto, Vishal etc) breaking down.
are you joking, in the past few (5-6) years i had the opportunity of travelling in buses operated by Durgamba, Sugama, Vishal, KPN, VRL, KSRTC, KeSRTC, SETC, APSRTC, Kallada, SRS and Seabird where buses have broken down, the most breakdowns have occurred for me on APSRTC, SETC, Kallada and VRL
Buses breakdown regardless of the operator, In KSRTC, Mangalore (including Kundapura depot) division has the worst maintainance of Volvo buses, even new buses become in bad shape after just few months, part of it is attributed to buses travelling in Shiradi and Sampaje ghats, but still they can maintain the buses. KSRTC Bangalore/Mysore and even NWKRTC maintains their buses in good condition
mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 10:49   #852
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,185
Thanked: 1,741 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash View Post
are you joking, in the past few (5-6) years i had the opportunity of travelling in buses operated by Durgamba, Sugama, Vishal, KPN, VRL, KSRTC, KeSRTC, SETC, APSRTC, Kallada, SRS and Seabird where buses have broken down, the most breakdowns have occurred for me on APSRTC, SETC, Kallada and VRL
Buses breakdown regardless of the operator, In KSRTC, Mangalore (including Kundapura depot) division has the worst maintainance of Volvo buses, even new buses become in bad shape after just few months, part of it is attributed to buses travelling in Shiradi and Sampaje ghats, but still they can maintain the buses. KSRTC Bangalore/Mysore and even NWKRTC maintains their buses in good condition
Well I was speaking specifically to the Mumbai-Mangalore sector. The private buses are not known for breakdowns.

KSRTC, yes they are! The Kundapura depot has dedicated Volvo mechanics. Try going to Majestic between 8 and 11; you'll see all the buses heading to Mangalore/Udupi/Manipal. 8 out of 10 buses will sound like a jet engine and belt out smoke equivalent to a train. There are regular failures, I know because I/my friends frequent that route.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 10:59   #853
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,548
Thanked: 1,718 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Guys, I have to make a day return trip from Pune to Bombay (South) on a weekday. Most of the buses I know either go to Dadar or to Borivli. Is it recommended to take the one to Dadar and then take the train to VT? Or are there any buses that ply up to Dakshin Mumbai (South Bombay)?
Which bus is the mroe reliable one - both in terms of safety and timings? The last time by Neeta Volvo a few years ago; it took 6 hours from Kothrud to Dadar!

If not, would you recommend taking the train from Dadar to VT or from Vashi to VT, which one would be quicker?
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 12:09   #854
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,694
Thanked: 771 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Which bus is the mroe reliable one - both in terms of safety and timings? The last time by Neeta Volvo a few years ago; it took 6 hours from Kothrud to Dadar!
MSRTC anyday. They are reliable as well as punctual. They usually finish the run is 3:30 hrs. (Depending on traffic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
If not, would you recommend taking the train from Dadar to VT or from Vashi to VT, which one would be quicker?
Dadar to VT - there are more trains, and the frequency is much better than from Vashi. Alternatively, you can also change over to another bus from Dadar to head to your destination in South Mumbai.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 14:34   #855
BHPian
 
Soccerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kochi
Posts: 591
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Any reviews on Angel Bharati MBenz service from Kochi to Bangalore (Starting at 8PM and reaching by 6AM)
and
Sharma Transports Volvo Multi Axle service from Kochi to Bangalore (Starting at 9.30PM and reaching by 6AM)
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OneSideTaxi.com: One-way taxi for intercity travel girishglg Street Experiences 4 25th January 2016 14:04
Intercity Bus Operations - Bubble waiting to burst? Ashley2 Commercial Vehicles 38 27th January 2013 13:06
POLL: Your dealmaker for an Intercity Bus Trip TheARUN Commercial Vehicles 15 1st September 2012 05:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks