Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2011, 07:43   #886
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 15
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

I traveled in the bus and ride comfort is very good. Infact they wanted to try this in their sleeper coach to give better comfort to the sleeping passengers. The drivers are quite happy and say there is no big difference in the KMPL. These days it takes more than 3 hours for the bus to leave from Koyambedu bus stand to cross the city limits due to huge traffic and drivers fatigue is very high.
lakshmig_cbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 07:57   #887
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,694
Thanked: 771 Times
Default Re: How Not to Travel from Palakkad to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
For the return trip, I found just one service with seats available - A KSRTC SDLX Airbus from Thrissur via Sultan Bathery, Gundlupet, Mysore.
Sorry to nitpick, but the bus is via Nilambur, Vazhikkadavu, Gudalur, Gundlupet, Mysore. This is one good route to travel during the day - slender traffic, and a good ghat section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Typical KSRTC Green and white livery, seats were done by KSRTC's Central Workshop, with nice cushioning but no push-back. Leg space was ok. Recline angle was perfect for me. The engine was very noisy, and needed to be revved to extract power (turbolag?).
How did you find the seat height? I traveled only once in one of these (RNC679 of Kannur), and I found the seat pretty too high. I could barely keep my leg comfortably on the floor. Not sure if it was a one off situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
to the platform. It was RRC961 or Thrissur depot. This bus looked a lot battered, from the outside, compared to the RRC973 and RRC974 of Palakkad depot which were impeccably maintained both inside and outside. Battered meant, lot of scratches, dents on the bumper, edges of body panels, etc. All lights were functional though. Got in, and was a bit surprised to see that the interiors were very neat and well maintained unlike the exterior. Comfortable seats, same engine as the SDLX which took me home, it was also an AL Viking with rear Air suspension.
Thrissur maintains its buses in impeccable condition - the buses usually look horrible on the outside, but they have well kept interiors. The drivers on Interstate routes are too good as well.

For the benefit of all: The following buses have a "pass" to cross the forest at night: For KeSRTC: Guruvayur-Bangalore and Kottayam-Bangalore Super Deluxe via Gudalur, and Ernakulam-Bangalore AC and Kozhikode-Bangalore AC via Sulthan Bathery.

In the opposite direction, the following buses are permitted: Bangalore-Ernakulam and Bangalore-Kozhikode AC (Via Sulthan Bathery), and Bangalore-Thrissur and Bangalore-Kottayam Super Deluxe via Gudalur.

For KaSRTC, they have very few services via Vazhikadavu, Gudalur. Via Sulthan Bathery, IIRC, its the Ernakulam-Mysore and Kozhikode-Bangalore Airavats that have the pass.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 07:58   #888
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

What kind of auto transmission is this. As far as I know, no manufacturer yet provides an Auto Transmission option for intercity duties. So how has KPN done this. Convert a city bus into an intercity one?? Whatever it is I doubt it will be any good, both speed and efficiency wise.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 08:07   #889
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 15
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
What kind of auto transmission is this. As far as I know, no manufacturer yet provides an Auto Transmission option for intercity duties. So how has KPN done this. Convert a city bus into an intercity one?? Whatever it is I doubt it will be any good, both speed and efficiency wise.
It is Allison Automatic Transmission. It is an intercity bus and based on customers request they have regeared two buses with the automatic transmission. Allison started marketing automatic transmissions for intercity buses.
lakshmig_cbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 09:17   #890
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Do you mean to say KPN with Allison's help have changed out the gearbox in this bus??? Because changing out the tranny is not exactly a simple job, of removing one gearbox and attaching another.

Do you have any further info regarding this bus, like what chassis is this and what is spec transmission is it???

I just remebered Tata does now provide a 1616 with an auto tranny, but I think even that is a gearbox meant for city traffic conditions and not intercity applications.

Last edited by julupani : 7th June 2011 at 09:20.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 09:25   #891
Senior - BHPian
 
silversteed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PGT//BLR//STR
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 1,294 Times
Default Re: How Not to Travel from Palakkad to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Sorry to nitpick, but the bus is via Nilambur, Vazhikkadavu, Gudalur, Gundlupet, Mysore. This is one good route to travel during the day - slender traffic, and a good ghat section.
Thank you for correcting me. I assumed it to be Sultan Bathery. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
How did you find the seat height? I traveled only once in one of these (RNC679 of Kannur), and I found the seat pretty too high. I could barely keep my leg comfortably on the floor. Not sure if it was a one off situation.
Seat is a bit higher compared to the SDX's seats. But not uncomfortably high though. I was resting my legs on the footrest, and not on the floor.


Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Thrissur maintains its buses in impeccable condition - the buses usually look horrible on the outside, but they have well kept interiors. The drivers on Interstate routes are too good as well.
That's true

Thank you, binaiks, for correcting and for the added info.


EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakshmig_cbe View Post
It is Allison Automatic Transmission. It is an intercity bus and based on customers request they have regeared two buses with the automatic transmission. Allison started marketing automatic transmissions for intercity buses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Do you mean to say KPN with Allison's help have changed out the gearbox in this bus??? Because changing out the tranny is not exactly a simple job, of removing one gearbox and attaching another.
I have a feeling that it must be a retrofit of the auto-tranny used by some AL city buses of MTC Chennai. I remember travelling in one such MTC bus. It was a Viking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Do you have any further info regarding this bus, like what chassis is this and what is spec transmission is it???
The bus in the pic is definitely an AL 12M, and hence I may be right. But I don't know the specs of that auto box. Could be a 2000 series.

Last edited by silversteed : 7th June 2011 at 09:48.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 09:52   #892
BHPian
 
para_7k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: chennai
Posts: 454
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: How Not to Travel from Palakkad to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
For Chennai-Bangalore sector, the most reliable and economical ones, IMO are Roadlink India and ABTX Travels - always on time and impeccably maintained buses.
I have had a bad experience on ABT travels as in the post below. I may not choose them again.

I'm a little wary of choosing road link india after the crash. How are they doing after that ?

I see that you had frequently done Chennai - Bangalore bus trips. What is your feedback on Parveen or Kesineni ?
para_7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 10:00   #893
Senior - BHPian
 
silversteed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PGT//BLR//STR
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 1,294 Times
Default Re: How Not to Travel from Palakkad to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
I have had a bad experience on ABT travels as in the post below. I may not choose them again.

I'm a little wary of choosing road link india after the crash. How are they doing after that ?

I see that you had frequently done Chennai - Bangalore bus trips. What is your feedback on Parveen or Kesineni ?
Like sbkumar said, yours might be a one-off experience with ABTX. Roadlink India is good, to my knowledge. The last I travelled in their bus was on March 11. Subsequent trips were in ABTX, Sangita and Sharma Transports.

Sharma transports' multi-axle Volvo is supposed to start from Central at 23:10hrs, but it starts only after 23:30hrs, however it'll take you to Majestic before 05:30hrs for sure. Sangita is expensive and be wary of the uncertainties - the bus, crew, time of departure, time of travel and time of arrival.

Parveen takes longer to reach, but they are reliable. Buses are generally well maintained. I've had a very bad experience with Kesineni in the Chennai-Hyderabad route, so I'm a bit skeptical about them. However, I'd try them any day if I don't get seats in my favorites, as I see good reviews about them in other routes.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 11:16   #894
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,050
Thanked: 1,377 Times
Default Re: How Not to Travel from Palakkad to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I have a feeling that it must be a retrofit of the auto-tranny used by some AL city buses of MTC Chennai. I remember travelling in one such MTC bus. It was a Viking.
In MTC there were some trials done by AL with auto Tranny(same is the way with BEST too) and invariably they are Vikings only.


Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The bus in the pic is definitely an AL 12M, and hence I may be right. But I don't know the specs of that auto box. Could be a 2000 series.
The bus in pic is also a Viking but there is a little chance that the Transmission is borrowed from MTC.
Is 2000 series from Allison? in which it is used earlier.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 11:25   #895
Senior - BHPian
 
silversteed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PGT//BLR//STR
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 1,294 Times
Default Re: How Not to Travel from Palakkad to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
The bus in pic is also a Viking but there is a little chance that the Transmission is borrowed from MTC.
Is 2000 series from Allison? in which it is used earlier.
Are you sure the bus in the pic is a Viking? The rear wheel hubs and the FOH made me believe it's a 12M. I didn't say that KPN has borrowed the auto box from MTC, but I just said they might've procured the same one, perhaps from AL itself, or from Allison.

2000 series is from Allison. Its power and torque ratings match with the engine options available with Vikings and 12Ms. So I was hazarding a guess.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 11:28   #896
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,779
Thanked: 498 Times
Default Re: How Not to Travel from Palakkad to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post

For the benefit of all: The following buses have a "pass" to cross the forest at night: For KeSRTC: Guruvayur-Bangalore and Kottayam-Bangalore Super Deluxe via Gudalur, and Ernakulam-Bangalore AC and Kozhikode-Bangalore AC via Sulthan Bathery.

In the opposite direction, the following buses are permitted: Bangalore-Ernakulam and Bangalore-Kozhikode AC (Via Sulthan Bathery), and Bangalore-Thrissur and Bangalore-Kottayam Super Deluxe via Gudalur.
What is this "PASS"? Did you mean that they are permitted any time during night (with the permission of administration)? Since how long this pass is being used?

I used to see Ernakulam - Bangalore A/c bus reaching Bangalore by 12 noon few months back.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 11:45   #897
BHPian
 
Speed-Gladiator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore, Tiruvalla
Posts: 79
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

I have traveled from Bangalore - Trivandrum, in Bharathy Travels (Non- stop). I was happy with their service. It started at 8.30 PM from Madiwala, and reached 7 AM at Tvm. They will give 1L water bottle for each passenger. Apart from Thirunelveli town, they goes via the bypaseses of NH7.
Speed-Gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 13:55   #898
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,694
Thanked: 771 Times
Default Re: How Not to Travel from Palakkad to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
What is this "PASS"? Did you mean that they are permitted any time during night (with the permission of administration)? Since how long this pass is being used?
Yes. The buses are permitted through the forest at night, irrespective of closure timings. The state governments allowed fixed number of buses of each others' STU through the route at night. Both STUs are allowed 2 buses each in each of the route.

They are in use since November 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I used to see Ernakulam - Bangalore A/c bus reaching Bangalore by 12 noon few months back.
There are two Ernakulam-Bangalore AC buses - one leaving EKM at 8 (this one has a pass) and one leaving at 9.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 15:10   #899
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 15
Thanked: Once
Default Re: How Not to Travel from Palakkad to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Thank you for correcting me. I assumed it to be Sultan Bathery. My bad.

Seat is a bit higher compared to the SDX's seats. But not uncomfortably high though. I was resting my legs on the footrest, and not on the floor.


That's true

Thank you, binaiks, for correcting and for the added info.


EDIT:


I have a feeling that it must be a retrofit of the auto-tranny used by some AL city buses of MTC Chennai. I remember travelling in one such MTC bus. It was a Viking.

The bus in the pic is definitely an AL 12M, and hence I may be right. But I don't know the specs of that auto box. Could be a 2000 series.
This was done by Allison on customer's request with the help of Ashok Leyland. The transmission model is called T180. It is a 11 metre bus. The regear is done by just removing the manual gearbox and fixing the automatic with some adaptation kits.( one day job). This initiative came from KPN owner himself after his visit to the Bus world @ Hyderabad and visiting the Allison stall.
lakshmig_cbe is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 17:44   #900
Senior - BHPian
 
silversteed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PGT//BLR//STR
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 1,294 Times
Default Re: How Not to Travel from Palakkad to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakshmig_cbe View Post
This was done by Allison on customer's request with the help of Ashok Leyland. The transmission model is called T180. It is a 11 metre bus. The regear is done by just removing the manual gearbox and fixing the automatic with some adaptation kits.( one day job). This initiative came from KPN owner himself after his visit to the Bus world @ Hyderabad and visiting the Allison stall.
Thanks for the details.

T180 is the same gearbox used by Tata Motors in their LPO1616 chassis.

Such a caring owner is hard to come by, and I just hope he/she takes better care of the drivers' attitude as much as their fatigue. KPN's service standards have gone down considerably. Good initiative on the Auto box, nevertheless.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OneSideTaxi.com: One-way taxi for intercity travel girishglg Street Experiences 4 25th January 2016 14:04
Intercity Bus Operations - Bubble waiting to burst? Ashley2 Commercial Vehicles 38 27th January 2013 13:06
POLL: Your dealmaker for an Intercity Bus Trip TheARUN Commercial Vehicles 15 1st September 2012 05:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks