Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2009, 21:28   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,394
Thanked: 658 Times
Default

@ vinod! this may be 2wd 207, it may be available in 4x4 form too.

tata has a whole new website for defence vehicle. check it out. ask them if they sell it to civys.

TATA Motors | Tactical Vehicles
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 00:31   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: goa
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

The 207 DI does not come in 4wd form even for army use. I have confirmed it through my friend who has tata showroom.The engine gearbox combo can not accommodate the transfer case with Independent suspension. That the reason given.
By the way the TL and 207 DI are based on same chassis.If I am not mistaken.

Last edited by dinar : 25th April 2009 at 00:37.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 05:18   #48
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,974
Thanked: 2,497 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
The 207 DI does not come in 4wd form even for army use. I have confirmed it through my friend who has tata showroom.The engine gearbox combo can not accommodate the transfer case with Independent suspension. That the reason given.
By the way the TL and 207 DI are based on same chassis.If I am not mistaken.
Dinar and Vinod are right. I wanted to replace my 207 double can with a 4WD version. I wanted the DI engine since my tatamobile is used to lug loads in the hills and I need something that is build for low end torque rather than high rev bhp. I tried a number of people in Tata and all got back to me saying that if I wanted 4WD, I would have to get the 2.0 TICIC engine telcoline/TL.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 07:49   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
madan80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,356
Thanked: 73 Times
Default

a friend of mine drove down from Switzerland in a Swiss Army Spec Merc 4x4. They had converted it into a mobile home with some really powerful lights and winches.
Also, it was a petrol engine.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 14:30   #50
BHPian
 
COUGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 538
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

This post brings back a lot of memories!

way back in 2001, I helped convert a 2nd hand Tempo Traveller into a mobile home kinda vehicle for a client who had to regularly commute between his office in pune and his factory in mahad.

The best thing about the Traveller is that Mercedes lineage engine and the humongous amount of space. This frame has a lot of potential, and lottsa space to put all those useful things: including 2 rear executive seats in the extreme rear, one of which hid a toilet under the foldable seat! There is certainly no ack of space, but this is not a car that is particularly driver friendly. So as a chaffeur driven mobile home: its perfect. But if you plan to be driving it around yourself, its not much fun! Unless you plan to spend a packet in doing up the "cockpit" as well!

As for 4WD: is it REALLY necessary? Even much of Ladakh can be covered without using 4WD.

A better platform for a tourer in my opinion would be Versa (perhaps with a Swift Diesel powerplant) or to upsize I would buy a Tata Winger high-roof cargo version and then work off that.
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 17:05   #51
BHPian
 
rhandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 554
Thanked: 107 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
This post brings back a lot of memories!

way back in 2001, I helped convert a 2nd hand Tempo Traveller into a mobile home kinda vehicle for a client who had to regularly commute between his office in pune and his factory in mahad.
Do you have any pictures of the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post

The best thing about the Traveller is that Mercedes lineage engine and the humongous amount of space. This frame has a lot of potential, and lottsa space to put all those useful things: including 2 rear executive seats in the extreme rear, one of which hid a toilet under the foldable seat! There is certainly no ack of space, but this is not a car that is particularly driver friendly. So as a chaffeur driven mobile home: its perfect. But if you plan to be driving it around yourself, its not much fun! Unless you plan to spend a packet in doing up the "cockpit" as well!
I guess with OM611 TT is getting released in May. 138 PS engine should make driving fun. I wont be using a driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
As for 4WD: is it REALLY necessary? Even much of Ladakh can be covered without using 4WD.
I think that would be required. As even for stopping I would like to move bit far from road to get much needed privacy and who knows when we might need 4x4 application. Prevention better than cure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post

A better platform for a tourer in my opinion would be Versa (perhaps with a Swift Diesel powerplant) or to upsize I would buy a Tata Winger high-roof cargo version and then work off that.
I guess they dont have enough ground clearance and I doubt on comfort. With tata the biggest issue is their engine. My Safari Dicor is troubling me in 65K kms. So am trying to avoid tata.
rhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 22:47   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,394
Thanked: 658 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
The 207 DI does not come in 4wd form even for army use. I have confirmed it through my friend who has tata showroom.The engine gearbox combo can not accommodate the transfer case with Independent suspension. That the reason given.
By the way the TL and 207 DI are based on same chassis.If I am not mistaken.
First showroom people have inadequate knowledge about the products. Atleast i have encountered it many times.

Check the following
Name:  tata ambu.jpg
Views: 3559
Size:  56.0 KB

Quote:
Dinar and Vinod are right. I wanted to replace my 207 double can with a 4WD version. I wanted the DI engine since my tatamobile is used to lug loads in the hills and I need something that is build for low end torque rather than high rev bhp. I tried a number of people in Tata and all got back to me saying that if I wanted 4WD, I would have to get the 2.0 TICIC engine telcoline/TL.
Short lived Safari dicor 3.0litre did came in 4x4 version

Last edited by SirAlec : 25th April 2009 at 22:49.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 23:54   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: goa
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Nice find SirAlec, these are recent development.Plus it does not mention the engine gear box combo.The TL looks the same, the site does not mention anything about the front suspension either. And the showroom people do have inadequate Knowledge, if your a customer come in to buy a car or just for a test drive, not when the owner is your best friend from collage.
And the 3.0L safari is based on a different chassis.

Last edited by dinar : 26th April 2009 at 00:09.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 20:39   #54
BHPian
 
Brutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 374
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

I think the Tata guys also came out with a nice looking camper (civilian) on the same platform, though a bit different and better looking. It had the entire rear caravan box going over the cab to, and thats where they had put the beds. I saw the pictures, but i just can't seem to find them.

Why do i have this feeling i saw those pictures on this site itself?
Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 21:07   #55
BHPian
 
Brutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 374
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Found it guys, it's here(though iwas wrong it was launched by tata themselves, seems like the guy did this all by himself)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...er-anyone.html



















Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 21:55   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: goa
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Hey brutus this once built by a pune based company, there was a similar one built by a company in belgaum [karnataka] in late 90s, it was in red color and based on the Tatmobile 207.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 22:15   #57
BHPian
 
Brutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 374
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Thanks, Dinar. I've seen the Red one, i think some news team ( NDTV??? ) use's them in CHD, but i heard some say they were basically a DC job, though i don't recall ever seeing any DC logo on it.
Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 22:29   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: goa
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

The one your talking about are the news coverage vans, some of them were designed by DC, the NDTV and some other channel. Others have just copied them.
What I am talking about is a caravan based on the tatamobile, the older version [first generation] I think I have photo some place will have to dig through the pile of mags.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 11:06   #59
Senior - BHPian
 
vinod_nookala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 411 Times
Default

@brutus- Nice find! :-))

@Siralec- Thanks for correcting. Your logic seems to be right, when they can have 3.0 docor with 4x4 then why not on 207 Di? but again in picture seem to suggest 2wd. May be it is 4wd adaptable. They seem to have put wrong picture...same with TATA 407 4x4 picture:-)))
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 12:36   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Goa / Portugal
Posts: 61
Thanked: 34 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
@ brutus.

Its this one
Attachment 128823

I found his website
India Overland

@ vinod.
Tata did make 207 in 4x4 for export. It is called telcoline, i guess.
TATA do supply 207 Vajra to army. I am not sure its 4x4 or not.\

Guess what 207 ambulance supplied to army is AWD
I met them camping in Agonda, Goa; I was parked next to them [in my Swaraj Mazda camper] for a few days.
"They must have used half a steel yard building this thing!" he told me.
anjuna mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra 4WD vs Modern 4WD Samurai 4x4 Technical 137 19th February 2012 19:46
CL340-4WD wish list - what you really want in your CL340-4WD? DHABHAR.BEHRAM 4x4 Technical 43 23rd December 2010 00:05
Armada Grand 4wd or Bolero 4wd? VEA 4x4 Vehicles 38 25th July 2010 01:50
MM540-4WD wish list - what you really want in your MM540-4WD? DHABHAR.BEHRAM 4x4 Vehicles 299 7th January 2010 13:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:52.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks