Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 23rd May 2009, 11:17   #1
BHPian

Default KSRTC Volvo accident (Infosys charter) at Nipani

Reported in yesterdays Times of India that a KSRTC (Karantaka) Vovlo chartered by Infosys with 43 staff had a major accident near Nipani on the Belgaum Pune route. 5 staffers died and many injured. Staffers had all completed their training at Mysore and proceediing to Pune where they were posted.
A very unfortunate accident.

Last edited by GTO : 27th May 2009 at 18:16. Reason: Please take the time out to spell-check & proof-read your posts prior to submission. Many errors!
TKMCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 14:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

There is already a picture of the said bus and the news of this accident in the "Accidents" thread. A very unfortunate news but late over here.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 14:20   #3
BANNED

Here is link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-pics-162.html
idea1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 14:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Idea,

Actually, it is on page 160 of the same thread ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-pics-160.html ); post #2398 ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1314314-post2398.html )
Old 23rd May 2009, 15:20   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

None of the links mention it was a chartered bus.

The links mention that these 5 people were returning from Mysore after training. Does not mean that the bus was also starting from Mysore.

But I seem to find two different busses, when I look at all the links there. One bus had a log from the truck sticking across the bus. None of the other logs on the truck were / the truck itself affected : Is it that this one log came loose and hit the bus like a spear ?
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 15:24   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
None of the links mention it was a chartered bus.

The links mention that these 5 people were returning from Mysore after training. Does not mean that the bus was also starting from Mysore.

But I seem to find two different busses, when I look at all the links there. One bus had a log from the truck sticking across the bus. None of the other logs on the truck were / the truck itself affected : Is it that this one log came loose and hit the bus like a spear ?
The bus in which the Log is there is the accident which happened near Mangalore that was a different accident which happened last week and in that incident also 5 people died. The truck was halted on the corner of the road and the Volvo was in speed and cold not control the vehicle and hit the truck.

The other bus which has toppled is the accident of Infosys employees.

Last edited by gowda79 : 23rd May 2009 at 15:40. Reason: Mods - move it to the Accidents thread
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 15:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

^^ Condor, the 'logged' bus is another accident. It is of a bus coming from Mangalore to Bangalore.
Old 23rd May 2009, 15:31   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok .. get the idea.

But both my doubts remain : about the charter, and the log. Though not connected / related.

I think we must move this discussion back to the accidents thread. This cannot qualify as a 'Street Experience'.
Old 23rd May 2009, 16:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

^^ Ah ok!

About the charter: No mention about it, true! But, as we know, Infy is one company that BMTC is happy about with their chartered services. So, no surprise if it is. But if it is not, very much surprised that all the dead were Infy employees! :(

About the log: Same doubt I had on the first view. The log position and the direction of both vehicles just do not sum up! And taking into how the other logs are placed and the tie-rope is still there, it makes it even stranger!

So, Condor, I will get into your boat now, as I also have the same set of queries.

+1 to moving this back to the "Accidents" thread.
Old 23rd May 2009, 16:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

while accenture flew my friends to mumbai, infosys sent em via bus/rail to the places where they were posted to training. One of my friends who was posted to infosys pune claims that they were sent all the way from mysore to pune in a bus exactly like this.

And no, they travelled in this bus only because it was free and arranged for by infosys. Otherwise , they would have gone by flight/rail.

He cant imagine any other reason why they would want to travel by these particular buses all the way to pune.

Maybe they were not chartered by infosys as such, but they booked the majority of tickets, started from the mysore campus, and were filled with other trainees being sent to their posting locations, but occasionally picked up passengers from along the way

Last edited by greenhorn : 23rd May 2009 at 17:06.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 17:01   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
HappyWheels : .. very much surprised that all the dead were Infy employees! :(
@HW, a point I did think about, but : It is very much possible that they booked well in advance (when the seats were available), and asked for seats together. So they could have picked the ill-fated seats.
Quote:
greenhorn : while accenture flew my friends to mumbai, infosys sent em via bus/rail to the places where they were posted to training.
Many (even MNC's) do that these days : use train & bus for short & moderately long distances. Recently, my boss who is very senior in our account, had to travel by KSRTC Volvo between BLR & Chennai.

Last edited by condor : 23rd May 2009 at 17:06.
Old 23rd May 2009, 17:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Anyway it is an unfortunate incident for all those young brilliant minds who were just going to start their careers inIT Industry,
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 17:59   #13
BHPian

Quote:
@HW, a point I did think about, but : It is very much possible that they booked well in advance
It was a chartered bus and the deceased were new employees who had completed their training in Mysore and were posted to Pune. All the passengers on board were Infosys employees.
thirst4torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 18:40   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirst4torque View Post
It was a chartered bus and the deceased were new employees who had completed their training in Mysore and were posted to Pune. All the passengers on board were Infosys employees.
You need to say how you are so sure about this. Else it becomes a blanket statement.
Old 23rd May 2009, 18:52   #15
BHPian

Quote:
You need to say how you are so sure about this. Else it becomes a blanket statement.
Well, what confirmation do you need? Whether the bus was chartered or not? It is the usual mode of transporting new employees to near by base locations like Pune/Bangalore from Mysore.
thirst4torque is offline   Reply With Quote