Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2009, 12:59   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Surprised at how the KA govt has decided to ply the VOLVO rival in their fleet.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 13:04   #17
BHPian
 
kannan666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA-02
Posts: 939
Thanked: 69 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
This is good news. Im just wondering if Mercedes benz bus is 65 lakhs, whats the price of volvo buses. Also , Is anyone aware of the timings of this Bus. I want to travel this weekend to mysore. I guess like volvo buses in KSRTC, These buses will also have maximum speed limit of 110 kph.
Volvo buses are priced around 75L. Also read post # 11 in this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...uses-benz.html

Last edited by kannan666 : 24th June 2009 at 13:05.
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 15:32   #18
BHPian
 
arin_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 598
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Surprised at how the KA govt has decided to ply the VOLVO rival in their fleet.
Thats a business trick from the KSRTC. Competition between two rivals. And KSRTC will be the beneficial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
Wow, thats good to know, because here in north india, most state run transport corporation report huge annual losses.
In Karnataka there is not much train connectivity and people prefer bus over train. Lots of people keeps goes to their home town in the week end from Bangalore. So the Bus transport business is very mush in demand.
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 16:41   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,960
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
These days volvo buses are so crowded that people cant even step inside during peak hours. Earlier they used to be empty. Am sure Merc buses will do well considering the way volvos have done. I wonder what happened to Marco polo buses. Anyone travelled in them?
Yes, I have travelled in a few Marco Polo buses at Bangalore and plenty of them in Delhi. Though they are comparable to Volvo B7Rs in terms of comfort, the NVH levels are higher and the power too doesnt match that of the B7Rs.

Coming to the Mercedes Benz buses, Volvo beats MB in almost all the international bus markets due to one major factor. Better NVH levels and suspension systems. It might be the same in India as well.In fact,Sharma Transports and Jabbar Travels purchased and used a few Mercedes buses on the BLR-MUM-BLR routes9they are still plying) but they didnt increase their numbers and opted for the B9Rs instead ( the new multi axle Volvos).
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 17:46   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,260
Thanked: 10,541 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Yes, I have travelled in a few Marco Polo buses at Bangalore and plenty of them in Delhi. Though they are comparable to Volvo B7Rs in terms of comfort, the NVH levels are higher and the power too doesnt match that of the B7Rs.

Coming to the Mercedes Benz buses, Volvo beats MB in almost all the international bus markets due to one major factor. Better NVH levels and suspension systems. It might be the same in India as well.In fact,Sharma Transports and Jabbar Travels purchased and used a few Mercedes buses on the BLR-MUM-BLR routes9they are still plying) but they didnt increase their numbers and opted for the B9Rs instead ( the new multi axle Volvos).
+1 on the NVH levels of Volvos are much better than the MB as I experienced it myself. The very first 3 MB buses were given to Konduskar, Neeta and Sharma last year and most of these transporters have stuck to Volvos for all the good reasons.

But while I was in Gujarat a year back, there were ISUZUs making all the noise and when I went there a month before, its the MBs as the latest trend though Volvos have always remained as permanent partners.

It will be worth a wait and watch to see of KSRTC will increase/continue with the MB fleet or be loyal to the B7Rs and the B9Rs looking at the cost advantage factors in the long run
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 21:55   #21
Team-BHP Support
 
theMAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,034
Thanked: 1,470 Times
Default

+2 on the higher NVH levels of the Mercedes bus. I experienced a Sharma Transport Merc bus pass by recently, and its noticeably noisier and less refined than the Volvo. It also appeared more sluggish - while the B7R whooshes past and is gone before you realize, the Merc bus seemed to make a slightly bigger deal out of it.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 22:13   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,726
Thanked: 823 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Surprised at how the KA govt has decided to ply the VOLVO rival in their fleet.
I seriously doubt whether the babus sitting at the KSRTC head quarters or the politicans at Vidhana Soudha even know what a Mercedes or a Volvo is... all they are bothered would be the size of suitcases handed over to them (And of course the colour of the notes - light green or skin coloured)....
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 22:22   #23
BHPian
 
f1fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 693
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
+2 on the higher NVH levels of the Mercedes bus. I experienced a Sharma Transport Merc bus pass by recently, and its noticeably noisier and less refined than the Volvo. It also appeared more sluggish - while the B7R whooshes past and is gone before you realize, the Merc bus seemed to make a slightly bigger deal out of it.
+3. I have travelled in the MB bus and noticed that NVH levels are higher. I also talked to the driver and he was complaining about brakes being not that great compared to the Volvo. This was all in a Sharma MB running between BLR and MUM.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 22:49   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,580
Thanked: 821 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I seriously doubt whether the babus sitting at the KSRTC head quarters or the politicans at Vidhana Soudha even know what a Mercedes or a Volvo is... all they are bothered would be the size of suitcases handed over to them (And of course the colour of the notes - light green or skin coloured)....
Its a very pessimistic view. There is corruption and incompetence in govt but there are babus who are better informed about modern technology and things. Also, if it was all about money, Volvos and MB buses would not have been introduced in the first place.

BMTC and KSRTC are making money because there are some things that are being done right. Govt run bus services even abroad run under losses. Its not about the number of people who travel on the bus alone that matters.

Sorry for ranting on this. But, we collectively deserve every bit of what we get in the first place.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 23:02   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,726
Thanked: 823 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Its a very pessimistic view. There is corruption and incompetence in govt but there are babus who are better informed about modern technology and things. Also, if it was all about money, Volvos and MB buses would not have been introduced in the first place.
I think there is a contradiction in your statements. I am not stating that ALL babus are incompetent or corrupt - but a vast majority are. Volvos and MB made their appearance on state corporations surely because is a huge amount of money involved.

These buses are surely efficient and comfortable, which led to more public demand, and hence more purchase. But, the initiatialisation involves a lot (i mean LOT) of money.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 14:59   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,960
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Default Merc Bus experience

Have any of us travelled aboard the new MB bus launched by KSRTC to Mysore?
It would be great to hear it straight from the horse's mouth, pun intended..!!!!
Also, the operator/driver's feedback about the feel and performance of the same would be great input. I had been to the Kempegowda Bus Stand a couple of times last weekend but couldn't spot the bus. I could have asked someone about its schedule, but I guess.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 15:55   #27
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,260
Thanked: 10,541 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
It would be great to hear it straight from the horse's mouth, pun intended..!!!!
Many, Including myself have travelled by the Mercedes Buses but not the KSRTC's newly launched service between Bangalore and Mysore.

They are already operational under many private operators (MSRTC operates between Mumbai - Pune). These are the same ones which gets their body built through good old Sutlej.

Couple of them have shared the driver experiences while many have shared personal views, especially on the NVH levels being more compared to the B7Rs.

Are you looking forward to hear from the Drivers of KSRTC Per se?

I guess they will surely be able to comment on two things for doing Bangalore - Mysore

1. Braking -For those wonderfully placed speedbreakers.
2. Maneuvering at high speeds- For sneaking through loads of slow moving trucks and mini-trucks on all the lanes and overtaking from left


Anyone to share ??
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 16:06   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 229
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Yes, I have travelled in a few Marco Polo buses at Bangalore and plenty of them in Delhi. Though they are comparable to Volvo B7Rs in terms of comfort, the NVH levels are higher and the power too doesnt match that of the B7Rs.
Spot on - there were a few MP BMTC buses. NVH levels were definitely much higher and even the initial pick up of those buses was very sluggish. The air con inside was also rather loud. Lately I havent seen many of those buses - Volvo still rules
royalcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 16:13   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,960
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Default Looking forward to an improved version

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Many, Including myself have travelled by the Mercedes Buses but not the KSRTC's newly launched service between Bangalore and Mysore.

They are already operational under many private operators (MSRTC operates between Mumbai - Pune). These are the same ones which gets their body built through good old Sutlej.

Couple of them have shared the driver experiences while many have shared personal views, especially on the NVH levels being more compared to the B7Rs.

Are you looking forward to hear from the Drivers of KSRTC Per se?

I guess they will surely be able to comment on two things for doing Bangalore - Mysore

1. Braking -For those wonderfully placed speedbreakers.
2. Maneuvering at high speeds- For sneaking through loads of slow moving trucks and mini-trucks on all the lanes and overtaking from left


Anyone to share ??

Hi paragsachania,
Indeed, the Bangalore-Mysore Highway is one roller coaster of a road...!!!! Sudden curves and gradients, trucks on the right lane and 2 wheelers on the left lane...so overtaking space is like a slam dunk, get it, grab it....
Coming to the bus part of it, I was just wondering if the KSRTC version of the bus is the same as the MSRTC one or if they(MBIL) have incorporated some technical or asthetic changes to it based on the feed back from their other customers/passengers.

All ears folks....
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 16:24   #30
BHPian
 
breezydrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NOIDA
Posts: 709
Thanked: 68 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Surprised at how the KA govt has decided to ply the VOLVO rival in their fleet.
Isn't that the trick every client does to get the best of commercial things?

Last edited by breezydrive : 29th June 2009 at 16:28.
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bus from Mysore to Bangalore International Airport p'arth Route / Travel Queries 6 20th November 2017 08:41
KSRTC gets an XL-size bus wash S2!!! Commercial Vehicles 16 23rd June 2015 22:17
KSRTC Launches Airavat Bliss & Superia: w/ WiFi, Seatback Monitor, Pantry and Toilet Sarvodaya Commercial Vehicles 109 9th May 2014 18:23
Mercedes-Benz launches its City Bus Tejas Ingle Commercial Vehicles 30 5th April 2012 18:38
A bus query: Where to board bus for Calicut at Bangalore Bigzero Route / Travel Queries 14 25th July 2010 23:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks