Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 7th July 2009, 14:15   #1
Senior - BHPian
Default Volvo's Vision 2020

Out of the darkness you see it. Illuminated by high intensity headlights and a strangely familiar neon-lit grille motif. Beneath the towering yet slender cab the engine hums like a German washing machine, quiet, purposeful.

Pressing the keyfob again you hear a gentle hiss as the driver's door pops open and slides back while an open plan staircase of steps slides out of the lower front valance allowing you to climb into the interior of this strange truck. And that cool interior is softly-lit like some expensive, yet understated cocktail bar...but what manner is this strange beast? And from whence did it come?

Seated in the figure hugging pre-programmed memory seat you reach out to the touch sensitive dashboard and select the instruments you want displayed during your journey...but to where and with what?

Welcome to the future my friends... and the fabulous Vision 2010 concept truck from Volvo! Biglorryblog has Aina Nilsson Ström,design director at AB Volvo to thank for this trip into the world of 21st century trucking. BLB witnessed a most engaging presentation from Aina at the recent Truck & Bus World Forum having been lucky to be one of the session chairmen--and Aina's presentation was on the role of aerodynamics in maximising truck efficiency. Amongst her slides was this selection of Vision 2020 and she's also sent me an animated video clip which I'll also post up shortly. But back to your journey.

Soon you've made your way to one of the many designated Trans-European 'Green Freight Corridors' where you're soon joined by other Vision 2020 trucks...and naturally using your integrated guidance system and adaptive cruise control with automated distance sensing it's not long before you're running in a convoy of Vision 2020 roadtrains.

At a steady 56km/h the miles just fly by, and the view from your Vision 2020 cab is outstanding....and all you can hear is the steady swoosh, swoosh, swoosh as your trundle along the road.

And those dashboard instruments are telling you everything is fine--in fact you don't see them until you need them and as the Green Corridor convoy guidance systems locks in there's even time for you to.

Stretch out, take your hands off the wheel and your feet off the pedals, lean back and relax....can it really be happening? Yes it is! And you're safe in the knowledge that the automatic guidance system has it all covered.

And before you know it you're pulling into the depot and parking up your Vision 2020 and it's twin trailer load of heaven knows what...thanks Aina for the trip into the future! And keep an eye out for that video clip. Is this your idea of the truck of the future? Let me know. And by 2020 do you reckon Volvo's D16 diesel will be pushing out a 1000hp and 4,000Nm of torque?! I reckon at 66 I might still be driving so book me a Vision 2020 test drive now....after all age is no barrier to truck driving...right Vic?

Source: http://www.roadtransport.com

Video :
Attached Images
hanmust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 20:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Woohoo!! Talk about changes happening in the world of trucks. Automated guidance system, wouldn't that be bliss!!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 21:04   #3

Looks truly awesome and feels like driving one these. Am sure it must a great pleasure and it's in a league of its own. Awesome stuff.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 21:15   #4

waiting for this thread to get updated till 2020
mustang89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 21:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

wow what a concept, gosh need to wait 11more years for this:(
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote