Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 23rd July 2009, 16:56   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Truckers and their tricks

Its been a few years in namma Bengaluru that I've witnessed watching truckers outsmarting the law or even the commoner on the road. Though I've no pics to attach while I post this topic, here are a few things which I've been observing and their "Ideas" are just growing:
  • Most of the rear number plates of the trucks (Especially Sand lorries) are smudged deliberately such that only a few characters can be read. In the event of an accident or even a hit and run, it is highly impossible to note down the culprit. I often wonder how the paint can come off the number plate only and nowhere else on the wooden body.
  • Ore lorries, apart from practising the above trick also end up installing the bull bars exactly in front of the Number plates (or do they do it the other way ensuring number plates behind the bar) and no way one can ever read their numbers. I have even seen many bars bent at the end to ensure that they cover the number plates.
  • These days Huge trucks with Metal container like closed shell bodies are built in a way that almost 1.5" extends on either side of the chasis, thus making them really wide and difficult to Judge while overtaking or passing on a 2 lane road.
  • Our good companions on roads, the Indicabs (as well as trucks) have a novel idea of "misleading" the fellow traffic by pasting printed matter in bold on the front and the rear windscreens. A few of them are:
-On Govt duty
-On Election Duty
-On Duty - Southern Railway
-On BBMP Duty
-Hospital Emergency - Urgent (These are seen on trucks too)

How many of us really feel that these are not just tricks but genuine. Personally, from many years of experience here, I've been seeing enough of these.

I am actually more concerned about the Faulty numbers plates which is so oblivious to our so called transport department though I've learnt from my friend in the Police department that the sand and ore lorry racket is a big nexus withing and reaches as high as the Mines and Geological department and it is very little that they can do which is one reason why we seldom see the Police flagging down a Sand/Ore lorry and the out of state truckers are those who end up becoming victims. (On the ring roads, if it a truck is stopped by the Police, it is more likely that they belong to the "other" states)

Would like fellow BHPians to share their views too. More of their stupid Ideas are also welcome.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:24   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
  • Our good companions on roads, the Indicabs (as well as trucks) have a novel idea of "misleading" the fellow traffic by pasting printed matter in bold on the front and the rear windscreens. A few of them are:
-On Govt duty
-On Election Duty
-On Duty - Southern Railway
-On BBMP Duty
-Hospital Emergency - Urgent (These are seen on trucks too)
Some time back I saw a truck in Tamil Nadu which had a big "TSUNAMI - URGENT" printout struck on its windshield
ajayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 21:40   #3
BHPian

- ARMY / DEFENCE
- Extra body length without any light/end point indicator.
- No break light, indicator. Some vehicle is still using age old.
- Overloaded brick that keeps falling on the road.
- Overloaded Construction vehicle that crossing the Mid divider. Throwing all the debris/mud on the road.
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 21:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Most of the construction trucks (and often the inter-city ones) remove the rear crash guards.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 22:10   #5
vsh
BHPian

yes,
in our karnataka there are many accidents, mostly hit and run have happened and the main villain are these ore trucks. i heard that many times when they are returning empty, the "cleaner" boy, who does not have license all that drives it. and frequently my friend who comes with me on long trips, adivses me to beware and be very careful when confronting with these trucks. they do not move an inch and just keep coming all the way!! is there any way to prevent it??
vsh is offline   Reply With Quote