Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 23rd August 2013, 22:46   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Advice on buying TATA Telcoline 4x4 turbo inter cooler, non A/C

The Vehicle was never used as looks indicate and sales guy told me. It's still standing in the vehicle yard. I took it for a test drive, even the battery was dead and they used an alternate battery to fire up the engine and there was a squeaking sound from the right rear tyre side, rest was good. Tires are old but not worn out, means not used. ODO was working when I took it for a test drive.
I want it for the touring purpose honestly, going on long vacations with friends and sometimes family. And dont have to think about coming back from Manali cause your everyday sedan cant go any further.

What should be the price for it? Till what price should I bargain.
wrongturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 07:26   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
I want it for the touring purpose honestly, going on long vacations with friends and sometimes family.
It will definitely take you past Manali. But the backrest of the 2nd row bench is quite straight. Not enough leg room, and bench is not wide enough.

This is apart from the lack of a.c that you will need.

I think you should look out for a good, used SUV. Most 4x2's also can do quite a bit of distance, unless the road is slushy etc.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 08:12   #48
KMT
BHPian

I just asked a driver who came to deliver jelly stones at my estate in the same vehicle.
He said "please dont even ask your enemy to buy it, it has almost driven me bankrupt with all sorts of problems- please buy a Bolero Pickup instead".
Another pal too had one a few yrs back and he too wasnt too happy from memeory.
KMT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 08:50   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
I just asked a driver who came to deliver jelly stones at my estate in the same vehicle. .
Atleast one TBHP-ian who had the fully loaded version of the TL, was happy with it. That had the a/c, power steering .. etc etc.
It looked good, but too long for city driving.
Old 24th August 2013, 15:49   #50
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Telcoline

Thanks a lot Condor and KMT, so nothing positive about this deal then. I guess I should look for another option as Condor suggested or wait for D-Max.
Old 24th August 2013, 16:11   #51
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Since your primary requirement is long trips / vacations with family and friends - it means you would be doing multiple trips in a year. While you may enjoying owning / driving the Telcoline, I am sure the occupants may not - especially the back benchers. As condor mentioned, the rear seat backrest is fixed and is upright - which will be very uncomfortable on a long drive. A/C is a must on a long drive - it keeps you and the occupants fresh and less stressed. This definitely is not the right family car for long drives.

Other options that you could look at are :
  • Mahindra Scorpio Getaway
  • Tata Xenon
  • Mahindra Bolero
  • Mahindra Genio Double Cab
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 01:38   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
I have come across a TATA Telcoline 4x4 turbo inter cooler non AC, near Ajmer at a TATA dealership brand new, but its a 2011 model. They have offered me a price of 5.50L on road. Now would it be wise to buy it as I have always wanted a 4x4 small truck that can concur any terrain. I can get white no. plates for it. Is this a good price for a vehicle from 2011? they are offering 3 years 3L Kms warranty.....
I strongly suggest you to stay away from this offer. Price seems to be high considering the age of vehicle. Im sure this doesn't cover new tyres. Though full warranty is given, you will end up parking it more in service centre rather than your garage. All the hoses and rubber mounts would have lost its shelf life and by the time you start to operate they will shred. Also the refinement of engine is no where comparable to any white board vehicle. This is not a proper vehicle for its intended use itself then where comes the use as personal car.
Leave away this and save your money for a better car.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 07:19   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Also the refinement of engine is no where comparable to any white board vehicle. .
No quite. That 2.0L TCIC was a nice, stable engine. My Sumo with that was quiter than my TDCi Ikon .. And no complaints in the 78k I drove.

I think you are mixing it up with the 3.0 that we see in the 207 Di's / Spacio

Last edited by condor : 25th August 2013 at 07:22.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 19:55   #54
BHPian

hey wrongturn, i owned a TL4x4 a 2005 model made for the south african market. It had AC and PS with tilt adjustment and was a pretty nice vehicle with pretty good build quality, a fairly good engine and a nice 4wd shift on the fly, had a limited slip differential too.. as condor had pointed, the rear bench seat is pretty uncomfortable for long distances and without Ac it sort of gets stuffy.

About the spares, well i have had nightmares! none of the part numbers match with the safari or sumo, because it was made for the south african market and getting spares used to happen only from the company direct which used to take ages! or you could get the spares from UK or gulf regions.
sugathan is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 20:05   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugathan View Post
i owned a TL4x4 a 2005 model made for the south african market.

About the spares, well i have had nightmares! none of the part numbers match with the safari or sumo, because it was made for the south african market
In a way you were lucky to get an export model unit. But the root cause of the problem with spares was also that, though a knowledgeable SA / technical person at the A.S.S could have helped.

The spares for the Sumo itself should never be a problem, unless with one-off cases.
One example I can give for the last one was my A/c compressor leaking gas. It was a Subros unit, and TML had switched to another supplier a few years back. So they could not get the particular part. But the manager at Prerana (Kudlu gate), Mr Basappa escalated to TML and got the part for me.

Last edited by condor : 25th August 2013 at 20:32. Reason: type for the word "Kudlu"
Old 25th August 2013, 20:20   #56
BHPian

Smile Re: Tata Telcoline

I used to go to prerana guys (peenya), but as the chassis\engine number identification 'match and search' never worked, prerana putin quite some effort to create a map, but still those guys used to find it difficult to source, infact prerana took about 4 months to procure the front drive shaft! and the next time i broke my shaft, i managed to get it from UK in abt a weeks time. i used to have a contact who had shipped me the service manual with complete drawing and part numbers listed, so simpler option was to procure parts and get it fixed at metro motors yeswantpur .
sugathan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 22:15   #57
BHPian

Even though I was so much into it but I knew I would only buy it if I get a go go from team-bhp, and it turns out to be a no go. I really want to thank you all for your feedback and advice, you definitely saved me from a lot of trouble.
As for my next car as I said my budget was about 6L so I'll wait for a while save some more and looking at the exiting new car releases I think that would be the wise thing to do.
Old 29th August 2013, 11:58   #58
BHPian

Is this Telcoline 4X4 still available on sale and with private vehicle registration? Have we seen any of these vehicles in our Off Road meets where TBHPians participate-If so could you please comment on how this vehicle doubles up as a highway cruiser and also as an Off-roader?
Please check this brochure on TELCOLINE 4X4.
The highlights that I saw in it are
  1. 72% gradability for highest inclines-Highest in India
  2. Electric shifting between 4X2 and 4X4
  3. AUTO HUBLOCKS on the independently suspended front Axles
  4. Power to weight ration of 33 which they claim is the highest in this class of pick ups
  5. The engine seems to be the old 1948 CC that served in Sierras and Estates. Could be the same TURBO engine from Sierra Turbo when it last came from the TATAs (please correct me if am wrong)
  6. Somewhere I got to see a turning radius of 6+ metres
If its an almost complete 4X4 except for the LWB,then why is there no fan following or buyers for this vehicle.

May some TBHP brother please reply soon
JEHU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 20:02   #59
BHPian

The reason why I didn't go for it was as obvious too many negatives being pointed by other members and certainly they have way more knowledge on this vehicle than me. Now, people don't develop this, if I may call it bad perspective towards a particular vehicle overnight, this vehicle I assume is really not that good when the general opinion is considered specially here at T-BHP where a vehicle is judged on merits of its performance and not by the units sold per month figure. And in the case of Telcoline 4x4 it didn't sell much anyways so there is no point in investing it, neither it has Sierra turbo kind of appeal to make it even a collectors worth. I was also waiting for someone to reply to your query but there was non.
Old 3rd September 2013, 20:18   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

@Wrongturn,
If only that particular TL had the comforts like A/c etc, and was not so old, I would have suggested to take it - but modify (extend) the cabin to accomodated better seats. The cargo bayof this one is fairly big, and could have been shortened.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote