| || ||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|22nd September 2009, 20:03||#16|
Join Date: Nov 2007
Thanked: 30 Times
Our 1981 HMT 2322 is past its prime and is now ready to be signed off and given a farewell. We are looking for a replacement tractor and the ones that are available (from M&M, Escort, Massey Fergusson, Sonalika) are quite costly affairs, to the tune of 4-5 L, actually the Massey's go above 5L.
Please throw some light on your purchase, much appreciated.
|22nd September 2009, 20:12||#17|
Join Date: Apr 2006
Thanked: 3,872 Times
|22nd September 2009, 20:17||#18|
Senior - BHPian
Actually speaking, you need a bigger one to save time. The smaller one in my understanding is good enough for 5 or lesser acre use. However the users who used it said to me that they were impressed with it's capabilities. I'm no experienced person with mechanised agriculture works and this tractor is going to be my first farm equipment.
This tractor can be used for ploughing, wet puddling,cultivating, dry tilling and transportation pulling capacity of 3 tons. What I understand from the real agri workers that the 4wd compensates to a level of hard work the other bigger tractors do. With this information you can estimate your kind of need, If you ask me I think the john Deere is the tractor for you but really costlier and comes with power steering etc.
This Mitsubishi tractor is on the 2.7L budget and comes with dry tiller car (free).
You may want to opt for the wet puddling wheels (~Rs.1500 each) and cultivator car (~Rs. 7000) and trailer for transportation purpose.
Remember the max speed of this tractor is 14kmph so I really doubt it's transporation option.
Last edited by trammway : 22nd September 2009 at 20:18.
|22nd September 2009, 22:41||#21|
Senior - BHPian
Mahindra is going on promoting their jeep like look into Tractors too ??? The design team seems to be barrowed xyz from so many vehicles
|22nd September 2009, 23:06||#23|
Senior - BHPian
Join Date: Jun 2006
Thanked: 678 Times
'dog clutch' differential locks are mentioned as standard in all their models. Need they have differentials on both front and rear to become 4X4 ?
also what is the market rep of New Holland ?
|23rd September 2009, 07:11||#24|
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Coorg
Thanked: 539 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
@Wanderlust: Buddy go in for one with more HP man. We got some what similar farm land and its a pain if your tractor aint fast and powerful as ploughing 20 acres of farm itself will take some time.
We used the Massey ferguson for the same purpose but its an old model which we got in 95 or so.
@trammyway: Mitsubishi shakthi make excellent power tillers which are a big hit in coorg as they plough very well in clay soil with water. The drawback would be that one person has to walk along with it similar to a bull ploughing the field. Does its duty so no one complains.
|23rd September 2009, 07:43||#25|
Senior - BHPian
Now going through the tiller vs. mini tractor, followings are my understanding
1. You need to walk along with the tiller
2. While crossing the farm boundaries (waterways), often the tiller get toppled
3. You need to have 2nd person to open up the front stand for parking the tiller
1. comfortable farming with a seat
2. complete mechanical control
3. four wheels to drive (and) four wheel drive ;-)
|23rd September 2009, 09:44||#26|
Join Date: Nov 2006
Thanked: 3 Times
Siva how much is the on road cost since i was also seriously considering to buy one? Sorry i missed your post with the cost. My mistake.
Last edited by Hemanth : 23rd September 2009 at 09:48.
|23rd September 2009, 09:55||#27|
Senior - BHPian
Mitsubishi-Shakti MT180D Tractor - TD Report
This is not a car everyone can dream to own but a mechanical farm equipment to be used in a farm. This is what I told myself before going to the TD few of the tractors that suggested by known circle of farmers society. This purchase of Tractor is 100% my own idea of getting my foot dirt with the farming work hence first of its kind for me.
After couple of visits to big tractor brands, I thought the budget that I need to spend on a tractor is way above my need hence at once I even dropped my plans to buy a tractor. Finally one of the agriculture advisors told me to look a Mitsubishi Tractor. That again pushed me to think that Japanese name so costlier affairs what the agri pro advised me. I was all along thinking he is talking about a full sized tractor until I visited the dealer.
The dealership in my home town is on the outskirts and a new one; they don’t have parking in front of their establishment as it comes just opposite to the governmental buildings. I had no idea of what I’m up to and what is the tractor proposed to me.
The representative at the dealership said the tractor is 18.5BHP and comes from Mitsubishi and collaboration with VST. (With the intention to run off from the place as 18.5 seems very low for me for the farming needs) I did ask again VST? Yes, the same India Garage guys who sell Mahindra products. They do manufacture tractors in Bangalore hence the Mitsubishi sakthi models.
I was very much in surprise and followed the representative toward their yard which is few meter away from the many office. After few minutes of walking we reached the place and what I saw first time in my life is a tiny little tractor. At first I thought it is downsized model for their tractor but I was amazed by its looks. The representative told me that this is the tractor which they are selling and 18.5BHP one.
I started staring at the tractor for few seconds, it looked awesome but who needs a toy to do hard working at the farm? I went on going on a circular path finding the tractors capabilities with this small power plant under hood. Some of the farmer who also came to the dealer to buy tractors shared their idea of small tractor as the light weight nature of this toy makes good purpose in the farm land as it won’t get stuck easily.
Myself being a offroader thought in my mind as an answer to them (guys you need a 4x4 vehicle to get you out from places where you got stuck), ah that was the time I noticed a broad pipe under the engine running towards center of front wheel axle. Initially I was thinking that the pipe was either steering component or exhaust but why towards the front wheel axle? Then I moved my sight and went on observing other particulars.
While I tried to feel seating of the tractor, I noticed too many levers and one of the levers was marked as High and Low. Hmm interesting and I started reading other levers as well. The next one stated PTO, I was fully excited when I noticed something called 4WD lever. Just jumped out of the tractor and rushed toward the front wheel and now I confirmed it to me this tractor has a front differential housing to support the 4 wheel drive operations.
1. Engine was quite compare to the biggies, that is because it is a 3cyl small engine
2. Too many levers (Gear, PTO, Rear lift, 4WD, High/Low, Speed control for the hand operations and Brake, Accelerator and Clutch levers for foot operations)
3. Clean and neat integrated dash board behind the steering wheel.
4. Small steering wheel to match the size of the tractor but really not tough as I initially assumed.
5. Only available in red color for domestic market
6. horizontally placed exhaust outlet
7. Typical transparent air-intake snorkel
8. Complete Tractor like looks with bigger rear wheels and smaller front wheels
9. 12v batter under the hood just before anything on the engine compartment (even before the radiator)
10. Cramped seat platform as excessive levers where placed and getting in and out is at no ease.
11. Jeep fender parking/turning light assy facing front and similar lights with red and yellow combination looking the rear placed on the Tractor’s rear mudguard.
12. As the light assy fixed on mudguards of the small tractor there is no option for 2nd of 3rd person to sit. You would have noticed in normal tractors 2 addnl persons can sit on the mudguard
13. The attachment car’s lift and position knob fixed on right hand side rear mudguard needs 2 hands to operate. Because there are stopper screws which holds the position on the knob. If you wanted to adjust the optional accessories (cultivator, plough car) height you need to loosen the 2 screws holding the position of the lever and change the position then again tighten the screws to hold lever position. This setup is little lousy as you really need to do lots of work ;-)
14. The rest of levers such as PTO, Gear, 4WD and H/L are smooth and not much trouble with it.
15. Overall the build quality is light, may be I’m first time tractor observer so this impression. What I heard from the farmers that they felt this tiny toy impressed them and they are up for it.
16. The seat in this tractor is good with back rest option
17. Since the exhaust mounted below foot level and on the forward looking position, I doubt if the person driving this tractor would return without carbon film quoting on the face.
18. The front headlights are in a right position however I really can’t comment until I drive the tractor on a dark road/offroad/farm.
19. The tractor bonnet (hood) opens up rear to front type
Work and Practical
My small little test drive on this tractor proved to take my patience out as the top speed in this tractor is only 14kmph and I wonder why they created a trailer attachment for this tractor as practically you can use it for transportation with this speed.
Little power under the hood with smaller gearing ratio and light weight of the tractor with the four wheel drive combination works out a great farm tractor with in this tiny body.
Easy maneuver in sharp cuts in the cultivation fields due to its size, where the bigger tractors cannot take a chance.
As any other tractor, there is no weather proofing so I accept this one as Tractor only and not for creature comfort zone
Parking is simple and the open nature of tractor provides 360degree view and quite a good feeling. (I was thinking if such view is possible with Mahindra Shaan type new design)
4WD drive option is a best part of this tractor and really works well, I guess after I engaged the 4WD lever the turning radius seems to be reduced, thought I really can’t comment as I have no figures to prove this claim.
The smaller tractor also provides options for spraying Organic fertilizers ('naturally' occurring compounds) and Organic pesticides that are welcome fact as half of my land is already a mango & coconut farm.
The dry-tilling car attachment comes free with the tractor and a must have one for farming.
The wet puddling wheel attachment is not part of the deal and one need to buy them separately. (The tiller’s wheels are not going to fit into the small tractor and one need to buy them separately)
Also the cultivator accessory is not part of the deal and need to buy it separately too.
With little modification or no medication I think the ¼ ton jeep trailer could be used with the mini tractor however I don’t see any reason to use the trailer with 14kmph speed.
After farm work wash is not going to be that tough task as compare to the bigger tractors.
The Mitsubishi’s technical transfer to VST proved this tractor dependability to a good height. Also the success of the Mitsubishi tiller machines pushes one level up confident for this smaller tractor.
The size, 4WD and FE are on the higher side of value for money(This Mitsubishi tractor costs Rs. 2.7L on road budget and comes with dry tiller car free of cost) and highly suggested for a small scale farmer
The engine power, lack of bit more road speed and small size nature puts barricade for large size farming needs.
Last edited by trammway : 23rd September 2009 at 10:00.
|23rd September 2009, 10:05||#28|
Join Date: Nov 2007
Thanked: 30 Times
|23rd September 2009, 10:09||#29|
Senior - BHPian
For me road travel with this tractor is completely not required as my Jeep and its trailer already taking that part of agriculture road transport work. You know what at times I can do above 90kmph
|23rd September 2009, 13:48||#30|
Join Date: Dec 2006
Thanked: 55 Times
Siva Sir,...can we have some pictures of the tractor taken by you.
It would be much more descriptive than the single pic on the website !
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Unknown 4x4 tractor in very sorry state||SirAlec||Commercial Vehicles||43||29th July 2016 17:49|
|Escorts showcases Farmtrac 6050 4x4 tractor in Chandigarh||Aditya||Commercial Vehicles||8||27th November 2014 10:14|
|HELP- Accomodation Booking Up North- DONE and ready to Go!||PAVAN KADAM||Route / Travel Queries||31||13th March 2011 13:51|
|Mahindra Shaan - New Tractor from Mahindra!||normally_crazy||Commercial Vehicles||25||7th April 2009 00:36|
|New Ashok Leyland Tractor Trailer?||autocrazy||Commercial Vehicles||13||7th February 2008 15:46|