Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2012, 11:20   #151
BHPian
 
S_patrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.

it says MARKSMAN on these vehicles, meant for the Bangalore police apparently! pics taken from INDIA GARAGE here in Bangalore. Seems to be on the same lines as the xuv500

Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.-img00001201203220745.jpg

Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.-img00002201203220745.jpg

Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.-img00003201203220745.jpg

Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.-img00004201203220745.jpg

Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.-img00005201203220746.jpg
S_patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 12:25   #152
BHPian
 
lobojames9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 84
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_patrick View Post
it says MARKSMAN on these vehicles, meant for the Bangalore police apparently! pics taken from INDIA GARAGE here in Bangalore. Seems to be on the same lines as the xuv500

Attachment 906643

Attachment 906644

Attachment 906645

Attachment 906646

Attachment 906647
These have been seen in Mumbai as posted by a fellow member. The platform would have been older than that of the XUV.

What are the Marksman used for? What is the holder kind of thing attached to the side?

Last edited by lobojames9 : 24th March 2012 at 12:28.
lobojames9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 13:36   #153
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,571
Thanked: 305 Times
Default Re: Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_patrick View Post
it says MARKSMAN on these vehicles, meant for the Bangalore police apparently! pics taken from INDIA GARAGE here in Bangalore. Seems to be on the same lines as the xuv500
These have ben around with Mumbai police since the last few years and are based on the Scorpio platform (basically a Scorpio with a modded, bullet proof body)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobojames9 View Post
These have been seen in Mumbai as posted by a fellow member. The platform would have been older than that of the XUV.What are the Marksman used for? What is the holder kind of thing attached to the side?

These are for anti terrorist operations, came in vogue after 26/11 and are posted at strategic locations around Mumbai. The holder is for a can (fuel / water)

Last edited by m_upreti : 24th March 2012 at 13:41.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 19:25   #154
Senior - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,092
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default Ashok Leyland Defence Systems unveils the HMV Super Stallion, Stallion 6x6, COLT

Ashok Leyland Defence Systems unveils the COLT range of tactical vehicle:
March 29th, 2012. New Delhi:

Name:  ALDSColtplatform_0.jpg
Views: 19801
Size:  166.9 KB
  • Strategic partnerships with global leaders to expand product range
Ashok Leyland Defence Systems, a joint venture Company, engaged in the manufacture of specialized tactical and armoured vehicles, today unveiled the first of the range of COLT tactical vehicles - the Light Tactical Vehicle (4x4).

The Light Tactical Vehicle is being developed through the Company’s strategic partnership with Panhard General Defense, France. In addition, a new range of product concepts and systems developed with Krauss Maffei Wegmann Gmbh (KMW), Germany, were also unveiled.
“India’s Defence sector is seeking greater participation from the private sector to shore up the nation’s defenses and Ashok Leyland Defence stands poised to leverage technologies and partnerships to provide tactical and armoured solutions to address our country’s defense requirements,” said Dr. V. Sumantran, Chairman, Ashok Leyland Defence Systems. “Our product range will offer state-of-the-art performance while achieving high levels of local content and cost competitiveness. Today, we are proud to unveil the COLT 4x4 Light Tactical Vehicle which offers superior protection, improved agility and enhanced performance, typical of our new range of vehicles,” he added.
COLT Light Tactical Vehicle (4x4)
The COLT Light Tactical Vehicle (LTV), jointly developed by Ashok Leyland Defence and Panhard General Defense, has excellent mobility owing to a power to weight ratio of over 34 horsepower per tonne. It is equipped with a high performance chassis, a unique suspension system and an innovative patented armoured hull. Essentially designed to carry out protected tactical liaison missions, the LTV can fill a large array of roles such as escort, patrol and command vehicles. The product is battle-proven and over 2,000 are deployed across 15 countries.
Product portfolio
Ashok Leyland Defence is also engaged in developing range of armoured vehicles with military payloads ranging from 1.5 to 16 tonnes, on the COLT, STALLION and SUPER STALLION platforms that will address requirements for Light Specialist Vehicles (LSV), Light Bullet Proof Vehicle (LBPV), Light Artillery Machines (LAM), Mine Protected Vehicles (MPV), Field Artillery Tractors, Multi-Barrel Rocket Launchers (MBRLs) and other special applications. Ashok Leyland Defence offers unique capabilities in bringing state-of-the-art equipment to India with high local content and customized to suit specific needs of India’s defence forces.

Ashok Leyland unveils the HMV 8x8 Super Stallion
Name:  Stallion.jpg
Views: 5800
Size:  103.2 KB
  • Expands the Stallion range of logistics vehicles
The Hinduja flagship, Ashok Leyland, today unveiled the SUPER STALLION 8x8 High Mobility Vehicle (HMV) and with that, the expansion of their range of logistics vehicles. Also being displayed for the first time is a new face-lifted version of the very popular Stallion in 6x6 configuration with a new high power engine and auto transmission.
“The HMV 8x8 SUPER STALLION is our new top-of-the-range offering – a contemporary technology product that is proudly indigenous. This heavier Super STALLION platform builds on the heritage of the STALLION, of which more than 65,000 vehicles are deployed by the Indian Army. STALLIONS form the veritable backbone of their logistics operations and we cherish our role as their largest supplier of logistics vehicles,” said Mr. Nitin Seth, Executive Director – Defence Business, Ashok Leyland. “This experience, as well as experience in some of our new export markets has allowed us to factor customer feedback to achieve the significant improvements to the product,” he added.
SUPER STALLION 8x8 (HMV – High Mobility Vehicle)
The SUPER STALLION HMV 8x8 is the new flagship of Ashok Leyland’s range of logistics vehicles. It has been specially configured to meet the army’s emerging requirement for vehicles with higher mobility and greater power to operate in challenging desert terrains. It is propelled by a state-of-the-art powerful 360 hp (265 kW) Neptune engine, that can crank up a torque of 1400 Nm. Hub reduction axles ensure better ground clearance and grip for its 8 wheels in sand and the Central Tyre Inflation System (CITS) enables inflating or deflating tyres even when on the move. Driver comfort is been addressed through air-conditioning, bucket seats in the ergonomic cab and parabolic suspension in front for a better ride. The SUPER STALLION platform promises the same versatility of the STALLION platform and can be offered for a variety of applications like Field Artillery Tractor and Mounted Gun with different transmission and driveline configurations.
STALLION 6x6
The STALLION 6x6 is significantly upgraded in form and function compared to its earlier version. It has a more powerful 165 kW Common Rail Diesel engine that is capable of 800 Nm of torque to operate in demanding, mountainous terrain. Ease of use is addressed by the Automatic Transmission that is matched to the new engine. The STALLION 6x6 is also equipped with a modern, face-lifted cabin that is ergonomic, air-conditioned with bucket seats and fitted with a driver-friendly information display cluster panel. The parabolic spring suspensions in front improve ride comfort. The back-up Emergency Power Steering comes in most handy in treacherous conditions while the Semi-Automatic Tyre Inflation System helps when traversing across different kinds of terrains. The STALLION 6x6 can be used as Troop Carriers, Water and Fuel Bowsers, LRV and as the base vehicle to mount communication equipment and command control posts. This vehicle is already performing with the Royal Thai Army and is also operational in Honduras and South Africa.

Source

With this Neptune 360 hp, finds its place first under defence products even before regular commercial vehicles

Last edited by Ashley2 : 29th March 2012 at 19:27.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 00:07   #155
BHPian
 
neel385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kharagpur
Posts: 530
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
These are for anti terrorist operations, came in vogue after 26/11 and are posted at strategic locations around Mumbai. The holder is for a can (fuel / water)
Not quite...these vehicles broadly fall in the class of APCs or Armoured Personnel Carriers. The level of protection offered to the occupants varies on the environment they are employed in and the ones pictured will probably have a very light armor as these are likely to be used in an urban environment in peace keeping roles. They can be used to ferry forces into a disturbed area of any sort, be it riots, gang warfare, anti terrorist ops, anything really!!
neel385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 20:22   #156
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 858
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.

With the Tatra truck scam allegations by the Army Chief, I have come to wonder about our capabilities. The MOD should have made considerable investment in defense vehicle arms of indigenous vehicle manufacturers. The fact that the Tatra trucks still have left hand drive configuration speaks volumes about the neglect of the company towards India's requirement and the apathy and possible connivance of the people who are in-charge. Over reliance on a foreign company is also not too good.

Also, I remember Tatra made forays into trucks a long time ago but it didnt catch the imagination of the fleet operators.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 01:28   #157
BHPian
 
neel385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kharagpur
Posts: 530
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
With the Tatra truck scam allegations by the Army Chief, I have come to wonder about our capabilities. The MOD should have made considerable investment in defense vehicle arms of indigenous vehicle manufacturers. The fact that the Tatra trucks still have left hand drive configuration speaks volumes about the neglect of the company towards India's requirement and the apathy and possible connivance of the people who are in-charge. Over reliance on a foreign company is also not too good.

Also, I remember Tatra made forays into trucks a long time ago but it didnt catch the imagination of the fleet operators.
Our capabilities should not be in doubt. Tatras have proven themselves quite well as and when their services have been required.

Your point about LHD Tatras is well taken though. However, it needs to be borne in mind that these vehicles are not really meant to ply in our highways as a regular TATA truck would, and when they move, every one else makes way anyway!!
neel385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 14:47   #158
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 858
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.

[quote=neel385;2731613
Your point about LHD Tatras is well taken though. However, it needs to be borne in mind that these vehicles are not really meant to ply in our highways as a regular TATA truck would, and when they move, every one else makes way anyway!![/QUOTE]

I believe it is the apathy of MOD which did not result in adaptation to our country's requirements. BEML says tooling up to make axles for RHD configuration requires hundreds of crores of rupees, which is not justified as the volume is quite low. I take this statement with a pinch of salt as the designed can be provided and the production outsourced to competent maker. Here this issue is not limited to LHD alone, it is simply the most visible and possibly insignificant one. There could be many more serious issues regarding the vehicle which are obscured from public view (may be rightly so).

The company challenges the Chief of Army Staff and wants to sue him; Quite a gall and a pointer to the deep rooted nexus between the companies and the senior officers/politicians.

I wonder whether TATRA supplies UK, Australia etc with LHD or RHD config trucks.

Last edited by simplyself : 31st March 2012 at 14:54.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 18:08   #159
BHPian
 
neel385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kharagpur
Posts: 530
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
I believe it is the apathy of MOD which did not result in adaptation to our country's requirements. BEML says tooling up to make axles for RHD configuration requires hundreds of crores of rupees, which is not justified as the volume is quite low. I take this statement with a pinch of salt as the designed can be provided and the production outsourced to competent maker. Here this issue is not limited to LHD alone, it is simply the most visible and possibly insignificant one. There could be many more serious issues regarding the vehicle which are obscured from public view (may be rightly so).
Good point and totally agree. However, my point was about the defence preparedness of the forces, and that is unlikely to be compromised by the orientation of the drive-train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
The company challenges the Chief of Army Staff and wants to sue him; Quite a gall and a pointer to the deep rooted nexus between the companies and the senior officers/politicians.
Totally agree, but not really in a position to comment further!!
neel385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 18:39   #160
BHPian
 
prmd_cochin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cochin
Posts: 575
Thanked: 81 Times
Default Re: Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.

From the TATA stable.
Attached Thumbnails
Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.-mt2012defexpoumschlagau.jpg  


Last edited by prmd_cochin : 31st March 2012 at 18:42.
prmd_cochin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 17:14   #161
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 858
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Good point and totally agree. However, my point was about the defence preparedness of the forces, and that is unlikely to be compromised by the orientation of the drive-train.
Quite true, but may be a pointer to other, significant issues. Preparedness of the forces ? - the leaked letter expresses doubts.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 19:06   #162
Senior - BHPian
 
jeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MH24 aka LATUR
Posts: 1,528
Thanked: 983 Times
Default Re: Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.

some pics from FB.

source: Indian Army Fans
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 7166
Size:  86.0 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 6642
Size:  85.9 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 6564
Size:  91.9 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 4346
Size:  35.6 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 4346
Size:  44.7 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 4298
Size:  44.6 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 4253
Size:  77.5 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 4240
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 4224
Size:  60.8 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 4194
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 4275
Size:  74.4 KB

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 4234
Size:  72.3 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 4854
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 4681
Size:  79.8 KB
rgds
Nikhil
jeepster is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 21:02   #163
Senior - BHPian
 
agspins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MH-31
Posts: 1,571
Thanked: 305 Times
Default Re: Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.

Spotted this brand new Tata Mine Protected Vehicle, probably headed towards its home territory "Naxal Infested region" of the state. Hardly 200 Kms away. A year a back spotted not less than 20 Vehicles moving towards the zone, that too at midnight.
Attached Thumbnails
Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.-photo0123.jpg  

agspins is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 13:48   #164
BHPian
 
neel385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kharagpur
Posts: 530
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.

A lot of debate has gone on in this thread about the efficacy of the DRDO. This India Express article on a CAG report certainly seems to point at things not being in order in DRDO and naturally the country wasting crores in the garb on indigenization!!

http://newindianexpress.com/magazine/article598145.ece

A quote from the article:

"However, a nightmare was revealed recently when Defence Minister A K Antony ordered the Comptroller General of Defence Audit (CGDA) to do a secret audit of India’s equivalent of the futuristic workshop of James Bond’s ‘Q’ — the Defence Research and Development Organisation that goes by the handle DRDO.The highlights of the report are frightening. Here are some of them:
* DRDO has been developing equipment which is either sub-standard or have extended deadlines and additional budgets;
* Many of the projects have been sanctioned without the requisite government approval. Only 10 per cent of projects have come to the ministry for clearance;
* Corruption and nepotism exists in the upper echelons;
* There is an exodus of qualified scientists"
neel385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 14:03   #165
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 828
Thanked: 113 Times
Default Re: Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
A lot of debate has gone on in this thread about the efficacy of the DRDO. This India Express article on a CAG report certainly seems to point at things not being in order in DRDO and naturally the country wasting crores in the garb on indigenization!!

http://newindianexpress.com/magazine/article598145.ece

A quote from the article:

"However, a nightmare was revealed recently when Defence Minister A K Antony ordered the Comptroller General of Defence Audit (CGDA) to do a secret audit of India’s equivalent of the futuristic workshop of James Bond’s ‘Q’ — the Defence Research and Development Organisation that goes by the handle DRDO.The highlights of the report are frightening. Here are some of them:
* DRDO has been developing equipment which is either sub-standard or have extended deadlines and additional budgets;
* Many of the projects have been sanctioned without the requisite government approval. Only 10 per cent of projects have come to the ministry for clearance;
* Corruption and nepotism exists in the upper echelons;
* There is an exodus of qualified scientists"
These types of news articles are motivated by the Arms lobby that wants India to continue spending on billion dollar imports and the agents that stand to lose kickbacks. Many defence journalists in India (and as already well know - academicians of South Asian and social studies) are unduly influenced by American or European think tanks by the lure of grants, a plush office or foreign junkets.

--R

Last edited by Ragul : 2nd September 2012 at 14:04.
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pre-War Military Vehicles in India harit Vintage Cars & Classics in India 66 10th December 2017 22:02
Government to launch indigenously developed electric vehicle platforms Rajeevraj The Indian Car Scene 11 15th November 2015 17:05
Military Registration Problem xtreme power Shifting gears 15 2nd October 2013 15:43
Military Green not allowed for private vehicles? satyamenon Modifications & Accessories 64 26th August 2013 16:47
WorldWar Jeep/Truck/Military Vehicles Manuals Twinn 4x4 Technical 4 19th April 2012 11:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:06.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks