Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 27th November 2009, 14:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Maruti Omni Taxi Banned in WB: Justified?

Hi All,
Read this article today in the TOI.:
Maruti Omni unsafe as cabs, claims WB transport minister:

Even as 15-year-old diesel taxis have been phased out in Kolkata and supply of new Ambassador cars as replacement tardy, the West Bengal
government has refused to allow Maruti Omnis as cabs on grounds of safety, a claim disputed by the car maker.

"Safety standards of these vehicles are not satisfactory and as such Omni vans have not been allowed to be used as metered taxis in Kolkata," transport minister Ranjit Kundu said.

"Accidents in these vehicles can cause serious injury and even fatalities," the minister claimed.

Disputing this, the Maruti authorities asserted that Maruti Omnis were much more reliable and have better control then many other vans and were being used as cabs in Delhi and Mumbai.

Regional sales manager (east) of Maruti India Limited J Dhindsa, said "We have shown in our presentation that the accident rate is much lower in case of Omni vans.

"We have made several presentations before transport department officials to show that our vehicle is much more manoeuvrable even after a few years of service."

The transport department had earlier allowed only Ambassador cars manufactured by Hindustan Motors as taxis, but just a few days ago permitted use of Tata Indigo and Maruti Wagon-R as cabs.

Just another way of making money or a case of genuine safety concern??
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 14:11   #2
BHPian

I can't say whether it is a motivated move or not but the fact is Maruti Omni however popular it maybe looks a unsafe car to me. The way in which it is driven and speed at which it is driven surely does not inspire much confidence in it.

--Vikrant
vikrantj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 14:24   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally. God bless the WB transport minister!!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 14:36   #4
BHPian

kuddos to the Government for sure..
It is indeed being used as taxi's all around the country but that does not make it a safe vehicle by no stretch of imagination. I personally know of an individual who has a rod in his legs and is bedridden for over 2 months 'cause the omni he was driving rammed into a stationary Alto at the Oberoi mall signal at not much more than 40kmph
so much for build quality and safety. A step in the right direction i would say.
nairanupg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 14:46   #5
BHPian

Maruti's statement is correct when they say "Maruti Omnis were much more reliable and have better control then many other vans and were being used as cabs in Delhi and Mumbai".
But these are only applicable when it is driven carefully, which unfortunately is not the case. Call taxi's in Chennai is an example of this.
I would love to see Tamilnadu's transport minister following and banning it in Chennai.
ksethuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 14:52   #6
BHPian

finally, some necessary steps, Omni is the most unsafe vehicle i believe. should be banned across the country
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 14:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

LOL. The WB government is a bunch of jokers.

Someone correct me. Arent 2 wheel vehicles even more dangerous then an Omni?

WB government isnt banning them?

The moron is the one behind the wheel.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 14:56   #8
BHPian

Thumbs up Good Move

I am from WB and I fully support this. This was needed long long ago.

Omni is a Tin Can with a engine. It is the most unsafe car ever built. And top up to this, when ever you are driving on road these Omni's are causing trouble in the road. The Omni drivers think they are driving a Ferrari and they can overtake anyone and this tempts them to drive like crazy and this causes a lot of problem for other drivers.

I fully support this decision. A very very wise decision indeed.
VictorSinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 14:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Will the honorable minister ban the autorickshaws too? Surely they are far worse than the Omni when it comes to safety?
Gansan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 15:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think they have a man pulling rikshaw concept(dont know what exactly it is called) in Kolkatta too. Are they more safe than OMNIs ?
So first ban these, then autos and then come to cabs.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 15:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Its very very hard to justify banning it as a taxi when the Indian government sees nothing wrong in normal folks buying it. If anything, let the government be consistent. Is it safe? If yes, then let it be used as a taxi. If its not, why is it being sold to private owners. Heck, its even used by many many hospitals as ambulances.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 15:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

That's a good move! That tin box on wheels should be banned from the entire country as well!
AyAn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 15:04   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram View Post
But these are only applicable when it is driven carefully, which unfortunately is not the case. Call taxi's in Chennai is an example of this.
I would love to see Tamilnadu's transport minister following and banning it in Chennai.
Yes would also like to see the same.

Anyway WB minister has done one good job for being elected as a Minister.

This should also be escalated to our Road and Transport MP, so that we have stricter rule for safty norms implemented soon.
Sudan_NFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 15:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I think they have a man pulling rikshaw concept(dont know what exactly it is called) in Kolkatta too. Are they more safe than OMNIs ?
So first ban these, then autos and then come to cabs.
They are simply called "Rickshaws"! Then you have the pedal type - "Cycle Rickshaws". Autorickshaws were so named to mean they were self propelled. Then you have the "Fatfatis" of Delhi and the "Fish carts" of Chennai!
Gansan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 15:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Just a thought. What happens to all the taxi drivers who are using Omnis as cabs right now? Are they supposed to buy new cars if they want a living? If so, that's a remarkably harsh and poorly thought out move by the minister.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote