Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 2nd December 2009, 16:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hi Dinar:

Can the TL still be ordered? I thought it has been discontinued? Though it is relatively underpowered, I too prefer the TL for it's simplicity (IDI, engine etc).
Last I check it was still in production and can be had. Do not know if they will continue producing it or drop it after the new emission norms, but my guess and going by the most Indian companies past records, they do find some use for their older vehicles in India [read price reduction to their real value]or getting a emission compliant engine in it.
By the way a universal K&N does wonder to this engine, the turbos spools quit fast and the engine seam to rev a bit freely.

Last edited by dinar : 2nd December 2009 at 16:48.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default TL is still vailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hi Dinar:

Can the TL still be ordered? I thought it has been discontinued? Though it is relatively underpowered, I too prefer the TL for it's simplicity (IDI, engine etc).

yes TATA TL is available. Just confirmed with TATA motors. Chennai Ex showrrom price Rs 7,29,281. Will be 8lakhs on road. I dont think there is any other pickup which provides a/c and power steering with 4wd and LSD for 8 lakhs. Getaway is 9 lakhs (no LSD) and Xenon is close to 10 lakhs on road! (much longer and poor approach angle)

TL seems to be a better bet

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 2nd December 2009 at 17:28.
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by propeller View Post
...Its come with almost 97% of the XENON features and has 4*4 LSD and so on...
Well, not really, the Xenon sports the 2.2 Dicor engine. Is tata giving some good discounts for the TL now that the Xenon is also there?
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:32   #19
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The Xenon has the better engine and more rear leg room compared to the TL. Its load bed is slightly shorter though. Overall the Xenon would be a better option compared to the TL and well worth the extra money
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The Xenon has the better engine and more rear leg room compared to the TL. Its load bed is slightly shorter though. Overall the Xenon would be a better option compared to the TL and well worth the extra money
Technology wise yes, Xenon is better. TL is good for some one lookng for a comfortable 4x4 crew cab on budget
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:42   #21
Team-BHP Support

Why buy an old gen engine, esp when tata makes very little of those. Little production = problem with spares.
Its always better to get a current gen vehicle. The 2.2 engine and related components will not have any spare availability problem.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 18:24   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why buy an old gen engine, esp when tata makes very little of those. Little production = problem with spares.
Its always better to get a current gen vehicle. The 2.2 engine and related components will not have any spare availability problem.
Tata's whole SUV range has been mostly sold with the 2.0 Liter engine except for a few low end sumos that come with the 3.0 and post 2007 Safari's with the VVTI. I doubt finding parts for the 2.0 TCIC engine will be a problem in the near future.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why not when it is available about 2 lakhs cheaper than Xenon? Chennai VST dealer quoted 7.15 lakhs on road and thats less than a even Bolero 4x4. Some one looking at a crew cab with 4x4 this is the one to go.