Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread
Old 3rd December 2009, 09:29   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Has someone gone mad, even if this is not a reality and this is being done only for test purpose, just the rumours with something so horrible looking can affect sales of other products.

I seriously belive that this cannot be the plan. The xylo is too narrow to gel well with a pick up back, and this definately is not a lifestyle variant and anyways lifestyle variants don't sell in India so why bother.

Plus the xylo engines would be higher maintenance.

The only logic could be that Bolero engine is likely to not bass the emissions standars in Apr 2010 and this is their way out to retain that market. They may be forced to do this for Bolero is a bigger product for them then the Scorpio and Xylo put together.
Old 11th December 2009, 22:27   #32
Default plain Ugly!!

Good scoop!!

i wonder why Mahindra feel constrained to tack a pickup behind every thing they design...

okay..to answer my question..perhaps they want to cater to rural markets or the section of the client that use it as workhorses.

but then my question is why use these slabs of metal pieces all ribbed and stuff? Don't their clients deserve better looking behinds on their pickup...folks at Mahindra design should look at the 1st generation Tata 207 pickup and the current Xenon. For the life of me I cannot understand this logic.

Drive on,
Old 12th December 2009, 00:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

guys please hold your horses and stop bashing the poor guys in MM who are smoking the right things these days!

this particular xylo is for south african, south america, australians and european markets, it has nothing to do with indian market!

its simply replacing older bolero pikup and camper!, which has gone outdates in those markets.

this xylo will never be launched in india. nobody in MM (even the smokers) will launch this vehicle in india as they know what it will do!
Old 12th December 2009, 00:22   #34
Senior - BHPian

This is Gross!! but I don't think when they launch this thing it will be any different at least here in India!! And I'm not at all surprised with the way it looks, after all its a Mahindra and this one is for transporting goods.

Now days their all designers must be really very busy trying to find a way to fix that great looking grill on to newly acquired Kinetic scooters!!
Old 12th December 2009, 08:25   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with Parm's assessment in the above post. Xylo has been positioned in India as a family vehicle rather than taxi and most vehicles that I see are indeed private vehicles, so I feel Mahindra has been succesful in positioning the Xylo unlike certain other company that came out with Grande plans. I doubt Mahindra will screw up the Xylo market by making it a vegetable carrier.
Old 12th December 2009, 10:00   #36

Irrespective of the looks : I think it is a vehicle that will do its job. Just look at the storage space it has got there.
Old 12th December 2009, 10:23   #37

Great scoop buddy!

I hope they don't target the hatch market with this one.

Doesn't the rear crate look lifted from the TATA Ace?

This vehicle is probably aiming at the Xenon, which it wont take down anyway.
Old 12th December 2009, 11:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Great scoop buddy!

I hope they don't target the hatch market with this one.

Doesn't the rear crate look lifted from the TATA Ace?

This vehicle is probably aiming at the Xenon, which it wont take down anyway.

This against the Xenon. I doubt.
Old 12th December 2009, 11:55   #39

HOPE it comes with the mahindra 7.2L 6 cylinder engine
Old 12th December 2009, 12:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

'Ugly' begets 'uglier'. What else is there to say and the abysmal sales figures and absolute contempt these cars are held in the few emerging overseas markets Mahindra is trying to get a foothold in, doesn't deter this company from churning out one ugly , shoddily built derivative after another!?.Jai Ho.
Old 12th December 2009, 12:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

At the end of the day every manufacturer (who is ultimately a businessman would like return on his investments) who has spend close to 600 crores on a new product would like to have new variants coming from his existing platform, just a thought the current engine family of most mahindra vehicles is derived from an old Mahindra tractor engine, 2350 i suppose?
Old 14th December 2009, 09:43   #42
Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I feel the Xylo product as such looks terrible. And now they are coming out with a pickup. The APE Truk looks better than this. Anyway now that the topic of pickup is going on a question perhaps all you fellow BHPians out there may have a good answer. What is a pickup actually used for ?
(I mean it is not a people mover nor a cargo vehicle. It has an open space behind where something can be stored.) I remeber seeing a brochure for the Dodge RAM but they have shown ranchers hauling family and equipment at the same time. How applicable is this scenario in India ? Maybe some people do buy it as a style statement but then is it really practical ?
Old 14th December 2009, 12:04   #43
Senior - BHPian

why do all Mahindra Pick ups have such a large rear overhang? the Xylo has a pretty long wheelbase, so they could have integrated the rear load deck better on the upcoming pick-up. This one looks ugly AND disproportionate.
Old 14th December 2009, 22:11   #44

Xylo already isn't really the talk of the town because of the current looks, adding that 'desi' Tata Ace type pickup option would really further affect the sales. Even the Tata 207 had more style ! come on Mahindra, you can do better !!
Old 16th December 2009, 00:51   #45

Another ugly car by M&M.....They seem to be very efficient in destroying the Indian automotive design scene...
Closed Thread