Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 29th December 2009, 16:50   #1
BHPian

Thumbs up REVA trucks and buses to follow shortly

After trying numerous experiments with passenger cars and electric equipments, REVA is now trying its hand in electrifying the commercial vehicle business.
Similar to the GM-REVA deal, the company is in talks with global commercial vehicle manufacturers for licensing its technology and tie-ups.
REVA is said to have a fully functioning prototype of an electric bus in its facility. It is trying to transplant versions of its technology into three wheelers, buses and commercial vehicles.

Chetan Kumar Maini, deputy chairman and chief technology officer, Reva -
We are in talks with global commercial vehicle makers, including domestic CV players, for technology licensing tie-ups and expect at least five such partnerships to shape up by 2013

REVA is eying satellite plans through a franchisee model in US, Europe, Australia and South East Asia. Instead of concentrating on production in one location, REVA looks to attack key areas on globe with regional plants which will have an annual capacity of about 5,000 vehicles.

source:www.***************.com
Sudan_NFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 17:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Does this mean we will have more creepy crawly trucks on our highways ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 20:14   #3
BHPian

Hmm... Reva to bring out electric trucks. Hope they are better designed and can actually carry some weight for considerable distance.
basilmabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 23:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Does this mean we will have more creepy crawly trucks on our highways ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Hmm... Reva to bring out electric trucks. Hope they are better designed and can actually carry some weight for considerable distance.
At least someone's trying to do something about those smoke spewing monsters on our highways. I personally hope they succeed in this endeavour

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 29th December 2009 at 23:18.
McLaren Rulez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 23:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
At least someone's trying to do something about those smoke spewing monsters on our highways. I personally hope they succeed in this endeavour

I do too, but not at the expense of fleecing our resources.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 11:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Is it not a good thing fro smaller cities? even for major cities like Mumbai, I think this would work. We see a lot of smaller buses ferrying people from teh railway station to the nearest depot/ society. This is for those.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 14:45   #7
BHPian

Would be great if they are well done. Not sure how viable they are.Trucks need
to travel to unknown places and electric ones would need charging options.If these are battery swap arrangements , an infrastructure needs to be set up. Requires massive investment to get the show going.
rpmx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 21:58   #8
BHPian

These would be a good choice for intra city public transport and materials movement. I do not think that we are ready for EVs on the highways yet. It would be quite a challenge to manufacture a truck capable of carrying 20 tonnes that runs upto 500 km on a single charge. Still a few years to go I think.
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 22:32   #9
BHPian

Will these electric trucks & buses will have a efficiency & pick-up as the usual diesel truck are having ??
They will be much heavier due to their large battery packs.
dhrishikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 00:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

I'm cool with Maini wanting to go global and expand. All power to him but why can't they design aesthetically pleasing cars?. Does an EV have to look like a troll?.
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 00:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
I'm cool with Maini wanting to go global and expand. All power to him but why can't they design aesthetically pleasing cars?. Does an EV have to look like a troll?.
I guess they can't afford to hire a decent design team since the Reva is already expensive. I still find it cute though.
McLaren Rulez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 00:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
One reason could be that maini is a geek and just started off building cars with a "concept car" mindset.

The partnership with GM should be a very good experience

Last edited by gshanky : 5th January 2010 at 00:16. Reason: typo
gshanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 09:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Reva first should make more car models within their USP. I am sure there is a good market for them in India if priced appropriately.
getsurya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2010, 20:33   #14
BHPian

Good thought from Reva, but is this a feasible task? have to wait and see. I guess it can improve on cars segment and also try get some tax reductions/perks to reduce the cost so that there are more eco friendly vehicles on road. Also if they can push the Govt. to set up few charging points like in other countries to promot the sales.
Jaizcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote