Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 7th July 2011, 18:41   #706
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Heavy Trucks thread

Good to see so many non-Volvo trucks around. You rarely get to see anything other than a Volvo in the mines in Orissa. Nowadays we see many old an battered Volvos around too.
Old 7th July 2011, 20:50   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
The European workhorses of Madhya Pradesh's Mines:
The seventh pic is just Wow! Why don't these mines have those big dump trucks?
Old 7th July 2011, 22:15   #708
BHPian

Some more pictures. I was wondering what the device on the Scania frame is? It looks like it is some fail-safe device to keep the tipping body intact in case the kingpin connecting the body to the truck fails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
They do ! These trucks are actually not used for extracting the minerals, they help in expanding the mine. The bigger (off-road trucks) are used in the extraction process.
Attached Images

Last edited by D33-PAC : 7th July 2011 at 22:20.
D33-PAC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 22:56   #709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, good catch. The 31ton trucks seem to be used for moving the dirt around, which is not really the best method out there. Probably its a smaller sized mine, not requiring the larger dump trucks.

In Orissa, these trucks are generally seen carrying the mined ore from the mine to the processing sites or processed ore to the ports. The dirt is moved around mostly using large 150+ton mining dump trucks from BEML or Caterpillar.
Old 8th July 2011, 13:24   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Some more pictures. I was wondering what the device on the Scania frame is? It looks like it is some fail-safe device to keep the tipping body intact in case the kingpin connecting the body to the truck fails?

They do ! These trucks are actually not used for extracting the minerals, they help in expanding the mine. The bigger (off-road trucks) are used in the extraction process.
Is there a drivers job vacant? By the way, how good is the prima fairing in comparison with these european counterparts? Is prima comparatively cheaper than the european ones?
Old 8th July 2011, 14:13   #711
Senior - BHPian

A small but decent number or Primas tippers and tip-trailors can be spotted in Orissa. But there are a good number of new Volvos too. People will obviously not shift overnight from Volvos to Primas. I recently saw 3 Primas being displayed at a new Tata CV showroom in Angul.

The Primas are way cheaper than Volvos, largely due to the massive savings in import duties. In fact they are just a bit costlier than 2nd hand Volvo trucks. The Primas though are still not comparable to Volvo Tippers. The Volvos are available with engines having torque ratings upward of 1500nm, while Tata Primas just about hit a 1000nm mark. Until the Prima is introduced with the bigger Cummins ISLe, ISMe or FPT Cursor10s and Cursor13s its still not fair to compare them.
Old 9th July 2011, 15:50   #712
BHPian

@ D33-PAC - Why do they need to use the 31tonners to expand the mine? Can't they manage with the dump trucks themselves?
Old 9th July 2011, 16:46   #713
BHPian

Quote:
@ D33-PAC - Why do they need to use the 31tonners to expand the mine? Can't they manage with the dump trucks themselves?
From what I understand the monstrous dumpers are used exclusively for extraction and transport of minerals. And these 31 tonners are used to remove the overburden (as only they are highly mobile whereas the off-road dumpers are prohibited from being used elsewhere).

Even if the overburden can be removed by the off-road dumpers they wont be used as the removal of overburden is contracted to private construction companies.

@Julupani: Do you have any idea why the Primas are outnumbered by Euro trucks in the mines? Any issues besides performance?
D33-PAC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2011, 17:20   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From what I understand the monstrous dumpers are used exclusively for extraction and transport of minerals. And these 31 tonners are used to remove the overburden (as only they are highly mobile whereas the off-road dumpers are prohibited from being used elsewhere).

Even if the overburden can be removed by the off-road dumpers they wont be used as the removal of overburden is contracted to private construction companies.

@Julupani: Do you have any idea why the Primas are outnumbered by Euro trucks in the mines? Any issues besides performance?
Actually, you have got it the wrong way around there. Its the dump trucks which are not road legal, and thus the mined ore cant leave the quarry in it.

Also, remember in most mines for obtaining even 1 ton of actual ore, many many tones of rock and rubble have to be moved. This rubble doesnt really go anywhere, but is just moved about. It is here that the large dump trucks come into their own. A single small size dump truck can carry about the same amount as 8 of these 31tonners.

Thus the above mine is very odd, in that it seems to be using a massive fleet of Scanias to replace the dump trucks.

About the Primas, I think mainly two reasons about why Volvo is still holding on to its share is, like I mentioned before, the Primas still dont offer the truly high power engines. Also, I think Volvo's brand as an establisheed reliable maker of such high power trucks is set, while Tata is a kid in the field. And the Primas are not exactly very cheap either, even though its quite a bit cheaper than the Volvo.

Also like I said, most of these mines use the Volvos till they are literally heaps of junk. Thus as Volvos have been on the market for so many years now, they outnumber the Primas by quite some distance.

Last edited by julupani : 9th July 2011 at 17:22.
Old 9th July 2011, 19:31   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Actually, you have got it the wrong way around there. Its the dump trucks which are not road legal, and thus the mined ore cant leave the quarry in it.

Also, remember in most mines for obtaining even 1 ton of actual ore, many many tones of rock and rubble have to be moved. This rubble doesnt really go anywhere, but is just moved about. It is here that the large dump trucks come into their own. A single small size dump truck can carry about the same amount as 8 of these 31tonners.

Thus the above mine is very odd, in that it seems to be using a massive fleet of Scanias to replace the dump trucks.
Okay, but what I said is what I assumed after visiting a coal mine here. I have observed that the 150+ ton Caterpillars seemed to be mostly playing inside the mine while the Actros and Volvos looked like they were just moving soil on the periphery at surface level.

@Julupani: Do you have any idea if any mining company in India is using trucks capable of hauling 350+ tons? I've only seen 150ton trucks so far!
Old 9th July 2011, 20:06   #716
Senior - BHPian

I havn't actually seen any of those Caterpillar F series trucks, with 350+ton payloads, but my friends in the mining sector tell me that Mahanadi Coalfields, a CIL susidiary, does indeed operate a few of these trucks.

But its still mostly dominated by the 150-230ton dump trucks.
Old 9th July 2011, 21:44   #717
Senior - BHPian

There are no 'F' series truck of Caterpillar sold in India. Currently 'D' series is sold with 'E' newly launched.

The Biggest 797 F comes with the new C175 engine which is also a new animal for us.

In India Cat manufacturers 1025 & 1035 as Hindustan branded Dumpers (25 and 35 ton). The 773D and 777D Cat branded Dumpers.

The Biggest Cat Off Highway Truck operating in India is 793D, Our Dealer Gmmco has deployed 22 Cat 793 D Dumper with a carrying capacity of 240 tonne at the Gevra Mines of M/s South Eastern Coalfields Ltd.
Old 9th July 2011, 22:03   #718
Senior - BHPian

Well, I dont know about which series of dump trucks they are, but they were Caterpillars and were 350ton payload capacity. May be they were older series 797 dump trucks.

By the way, the India site of Caterpillar does mention the 797F.
Old 9th July 2011, 23:01   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Well, I dont know about which series of dump trucks they are, but they were Caterpillars and were 350ton payload capacity. May be they were older series 797 dump trucks.

By the way, the India site of Caterpillar does mention the 797F.
If you need 797 F, we will be more than willing to give you but please mind the price.

What I told you was the one manufactured here and the largest in the service as on today.
Old 12th July 2011, 10:41   #720
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday for the first time, I saw the Mahindra Navistar 25 tonne in the chassis+cowl form.
Looks like they are not able to make a dent in the Tata+AL market with their fully built vehicles and have resorted to selling chassis.
Closed Thread