Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 1st February 2011, 13:26   #256
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Indian Bus Scene (Discuss new launches and market info here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
^^^ Just noticed that the windshield wipers are oriented vertically and the two arms mounted parallely, unlike the ones in Volvo. Won't this setup result in the Wiper blades resting in the middle, obstructing view?
No idea!
But still its a much better design than this interms of Visibility
Name:  DSC02134.jpg
Views: 3023
Size:  77.9 KB
Old 1st February 2011, 14:26   #257
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I don't know! In the Marco, you have the option to rest the wiper blades at either extremes. When they rest in the centre, yeah, they do cause a much greater obstruction to vision, along with their arms.

This brings to my mind the practice of STU workshops to replace the factory-fitted (factory = body workshop) wiper blades with shorter ones that cover a very small patch - like a porthole in a ship. Why don't they use longer ones that cover at least a quarter of the windshield area?
Old 1st February 2011, 15:45   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^^ I don't know! In the Marco, you have the option to rest the wiper blades at either extremes. When they rest in the centre, yeah, they do cause a much greater obstruction to vision, along with their arms.
Are you sure of this? I've always seen the wipers resting at the middle, and never at the ends. However, you can "park" the wipers at the extremes in a Volvo!

The Marcopolos purchased by MTC/BMTC already have their left side (non-driver side) wipers dead. Here is a picture of one such bus:

The Indian Bus Scene (Discuss new launches and market info here)-img_0309.jpg

BMTC has been using such wipers for a very long time now. Such wipers were "in fashion" back in the late 90s - all luxury buses came with such wipers. Even the first few Volvos (built by AZAD) came with such wipers.
Old 1st February 2011, 16:06   #259
Senior - BHPian

binaiks, I meant, "park" the wipers at the extreme ends. It's true that the LHS wiper becomes non-functional fast - maybe both become non-functional and the mechanics do a wiper transplant from a healthy bus, just like a kidney transplant.

The 90s design had the wiper stalk mounted at the bottom side of the windshield, and they would be parked in the centre of the split windshield.
Old 1st February 2011, 17:39   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
binaiks, I meant, "park" the wipers at the extreme ends.

The 90s design had the wiper stalk mounted at the bottom side of the windshield, and they would be parked in the centre of the split windshield.
My question was, are you sure it is possible to "park" wipers in case of a Marcopolo?

AFAIK, TATA buses now come with a wiper system, which works somewhat similar to the ones in cars. The wipers work as "Intermittent", "slow" and "Fast". Everytime the wiper is switched off, they return to their "original" position.

In the old system, the wiper used to get parked in which every position it was when the switch was turned off. That is, if you switch off when the wiper was half-way, it stops there.
Old 1st February 2011, 17:45   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
My question was, are you sure it is possible to "park" wipers in case of a Marcopolo?

AFAIK, TATA buses now come with a wiper system, which works somewhat similar to the ones in cars. The wipers work as "Intermittent", "slow" and "Fast". Everytime the wiper is switched off, they return to their "original" position.

In the old system, the wiper used to get parked in which every position it was when the switch was turned off. That is, if you switch off when the wiper was half-way, it stops there.
Sorry, haven't observed that. I said they can be parked, because I've seen (maybe faulty) wipers in some of the MTC buses parked at one end, while the other wiper would be missing
Old 2nd February 2011, 08:54   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Marcopolos purchased by MTC/BMTC already have their left side (non-driver side) wipers dead. Here is a picture of one such bus:
This is a kind of Pic which I was trying to post.
There are many of this kind in MTC as well.
I feel they are made dead purposefully

Quote:
Yes, its a matter of fact that they rest only in the standard position like cars.
But this can easily be bye passed by making some suitable modification in the viper motor.
I have also seen MTC's of this arrangement with vipers parked on extremes!
Old 2nd February 2011, 20:21   #263
Senior - BHPian

Hydraulic (air activated) wiper systems have been available in the market since early 1980s. These were manufactured by ELGI equipments (LG Balakrishnan group), IIRC. Costed couple of Ks back then. These were controlled using a rotating type switch on the dashboard, which functioned like a fan's regulator. Rotate it more, and teh wipers worked faster.

IIRC, these used air from the vehicle's air system, much like "air horns".

So, what is the big deal with Tata's introduction of "car-like" wiper systems?
Old 2nd February 2011, 21:07   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Hydraulic (air activated) wiper systems have been available in the market since early 1980s. These were manufactured by ELGI equipments (LG Balakrishnan group), IIRC. Costed couple of Ks back then. These were controlled using a rotating type switch on the dashboard, which functioned like a fan's regulator. Rotate it more, and teh wipers worked faster.
These are the kind of wipers which make a typical "whoosh-whoosh" sound with each movement, right? The "intensity" of cleaning varies in each stroke - sometimes the wiper rushes out of the windscreen itself, and sometime it finishes just "half-a-lap".

Once, in a KeSRTC bus, the driver turned the wiper a bit too fast - it was pouring too heavily. At one point, the wiper blade just flew off! Poor driver then had to "adjust" without a wiper till we reached the next depot, where a wiper blade was attached.

Conventionally, in KeSRTC buses (current age buses), the wipers are run with electric motors. These motors do not have any kind of "system", and they just start running when they are switched on, and stop wherever they are when turned off. In contrast, the current TATA buses come with a "car-like" system, when the wiper always returns to its "home" position when turned off.

(Apologies if the words used are too uncommon - I am at loss for technical terms).
Old 3rd February 2011, 15:32   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
..... These were manufactured by ELGI equipments (LG Balakrishnan group), IIRC....
Slightly OT!
ELGI group is different and LG Balakrishnan Group is different.
The earlier one has a great value in Compressors where as the later one has a great value in chains and sprockets under ROLON brand.
Old 3rd February 2011, 17:36   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Once, in a KeSRTC bus, the driver turned the wiper a bit too fast - it was pouring too heavily. At one point, the wiper blade just flew off! Poor driver then had to "adjust" without a wiper till we reached the next depot, where a wiper blade was attached.
The driver made no attempt to retrive the wiper blade? If the bus were owned by a private transport company, I'm sure he would have.
Old 5th February 2011, 00:47   #267
Senior - BHPian

Ashley2 - it was made by ELGI, not LG Balakrishnan.

bnaiks - the mechanical / conventional wiper systems on buses are run by motors, which have a semi-flexible rod (flexed only once - at time of installation). The rod has some kind of shaft inside, which has cogs on it. The cogs on the inner shaft drives the wiper. At the motor end, there is some mechanism which reverses direction. The cogs at both motor and wiper ends tend to slip, causing the irregular sweep action described by you. The whoosh is caused by the mechanics inside.

Also, wiper blades tend to vary widely in quality and price. On one of my buses, the wiper blades used to fail frequently - and ucsed to cost less than 30/- back then. Fed up, I got one from Asahi. I still have it lying some where. The bus was sold without the wipers!!!
Old 19th February 2011, 00:31   #268
Senior - BHPian

I'd travelled from BLR to my hometown last night (Travel review here). Observed an interesting behaviour with the bus' engine. The engine noise was at the normal levels. After travelling for close to 6 hours, the engine noise suddenly increased. It was as though some fan or something came on. After some 5 minutes, it subsided. During this brief period, I felt the engine has maxed out on the engine speed. I noticed this thing happening after some 2 hours or so. Driver didn't know much, so am asking these questions:
> What was this noise?
> Why did it come on only after 4 hours, and then after ~2 hour gaps?
> Is it something to do with the turbocharger? It was like a longish "whooooooooosh" sound.

I spotted some interesting vehicles on the way. No pics, but will try to describe them as much as i can.

1. Two LHD Chassis from AL. They were being driven towards Salem side. The silencer tail pipe was really loooooong, and it was sticking out beyond the chassis frame for a good 2 feet at the rear. Which model is this? Looked like the air suspension kit was being carried on it, while the vehicle had leaf springs at the rear. Couldn't find any markings, except the Hinduja logo at the rear.

2. So many Viking SLFs in Salem bus stand. They were being used as intercity buses and not for city service. Some had the Harita seats, while others had the tall backrest kind seats in 2+3 arrangement. Good to see the pneumatic doors working in all of them. I guess all those buses were built by GS Body works for AshLey.

3. A weird looking bus in Salem bus stand. Its "cockpit" looked like a chopped-off big sized egg placed over the bus' body. Front was hideous to say the least. They were trying for that "aerodynamic" design, and also trying to give the driver more head room

4. Noticed that most of the Rajahamsa buses were cruising at 50-60kmph speeds. Any particular reason for this? Is it because of some speed-limiting device, or it's just their way of driving it? Those buses looked like AL 12Ms.

5. AL U4023TT - 3 or 4 of them near Hosur. Blue in color, and had the trailer too. Was quite a sight.

6. So many AL 2214s (mostly AP registered), and far too less TM 3118Cs (maybe 10-12 to 1). Don't know the funda behind this, as I had the stats show the exact opposite when I travelled last time.

7. AMW 2515 (?). Perhaps 2 or 3. The rear wheel hubs look exactly the same as the AL ones.

8. 3-4 Eicher Jumbo 20.16 moving as a convoy. All of them had VE written on the front door. So they were new, produced/sold after Eicher became VECVL.
Old 19th February 2011, 01:30   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
6. So many AL 2214s (mostly AP registered), and far too less TM 3118Cs (maybe 10-12 to 1). Don't know the funda behind this, as I had the stats show the exact opposite when I travelled last time.
Should've made it clear: 1 3118c for every 10-12 nos of 2214s spotted.

Quote:
7. AMW 2515 (?). Perhaps 2 or 3. The rear wheel hubs look exactly the same as the AL ones.
Same vendor supplies the axles to both AL and AMW? Thy had "(.)" in the centre of the wheel
Old 19th February 2011, 09:24   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

After travelling for close to 6 hours, the engine noise suddenly increased. It was as though some fan or something came on. After some 5 minutes, it subsided. During this brief period, I felt the engine has maxed out on the engine speed. I noticed this thing happening after some 2 hours or so. Driver didn't know much, so am asking these questions:
> What was this noise?
> Why did it come on only after 4 hours, and then after ~2 hour gaps?
> Is it something to do with the turbocharger? It was like a longish "whooooooooosh" sound.
That could be from turbocharger only.
That sound increase sound be synonymous with engine speed. May be turbo inlet could have been opened

Quote:
1. Two LHD Chassis from AL. They were being driven towards Salem side. The silencer tail pipe was really loooooong, and it was sticking out beyond the chassis frame for a good 2 feet at the rear. Which model is this? Looked like the air suspension kit was being carried on it, while the vehicle had leaf springs at the rear. Couldn't find any markings, except the Hinduja logo at the rear.
They are Falcons.
The extending tail pipe is a requirement from UAE - Its the destination of those buses

Quote:
2. So many Viking SLFs in Salem bus stand. They were being used as intercity buses and not for city service. Some had the Harita seats, while others had the tall backrest kind seats in 2+3 arrangement. Good to see the pneumatic doors working in all of them. I guess all those buses were built by GS Body works for AshLey.
TNSTC - CBE have modified the SLF's given to them under JNnurm to ply in the Mofussil route expecially in CBE-SLM, CBE-ERD route where they are more popular. I am not sure how this was allowed under JNnurm. You have spotted those buses only

Quote:
3. A weird looking bus in Salem bus stand. Its "cockpit" looked like a chopped-off big sized egg placed over the bus' body. Front was hideous to say the least. They were trying for that "aerodynamic" design, and also trying to give the driver more head room
That bus runs between salem and Erode.
Its acyually a three piece glass with front over hang too long.
The worst windscreen deisgn I have ever seen.
I have shot a foto of it, but could not post it as it was too dark and nothing much was visible in the foto.

Quote:

They are supplied by the same supplier - Meritor!
Closed Thread