Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 15th April 2011, 21:57   #361
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Indian Bus Scene (Discuss new launches and market info here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
My guess is either they have procured a RE city bus chassis from ALL/TML and built the body on that.
Is TM having seperate RE chassis for sale like panther?
Quote:
But what I am stumped is what is the point of such a bus?? Is there really that much demand for having a conference on wheels??
My friends company(suppliers to Nokia) had visitors in this bus last week.
It costs arount 28K for 8 hours it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I wont bet on it; but it is the wiper layout and air vent layout in rear which made me think of Volvo.

The steering is too low; so cnnot make any guess based on that.
Look into the Silencer end pipe location.
With this you can conclude its not a Volvo.
Most Importantly the Brand Volvo would definitely be not removed from front facia
Old 15th April 2011, 21:57   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While all this is good, the original argument on your behalf was the production capacities of ALL vs TML. You quoted a figure of 1.5lakh vehicles a year for ALL. If you see last years actual production values for TML, the total M&HCV sales were by itself over 1.92lakhs, which is already a 30% higher value than that of ALL. The corresponding number for ALL was actually 0.83lakh, the rest of the 0.95lakh sales being LCVs. Assuming similar capacity utilisation by ALL and TML, we can expect a theoretical capacity of TML at close to 2.5lakh M&HCVs. I would imagine this rest all doubts about TML having more production capacity.
Very valid point. If there is not capacity issues, why AL has not finished the KerRTC JNNURM orders even now?. Even there is a report last week that AL has not supplied a single bus to PNPNL, pune for its latest JNNURM order. Am i missing some thing here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Any idea what is the chassis powering this vehicle
This is Conference on wheels (Konferenz on wheels as told by parveen travels)
Konferenz on Wheels! - Meetings Re-defined..
Since it is from Parveen, i am 90% sure, it is an Eicher.

Last edited by teamveevee : 15th April 2011 at 22:00.
Old 15th April 2011, 23:05   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Very valid point. If there is not capacity issues, why AL has not finished the KerRTC JNNURM orders even now?. Even there is a report last week that AL has not supplied a single bus to PNPNL, pune for its latest JNNURM order. Am i missing some thing here?
I dont understand why with mere numbers and secondary sources you wanted to confirm certain things.I dont have any second thought if the views expressed here are true, if confirmed. But with limited sources and without knowing any inside stories if you guys continue to give statements I am not for it.
I wish I am not deviating from the thread.

Quote:
No way! Eicher still dont have a proper FE powered bus with direct drive AC.
There where comes these RE buses.
Old 15th April 2011, 23:06   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont understand why with mere numbers and secondary sources you wanted to confirm certain things.I dont have any second thought if the views expressed here are true, if confirmed. But with limited sources and without knowing any inside stories if you guys continue to give statements I am not for it.
I wish I am not deviating from the thread.

Quote:
No way! Eicher still dont have a proper FE powered bus with direct drive AC.
Then where comes these RE buses.
Old 15th April 2011, 23:31   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would also like to know that....I wouldn't be surprised if it was a KingLong bus. Have a look at the interior pics....it seems narrower than the Volvo/AL-12M interiors. I know the interiors of the KingLong buses are less spacious than those of the Volvos.
Old 16th April 2011, 08:32   #366
BHPian

Quote:
This is Conference on wheels (Konferenz on wheels as told by parveen travels)
Konferenz on Wheels! - Meetings Re-defined...
Attachment 531647

Attachment 531648
Looks like an AL Panther chassis. Nice concept, but I don't know if it's going to be that big a hit.

P.S. - Why is the bus registered in Nagaland?

Last edited by smashnerd : 16th April 2011 at 08:35.
Old 16th April 2011, 09:33   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a KingLong bus. Have a look at the interior pics....it seems narrower than the Volvo/AL-12M interiors. I know the interiors of the KingLong buses are less spacious than those of the Volvos.
I think you have hit the bull's eye. Parveen had Kinglongs - and they were running until last year. They seem to have disappeared now. This could well be one of their King Longs - the driver seems to be sitting low, like that of the Volvo/KL. The driver seat is much higher in a Panther.
Old 16th April 2011, 11:42   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I think you have hit the bull's eye. Parveen had Kinglongs - and they were running until last year. They seem to have disappeared now. This could well be one of their King Longs - the driver seems to be sitting low, like that of the Volvo/KL. The driver seat is much higher in a Panther.
I think this should conclude our search!
Thanks bluethunder / binai!
Old 16th April 2011, 13:33   #369
Senior - BHPian

I agree the King Long is definitely a possibility, but I still have my doubts

a) Why throw away all the exterior body panels??
b) From the side ducting, I imagine a slave engine for the AC. Again why this??
c) The King Longs had single piece wheels with radials mounted on them. This seems like cross-ply tyres mounted on standard 2-piece wheels. Why?

Also wouldn't buying a city bus chassis be a cheaper option if you had to throw most of the body away.

I still think this is probably a AL Panther chassis.
Old 16th April 2011, 17:01   #370
Senior - BHPian

This could be a damaged(read as Accident) chassis which would have required heavy replacement of body panels - which KL would definitely not be in a position to support or parveen may thought they can make a better job comapred to KL. Meanwhile when its going for Internal makeover the exterior should also be worked!
Old 16th April 2011, 17:02   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a) Why throw away all the exterior body panels??
The Kinglong panels were never good. They fall apart in a couple of years. The MSRTC ones were in tatters at the end of two years. I vaguely remember seeing the Parveen one too in a very bad shape - with patchworks all over.

Quote:
b) From the side ducting, I imagine a slave engine for the AC. Again why this??
It is possible that this bus was a genset to power the airconditioners (regular ones) - so that they can keep the main engine shut if they need to park the bus for a long time - I am just guessing here.

Quote:
c) The King Longs had single piece wheels with radials mounted on them. This seems like cross-ply tyres mounted on standard 2-piece wheels. Why?
A case of cost cutting? Possibly they are using local wheels here.

Quote:
I still think this is probably a AL Panther chassis.
The driver sits much higher in a Panther. I support the Kinglong theory here. The only other possibility is a Corona.
Old 16th April 2011, 17:05   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you explain more?

Quote:
Also wouldn't buying a city bus chassis be a cheaper option if you had to throw most of the body away.
This would be a chassis only and surely not a new bus being rebuilt
Old 16th April 2011, 18:29   #373
BHPian

Quote:
BEST's intracity Kinglongs do not have them IMHO. Correct me if I am wrong. The bus in attached picture was just a couple of days into service when the pic was clicked.
Attached Thumbnails
The Indian Bus Scene (Discuss new launches and market info here)-img_51981.jpg  

Old 16th April 2011, 21:30   #374
Senior - BHPian

@binai

True, I had not thought of re-utilising an old bus. That may be the case.

@AkMar
I think here we are talking about intercity KLs and not intra-city ones. And among all the pics on this forum and other places that I have got I see KL intercity coaches having single piece wheels.

@Ashley
Two piece truck wheels, or I should strictly say two piece rims, are made up of two pieces, the main rim with a flange only on one side and a locking flange for the other side which holds the tyre in place. A single piece, I assume, is thus self explanatory.

The two-piece rims are mostly not in use any more in developed countries, but ar still in use in the developing world. The split rims are prone to failure while the truck is in motion due to many reasons. They are still in use for heavy vehicles, because replacing an unwieldiness of the HCV tyre requires a proper tyre mounting machine for use with one piece rims. While they can be mounted on two piece rims with hand tools. As machines cant be found commonly in countires like India, we have still not shifted completely to one piece rims.
Old 17th April 2011, 10:15   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very valid point. If there is not capacity issues, why AL has not finished the KerRTC JNNURM orders even now?
A small correction here teamveevee. All the 240 RE-LF buses have reached Kerala. Please pay a visit to TVS Yards in Cochin or Trivandrum, and you will see a good (read, HUGE) number of buses parked around. KeSRTC is going slow on taking deliveries of these buses, which according to them is due to poor demand. KeSRTC is not giving clear answers to why they are not taking deliveries of these buses. At the current count, KeSRTC has taken delivery of hardly 100 of the 240 LF buses they ordered. In contrast, they have taken deliveries of about 65 of the 80 Volvo buses they ordered.

KeSRTC charges a bomb for these buses - Minimum Fare of Rs. 5, and then 75 paise per kilometre. For a 15km journey, I ended up paying Rs. 16 in a Low-Floor Non-AC bus, while a regular bus charged only Rs. 10 for the same journey. No wonder these buses are last on the passenger's list. Moreover, our passengers are used to those airy journeys in regular buses, while airflow is severely restricted in these LF buses (due to sliding glass windows).

While talking to some crew (operating as well as mechanical) of KeSRTC, I understand that there is huge resentment among staffers to these buses. Mechanical staff say that the bus is very difficult to maintain. They say "its scary if you open the engine door. There are belts every where. Its like a horror movie". This is the verbatim of my conversation with a vehicle inspector.

However, Drivers have a different story to say. They say the buses are silk smooth to drive. I traveled in one bus (for about 12kms) and sat at the front seat. The driver was very comfortable with the bus - his only concern was not being able to hear the engine while changing gears. The bus hit a top speed of about 80kmph on the run, and it reached this speed with ease. Although the exterior finish of the bus seemed very poor, the interiors have held on even as the bus completes one year on road.

Sorry for deviating from the topic.
Closed Thread