Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 27th June 2011, 14:40   #481
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Indian Bus Scene (Discuss new launches and market info here)

Should be new only. But no idea about the age.
By looking into the interiors I assume this!
Old 28th June 2011, 21:37   #482
Senior - BHPian

A friend called up from Bangalore: He spotted a brand new coach being built at Azad. It was a Monocoque with a Rear Engine. He said it did not look like a Volvo, and suspects it could be the new MAN RE bus (a Lions coach, perhaps).

Volvo has broken its deal with Azad, isn't it?
Old 28th June 2011, 21:49   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
A friend called up from Bangalore: He spotted a brand new coach being built at Azad. It was a Monocoque with a Rear Engine. He said it did not look like a Volvo, and suspects it could be the new MAN RE bus (a Lions coach, perhaps).

Yes, it has.

Does he have any pictures of the new bus ?
Old 28th June 2011, 21:55   #484
Senior - BHPian

Monocoque coaches from MAN????

As far as I know MAN buses are available in chassis, in both RE and FE versions in Europe and are pretty popular too. And the Lion's Coaches are not monocoque construction buses.

This may be something else, may be an entry by Azad themselves in to the bus market with monocoque buses powered by Cummins/Leyland engines, something like Corona. And with almost a decade of body building experience for Volvo, there is reason why they should try something like this.
Old 28th June 2011, 22:09   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
As far as I know MAN buses are available in chassis, in both RE and FE versions in Europe and are pretty popular too. And the Lion's Coaches are not monocoque construction buses.
May be it is a Chassis bus.. he saw it after the body was built on it - he said its a Monocoque bus based on the luggage space he saw. But then Volvo is not a true Monocoque, and it has enough luggage space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
This may be something else, may be an entry by Azad themselves in to the bus market with monocoque buses powered by Cummins/Leyland engines, something like Corona. And with almost a decade of body building experience for Volvo, there is reason why they should try something like this.
I doubt this. They have entered into a contract with MAN - I suspect if they would be allowed to make an independent foray now. Just my thoughts.
Old 28th June 2011, 22:12   #486
BHPian

Quote:

Didn't Volvo take over Azad? Or did it just buy out the JV? i.e. the bus building facility where the Volvos were made?
Old 28th June 2011, 22:15   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
Didn't Volvo take over Azad? Or did it just buy out the JV? i.e. the bus building facility where the Volvos were made?
AFAIK, Volvo took over only the plant that was manufacturing Volvo buses. AZAD still exists, and they've been building a lot of FE buses for Ashok Leyland these days. They are also a OEM Supplier for Ashok Leyland - especially Mini buses.
Old 28th June 2011, 23:10   #488
BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK, Volvo took over only the plant that was manufacturing Volvo buses. AZAD still exists, and they've been building a lot of FE buses for Ashok Leyland these days. They are also a OEM Supplier for Ashok Leyland - especially Mini buses.
I see, so has MAN signed a deal or something with them? Or are they just making a demonstration vehicle?
Old 29th June 2011, 18:26   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalokg View Post
Does he have any pictures of the new bus ?
Sadly, NO. He got off his car to take a pic, but the guys at the workshop saw him doing so, and the bus was quickly taken back inside and the gates were locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
I see, so has MAN signed a deal or something with them? Or are they just making a demonstration vehicle?
Yes. MAN-Force announced in the mid 2010 that they have tied up with Jaico for building bodies.
Old 2nd July 2011, 16:32   #490
BHPian

Default A Hispano starts where B9R withdraws

In a strange case, VRL has withdrawn its Multi Axle Volvo services between Bellary and Mumbai due to suspension related failures due to very bad patches in the route. The only AC service availabe in that route is from a relatively new operator 'SRE' travels who is running a fleet of Brand new Hispano Divo coaches(285 HP version). Its also interesting to note that its hard to find even a B7R on that route. Reaffirms my doubt that the Volvos run best on well paved roads and for less than perfect roads, one may have to look at local options.
Pls throw some light on the ride, comfort level etc of the Hispano, if someone has travelled in the route.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Hispano Divo.bmp (589.6 KB, 1347 views)
Old 2nd July 2011, 18:46   #491
Senior - BHPian

I have had one very short experience in the older Tata Hispanos, and it was pretty good. But cant really say how it compares in terms of comfort, as it was on very smooth roads.

The guy who had hired the bus, said there wasnt much difference in comfort, compared to B7Rs.

This is the first of the new 285hp Tata Divos that has come to the forums notice.
Old 2nd July 2011, 23:02   #492
Senior - BHPian

I had a pretty bad experience with a Hispano. I'd posted it in the Travel Reviews thread. The bus belonged to SRS Travels, and I'd travelled from Bangalore to Chennai. The bus was fast, but the seats were crappy and so was the suspension - it took me all four days to get back to office, thanks to a horrible back pain that was not there before this journey.
Old 2nd July 2011, 23:50   #493
BHPian

I have travelled on the Hispano a few times. The ride quality and comfort is no match for the Volvo 9400. The engine seemed to be a bit sluggish. The aisle is very very narrow.

Aalok
Old 3rd July 2011, 07:18   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalokg View Post
I have travelled on the Hispano a few times. The ride quality and comfort is no match for the Volvo 9400. The engine seemed to be a bit sluggish. The aisle is very very narrow.

Aalok
The older Hispano engine is 105hp down on the 9400s, obviously its sluggish. The newer one is about 55hp down, thus will be more like the older B7Rs.
Old 4th July 2011, 12:20   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I had a pretty bad experience with a Hispano. I'd posted it in the Travel Reviews thread. The bus belonged to SRS Travels, and I'd travelled from Bangalore to Chennai. The bus was fast, but the seats were crappy and so was the suspension - it took me all four days to get back to office, thanks to a horrible back pain that was not there before this journey.
Thats the old BS II 235 HP version which is discontinued now. I hear that the new 285HP BS III version is different from the 235 HP version. The opinion i was looking for was that of the 285 HP version as many have already given feedback about that. Any Bellary - Mumbai travellers pls help
Closed Thread