Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 27th October 2011, 19:50   #661
BHPian

Default Re: The Indian Bus Scene (Discuss new launches and market info here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
AJL demands is little odd as they have designed all their stations to the height of 900mm making only FE SLF's to run in the system.
AC in FE SLF was not available with both AL and TM .
But AJL wanted to try AL Viking slf with AC and obviously it failed as its intended design was different. No Foreign players have ready products meeting the floor height of 900mm. These press reports IMHO are given just for advertisement.
AJL should wait till a product is developed by AL and TM.
If engine power is the issue, can AL / TML offer FESLF with some 230HP engine they used in 12M & MarcopoloRELF respectively.
Old 28th October 2011, 09:48   #662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
If engine power is the issue, can AL / TML offer FESLF with some 230HP engine they used in 12M & MarcopoloRELF respectively.
You are right and both the OEM should be given some time to develop the same!
Hope they are in the Job.
Old 7th November 2011, 12:20   #663
Senior - BHPian

Happened to read this in Motor India print edition...A new Tata Starbus for Southern markets...
Quote:
A specially designed stage carriage bus, The Tata Starbus 57 seater is built on the most widely accepted LPO1512 BS3 chasis to suit Southern regions customer needs. It is powered by the most efficient Tata Cummins 135 HP 24 Valve mechanical engine with an optimized gear boxand drive train for better milage, age and performance.
The vehicle comes with comfortable hi-back seats, double door for trouble-free entry and exit, spacious aisle area with grab handles and roof luggage carrier for storage.
Anybody seen this bus? Stage carriage, does any private operators buy fully built stage carraige buses yet? Also looks like built on 1512, the ones supplied to STUs under JNNURM are 1618s? How did the market respond to this introduction?
Old 7th November 2011, 17:03   #664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
does any private operators buy fully built stage carraige buses yet?
If the boscode has come into effect, they have no other option. But a 57 seater??? I doubt. Most buses in Kl are 43 or lesser (2x2) seating. The 3x2 seats you see on most LS/ FSLS buses are "bootleg" seats, fitted after the annual ritual called "testwork".
Old 7th November 2011, 17:34   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
If the boscode has come into effect, they have no other option. But a 57 seater??? I doubt. Most buses in Kl are 43 or lesser (2x2) seating. The 3x2 seats you see on most LS/ FSLS buses are "bootleg" seats, fitted after the annual ritual called "testwork".
So, they remove those seats every year and pop in 2 seaters for the test and revert back afterwards?
Old 7th November 2011, 18:31   #666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
So, they remove those seats every year and pop in 2 seaters for the test and revert back afterwards?
They don't remove those seats and pop in 2-seaters. The bus while registering, will have 2x2 seating. Then, they add single seats on the RHS rows, making it a 2x3, so additional 10-12 seats in all, taking the total seating capacity to ~55.

For long distance routes, people prefer to sit and travel comfortably and most people will hesitate to board a bus that's full, hence more seats = more revenue. For short-haul, they actually remove seats - most often the seat opposite to the rear door. Effect - space for 4-5 people to stand.
Old 7th November 2011, 20:37   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
They don't remove those seats and pop in 2-seaters. The bus while registering, will have 2x2 seating. Then, they add single seats on the RHS rows, making it a 2x3, so additional 10-12 seats in all, taking the total seating capacity to ~55.
Exactly. IF you see a 2+1 seat on teh RHS, you can bet your life on the fact that the actual seats on the bus is more than what the Regn. records say.

Quote:
For long distance routes, people prefer to sit and travel comfortably and most people will hesitate to board a bus that's full, hence more seats = more revenue. For short-haul, they actually remove seats - most often the seat opposite to the rear door. Effect - space for 4-5 people to stand.

Guilty as charged, saaarr!!!! (We used to do this - and we operated only short haul buses - longest route was 32 or 35 KM).
Old 7th November 2011, 20:53   #668
BHPian

Quote:

I don't get what you mean? The LS/FP buses I've seen with 3X2 seating have a single piece 3-seater seat. They are definitely not 2+1 arrangement.
Old 7th November 2011, 20:56   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't get what you mean? The LS/FP buses I've seen with 3X2 seating have a single piece 3-seater seat. They are definitely not 2+1 arrangement.

A significant number do use the bootleg seats.
Old 7th November 2011, 21:01   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
A significant number do use the bootleg seats.
Well, maybe buses around Kottayam are an exception maybe? Those who do the 2+1 thing have to remove the additional seat when inspection time comes na? So how do the buses I see around here manage?
Old 8th November 2011, 09:45   #671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two possibilities:
1. Like you said, they replace the single piece 3 seater with a 2 seater.
2. The buses are genuinely showing their passenger capacity in the records (though I doubt it)

Quote:
Well, maybe buses around Kottayam are an exception maybe? Those who do the 2+1 thing have to remove the additional seat when inspection time comes na? So how do the buses I see around here manage?
If it's #1 above, you should understand that a lot of things can be done and done away with, with some paper (the kind with the Father of the Nation's photo and figures with 2-3 zeroes etc etc printed...), bottles, free gifts etc to some powerful people
Old 8th November 2011, 16:28   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Two possibilities:
1. Like you said, they replace the single piece 3 seater with a 2 seater.
2. The buses are genuinely showing their passenger capacity in the records (though I doubt it)

If it's #1 above, you should understand that a lot of things can be done and done away with, with some paper (the kind with the Father of the Nation's photo and figures with 2-3 zeroes etc etc printed...), bottles, free gifts etc to some powerful people

Well, I did a check on the Kerala MVD site for registration details of a bus and compared pictures of the same bus and it's got the correct 48 seats in the 3X2 arrangement in the site. So, that doubts cleared.

But now I wonder how they stuff 55 seats in some buses?!! It must be a 12M chassis na?
Old 8th November 2011, 17:51   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I did a check on the Kerala MVD site for registration details of a bus and compared pictures of the same bus and it's got the correct 48 seats in the 3X2 arrangement in the site. So, that doubts cleared.
So that's one honest private bus operator. But there are a lot more who are not.

Quote:
But now I wonder how they stuff 55 seats in some buses?!! It must be a 12M chassis na?
Not necessarily. An AshLey Viking with 5639mm wheel-base can seat 57 seats, according to their website. Route buses with 2x3 seating are designed to carry more passengers than provide better comfort, hence they compromise on the seat widths and leg space that are taken care of in inter-city/inter-state buses
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 21:38   #674
BHPian

Default TATA Globus SF

Finally that happened...
RR 209, KeSRTC Globus converted at ALUVA RW to a Super Fast with shutters and retaining the old push back seats.
Image Credits: Binai and Sankar
The bus has only one entry/exit door. The bus broke down on road in its first trip from Irinjalakuda to Thiruvananthapuram. Reached till 100 mtrs behind TVM Bus stand from IJK. There it got Diesel pump failure. It created a huge block on the narrow road.
Attached Thumbnails
The Indian Bus Scene (Discuss new launches and market info here)-rr-209-final.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 9th November 2011, 16:09   #675
Senior - BHPian

I had been under the impression that only Tata-built buses carry the Globus trademark. It will not be good for the brand's reputation if it is allowed to be affixed even on locally-built bus bodies.
Closed Thread