Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 17th July 2010, 22:19   #421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjosek View Post
As of now, 50 KSRTC buses have hit the roads. most of them are Tata 1512 buses built at Aluva, Central and Mavelikara Workshops of KSRTC. There are also some Ashok Leyland Viking buses built by Edappal workshop of KSRTC.
You missed buses from Kozhikode workshop!!! I saw a couple of RNKxxx buses today working "Thirukochi" services... one photo attached:
Attached Thumbnails
City Buses of various STUs all over India-p1420244.jpg  

binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 22:51   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
KSRTC has to work very hard to compete with private buses. They cannot do much with 50 buses, against the 700 odd private buses. Anyway, this is good, as a start.

Pictures:
1. Central Workshop built 1512 Tata
2. Aluva Workshop built 1512 Tata
3. Mavelikara Workshop built 1512 Tata
4. Edappal Workshop built Leyland Viking
Private bus lobby will kill it anyway, It is just for the authorities to bargain for more money, Anyway elections are coming, and the very likely this is the ministers last term.
By the way, Central workshop built Tata is the best looking KSRTC bus ever. Not sure why Mavelikkara is still using that horrible old design front. ALs double grill is the worst. I always wonder, Why KSRTC dont have a common design, and source the body panels centrally?
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 22:53   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
You missed buses from Kozhikode workshop!!! I saw a couple of RNKxxx buses today working "Thirukochi" services... one photo attached:
Nice to know that KSRTC has started these services. I think the best thing about these buses is the fact that they have operational doors both front and back. Will try and get a ride in then the next time I'm in Kochi.
smashnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 23:08   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Binai, Where are the rest of the pictures? Looking forward to your album on "Thirukochi buses"
Old 17th July 2010, 23:28   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I would have been happy if KeSRTC started some services directly connecting the suburbs without entering the city's heart. Like
  • Aluva - Kakkanad via Edappally & palarivattom; also via CUSAT, Pookkattupady, etc. (at least 4 different routes are possible)
  • Chittoor - Kakkanad / Chittoor Aluva / Chittoor - Edappally - Cheranelloore - Chittoor Circular
  • Fort Cochin - Valanjambalam - Vytilla - Kundanoor - Halt (the one on W. Island) - Thoppumpady circular
  • Thrippunithura - Aluva - via Info park and Kakkanad
  • Panangad - Vytilla - Valanjambalam - Thevara - Kundanoor - Panangad circular via W. Island / Naval Base
  • Kannamaly - Fort Cochin - Thoppumpady - Aroor Thuravoor - Kannamaly - Circular (thuravoor - Aroor is not considered city service right now).A possible alternative here is Via Kumblanghi once the new bride at Ezhupunna is finished).
  • Manjummel - Edayar - Pathalam - Aluva - Kalamassery - Edappally - Manjummel circular.
  • Chottinakkara - Thalayolaparambu - Vaikom - Poothotta - Nadakkav - Mulamthuruthy - Chottinakkara Circular (at least 3 possible routes).
  • Mini buses on Panampalli nagar - Thevara - Malayala Manorama route
  • Mini Buses on Elamakkara - Kaloor - Edappally circular route
  • Mini buses on Chittoor - Kaloor - Edappally route
Any chance that these suggestions could be brought to attention of KeSRTC authorities? That is enough ammunition for at least 100 buses.
@BaCkSeAtDrIVeR - Well said!

I find the present routes decided by KSRTC for "thrukochi" service is purely on "profit consideration". Most of them are already jam packed with private buses. When there are private buses every 3 minutes from Aluva to Ernakulam, why KSRTC is bring in more buses in this sector only!!
Meanwhile its really disappointing to note the name given to these buses.
Transsenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 01:41   #426
Senior - BHPian

Transsenger - thanks, I thought nobody else noticed. Just think of number of people changing buses at places like Kacheripady (chittoor route), Edappally (Cheranellore route), Edapally toll (pookkattupady route), Palarivattom (kakkanad and Thammanam / Med. Centerroutes) Vytilla, (all directions), Medical trust (for Thevara / Thoppumpady routes) etc.

And I missed out the Vypeen people.

it is is not profit consideration - it is merely "follow the leader".

In he past, the route in greatest demand was "Aluva - Fort cochin", But it was not the most profitable route - the profitable route were Cheranellore > panangad, or Mattancherry - Edacochin.

This is, IMHO herd mentality.

I guess this kind of herd mentality exists even in the airline industry, where all airlines want to be in the high volume (by total number of passengers) route; not the high volume (by occupancy ratio) basis.

Notice that at least one a/c Volvo is on the Aluva Fort Cochin route, albeit via Vytilla and Kundanoor?

While traveling on trains, I have noticed that a large number of commuters get off at aluva (for trains coming from North) and Thripunithura (for trains coming from Kottayam) to reach Kakkanad and surroundings.

Fact is, if the KeSRTC can put in buses at a frequency of not less than 10 minutes on the routes suggested, the suggested routes would be far more profitable than the existing ones.

And yes, I do think that the "thiru Kochi" is a very kanji name. I guess they drew inspiration from the "Malabar", "Venad" and "Ananthapuri" series.

BTW, I noticed at least one "Malabar" KeSRTC at Thiruvananthapuram!!!
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 11:16   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Private bus lobby will kill it anyway, It is just for the authorities to bargain for more money, Anyway elections are coming, and the very likely this is the ministers last term.
I hope the services co-exist. Given the number of buses being inducted, it would be difficult to stop the service as such.

Quote:
By the way, Central workshop built Tata is the best looking KSRTC bus ever. Not sure why Mavelikkara is still using that horrible old design front. ALs double grill is the worst.
Although the buses from CW look the best, they are the worst on finish. Very often, the buses would have patches on them while being delivered itself! Passenger comfort too, especially at the front, is bad in buses from CW.

The Mavelikkara design is fondly called as "Underwear" design my KeSRTC Fans. (Have a look at buses from MVKA, you'll understand why). They did change a bit, but the new design looked even horrible.

Quote:
I always wonder, Why KSRTC dont have a common design, and source the body panels centrally?
How true. That would be beneficial when accident damages occur as well.

Quote:
Binai, Where are the rest of the pictures? Looking forward to your album on "Thirukochi buses"
Oh! That is the biggest appreciation i've received - thanks a lot.

Here are the rest of the images.

Quote:
And I missed out the Vypeen people.
KeSRTC had grand plans to introduce 20 buses on the Gosree route, connecting Ernakulam and Parur/Kodungallur. However, the plan is currently in the cold storage after private operators challenged it in court.

Quote:
In he past, the route in greatest demand was "Aluva - Fort cochin", But it was not the most profitable route - the profitable route were Cheranellore > panangad, or Mattancherry - Edacochin.
Cheranellore-Chittoor-Panangad should be the most profitable route. Have seen horribly crowded buses on this route even during mid-afternoons. The first "city" service of KeSRTC was indeed from Chittoor to Panangad. Among the new services, they've started a service from Cheranellore to Trippunithura via Chittoor, Menaka.

Quote:
Notice that at least one a/c Volvo is on the Aluva Fort Cochin route, albeit via Vytilla and Kundanoor?
Not one, but two! KeSRTC operates Airport-Fort Kochi (via Vyttila, Kundanoor) and Aluva-Fort Kochi (via Edappally, Padma).

Quote:
And yes, I do think that the "thiru Kochi" is a very kanji name. I guess they drew inspiration from the "Malabar", "Venad" and "Ananthapuri" series.
The name Thirukochi was suggested by Script writer, John Paul. The Minister was adamant on having a name for the services in the City, it seems.

Quote:
BTW, I noticed at least one "Malabar" KeSRTC at Thiruvananthapuram!!!
Ordinary Buses built by Edappal and Kozhikode workshops are invariably named "Malabar" irrespective of where the bus is destined to. Later, the individual depots rename it to Venad. There are Venad buses in Malabar, and Malabar buses in Venad. Kumily depot has a "Malabar" bus running between Kumily and Ernakulam.
Old 18th July 2010, 11:35   #428
BHPian

The "city service" Volvo buses which run between Ernakulam and Alwaye are getting very popular. In addition to the earlier buses which run between Ankamali and Aroor and Airport and Fort Kochi (both of which skip Alwaye town and use the Vytilla byepass), now there are Volvos starting from Alwaye Bus station which go either via Padma theatre or via Marine Drive and mostly terminate at Fort Kochi. These buses are well patronised and normally has standing room only by the time it reaches Kalamasserry. Fare is reasonable (30 Rs from Alwaye to Marine Drive). Glad that finally we have a good alternative to those losy private busus. There are also a few Non AC JnURMS (I think they are ALs) but these are not too popular and according to a news report was running at big lossess.
TKMCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 13:39   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Ordinary Buses built by Edappal and Kozhikode workshops are invariably named "Malabar" irrespective of where the bus is destined to. Later, the individual depots rename it to Venad. There are Venad buses in Malabar, and Malabar buses in Venad. Kumily depot has a "Malabar" bus running between Kumily and Ernakulam.
Kumily has another Malabar running Vandiperiyar-Kambam (in Tamil Nadu) .
smashnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 18:53   #430
BHPian

Quote:
The first "city" service of KeSRTC was indeed from Chittoor to Panangad.
That bus is not from Chittoor but starts from "Vaduthala Jetty" to Panangad.
Old 18th July 2010, 19:26   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
That bus is not from Chittoor but starts from "Vaduthala Jetty" to Panangad.
Oops! I was about to type "(Vaduthala?)" along with Chittoor, but missed it out.. Thanks for the correction (and apologies for the wrong info).

Here is a pic of this particular bus. [Its a SWB Cheetah]. These SWBs are the best for Kochi City - our roads are too narrow for full-size buses. Give us some SWBs to be run on short roads please!
Attached Thumbnails
City Buses of various STUs all over India-p1400117.jpg  

Old 18th July 2010, 20:03   #432
BHPian

Yesterday i happened to see one Thirukochi (Cheranelloor-Thripunithura via chittoor) struggling to negotiate curves & turns through the narrow road in chittoor. And when a private bus came in opposite direction, the road was jam packed with traffic. Then i realized that the technical team at KSRTC has not customized these new buses for city service. Unlike Trivandrum the roads in Kochi are really small/narrow and too congested already.

I find the new KeSRTC ThiruKochi buses of are mostly built on Tata LP1512C 5800mm wheelbase chassis. That means they are using the same big chassis (like other Fast /Venad etc) for city service also. The technical team at Ksrtc should have taken the geographic factors also into consideration. Moreover the design of these buses are the same as their long distance buses (FP/SuperFast).
1. They should have gone for shorter wheelbase chassis like Tata LP1512c 5200WB or AL 194"WB Viking on interior routes.
2. They could have lowered the floor height by at least 10-15 cms (which is possible with the regular chassis) when compared with their existing design FP/Venad type buses. The doors could have been wider like the MTC buses or BMTC buses.
3. The seats could have been like the one on AL JnNURM bus.

Having said that, now we shall wait n' see, how the private bus operators respond! A healthy competition will/can bring in more innovations in the design & features of private buses...like we find in case of Limited Stop long distance services. Finally we hope to get good buses to travel in near future!
Old 18th July 2010, 22:45   #433
Senior - BHPian

Transsenger - I did mention that for past 20 years or so, there has not been an increase in Kochi private bus fleet b even one bus.

What I did not mention is that the bus owners have used this near monopoly to replace their onder buses, mostly 43 seats or more seating capaciwith minibuses. If you have not noticed, more than 75% of Kochi's buses are mini buses - with 34 or even lesser number of seats. (translates to a cool savings of 5-6 K or more per quarter in taxes).

Hence, the K3SRTC buses appear very huge.

They are not. KeSRTC buses appear to me, to be actually smaller than most buses in the byegone era. And they are wider than normal private buses.

What I do find amusing in most of these buses is that rear appears to be taller than front. Usually, a norm for most TATA buses, but AL buses almost always had a very tall front end, mostly due to after market increase in number of leaf springs. (See raj_5004's thread on his luxury / contract carriage buses).
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 10:08   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
KSRTC has launched the much awaited City Service buses in Kochi. Kochi sity is dominated by private buses. There are more than 700 buses operating presently. As of now, 50 KSRTC buses have hit the roads. most of them are Tata 1512 buses
Add the JNNURM buses also to this list...Will that be sufficient. What is the status of the remaining Volvo and AL SLF buses supposed to be procured under JNNURM, Are not they supposed to get ~50 Mini buses also?
Once you add all these to the 50 Thiru Kochi buses, i think there will be enough KSRTC buses on Kochi roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
1. They should have gone for shorter wheelbase chassis like Tata LP1512c 5200WB or AL 194"WB Viking on interior routes.
There were plans under JNNURM to procure Mini buses, not sure what happened to that. Ideally i think they should have purchased Fully built SLF, Non-AC marcopolo buses (like the ones service in Chennai, Madurai etc), But nobody want to risk their chances while the elections are near.
Old 19th July 2010, 17:53   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Add the JNNURM buses also to this list...Will that be sufficient. What is the status of the remaining Volvo and AL SLF buses supposed to be procured under JNNURM, Are not they supposed to get ~50 Mini buses also?
Five more Leyland RE LF buses are ready to be sent to Kochi at the Central Workshop. It seems these buses would be run on Mattanchery-Perumbavoor and Aroor-Edakochi-Kakkanad routes (Two each). No route has been decided for the fifth one. Some insiders point that six more Volvos may join the present 13 very soon.

Quote:
There were plans under JNNURM to procure Mini buses, not sure what happened to that. Ideally i think they should have purchased Fully built SLF, Non-AC marcopolo buses (like the ones service in Chennai, Madurai etc), But nobody want to risk their chances while the elections are near.
The Mini-Bus plan has been dumped, according to some sources. The funding was for 30 buses. Some people at the Ernakulam Zonal office mentioned that they might purchase 30 Cut-Chassis (SWB) instead, but some mention the plan has been scrapped and the government is trying to get permission from the centre to buy boats instead!

I am not very convinced about the Marcopolos - the interior, although looks good, is poor when it comes to durability. Its already common to see parts broken and tied up using ropes. The plasticky interiors, seriously, are not suited for the kind of abuse city buses would see.