Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 25th January 2011, 16:04   #541
BHPian

Default Re: City Buses of various STUs all over India

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
They are TATA 1612s not 1613s.
Well, there goes 10 HP down the drain. When is KSRTC going to learn? They didn't make such mistakes for the AL 12M buses; then why with the Tata's?
smashnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 18:16   #542
Senior - BHPian

Who said they don't make such mistakes with ALs? They run 180hp (or is it 160?) 12Ms with a slave engine as AC buses, use 114hp Vikings on Kottayam-CBE route, and the 5 year old 180hp ones (5years+ old) as ordinary buses. Oh yeah, and they use a 22 Ton GVW truck chassis (AL2214) for a 12KL tanker
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 19:16   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
Well, there goes 10 HP down the drain. When is KSRTC going to learn? They didn't make such mistakes for the AL 12M buses; then why with the Tata's?
Well, I am not sure, but I don't think 10hp goes down. AFAIK, 1612 BSIII comes with a 131hp engine.

And, they only did blunders with AL orders. The 12M buses they bought were 114hp ones - the TATA is atleast 131hp! But then, AL scores in passenger comfort - but I found the bus struggling badly. Recently, heard that the buses have been "tuned" and they are picking up better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Who said they don't make such mistakes with ALs? They run 180hp (or is it 160?) 12Ms with a slave engine as AC buses, use 114hp Vikings on Kottayam-CBE route, and the 5 year old 180hp ones (5years+ old) as ordinary buses.
Thankfully, some sense has dawned on KSRTC. They are using a couple of them (old 12M AC buses) as "Super Deluxe" buses on Intra-state routes.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 19:41   #544
BHPian

Quote:
And, they only did blunders with AL orders. The 12M buses they bought were 114hp ones - the TATA is atleast 131hp! But then, AL scores in passenger comfort - but I found the bus struggling badly. Recently, heard that the buses have been "tuned" and they are picking up better now.
Seriously! Did they get 114hp motors for the AL Super Expresse! God have mercy on them.

Could you tell me what kind of power ratings the usual AL and Tata buses possess in KeSRTC's fleet? Is the RN series order book filled up? How many of the same series have been built at the RW's? CW built quality is poor. I miss the Kozhikode and Edappal bodies.
Old 25th January 2011, 20:26   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seriously! Did they get 114hp motors for the AL Super Expresse! God have mercy on them.
Yes. Its confirmed. The AL Super Expresses are only 114hp.

Quote:
Could you tell me what kind of power ratings the usual AL and Tata buses possess in KeSRTC's fleet? Is the RN series order book filled up? How many of the same series have been built at the RW's? CW built quality is poor. I miss the Kozhikode and Edappal bodies.
They are using 114HP Leyland buses and 126/132HP TATA buses. Buses for the RN series have been booked/purchased. RN series has already reached 72x now. (RNC722, 12M Sup. Exp. TATA is the last spotted bus). Majority of the buses in RN series are TATAs (infact, there are very few Leyland Ordinary buses in the RN series).

This year very little buses have come out from Kozhikode and Edappal workshops - almost all the Leyland Super Fast buses in RN series are from Kozhikode/Edappal workshops (same with Leyland Fast Passengers).

Aluva Workshop (the only other workshop that builds good bodies) are building only Fast Passenger (TATA) buses this year.
Old 25th January 2011, 21:03   #546
BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK, 1612 BSIII comes with a 131hp engine.

I believe those new Tata 1612LPO super express are BS2 versions and not BS3!
Transsenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 21:58   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. Its confirmed. The AL Super Expresses are only 114hp.

They are using 114HP Leyland buses and 126/132HP TATA buses. Buses for the RN series have been booked/purchased. RN series has already reached 72x now. (RNC722, 12M Sup. Exp. TATA is the last spotted bus). Majority of the buses in RN series are TATAs (infact, there are very few Leyland Ordinary buses in the RN series).

This year very little buses have come out from Kozhikode and Edappal workshops - almost all the Leyland Super Fast buses in RN series are from Kozhikode/Edappal workshops (same with Leyland Fast Passengers).

Aluva Workshop (the only other workshop that builds good bodies) are building only Fast Passenger (TATA) buses this year.
Is there any specific reason why the RW's aren't producing much bodies in this series? Most of them are from the CW.

What's the power figures for the the Al FP's?
Old 25th January 2011, 22:43   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any specific reason why the RW's aren't producing much bodies in this series? Most of them are from the CW.
Most of the buses made this year were Ordinaries - now the trend is slowly shifting FPs. I guess the other two RWs (KKD and Edappal) are building their share - but just that they are being circulated to depots in the Malabar area itself.

Interestingly, a good share of the initial RN series buses went to Malabar areas. Only after about RNx2nn they started allotting more buses to central/south kerala.

Quote:
What's the power figures for the the Al FP's?
114hp engine. Not sure of torque. Interstingly, ALL Leylands come with the same engine - including the SWBs! There was a news that the new Leyland Super Fasts came with a better powered engine - but no confirmation on that.
Old 25th January 2011, 23:04   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They are TATA 1612s not 1613s.
My mistake, i thought they are 1613s. Hope KerRTC will get the 1618s some day...
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 16:30   #550
Senior - BHPian

bnaiks - is that interstate bus really having air suspension?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 18:59   #551
BHPian

Quote:
114hp engine. Not sure of torque. Interstingly, ALL Leylands come with the same engine - including the SWBs! There was a news that the new Leyland Super Fasts came with a better powered engine - but no confirmation on that.
Witnessed two RN series Leylands in person slumbering up the NH 220. Are the Tata's more powerful in comparison?
Old 27th January 2011, 10:23   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
bnaiks - is that interstate bus really having air suspension?
Yes. I did check the rear axle when the bus was parked.

Quote:
Witnessed two RN series Leylands in person slumbering up the NH 220. Are the Tata's more powerful in comparison?
Following power figures, Yes. The TATA has more hp in comparison to a Leyland. However, I believe the power delivery in a TATA is not as linear as in the case of Leyland - purely observational, I don't have documents to back my claim.

I've seen TATA buses losing steam badly once they cross 60kmph, while the Leylands keep going till 90 (I've followed Leyland buses at 80~85kmph, and they were far ahead of me). (Again - observational. Could be a trait of the driver as well).
Old 27th January 2011, 11:14   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Following power figures, Yes. The TATA has more hp in comparison to a Leyland. However, I believe the power delivery in a TATA is not as linear as in the case of Leyland - purely observational, I don't have documents to back my claim.

I've seen TATA buses losing steam badly once they cross 60kmph, while the Leylands keep going till 90 (I've followed Leyland buses at 80~85kmph, and they were far ahead of me). (Again - observational. Could be a trait of the driver as well).
I second that. I've done a steady 80kmph for quite some distance on NH-47 with a Leyland SF as pilot, towards Coimbatore. From the way it overtook some trucks, I can easily say that it did cross 90+ for brief periods.

And yes, one of the FPs i'd travelled in, from Coimbatore to Palakkad (I'd mentioned about it here, in one of the posts in Intercity Travel Reviews thread) was doing decent speeds without struggling at all.

I remember travelling in a TATA FP (1613 or 1512, i'm not sure) from Aluva to Ekm, and the driver never went above the 3rd gear as otherwise the bus won't pull the load of some 40+ sitting and 20+ standing pax

Last edited by silversteed : 27th January 2011 at 11:17.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 22:17   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I did check the rear axle when the bus was parked.

One more query. Do the Tata FP's have 6 gears? How about the Super Exp?
Old 27th January 2011, 23:08   #555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more query. Do the Tata FP's have 6 gears? How about the Super Exp?
The new TATA 1512s purchased this year have 6-speed boxes. I am not sure if the chassis used for ordinary buses also have 6-speed boxes (AFAIK, there is no difference between the chassis - but I'll certainly check this out).

The TATA Super-Expresses also have 6-speed boxes.

The Leylands have a 5 speed box (with the 1st being "Load gear" or "hanuman gear"). But still the Leylands win in all department when it comes to long distance haulage in Kerala.